Penalties

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Penalties

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:29 am

We lead the league in penalties even though several teams have played more games:

https://www.nflpenalties.com/

We have the most total penalties, the most accepted penalties, the most average penalty yards per game, the 4th most pre-snap penalties. We had 12 flags against the Rams last Sunday...and yeah, I know, that DPI on 'Spoon was total horsecrap. But other teams are the victims of bad calls, too. Over time, those bad calls tend to even out. The other problem is that refs are human like the rest of us, and when we start demonstrating a tendency to commit penalties, they start looking for them, paying closer attention.

It's not unusual for a Pete Carroll team to be heavily penalized, but we don't have the talent to overcome them like we did during our LOB era.

Comments?
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Penalties

Postby Spohawk5092 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:35 am

This falls entirely on Pete IMO, how many times, games, seasons has, does this continue to be an issue for the Hawks. Especially a Hawk favorite it seems is when we have the ball, and end up with a false start or holding. Time for change, after this season.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:17 am

Comments? The headline for me is the same as always. The penalties cost us games and are on Pete.

I do wonder if they're a natural byproduct of the culture he creates. He wants a free-flowing, fun team that celebrates player uniqueness rather than demanding conformity. If that's the culture you create, I just wonder how well you can crack down on penalties. I remember how Pete replied to questions about Michael Bennett's propensity to wrack up encroachment and offsides penalties: he basically said that was part of who Bennett was, and that aggressive players will get those flags and the trade-offs were worth it. Part of the reason players love playing for Pete is that he doesn't crack down on things like this. Still pisses me off, and I still think he could keep the heart of his culture while enforcing discipline more, but at this point it is what it is and he's never going to fix it.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:52 am

If you break it down by penalty, it looks like this:

Roughing the passer: 5 (tied for 1st with two others)
Offensive holding: Tied for 22nd
False Start: 10th
DPI: 12th
Defensive holding: 32nd
Defensive offside: 23rd
Unnecessary roughness: 21st
Delay of game: 25th
Illegal contact: 27th
Face mask: 19th

That's all they've broken out. I'm not sure why they didn't include things like unsportsmanlike conduct, too many men on the field, illegal formation, etc, but there's no real visible trend based on that information.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:22 pm

FieldGulls put up an interesting statistic comparison:

Penalties and yards

Seattle: 76 for 639
San Fran: 69 for 631

I don’t know breakdown between defensive and offensive penalties, but that would have to include a fair amount of DPIs for the 49ers, and, if the Seahawks are among the most penalized teams in the league, then so are the 49ers. Didn’t expect that.

All the same, the untimely penalties fall on Pete. There’s been too many of those hands to the face penalties on our DBs; both Tre and Riq have committed it and for what? I can’t fathom a reason to risk an automatic first down just to eff with a WR at the line by swatting at his face. That 3rd and 15 getting erased was particularly bad and the most damaging penalty of the game in my opinion. They’ve got to clean this up.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:19 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:FieldGulls put up an interesting statistic comparison:

Penalties and yards

Seattle: 76 for 639
San Fran: 69 for 631

I don’t know breakdown between defensive and offensive penalties, but that would have to include a fair amount of DPIs for the 49ers, and, if the Seahawks are among the most penalized teams in the league, then so are the 49ers. Didn’t expect that.

All the same, the untimely penalties fall on Pete. There’s been too many of those hands to the face penalties on our DBs; both Tre and Riq have committed it and for what? I can’t fathom a reason to risk an automatic first down just to eff with a WR at the line by swatting at his face. That 3rd and 15 getting erased was particularly bad and the most damaging penalty of the game in my opinion. They’ve got to clean this up.

I haven't figured out the penalties per game, but the Niners are 9th in total penalties, so without figuring out the penalties per game, the Niners are likely around the top 5 most penalized team.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:06 pm

Tre Brown bear hugs Kittle in the endzone for a penalty on 3rd down. Well that sums it up again, team discipline is a joke at this point
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:20 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Tre Brown bear hugs Kittle in the endzone for a penalty on 3rd down. Well that sums it up again, team discipline is a joke at this point

At this point, the penalties are what they are. Pete isn't going to change his style. He won't hold players accountable and rather will "talk" with them on Monday, emerging all smiley faced.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum