No Punts

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

No Punts

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:02 am

To my recollection, I have never seen a game at any level where neither team punted. Oh, maybe arena football or something offbeat like that, but certainly not at the professional or college level. And it wasn't due to turnovers, of which there was only one the entire game. To say that it was an offensive game is a gross understatement.

Does anyone else recall a game where there were no punts? 
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: No Punts

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:33 am

From PFT:

The Cowboys and Seahawks pulled off a rare feat on Thursday night, playing an entire game without a punt.

It was just the sixth time in NFL history that a game concluded with neither team punting.

The first game in NFL history without a punt was Bills-49ers in 1992, featuring a great quarterback duel between Hall of Famers Jim Kelly and Steve Young. The Packers had two no-punt games in 2014, against the Bears and the Saints. Mike McCarthy was the Packers’ coach then, so after coaching the Cowboys on Thursday night he has now coached in three of the NFL’s zero-punt games. The Eagles-Chiefs regular-season game in 2021 also had no punts. And it’s also happened once in the playoffs, between the Chiefs and Colts in 2003.

Punt-free football tends to be exciting football, and the Cowboys and Seahawks delievered a great game on Thursday night.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: No Punts

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:21 am

NorthHawk wrote:From PFT:

The Cowboys and Seahawks pulled off a rare feat on Thursday night, playing an entire game without a punt.

It was just the sixth time in NFL history that a game concluded with neither team punting.

The first game in NFL history without a punt was Bills-49ers in 1992, featuring a great quarterback duel between Hall of Famers Jim Kelly and Steve Young. The Packers had two no-punt games in 2014, against the Bears and the Saints. Mike McCarthy was the Packers’ coach then, so after coaching the Cowboys on Thursday night he has now coached in three of the NFL’s zero-punt games. The Eagles-Chiefs regular-season game in 2021 also had no punts. And it’s also happened once in the playoffs, between the Chiefs and Colts in 2003.

Punt-free football tends to be exciting football, and the Cowboys and Seahawks delievered a great game on Thursday night.

Thanks! I guess my memory isn't so bad after all.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum