Week 10 Hawks vs Commanders

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Week 10 Hawks vs Commanders

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:22 pm

Well lets put the beatdown aside and hopefully this gives the hawks a 2nd wake up call... a look in the mirror... a reality check.

Well it's a home game, so that is + as the Hawks need the 12s in this one. Commanders are a sneaky team, with the exception of the Bills and Bears games they have been in all of their games and either won or lost by a single score game and they almost took the Eagles. Ironically sending off their top edge rushers for draft capital would indicate a step back in defense, but they played defense quite well against the Patriots. Commanders to me are a team that plays to the level of their competition, and that can be quite tricky when we play them.

This could be the "get right" for us with Geno and Shane scheming up an effective offensive game plan. Whether it be the solid run game which we desperately need to get back on track, or utilizing our 3 TEs again. If you are just looking at talent across the board we should win this, but again if Geno and the offense can't improve on their 3rd down efficiency or the redzone I can see the Commanders stealing this from us.

Hawks 27
Commanders 16
4XPIPS
Legacy

Re: Week 10 Hawks vs Commanders

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:23 pm

You can't lose to teams like the Commanders with harder games coming up. Hopefully they get back on track.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:33 pm

Seriously! Coming off that beatdown and lose to the Salamanders would be close to having a bad season outcome.

There will be some heartburn in the game but;

Sea 23 - Salamanders 19
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:44 pm

Uppercut wrote:Seriously! Coming off that beatdown and lose to the Salamanders would be close to having a bad season outcome.

There will be some heartburn in the game but;

Sea 23 - Salamanders 19

The sad reality is that it is a possibility they can steal one from us with the way our offense has been trending.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:38 am

I'm very troubled with the way we've looked in the past two weeks. Unless we can cut down on the turnovers, improve our 3rd down efficiency, and start scoring TD's in the red zone, I can't see this team going anywhere.

Commanders 21, Hawks 20.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:33 am

We should beat the Commanders. We have the better team, and they traded away some good talent on their DL.
That being said we often play down to our opponents. It's something we tend to do for some reason but coming off an embarrassing loss it might increase the teams focus for this game at home.
I think we win by more than a TD.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:01 am

I got us to win and cover as well.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:30 pm

RiverDog wrote:I'm very troubled with the way we've looked in the past two weeks. Unless we can cut down on the turnovers, improve our 3rd down efficiency, and start scoring TD's in the red zone, I can't see this team going anywhere.

Commanders 21, Hawks 20.

You still have us at home losing? Sam Howell is a turnover machine in his own right. I guess you would be content if your prediction fails.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:50 pm

RiverDog wrote:I'm very troubled with the way we've looked in the past two weeks. Unless we can cut down on the turnovers, improve our 3rd down efficiency, and start scoring TD's in the red zone, I can't see this team going anywhere.

Commanders 21, Hawks 20.

4XPIPS wrote:You still have us at home losing? Sam Howell is a turnover machine in his own right. I guess you would be content if your prediction fails.

I'm admittedly a pessimist, a glass half empty guy. I intentionally lower my expectations so that if we win, I'm a lot more excited because it was unexpected and if we lose, I'm not so bummed out that I start throwing objects at the TV. It doesn't mean that I'm any less of a Seahawk fan than the fan boy who thinks everything is rainbows and unicorns.

Having said that, Howell isn't any more of a turnover machine than Geno is. Howell has 9 turnovers, Geno 8. That's pretty damn close. I don't like the way we looked, either on offense or defense, in our last couple of games.

I'm heading to Las Vegas this Saturday, and I'm going to lay down $100 on us to lose. If we win, I'll be so happy that I don't mind losing the hundred bucks and if we lose, I'll have a nice little consolation prize.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:26 pm

Ugh, 9ers look really scary today vs jville. We really have to right the ship today
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:58 pm

I can't watch the games right now just have the Red zone on. Haven't heard anything on Lockett, hope is ok
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:03 pm

I was surprised to read we're 0 and 4 against the Commanders at Lumen Field during the regular season. Not something I can confirm as it's in an article on Field Gulls, but very odd if we lose to these guys a lot. I guess I never much think about them.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby zackole » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:23 pm

I hate Geno.... :evil:
zackole
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:48 pm

in the redzone, 3rd down and 5, and we scheme up a 3 yard route to Colby Parkinson.

4th Down - Followed with a 21 year veteran committing a false start.

this offense is garbage.

At the end of the half, Geno's clock management is horrible. Has to be aware of the situation and failed to get rid of the ball and that is purely on him.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:58 pm

This pretty much sums ups Geno now, when he is under pressure he crumbles and tosses the ball away. Commanders have him figured and on obvious passing downs they are bringing the heat.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:41 pm

Well I was half right, but I'll take it!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:45 pm

an underwhelming win today. Way too many penalties......wasn't pretty but w in.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:50 pm

A win is a win, but it's hard to look at these Hawks and the way the 9ers played today and think the Hawks will hold on to the NFC West lead. They look like a one-and-done wild card team.

Now, if Geno could revert to last season's form before the end of the season, I'll change my tune.
Oly
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:09 pm

Oly wrote:A win is a win, but it's hard to look at these Hawks and the way the 9ers played today and think the Hawks will hold on to the NFC West lead. They look like a one-and-done wild card team.

Now, if Geno could revert to last season's form before the end of the season, I'll change my tune.

What part of last season? How he started or how he finished? He is a pretty solid QB when he has no pressure and has time to go through his reads, but when he faces pressure he is so afraid of turning the ball over that he rolls out and tosses the ball away. He can't react to pressure well and kills a lot of 3rd downs this way.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:00 pm

4XPIPS wrote:What part of last season? How he started or how he finished? He is a pretty solid QB when he has no pressure and has time to go through his reads, but when he faces pressure he is so afraid of turning the ball over that he rolls out and tosses the ball away. He can't react to pressure well and kills a lot of 3rd downs this way.

Beginning, of course, but I thought the tone of my post conveyed my skepticism that he will. I think the 1.5 seasons with him under center shows that the beginning of last season was the aberration. Once DCs had tape on him, they adjusted and he hasn't been able to adjust back (and he's had more errant passes lately).

Our only hope is that with the starting OL returning next week with Lucas coming back, that they can give him the time he needs. Even more importantly, we have to hope that the run game continues to evolve. They had some nice runs today, but still only ran it about 1/3 of the time. Geno's just not good enough for a pass-first offense. IMO, we have to hope that the Hawks can shift to a run-first team if we're going to progress in the playoffs, assuming we make them.
Oly
Legacy

Postby trents » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:21 pm

We've become too dependent on field goals. That's not going to win you most games. Too many untimely penalties that kill drives.
trents
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:26 am

Like many I am not feeling good about Geno, but in this game he was facing an amazing defense that has held some good QBs to poor games. All the more important that he get the ball out much quicker. The best signal callers always know where the receiver should be and to find the area that the blitzer vacated. Tom Brady was a master of that, to the point that teams avoided trying it.

If the Commanders get an offense together they could be a monster.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:33 am

I didn't get to see the entire game as there were quite a few distractions from where I was watching from.

In order to uphold my reputation as a perpetual critic, I saw two things involving clock management that always irks be because players don't have a 6th grade understanding of the game. Charbonnet lowered his head and bulldozed for a completely meaningless yard or two when with no timeouts, he should have gotten out of bounds. Had we ran out of time and not gotten the FG attempt off, it could have cost us the game.

And I got the impression that Metcalf had failed to learn his lesson from the Pittsburgh game last season on that last passing play where he was within about 90% FG range and was still trying to play hero ball instead of getting down. But as it turned out, he got tackled anyway and we had enough time to line up and spike the ball.

Geno didn't have a great game, but he had one that was a lot better effort than the recent few games. No turnovers, managed the last drive very well, didn't take any unwise sacks. It was a win that was a must, as is the game next week at the Rams, if we expect to break into that upper level of SB contending teams.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:24 am

we just barely beat a not very good team. 49ers game is not going to be pretty.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:17 am

Spohawk5092 wrote:we just barely beat a not very good team. 49ers game is not going to be pretty.

We have the Rams first before we get to the Niners.

I tend to agree with you about the Niners, but this season has been extremely hard to forecast, and although I agree with you about the Niners and their prospects for cleaning our clocks, I'm not going to make a fool out of myself by saying that we're going to get crushed. I engage in enough of that behavior as it is. :D
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:33 am

RiverDog wrote:I didn't get to see the entire game as there were quite a few distractions from where I was watching from.

In order to uphold my reputation as a perpetual critic, I saw two things involving clock management that always irks be because players don't have a 6th grade understanding of the game. Charbonnet lowered his head and bulldozed for a completely meaningless yard or two when with no timeouts, he should have gotten out of bounds. Had we ran out of time and not gotten the FG attempt off, it could have cost us the game.

And I got the impression that Metcalf had failed to learn his lesson from the Pittsburgh game last season on that last passing play where he was within about 90% FG range and was still trying to play hero ball instead of getting down. But as it turned out, he got tackled anyway and we had enough time to line up and spike the ball.

Geno didn't have a great game, but he had one that was a lot better effort than the recent few games. No turnovers, managed the last drive very well, didn't take any unwise sacks. It was a win that was a must, as is the game next week at the Rams, if we expect to break into that upper level of SB contending teams.

Situational awareness hasn't been a hallmark of Pete's tenure in Seattle. Maybe it comes from the always compete mantra.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:49 am

RiverDog wrote:I didn't get to see the entire game as there were quite a few distractions from where I was watching from.

He did though. Seattle drove into FG range at the end of the first half, and Geno basically took a sack by intentially grounding the ball as he went down. 10 second runoff killed the rest of the clock and took the FG chance off the field. Survived anyway, but can't be doing that stuff.

I think Charbonnet knew screwed up and Pete was visibly frustrated by it on the side line. Charb likes that contact; just needs to remember when it isn't the right call.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:48 am

Lets not forget the two 4th & 1 that we blundered away.

First one we got hit with a delay game, which can't happen. You have to have a set play to run when its 4th & 1 on your opponents side of the field, no reason you take delay of game, as they were actually running a play. That is bad on Geno and Shane for no be awareness of the clock and the situation.

Second one was even more frustrating as they were trying to draw them off sides and no one on the DL for the Commanders entered the neutral zone, and Jason Peters faulted. Both times the Hawks got FGs, but overall just looked absolutely sloppy.

Was anyone surprised that Jamal Adams didn't get a taunting penalty as he was obviously jawing it up with the Commanders on the sidelines out of bounds and up in his face? After ejecting Forbes, I thought Jamal was going to get a penalty but somehow he didn't. By the way anyone thoughts on Forbes ejection? I personally felt it warranted a penalty, but I have seen a lot worse in the league.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:04 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:I think Charbonnet knew screwed up and Pete was visibly frustrated by it on the side line. Charb likes that contact; just needs to remember when it isn't the right call.

Those sorts of things irritate me lots more than a dropped pass, a false start, or a blown assignment. Charbonnet has played enough football, and if he's like most of us, grew up with the sport to where he should have known instinctively that he needed to get out of bounds in that situation. When it comes to football, stuff like that is something you learn right along with the ABC's, and it can't be rationalized by noting that he likes contact.

I can't say for sure if Metcalf would have gotten down instead of continuing to struggle for yardage or not on that final pass reception, but I sure got the feeling that he wanted to keep going.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:30 pm

RiverDog wrote:Those sorts of things irritate me lots more than a dropped pass, a false start, or a blown assignment. Charbonnet has played enough football, and if he's like most of us, grew up with the sport to where he should have known instinctively that he needed to get out of bounds in that situation. When it comes to football, stuff like that is something you learn right along with the ABC's, and it can't be rationalized by noting that he likes contact.

I can't say for sure if Metcalf would have gotten down instead of continuing to struggle for yardage or not on that final pass reception, but I sure got the feeling that he wanted to keep going.

For sure; he gets no pass from me. He was one-track minded, and, while I think that explains why he did it, it doesn't excuse it. He's played a lot of football his whole life, so he knows better. Charb and Metcalf have to get a grip on themselves and recognize the game situation.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:50 pm

RiverDog wrote:Those sorts of things irritate me lots more than a dropped pass, a false start, or a blown assignment. Charbonnet has played enough football, and if he's like most of us, grew up with the sport to where he should have known instinctively that he needed to get out of bounds in that situation. When it comes to football, stuff like that is something you learn right along with the ABC's, and it can't be rationalized by noting that he likes contact.

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:For sure; he gets no pass from me. He was one-track minded, and, while I think that explains why he did it, it doesn't excuse it. He's played a lot of football his whole life, so he knows better. Charb and Metcalf have to get a grip on themselves and recognize the game situation.

I probably should have said it a little differently as I didn't mean to suggest that you were making excuses for him. Like you said, it's an explanation, not an excuse.

And the sad thing is that Charbonnet and Metcalf aren't the only ones guilty of those brain-dead mistakes. I've seen it all too frequently in the NFL.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:26 am

RiverDog wrote:I probably should have said it a little differently as I didn't mean to suggest that you were making excuses for him. Like you said, it's an explanation, not an excuse.

And the sad thing is that Charbonnet and Metcalf aren't the only ones guilty of those brain-dead mistakes. I've seen it all too frequently in the NFL.

All good. It does seem to happen more often than one would expect at this level. It can tip the scales in a close game and could have this past Sunday.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum