after this year would like a new head Coach...

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

after this year would like a new head Coach...

Postby Spohawk5092 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:44 am

I like Pete, but, clearly I think its time for someone else. Hawks are too predictable, and I think its time for a new change. Petes comments about forgetting to call a time out last sunday when it was a 4th and 1, and we ended up with another false start penalty don't help.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Re: after this year would like a new head Coach...

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:04 pm

Spohawk5092 wrote:I like Pete, but, clearly I think its time for someone else. Hawks are too predictable, and I think its time for a new change. Petes comments about forgetting to call a time out last sunday when it was a 4th and 1, and we ended up with another false start penalty don't help.

I made a pledge to myself not to advocate for a coaching change during the season, at least until we're eliminated.

But on the other hand, I consider these past 7 years of mediocre football unacceptable.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:03 pm

Well we can all hope and want something, and I don't disagree we need a coaching change for sure. However, regardless how this Season ends Pete will most likely remain our coach. He will be our Coach until he decides to hang it up and that can be a few more years as he still has a ton of energy given his age. Jody Allen doesn't give me the impression she wants to change things up considering it's in Paul's will to sell the Seahawks down the line. I do appreciate what Pete has brought to the Hawk's organization, but a change won't be happening. Even if we lose out the remainder of our games, which is highly unlikely, Pete will not be fired.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:39 pm

Much as I like Pete, I'm ready for a change. Time for Pete to enjoy all his accomplishments, take a bow, go into at least the Seattle Hall of Fame equivalent, and enjoy his older age and his millions. Do some charity work. He doesn't quite have that mojo he had when he first arrived.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:13 am

4XPIPS wrote:Well we can all hope and want something, and I don't disagree we need a coaching change for sure. However, regardless how this Season ends Pete will most likely remain our coach. He will be our Coach until he decides to hang it up and that can be a few more years as he still has a ton of energy given his age. Jody Allen doesn't give me the impression she wants to change things up considering it's in Paul's will to sell the Seahawks down the line. I do appreciate what Pete has brought to the Hawk's organization, but a change won't be happening. Even if we lose out the remainder of our games, which is highly unlikely, Pete will not be fired.

I agree that it's extremely unlikely that Pete gets fired as like you, I get the impression that Jody is a status quo type of person. However, I don't discount the idea that Pete might be forced out, a retire-or-else proposition that would allow him to save face.

I'm ready for a change, too, but I hate advocating for one at this point in the season, especially given that we're 6-3 and very much in the hunt. If we suffer some major bloodletting during this Murderer's Row stretch of the schedule, then we'll talk.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:41 pm

Fandom....a sure path to 3-14.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:22 pm

TriCitySam wrote:Fandom....a sure path to 3-14.

Seriously.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:12 pm

Fandom. A sure path to never competing for a Super Bowl until we get a new coach who isn't doing the same thing over and over and over again but not getting anywhere but one and done.

We watched the same cycle with every coach we've ever had where they reach a peak. All the quality head coach provides at this point is a floor. Some fans...which is fandom...are satisfied with that floor.

Coaches like Pete and Holmgren never fall into the gutter. They're too good for that. But they never reach the peak again either because they become too set in their ways from when they first arrived with the fire to reach the mountaintop.

I've watched this with every quality coach we've had from Knox to Holmgren to now Pete. When we reach the point where we're stuck in a rut for what will soon be over a decade, time to find the next guy with the fire along with everything else to reach the mountaintop.

If you're waiting for Pete to fall into the gutter to make the change, unlikely to happen. This is what it looks like when a high quality head coach has hit the wall.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:16 pm

I beg your pardon, but why is it that when there's an opinion or opinions opposite of yours, especially when it comes to our head coach, that it's "fandom" or some other generalized term indicating that we're part of the ignorant masses? Are you saying that your take isn't "fandom", that yours is the expert opinion?

You're a good football mind and a valued poster and I don't mean to pick a fight with you, but I sure get the impression that you're looking down on the rest of us by dismissing our thoughts as amateurish. You're part of the same "fandom" as the rest of us poor slobs.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:05 pm

Meh, let Pete finish the Geno era out. Hes a great coach to have coaching up our young defense. Then when its time for a new QB get a new coach. But I think letting our young D develope before getting a new QB and head coach is important if we want to get to the next level and be superbowl contenders.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:00 pm

All the more reason to draft a QBOTF and give us a chance to get out of this rut of mediocrity.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:38 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:Meh, let Pete finish the Geno era out. Hes a great coach to have coaching up our young defense. Then when its time for a new QB get a new coach. But I think letting our young D develope before getting a new QB and head coach is important if we want to get to the next level and be superbowl contenders.

This makes no sense at all. You are saying lets keep Pete around till Geno is done, which quite soon to be honest, coach up this young defense and let Pete go, and bring in a new coach.... who will more than likely bring his own DC and start it all over. Unless you have not been watching, our defense has been a shell of it self since the the SB runs, and since then we have shuffled in a mix of veterans, FA signings, and draft picks and this defense has never been "coached up" since Pete as has been here. It has been subpar for a long time, and a complete rebuild with a new coaching staff is something we need.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:32 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:Meh, let Pete finish the Geno era out. Hes a great coach to have coaching up our young defense. Then when its time for a new QB get a new coach. But I think letting our young D develope before getting a new QB and head coach is important if we want to get to the next level and be superbowl contenders.

4XPIPS wrote:This makes no sense at all. You are saying lets keep Pete around till Geno is done, which quite soon to be honest, coach up this young defense and let Pete go, and bring in a new coach.... who will more than likely bring his own DC and start it all over. Unless you have not been watching, our defense has been a shell of it self since the the SB runs, and since then we have shuffled in a mix of veterans, FA signings, and draft picks and this defense has never been "coached up" since Pete as has been here. It has been subpar for a long time, and a complete rebuild with a new coaching staff is something we need.

Yeah, I'm with Pips on this one. Pete's record on defense over the past 7 years hasn't been a good one and there's reason to believe that he might have lost his magic.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:37 pm

As of next year it will have been a decade since our last Super Bowl and a decade since we made it past the divisional playoff round. In the eight years since our last Super Bowl we have missed the playoffs twice, lost 3 divisional games, and lost 3 wild care games. This year is yet to be determined.

That is 8 years of not being within sniffing distance of a Super Bowl. Rams have won another Super Bowl in that time. 49ers have been to another Super Bowl and lost two conference championship games.

Arizona has done worse than us.

If we lose early in the playoffs this year, it will be year 9 of not coming within sniffing distance of a Super Bowl.

2024 will be year 10. I'm not sure how long you give a head coach to get back to competing for a Super Bowl, but we haven't been a real contender for the last eight years. Not sure how much longer people want to wait.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:45 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:As of next year it will have been a decade since our last Super Bowl and a decade since we made it past the divisional playoff round. In the eight years since our last Super Bowl we have missed the playoffs twice, lost 3 divisional games, and lost 3 wild care games. This year is yet to be determined.

That is 8 years of not being within sniffing distance of a Super Bowl. Rams have won another Super Bowl in that time. 49ers have been to another Super Bowl and lost two conference championship games.

Arizona has done worse than us.

If we lose early in the playoffs this year, it will be year 9 of not coming within sniffing distance of a Super Bowl.

2024 will be year 10. I'm not sure how long you give a head coach to get back to competing for a Super Bowl, but we haven't been a real contender for the last eight years. Not sure how much longer people want to wait.

answer for me, not much longer!
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:48 pm

once again an absolutely unacceptable amount of penalties, same ole same ole same ole, I like Pete but he is past his prime.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:33 pm

Thanks for the gift today! Appreciated....

You guys better push for the Ryan boys as coaches and kaep as QB
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:44 pm

I think we can all agree that mediocrity does not win championships. Pete brought us our only ship, but that was a decade ago. We will likely go on a serious losing streak now. Of course his job will be safe and sound, especially if we squeak out a playoff berth. I do not give a damn about being another WC team and one and done.
Reasons for a coaching change is summarized as follows:
His in-game clock;
Predictable oversight of offenses.

There is a lot more. I am done.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby trents » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:49 pm

Sure, we have a lot of young players who are still maturing but all those penalties, especially the one where Wollen? body slammed the ball carrier near the sideline, is why we lost that game today. Young players or not, I put a lot of that on Pete failing to instill discipline in the team. They are just too often out of control.
trents
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:20 am

trents wrote:Sure, we have a lot of young players who are still maturing but all those penalties, especially the one where Wollen? body slammed the ball carrier near the sideline, is why we lost that game today. Young players or not, I put a lot of that on Pete failing to instill discipline in the team. They are just too often out of control.

That was 'Spoon who body slammed the receiver. The irony of it was that a Rams DB had gotten called for that very same move earlier in the game, something that Witherspoon had to have seen.

I don't buy the excuse that those kinds of penalties are a result of inexperience. They've been calling that particular body slam move as a PF for over a decade. I saw a game where we were aided by a Houston Texan's DB body slamming Jermaine Kearse. Those guys have all played and watched a lot of football.

Some penalties, like some of the roughing the passer penalties, I can understand. But that body slam was stupid.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:55 am

Bad penalties and a lack of situational awareness has been a consistent theme under Carroll. We've succeeded in the good years with superior talent, but now don't have the ability to overcome brain farts.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:10 am

NorthHawk wrote:Bad penalties and a lack of situational awareness has been a consistent theme under Carroll. We've succeeded in the good years with superior talent, but now don't have the ability to overcome brain farts.

On the bright side of things, Metcalf went yet another game without a stupid penalty. That's 5 straight games, a personal high for him!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:33 am

the only highlight of the game for me was the throwdown on the Rams player by the Hawks player. The aforementioned body slam.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:34 am

[quote="RiverDog"quote]

I beg your pardon, but why is it that when there's an opinion or opinions opposite of yours, especially when it comes to our head coach, that it's "fandom" or some other generalized term indicating that we're part of the ignorant masses? Are you saying that your take isn't "fandom", that yours is the expert opinion?

You're a good football mind and a valued poster and I don't mean to pick a fight with you, but I sure get the impression that you're looking down on the rest of us by dismissing our thoughts as amateurish. You're part of the same "fandom" as the rest of us poor slobs.[/quote]

When the suggestion is constantly made to fire Pete, it's essentially saying that unless you're team is one of the top 2 or 3 in the league on a regular basis, you fire the coach - which means you fire the other 30. Who has performed better than Pete? One: Andy Reid, now you can't even say Belichick. So yeah, I think to suggest that when you're 6-3 is foolish - and the comment was not exactly a rant.....and by the way RD, NO ONE on this board has a higher opinion of himself than you, so don't pitch $h$t to me.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:54 am

RiverDog wrote:

You're a good football mind and a valued poster and I don't mean to pick a fight with you, but I sure get the impression that you're looking down on the rest of us by dismissing our thoughts as amateurish. You're part of the same "fandom" as the rest of us poor slobs.

TriCitySam wrote:When the suggestion is constantly made to fire Pete, it's essentially saying that unless you're team is one of the top 2 or 3 in the league on a regular basis, you fire the coach - which means you fire the other 30. Who has performed better than Pete? One: Andy Reid, now you can't even say Belichick. So yeah, I think to suggest that when you're 6-3 is foolish - and the comment was not exactly a rant.....and by the way RD, NO ONE on this board has a higher opinion of himself than you, so don't pitch $h$t to me.

I'm honestly trying NOT to pick a fight with you, and I tried to express that. All I was saying is that by using these generalized terms, ie "fandom," that you're setting your opinion above those who disagree with you us as coming from common fans, or at least that's the impression I'm getting.

It's only a suggestion, but a better choice of words might be appropriate, and I'll leave it at that.

As far as me holding a higher opinion of himself, if you want to give me an example of what makes you feel that way, I'd be more than willing to do a little self-reflection. It certainly isn't my intention.

Now, let's get back to being friends, shall we? :D
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:25 pm

TriCitySam wrote:When the suggestion is constantly made to fire Pete, it's essentially saying that unless you're team is one of the top 2 or 3 in the league on a regular basis, you fire the coach - which means you fire the other 30. Who has performed better than Pete? One: Andy Reid, now you can't even say Belichick. So yeah, I think to suggest that when you're 6-3 is foolish - and the comment was not exactly a rant.....and by the way RD, NO ONE on this board has a higher opinion of himself than you, so don't pitch $h$t to me.

Yeah. You can say Bill B. He has three more championships since Pete arrived including a head to head win against Pete in the Super Bowl because of the stupidest play call in Super Bowl history that started our downward spiral. Way to cherry pick. The Rams coach McVay has the same number of Super Bowls and been to a second one he lost. Mike Tomlin has the same number of Super Bowls. John Harbaugh has the same number of Super Bowls and one more Conference Championship, one less trip to the Super Bowl.

Eagles won a Super Bowl under Pedersen. Went to a second time under Sirianni in 2022. Are a real contender right now. What is their main common denominator? Good GM picking great players to replenish the team.

What is better? Championships? You want a decent regular season record and you're happy?

You can add a lot of coaches when you look who has done Championships because Pete hasn't come within sniffing distance of a Championship in 8 years. Plenty of people have trips to the playoffs. 14 of 32 teams make the playoffs every year. 44% of the league makes the playoffs. That is nearly half the league. I've used that argument about Pete before. It no longer applies, it especially doesn't apply if you want to start cherry picking time periods.

We can hold on to Pete as long as he feels like staying, do the Rooney Steelers thing hoping he can find the path to glory again which doesn't usually happen for anyone not named Bill B with a Tom Brady at QB. Even Andy Reid had to go to a new team to find the path to glory again.

The tired argument who has done better than Pete don't hold water any more. Plenty of have done as well as Pete and as you yourself stated, Andy Reid is now clearly on the list of done better over the same time period Pete's been in the league along with Bill B. How many more coaches need to match or exceed Pete before it's obvious we need a new coach?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:34 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Yeah. You can say Bill B. He has three more championships since Pete arrived including a head to head win against Pete in the Super Bowl because of the stupidest play call in Super Bowl history that started our downward spiral. Way to cherry pick. The Rams coach McVay has the same number of Super Bowls and been to a second one he lost. Mike Tomlin has the same number of Super Bowls. John Harbaugh has the same number of Super Bowls and one more Conference Championship, one less trip to the Super Bowl.

Eagles won a Super Bowl under Pedersen. Went to a second time under Sirianni in 2022. Are a real contender right now. What is their main common denominator? Good GM picking great players to replenish the team.

What is better? Championships? You want a decent regular season record and you're happy?

You can add a lot of coaches when you look who has done Championships because Pete hasn't come within sniffing distance of a Championship in 8 years. Plenty of people have trips to the playoffs. 14 of 32 teams make the playoffs every year. 44% of the league makes the playoffs. That is nearly half the league. I've used that argument about Pete before. It no longer applies, it especially doesn't apply if you want to start cherry picking time periods.

We can hold on to Pete as long as he feels like staying, do the Rooney Steelers thing hoping he can find the path to glory again which doesn't usually happen for anyone not named Bill B with a Tom Brady at QB. Even Andy Reid had to go to a new team to find the path to glory again.

The tired argument who has done better than Pete don't hold water any more. Plenty of have done as well as Pete and as you yourself stated, Andy Reid is now clearly on the list of done better over the same time period Pete's been in the league along with Bill B. How many more coaches need to match or exceed Pete before it's obvious we need a new coach?

I'm inclined to agree with you. There are several head coaches out there with recent resumes more impressive than Pete's, and it's not going to get better as the league evolves and Pete doesn't evolve with it. Pete's a tier below the elite coaches. He is in the next one, though, and there are far more head coaches worse than him than better than him. If we could be guaranteed to land a coach in that elite tier, I think the Hawks would have to make that deal in a heartbeat.

...but...what is the probability that one of the best coaches comes to south Alaska? Or that the coach that seems to be in that tier will be able to live up to that promise with the Hawks? It's possible, of course, but how many franchises have successfully moved on from their best coach in franchise history and immediately landed the successor to that title? The Steelers? I'm sure there are historical examples, but it's far more likely we get another Jim Mora debacle than one of the new elite coaches in the league. The grass is rarely greener on the other side of the fence.

So while I'm ready to move on from Pete (last week's penalty-fest really solidified that for me), I would bet that his replacement will be worse. So do the Hawks continue with the high-floor, low-ceiling status quo—and a team with a positive, healthy culture created by Pete that players and fans appreciate—or do they jump into the inevitable multi-year cycle of going through shitty coaches until they land one with a higher ceiling? I'm honestly not sure which I prefer. I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to make that call.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:11 am

If we did make the change and we ended up with a much lesser record we would also get much better draft picks which could attract the better coaches. As well, there are only 32 HC positions in the NFL so a HC position will always be in demand and there are some good Assistant Coaches in the league as well. I think Eric Bienemy (sp) would be a coach to take a gamble on, especially if we had a young QB to develop. Look what he's doing with Howell and how he's designing plays to his strength.
We can't be afraid of change and Pete could pull the plug any year, so it's not like he is going to stay for another 12 years.
Since Pete currently has 100% control of the personnel including players, and Schneider reports to him, I would keep JS and let him do a more traditional GM role in selecting a HC and be responsible for acquiring talent that fits the identity of the team. Sometimes just changing the message from the HC makes a team better and HCs do get stale when they stay too long.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:11 pm

Hawks need to clean house after this season, from top to bottom IMO. Need to get back to what we were, namely a winning team and one that went into the playoffs that were not one and done.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:45 pm

Oly wrote:I'm inclined to agree with you. There are several head coaches out there with recent resumes more impressive than Pete's, and it's not going to get better as the league evolves and Pete doesn't evolve with it. Pete's a tier below the elite coaches. He is in the next one, though, and there are far more head coaches worse than him than better than him. If we could be guaranteed to land a coach in that elite tier, I think the Hawks would have to make that deal in a heartbeat.

...but...what is the probability that one of the best coaches comes to south Alaska? Or that the coach that seems to be in that tier will be able to live up to that promise with the Hawks? It's possible, of course, but how many franchises have successfully moved on from their best coach in franchise history and immediately landed the successor to that title? The Steelers? I'm sure there are historical examples, but it's far more likely we get another Jim Mora debacle than one of the new elite coaches in the league. The grass is rarely greener on the other side of the fence.

So while I'm ready to move on from Pete (last week's penalty-fest really solidified that for me), I would bet that his replacement will be worse. So do the Hawks continue with the high-floor, low-ceiling status quo—and a team with a positive, healthy culture created by Pete that players and fans appreciate—or do they jump into the inevitable multi-year cycle of going through shitty coaches until they land one with a higher ceiling? I'm honestly not sure which I prefer. I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to make that call.

If Paul Allen were still the owner, the chance is 100%. He would have already moved to put Pete and John on notice due to a lack of results.

With Jody Allen as owner, who knows. That is the real wild card and the cost of losing Paul Allen. Prior to losing Paul Allen, no one would have thought twice about a new coach as they knew Paul Allen would find a great coach. Now we're in limbo land for ownership and no idea how they will do finding a new coach. That's the only reason you have as much hesitance as we do for getting a new head coach and GM. No one knows what current ownership will do to obtain a new head coach.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:29 pm

Oly wrote:I'm inclined to agree with you. There are several head coaches out there with recent resumes more impressive than Pete's, and it's not going to get better as the league evolves and Pete doesn't evolve with it. Pete's a tier below the elite coaches. He is in the next one, though, and there are far more head coaches worse than him than better than him. If we could be guaranteed to land a coach in that elite tier, I think the Hawks would have to make that deal in a heartbeat.

Aseahawkfan wrote:If Paul Allen were still the owner, the chance is 100%. He would have already moved to put Pete and John on notice due to a lack of results.

With Jody Allen as owner, who knows. That is the real wild card and the cost of losing Paul Allen. Prior to losing Paul Allen, no one would have thought twice about a new coach as they new Paul Allen would find a great coach. Now we're in limbo land for ownership and no idea how they will do finding a new coach. That's the only reason you have as much hesitance as we do for getting a new head coach and GM. No one knows what current ownership will do to obtain a new head coach.

Well, maybe not 100%, but let's just say that the odds are very good that Allen would have moved on from Pete by now. He was the same Paul Allen who fired Dennis Erickson because he was a Vinny Testaverde helmet away from the playoffs, fired Jim Mora after just one season. He might have been a silent owner, but he wasn't afraid to pull the trigger.

Paul Allen would have had his pick of the litter as far as coaches goes. He had the deepest pockets of any owner in the league and was well known for taking a hands-off approach to the team. He wasn't the Jerry Jones-Dan Snyder type that treats the team like it's his own personal toy.

With Jody, who knows. All any of us can do is guess. But it's one of those "be careful what you wish for, you might get it" type of things. We could end up with a real abortion of an owner if she decides to sell the team, be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:55 am

Totally agree with both of you, asea and RD. I lean closer to RD's skepticism that we'd land a better coach, mainly because I don't think any hiring committee can guarantee success, much less when the bar for success is perennial deep playoff runs. But I totally agree that Paul Allen was a good owner and I had more faith in him than in the current leadership group. Not that I'm particularly unhappy with Jody Allen, especially when I see what's happening with other franchises, but Paul was one of the great owners in the league.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:49 am

Yeah, Paul Allen died way too young. He was by far the single most important person in our franchise's history. We can all disagree on Pete, Russell, and just about every other player and coach that has passed through the tunnel, but I don't know of a single Seahawk fan who has said anything bad about Paul Allen.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:43 am

The Head Coach carousel has begun for this year with the Raiders and now Panthers firing their HCs.
Other teams might have opportunities like the Chargers and maybe the Bills if the owners think they need a change to get over the hump.
Washington and Chicago will probably be on the new QB list and there is scuttlebutt regarding the Patriots, Titans, and possibly the Buccaneers.

I think the gem of a teams listed is the Chargers with a good young QB and solid base of players along with living in LA. They've just been under-performing for a couple of years now.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:18 pm

Spohawk5092 wrote:Hawks need to clean house after this season, from top to bottom IMO. Need to get back to what we were, namely a winning team and one that went into the playoffs that were not one and done.

As Pete Carroll is Exec Vice President of Football Operations, who over rules what John Schneider says or wants to do, he isn't going to clean himself out of a job. Buckle in because as long as Pete chooses to coach he won't be going anywhere. The only way he can salvage anything at this point is to strike gold with another bruising running back and a QB who can work off script and make accurate passes and read the blitz, and be elite while being pressured... someone like early Russ.

This game has been and will always been won at the line of scrimmage. Whomever dominates the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball will always come out on top. There are a lot fancy name players on losing teams who play WR, QB, RB, yet anything outside of the line of scrimmage is just window dressing. For all the years Pete has been here he hit gold with Russ who could cover up a bad offensive line, and he did mange to have an effective pass rush early when you had a front with Mebane, Irvin, Clemons, and Bennet and company. However since then it has been a mediocre attempt to find that group that can dominate the line.

If Pete chooses to coach another 3 years, he will be here for another 3 years.
Last edited by 4XPIPS on Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:36 am

4XPIPS wrote:As Pete Carroll is Exec Vice President of Football Operations, who over rules what John Schneider says or wants to do, he isn't going to clean himself out of a job. Buckle in because as long as Pete chooses to coach he won't be going anywhere. The only way he can salvage anything at this point is to strike gold with another bruising running back and a QB who can work off script and make accurate passes and read the blitz, and be elite while being pressured... someone like early Russ.

This game has been and will always been won at the line of scrimmage. Whomever dominates the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball will always come out on top. There are a lot fancy name players on losing teams who play WR, QB, RB, yet anything outside of the line of scrimmage is just window dressing. For all the years Pete has been here he hit gold with Russ who could cover up a bad offensive line, and he did mange to have an effective pass rush early when you had a front with Mebane, Irvin, Clemons, and Bennet and company. However since then it has been a mediocre attempt to find that group that can dominate the line.

If Pete chooses to coach another 3 years, he will be here for another years.

Only because I see no evidence that our owner cares enough and has enough gumption to pull the trigger do I believe that's the case. But if Jody Allen and the people around her ever decide they've had enough, Pete will either be fired or forced to retire. His title is Exec Vice President of Football Operations, not King.

I'm not quite at the point where I'm advocating a coaching change. But if we get smoked tomorrow night, which I think is more likely than not, then I'll be really close. If Pete does something like fire his OC, then I'm done. I'm tired of these 2nd tier, mediocre teams he's been putting out over the past 7 years.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:22 am

Is it just me or does it seem the fan support is shifting on this regime?
When I filter through some of the stories by media and comments on other forums and websites, I get the feeling that there are many more wanting change than a couple of years ago.
But maybe it's just me hoping I'm not alone.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:39 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Is it just me or does it seem the fan support is shifting on this regime?
When I filter through some of the stories by media and comments on other forums and websites, I get the feeling that there are many more wanting change than a couple of years ago.

Many fans seem fatigued by the recurring cycle we’ve endured for years. Each season, there’s substantial excitement around the rookie class, high expectations for veterans, and widespread optimism that gradually fades, leaving us in mediocrity. While Pete and Russell may not replicate Tom and Bill’s success, the lingering question of who was more crucial to a team’s triumph remains. Recent events, especially Tom’s success post-Patriots, hint at an answer. Previously, there was a division among fans, contemplating whether Pete should go or Russell would depart. The trade involving Russell generated valuable draft picks, but if we fail to transform that capital into a leading team within the division and a top 3 NFC conference contender, it’s evident Pete has fallen short once again.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:40 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Is it just me or does it seem the fan support is shifting on this regime?

I don't think it's just you. I do think that the weathervane is beginning to turn.

These next couple of weeks will be critical to Pete's popularity. If we aren't at least competitive in our next three games, all against the top 3 teams in the conference, then it will be a clear signal that we're not ready for Prime Time.

But I'm with Pips regarding Pete. IMO he's going to coach as long as he damn well pleases.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:43 pm

I think so, too with the exception of us getting a new owner. Then all bets are off.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum