Murderer's Row

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Murderer's Row

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:58 am

It's a term taken from the Yankees back in the 1920's, a stretch of the batting order which included Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

We've been talking about it since the season began. Starting this Thursday in a rare Thanksgiving Day appearance, we face the Niners at home, then travel to Dallas to take on the Cowboys in our second successive Thursday night game, travel to Santa Clara to take on the Niners for the 2nd time in 3 weeks, then finish it up with a home contest with the 8-1 Philadelphia Eagles. We could very easily lose all 4 games and slip under .500. IMO we'll be lucky to win one out of the four games.

The Niners went through a mid season slump where they lost 3 in a row to the Browns on a missed 41 yard FG, by 5 points to the Vikings, then committed 3 turnovers in a two touchdown loss to the Bengals. They've since righted the ship, winning their last two games convincingly, 31-3 over a very good Jags team and a 13 point win over the Bucs yesterday. We might be catching them at a bad time as we've looked pretty average lately, losing 2 of our last 3.

The Cowboys will also be playing a back to back on Thursday, so there won't be an advantage gained by either team. They've won 4 of their last 5, their only loss during that stretch coming at the hands of the Eagles, who at 8-1 sport the best record in the league. They've won their past two games decisively, beating the Giants 49-17 and yesterday spanked the Panthers 33-10.

Last come the aforementioned Eagles. They're entering into their own Murderer's Row stretch starting tonight with the Chiefs followed by the Bills, Niners, and Cowboys before we get them at home. Maybe they'll be looking past us.

My guess is that we end up at 7-7 after this stretch. Comments?
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Murderer's Row

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:53 am

With teams like ours, we will win some we should lose and lose some we should win. I think we win at least 1 of them, maybe 2 considering how badly we've played in some of the previous games this year.
If we do lose all 4 then we will might also lose to the Steelers with their opportunistic Defense and probably miss the playoffs. But either way, we've got a long way to be considered a credible threat to go anywhere in the playoffs if we should reach them.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:56 am

NorthHawk wrote:With teams like ours, we will win some we should lose and lose some we should win. I think we win at least 1 of them, maybe 2 considering how badly we've played in some of the previous games this year.
If we do lose all 4 then we will might also lose to the Steelers with their opportunistic Defense and probably miss the playoffs. But either way, we've got a long way to be considered a credible threat to go anywhere in the playoffs if we should reach them.

It's really hard to see us beat the Niners the way they've been playing the last couple of weeks. Brock Purdy put up a perfect game yesterday, at least according to his passer rating, scoring the maximum 158.3, and their defense is still lights out. Too bad we didn't get them last month. This schedule really fell bad for us.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:32 am

RiverDog wrote:It's a term taken from the Yankees back in the 1920's, a stretch of the batting order which included Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

We've been talking about it since the season began. Starting this Thursday in a rare Thanksgiving Day appearance, we face the Niners at home, then travel to Dallas to take on the Cowboys in our second successive Thursday night game, travel to Santa Clara to take on the Niners for the 2nd time in 3 weeks, then finish it up with a home contest with the 8-1 Philadelphia Eagles. We could very easily lose all 4 games and slip under .500. IMO we'll be lucky to win one out of the four games.

The Niners went through a mid season slump where they lost 3 in a row to the Browns on a missed 41 yard FG, by 5 points to the Vikings, then committed 3 turnovers in a two touchdown loss to the Bengals. They've since righted the ship, winning their last two games convincingly, 31-3 over a very good Jags team and a 13 point win over the Bucs yesterday. We might be catching them at a bad time as we've looked pretty average lately, losing 2 of our last 3.

The Cowboys will also be playing a back to back on Thursday, so there won't be an advantage gained by either team. They've won 4 of their last 5, their only loss during that stretch coming at the hands of the Eagles, who at 8-1 sport the best record in the league. They've won their past two games decisively, beating the Giants 49-17 and yesterday spanked the Panthers 33-10.

Last come the aforementioned Eagles. They're entering into their own Murderer's Row stretch starting tonight with the Chiefs followed by the Bills, Niners, and Cowboys before we get them at home. Maybe they'll be looking past us.

My guess is that we end up at 7-7 after this stretch. Comments?

6-8.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:30 pm

I think the 49ers and Shanahan are looking to jack us up. They are at near full strength. I think Bosa and that pass rush are going to eat Geno. Lock better be ready.

I think we could win the Cowboys game, but who knows.

A healthy Frisco is a real Super Bowl contender. Seattle currently is not.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:10 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I think the 49ers and Shanahan are looking to jack us up. They are at near full strength. I think Bosa and that pass rush are going to eat Geno. Lock better be ready.

I think we could win the Cowboys game, but who knows.

A healthy Frisco is a real Super Bowl contender. Seattle currently is not.

The Niners lost a starting safety, Talanoa Hufanga, this past Sunday to a torn ACL, but outside of that, they'll be close to full strength.

Pete said that Geno should be able to play, that he still has functionality but that his wrist is very sore. Kenneth Walker might not be ready to go.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:07 am

NorthHawk wrote:With teams like ours, we will win some we should lose and lose some we should win. I think we win at least 1 of them, maybe 2 considering how badly we've played in some of the previous games this year.

+1 to all of this, except I have just slightly lower expectations of our wins in the row. I'd say "I wouldn't be surprised if we win one of them, and a second win is within the realm of possibility."
Oly
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum