Geno's Progressive Reads

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Geno's Progressive Reads

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:09 am

I'm not sure who to credit this to, but they're not my comments.

Geno is pretty much a first read quarterback with above average accuracy throwing to that target if said first read receiver is open. And if his first option receiver is not open the probability of an incompletion, throw away, or sack are simply very high. He then has a very difficult time progressing outside of that, especially on high leverage passing downs.

What that means for how the offensive game plan is generally called (and this is no defense of Pete Carroll or Shane Waldron):

Plays with multiple receiver options are generally pointless (and therefore largely nonexistent) unless it is two receivers in same zone or area of the field and Geno can easily progress from one to the next.

Geno cannot reliably progress to checkdown options.

The play design is pretty much scheme the first receiving target open against an inferior defender or softness in the coverage . . . or bust.

Add to this that we typically only throw to the middle of the field and slants to DK when it's a drive to win the game. Otherwise, the risk of interceptions is too high, especially when throwing to DK, who has route running, high point, hands placement, and getting his head around problems. If the game is still close and we are behind then the risk is simply too great, especially when factoring that Geno has a few throws that are just off every game.

We are therefore throwing to the sidelines and at the LOS on far too many plays.

Tight Ends are not effective for this type of offense; as TE's do their work in the areas of the field we don't throw to very often.
This means an easier field to defend overall as there are now miles of tape on Geno's and offenses tendencies.

And it's also why after the first successful offensive series with Waldron scripting out the above, the opposing DC then quickly figures out what adjustments will need to be made.

This means an even easier field to defend on third down and in the red zone as the areas to defend shrink and if the defense can guess the first read receiver then the odds of the play being successfully go waaaaaayyyyyyy (the ****) down.

Add to this we don't really have the O Line personnel to establish reliability in the running game.

There is a cascade of problems that flow from all of the above factors.

If what this guy says is true, it would explain a lot of things, like our red zone efficiency (ranked 26th in the league) and 3rd down efficiency (ranked 30th in the league). It also explains why we are not using our tight ends as they tend to be a 2nd option.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Geno's Progressive Reads

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:05 am

Well you read it somewhere, was it a FB post? Someone's blog? A poster on another forum? It's too long for a bathroom wall ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:53 am

I think that part of that is correct. Geno looks like he's watching the DL coming at him and losing focus downfield.
As well, DK seems to run the majority of his routes straight downfield.
And finally we are not using the Offense that comes with Waldron's background. It's a scaled back version that after the first drive or two shows little variation.
This has all the earmarks of Pete dictating how the Offense should be run.
We saw it with Bevell, we saw it with Schottenheimer (notice how different the Dallas Offense is compared to Seattle?), and now we are doing it with Waldron.
Last year at the start of the year we ran a varied Offense that kept the opposing defense off balance - now it's become predictable and a conservative Shanahan/McVay style Offense.
But that's how Pete wants to play the game.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:52 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Well you read it somewhere, was it a FB post? Someone's blog? A poster on another forum? It's too long for a bathroom wall ...

This is the best I can do:

I stole this from a dude on Fieldgulls named "seventies hawks fan" who stole it from someone else.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:57 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Well you read it somewhere, was it a FB post? Someone's blog? A poster on another forum? It's too long for a bathroom wall ...

RiverDog wrote:This is the best I can do:

I stole this from a dude on Fieldgulls named "seventies hawks fan" who stole it from someone else.

Gotcha. That works.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum