Ravens thoughts????

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Ravens thoughts????

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:17 pm

Get a good start, put some points up, and then play a consistent game....no stupid offensive holding penalties, ..we are 5 point underdogs by oddsmakers. WE are going to find out how good we are now in this game and going forward!
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Re: Ravens thoughts????

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:52 pm

Spohawk5092 wrote:Get a good start, put some points up, and then play a consistent game....no stupid offensive holding penalties, ..we are 5 point underdogs by oddsmakers. WE are going to find out how good we are now in this game and going forward!

Yeah, this will be a lot better gauge than the Browns, Cards, Giants, or Panthers. The Ravens are hot, have a well-balanced defense that is stout against both the run and the pass, and we're playing them in their house. We must win the turnover battle if we are to have a chance at an upset. We also have to do better in the red zone. Geno has thrown a red zone pick in each of the past two games. He can't do that against this team.

We're relatively healthy, although our guards are both questionable. It's an early start for us, but I've never bought into this east coast jinx crap.

I see a low scoring game. I'd love to pick us, but I can't with the way our offense has been playing. 20-17 Ravens.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:16 am

Ugh. We're wearing the Road Kill Whites. Better pull your bets.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:29 am

If we awarded points for higher punt average, I think we got this in the bag. Low scoring, but I see us losing 24-10.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:53 am

Geno's starting out slow, 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter and he's just 3-8 for31 yards and a bad interception. Defense doesn't look too bad, but the offense needs to come to the party.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:56 am

Boye, much needed young man. :o
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:59 am

Yeah, Mafe is a beast and having a breakout season. But the offense continues to stumble. We're 1-6 on 3rd down. The D can't win this game on their own.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:07 pm

we just do not look sharp so far. If I didn't know better I would say all the travel has caught up with the Hawks. Got some adjustments to make at halftime........
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:07 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, Mafe is a beast and having a breakout season. But the offense continues to stumble. We're 1-6 on 3rd down. The D can't win this game on their own.

nope and offense is doing little to help.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:21 pm

not a good first half. 3 is better than nothing but got some adjustments to make.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:45 pm

So far, this one is all on the offense. We had one big play to Metcalf but couldn't convert in the red zone. Two turnovers, lots of passes batted down which is just begging for an unlucky bounce and an interception. Geno is 6-14 with 4 sacks and a pick, we're just 1-8 on 3rd down, just 30 yards rushing, and they get the ball to start the 2nd half. That was a sordid half of football by our offense, a continuation of our 2nd half performance vs. the Browns last week minus the last drive.

But the bright side is that as bad as we played, we're down by just two scores.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:19 pm

The sad truth here, this is exactly what I expected from the Seahawks. Geno is extremely limited to what he can or can not do, and this offense is too predictable and doesn't have the play designs that newer offense run today. Most of us shouldn't be surprised.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:24 pm

4XPIPS wrote:The sad truth here, this is exactly what I expected from the Seahawks. Geno is extremely limited to what he can or can not do, and this offense is too predictable and doesn't have the play designs that newer offense run today. Most of us shouldn't be surprised.

I'm not. I feared the game may go this way. Team just doesn't look sharp to me, and as I said earlier, we will now find out how good, or not, we are going forward as the schedule is really tough.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:25 pm

The Ravens are a better team than the Hawks. Full stop. Sure, we can point out the 3rd down issues that have plagued this team all season and note how Geno hasn't been playing well. But in my mind, this is just a Ravens defense that is better than the Hawks' offense and it shows. Our OL has been confused, beaten man-to-man, or both all game and the result is the inept offense we've been seeing.

The run D is porous, and I think Hurtt's schemes are leaving way too many pockets of space in the 2nd level, but they aren't playing terribly. Not well, but not terribly.

I'm not too surprised, and most of us came into the season thinking that the Hawks were a tier below the real contenders, and this game just shows that we were right about that. It does make me surprised that PC/JS thought this team was close enough that a 10-game rental of Leonard Williams would make a difference.
Oly
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:32 pm

Well when you give up a 2nd round pick to bolster the DL.. This move usually indicates you are making a deep playoff run. We aren't out of the playoff race by any means, but we can't hang with a top tier team with this QB and this offense. I think Pete is convinced we have an offense to compete with, but he needs a slap across the face to wake his a$$ up and realize our offense is average at best. I was expecting to lose this game, but at least put a fight and that is the part that hurts more than anything.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:45 pm

Oly wrote:The Ravens are a better team than the Hawks. Full stop. Sure, we can point out the 3rd down issues that have plagued this team all season and note how Geno hasn't been playing well. But in my mind, this is just a Ravens defense that is better than the Hawks' offense and it shows. Our OL has been confused, beaten man-to-man, or both all game and the result is the inept offense we've been seeing.

The run D is porous, and I think Hurtt's schemes are leaving way too many pockets of space in the 2nd level, but they aren't playing terribly. Not well, but not terribly.

I'm not too surprised, and most of us came into the season thinking that the Hawks were a tier below the real contenders, and this game just shows that we were right about that. It does make me surprised that PC/JS thought this team was close enough that a 10-game rental of Leonard Williams would make a difference.

The Ravens have started pulling their starters and we're not even halfway through the 4th quarter. I can't remember the last time we've been beaten this badly.

The defense hasn't been playing all that badly, but you're not going to win very many games with an offense that goes 1 for 13 on 3rd/4th down.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:00 pm

don't forget, they did the same thing to a very good Detroit team too. WE have issues.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:14 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Well when you give up a 2nd round pick to bolster the DL.. This move usually indicates you are making a deep playoff run. We aren't out of the playoff race by any means, but we can't hang with a top tier team with this QB and this offense. I think Pete is convinced we have an offense to compete with, but he needs a slap across the face to wake his a$$ up and realize our offense is average at best. I was expecting to lose this game, but at least put a fight and that is the part that hurts more than anything.

And the worst part is that today's offensive performance wasn't some anomaly. If you look at last week's game vs. the Browns, following our FG with 2 minutes gone in the 2nd quarter that gave us a 17-7 lead, our offensive drives are as follows:

3 plays, punt
3 plays, punt
7 plays, interception
3 plays, punt
3 plays, interception
3 plays, punt
3 plays, punt
5 plays, game winning TD

Then the Ravens game:

3 plays, punt
5 plays, punt
6 plays, punt
3 plays, interception
3 plays, punt
7 plays, FG
3 plays, fumble
3 plays, punt
3 plays, punt
8 plays, turnover on downs
3 plays, punt

But to be fair, those were the two best defenses in the league. Nevertheless, it's still a very sorry performance.

When was the last time that we scored just 3 points? Vs. the Browns with Clipboard Jesus as our QB?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:55 pm

Oly wrote:The Ravens are a better team than the Hawks. Full stop. Sure, we can point out the 3rd down issues that have plagued this team all season and note how Geno hasn't been playing well. But in my mind, this is just a Ravens defense that is better than the Hawks' offense and it shows. Our OL has been confused, beaten man-to-man, or both all game and the result is the inept offense we've been seeing.

I want the 2nd round pick back. Maybe they'll make me not want it back down the line, but right now we were way outclassed by Baltimore. I'd rather have the 2nd round pick to find another good LB or O-line.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:28 pm

can't wait to hear Pete's thoughts/comments after this disaster.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:00 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I want the 2nd round pick back. Maybe they'll make me not want it back down the line, but right now we were way outclassed by Baltimore. I'd rather have the 2nd round pick to find another good LB or O-line.

Yep, 100%.

I'll change my tune if either of these happens: (1) he turns into a game-wrecker and the Hawks sign him long-term, or (2) he turns into a game-wrecker and somehow nets us the 3rd round comp pick. If #2 happened, I wouldn't be thrilled about the cost of the rental, but I'd get over it. The probability of either happening is very, very low, so this is probably a moot point anyway. The Hawks need more talent in the trenches before they're going to go anywhere.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:08 pm

Spohawk5092 wrote:can't wait to hear Pete's thoughts/comments after this disaster.

Yeah, well I can wait. There's nothing he can say to paint a smiley face on this abortion.

I just got through watching Cowboys-Eagles. The Eagles tried everything they could to hand the Cowboys a win.

All of the NFC games after Week 9 have been completed, and a look at the top W/L records are as follows

Eagles 8-1
Lions 6-2
Cowboys 5-3
Niners 5-3
Seahawks 5-3

And our remaining schedule:

vs. Commanders
at Rams
vs. Niners
at Eagles
at Niners
vs. Eagles
at Titans
vs. Steelers
at Cards

The Commanders aren't a gimme. They've played a tough schedule, losing to the Bills once and two close games to the Eagles. And, of course, the Rams b**** slapped us in our season opener. We need to win those two games before we go into the Murderer's Row part of our schedule if we hope to go anywhere this season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:19 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I want the 2nd round pick back. Maybe they'll make me not want it back down the line, but right now we were way outclassed by Baltimore. I'd rather have the 2nd round pick to find another good LB or O-line.

Yeah, well I complained loudly about our taking a wide receiver with a first rounder and yet another running back with a 2nd rounder and didn't get a bit of sympathy in this forum. Now, we're getting outclassed on the line of scrimmage. The chickens are coming home to roost.

We're spending way too much capital on wide receivers, running backs, and safeties while not paying enough attention to the big uglies. Take a look at the way Philly's built their team.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby trents » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:45 pm

Oly wrote:The Hawks need more talent in the trenches before they're going to go anywhere.

This is the biggest need. It starts here, both on offense and defense.
trents
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:45 am

We're a 2nd or maybe a 3rd tier team. We have additional talent from last years draft, but we're still a number of players short of competing against the very good teams. This loss reminds me a bit of when we lost to the Rams at home and they just pushed us around the field.
What we saw on Sunday was us being dominated on both sides of the ball by a very good team and it might show us what to expect from the tough games ahead on the schedule.
We might win one or two of them, but it won't be because we are the better team, rather because we might get lucky or the other team have a real off day.
Otherwise, I se us losing to the 9ers twice, Eagles, Cowboys, and maybe even the Rams who always play us tough. The Titans to me can be very dangerous but they aren't very good yet and the Steelers for some reason make a tough game for us.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:17 am

NorthHawk wrote:We're a 2nd or maybe a 3rd tier team. We have additional talent from last years draft, but we're still a number of players short of competing against the very good teams. This loss reminds me a bit of when we lost to the Rams at home and they just pushed us around the field.
What we saw on Sunday was us being dominated on both sides of the ball by a very good team and it might show us what to expect from the tough games ahead on the schedule.
We might win one or two of them, but it won't be because we are the better team, rather because we might get lucky or the other team have a real off day.
Otherwise, I se us losing to the 9ers twice, Eagles, Cowboys, and maybe even the Rams who always play us tough. The Titans to me can be very dangerous but they aren't very good yet and the Steelers for some reason make a tough game for us.

I wouldn't underestimate the Commanders, either. They played Philly tough twice, taking them into OT in their place, a game I witnessed in person, and by a TD a couple of weeks ago.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:14 am

Teams that are mediocre will win some they aren't supposed to and lose some they aren't supposed to. It's why they end up either just missing or just making the playoffs and don't go further.

The odd statistic from the Ravens game is Lamar Jackson has something like a 19-1 record against NFC teams.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:48 am

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, well I complained loudly about our taking a wide receiver with a first rounder and yet another running back with a 2nd rounder and didn't get a bit of sympathy in this forum. Now, we're getting outclassed on the line of scrimmage. The chickens are coming home to roost.

We're spending way too much capital on wide receivers, running backs, and safeties while not paying enough attention to the big uglies. Take a look at the way Philly's built their team.

The defense did well enough in the first half to keep them in the game. Offense couldn't do a thing with two turnovers the defense got them. Geno and Waldron have to be better prepared to get the ball out quicker. Small consolation is the Lions also got spanked by the same team.

As far as big uglies, I chalk it up to kicking the can down the road for too long and then not being able to fix it all in just a couple of drafts. Plus, I don't think a rookie this year fixes the problem; they had to come last year at latest. So do take Cross or Jordan Davis? Walker III or Phidarious Mathis? Lucas or Travis Jones? This year, they could have drafted Mazi Smith over Njiba, but Mazi has only logged snaps in 4 games. Carter over Witherspoon was really the only other play, but this team doesn't have the equivalent of Davis, Cox, Graham, and Sweat. Just too much to fix; something has to give somewhere.

Losses suck, but OoC losses are bearable. Hopefully getting spanked by the Ravens running game and defense will pay future dividends with film study. Still right there for the division lead. If this turns into a backslide with L's to the Commanders and the Rams, I'll have a hard time maintaining my optimism.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:49 pm

We need another good draft. Unfortunately we've done well with 2nd round picks but traded away one of them for a rental. We can probably trade down, but then we would probably lose a 1st round pick which comes with the optional 5th year.
With our Cap so tight next year, some major changes look to be in the cards. I thought they would have begun addressing it this year, but as it stands now looking at next year we are already pretty much Capped out with about 12 starting FA's of our own to possibly re-sign. The biggest problem is at Safety. Something like $46M of Cap space is being used on 3 players at a non premium position. As well, we will have a major decision on whether to cut Geno or pay him about $40M/year AAV. I'm not sure we can really justify paying a player who is playing at a mid level top quarter money. But we don't have a QB being developed to fall back on because we haven't drafted one that can play since 2012. It's going to be interesting times my friends in the Cap world.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:04 pm

NorthHawk wrote:We need another good draft. Unfortunately we've done well with 2nd round picks but traded away one of them for a rental. We can probably trade down, but then we would probably lose a 1st round pick which comes with the optional 5th year.
With our Cap so tight next year, some major changes look to be in the cards. I thought they would have begun addressing it this year, but as it stands now looking at next year we are already pretty much Capped out with about 12 starting FA's of our own to possibly re-sign. The biggest problem is at Safety. Something like $46M of Cap space is being used on 3 players at a non premium position. As well, we will have a major decision on whether to cut Geno or pay him about $40M/year AAV. I'm not sure we can really justify paying a player who is playing at a mid level top quarter money. But we don't have a QB being developed to fall back on because we haven't drafted one that can play since 2012. It's going to be interesting times my friends in the Cap world.

I really like 2nd round picks too. They are almost as good as 1st round picks because certain positions have a lot of quality players fall to the 2nd round. We traded a 2nd round pick for a 10 game rental. The player will now have leverage because the Seahawks have wasted draft capital they can't get back to obtain him and thus will likely have to overpay to retain him. That end of the 3rd round pick (practically a 4th) does nothing to make me feel better.

It was another bad trade and a bad assessment of where this team is.

I'm tired of that lack of patience in team building. They did not show this lack of patience when Pete and John first arrived. Now they are making these mistakes far too often.

I want a new coach and perhaps GM at this point. One that is going to show patience building a team. I'm tired of trading quality draft capital for players like a Leonard Williams, older, not in our future, and only a 10 game rental with a team that must re-sign him or they just traded a 2nd round pick for a 4th round equivalent pick. Especially when 2nd round picks can produce such high quality players at LB and O-line.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:39 pm

NorthHawk wrote:We need another good draft.

Yeah, if we draft just one more running back or one more wide receiver with our 1st or 2nd pick, that'll fix our offense for sure! :D
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:42 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Yeah, if we draft just one more running back or one more wide receiver with our 1st or 2nd pick, that'll fix our offense for sure! :D

Heck why stop there, we should just draft all RBs and WRs next year. More is better.

Oh boy! I miss the silly draft days, I can remember back when Dan McGuire was drafted in the 1st round, and I can't remember who said it, but I will never forget the words. "But he is tall"
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:07 am

Ravens.... they are who we thought they were! (after I watched Detroit gets mugged, I knew we were in trouble)
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:46 am

It was one trade to address a clear weakness for a team in contention. Yes, we are in contention until proven otherwise. If I see another trade like this before next year's draft, I'll join y'all in sounding the alarm, but I don't see a problem with making move to give your team a better chance to succeed. This isn't the same team that is aging out across the roster and trading away draft picks for splash FAs.

Aseahawkfan wrote:We traded a 2nd round pick for a 10 game rental. The player will now have leverage because the Seahawks have wasted draft capital they can't get back to obtain him and thus will likely have to overpay to retain him.

I don't think that was ever the plan. He's a this year guy; they aren't breaking the bank for a 31 year old defensive lineman when Reed and Jones are already on the books. I don't think he gets resigned.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I'm tired of that lack of patience in team building. They did not show this lack of patience when Pete and John first arrived. Now they are making these mistakes far too often.

Back to back great drafts and you're already at they are screwing up this rebuild. I don't see how this computes.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I want a new coach and perhaps GM at this point. One that is going to show patience building a team. I'm tired of trading quality draft capital for players like a Leonard Williams, older, not in our future, and only a 10 game rental with a team that must re-sign him or they just traded a 2nd round pick for a 4th round equivalent pick. Especially when 2nd round picks can produce such high quality players at LB and O-line.

So what's the play to get the DLine legitimate help this season? There's no way they could plan to win without getting some help. I'd rather they plan like they are going to win something now than not.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:37 am

My question is based on them clearly having a plan to add talent to the team as evidenced by the two previous drafts. Suddenly they go off script and rent a player for a half season and give up one of their most valuable picks in doing so.
Why would they do that? Are they that blind to not be able to see we aren't anywhere near close yet to truly competing for a championship? We need some very key pieces like a QBOTF and dominating DT, both of which can be found early.
As it stands, we might be able to get one of those types of players in the draft but we might have had the chance on getting both. Giving away high draft picks has the potential to hamstring the ongoing rebuild. And that's a shame.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:52 am

NorthHawk wrote:Why would they do that? Are they that blind to not be able to see we aren't anywhere near close yet to truly competing for a championship?

I argue they did because they are going to play it like they are going to win every season until proven otherwise. If the Seahawks had a losing record by this point, I don't think the move happens. If they hadn't had excellent drafts back-to-back, this move doesn't happen. You can either wait for the perfect time to make your run or see if you can compete now given the circumstances are favorable. As of right now, circumstances are favorable. That could absolutely change given schedule coming up; they aren't conceding the rest of the season because it looks tough.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:36 am

We got our arses handed to us. Again. We're very good against average teams but we suck right out loud against great ones. Sure would be nice to have Levis about now.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:25 am

In what capacity? Levis doesn't get us past Baltimore either. Not saying having him as the QBOTF is a bad thing, but, beyond development, how does he factor into winning now and against great teams to boot?
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:39 am

What capacity? QB would make the most sense wouldn't it.

Have you seen him play this year? He's only had two games but even in the Pittsburgh game (against a great defense) he showed flashes. He's got a ton of upside that has yet to be reached, Geno, and likely Lock, not so much. I'd be much more optimistic if he were learning the ropes here. For this season as well as in the future.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:45 am

c_hawkbob wrote:We got our arses handed to us. Again. We're very good against average teams but we suck right out loud against great ones. Sure would be nice to have Levis about now.

Totally agree. He would have been given the opportunity to sit out this year and learn from the sideline. Levis is absolute stud, have you seen this dudes arms? His quick twitch release is not coachable, it's an actual natural gift he has. As bad as Geno has played thus far, I wouldn't be surprised we would have the same record if Levis was playing or not.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum