Round 2 Seahawks vs 49ers

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Round 2 Seahawks vs 49ers

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:09 pm

Man, not even in a minute in the game. Well onto next season, however good to see Drew look sharp against a top defense on the road.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Re: Round 2 Seahawks vs 49ers

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:48 pm

5 yard penalty for false start, with only 10 men on field right before a FG attempt, this all right after a Time Out. Thanks goodness Myers hit the FG. Coaching needs to take accountability for the player personal confusion. Just sloppy

Just seems like a carbon copy how the Rams game started. Come out on offense and look efficient, march down field and score a TD on our opening drive, but then once the game settles in we get predictable on 2nd downs, and start to play conservative and just lose that creativity. Game feels like it is slipping away at this point (before the half ends).
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:30 pm

We made it to halftime with a chance to win. What more can you ask for?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:38 pm

Drew has not been bad, losing Spoon has hurt us more than anything.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:03 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Drew has not been bad, losing Spoon has hurt us more than anything.

If he pulls this win off on the road, he has earned the right to stay as starter until Geno is 100% healthy and ready to go and not limited.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:11 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:We made it to halftime with a chance to win. What more can you ask for?

well most times we should always have a chance to win at halftime no matter how bad that score looks, but the feel of the game flow has shifted to the Seahawks getting stale on offense. -
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:07 pm

This season is going about as expected. We really aren't going to be very good until they fix the LBs and run defense meaning the middle of the line. We won't be enough on offense without a higher performing QB. Four more games to go. We got the Eagles coming, which is a likely loss. Then some winnable games.

This is not a contending team. I didn't think it was when the season started. I wish we had never traded for Jamal Adams or Leonard Williams.

I'd like to see the seat heat up under Pete and John. You can't keep failing to produce a quality defense when your whole specialty is defense.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:34 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:This season is going about as expected. We really aren't going to be very good until they fix the LBs and run defense meaning the middle of the line. We won't be enough on offense without a higher performing QB. Four more games to go. We got the Eagles coming, which is a likely loss. Then some winnable games.

This is not a contending team. I didn't think it was when the season started. I wish we had never traded for Jamal Adams or Leonard Williams.

I'd like to see the seat heat up under Pete and John. You can't keep failing to produce a quality defense when your whole specialty is defense.

I honestly only see one win from here on out. Playoff hopes have been long gone for me over a month. I said when we were 5-2 and knew we had problems then and we got away with easy wins, and some wins that we could have easily lost. Now we are 6-7 and there would need to be a miracle to happen to make the playoffs.

Pete's style of defense does not apply to the league rules today, and it is time for him to hang it up, but I think he is just too hard headed to adjust and still think running a soft zone defense is the way to stop offenses, but we just get picked apart week after week on defense. Our offense just lacks creativity, and is too predictable. Even Greg Olsen on Fox pointed out that our 2nd downs are pretty much scripted to runs when its 2nd and 7+, easy to gameplan against. I am no fan of tanking, and don't think tanking will do a whole lot where we are at this point of the season. I just don't think Pete would ever endure a tanking strategy, but with a 7-10 finish we should be able to still grab some talent at that position.

As for QB, well it is good as it gets with what we have now and it does not seem like it will get any better. Need to bring the right staff in here to recruit for better talent, and create more of an effective scheme that works with today's offense.

I said it before, Pete isn't going anywhere because of his roles in the organization.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:47 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:We made it to halftime with a chance to win. What more can you ask for?

a new Coach for starters.....
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:48 pm

as I predicted early before these slogs of tough games, looks like we will be 6-8 by the end of next weekend.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:49 pm

A pretty good start, but we faded at the end.

Lock was OK but turnovers are still his big bugaboo, which canceled out some of his really nice plays. That's been his history, that he can play well for 90% of the time then make two or three really bone head mistakes. He threw two picks and got away with two more, although the last INT was forgivable. He did nothing to make me think that he's our QBOTF.

Our slim playoff hopes got even slimmer today. The Rams lost a close one, but the Vikings won in a real shoot out over the Raiders in Las Vegas. The Packers play tomorrow. We're getting close to raising the white flag on the season.

I'm not completely certain, but I do believe that this is the longest losing streak in the Pete Carroll era. We've lost our last 4 in a row and 5 of the last 6, and it's likely to get worse before it gets better.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:54 pm

4XPIPS wrote:I honestly only see one win from here on out. Playoff hopes have been long gone for me over a month. I said when we were 5-2 and knew we had problems then and we got away with easy wins, and some wins that we could have easily lost. Now we are 6-7 and there would need to be a miracle to happen to make the playoffs.

Pete's style of defense does not apply to the league rules today, and it is time for him to hang it up, but I think he is just too hard headed to adjust and still think running a soft zone defense is the way to stop offenses, but we just get picked apart week after week on defense. Our offense just lacks creativity, and is too predictable. Even Greg Olsen on Fox pointed out that our 2nd downs are pretty much scripted to runs when its 2nd and 7+, easy to gameplan against. I am no fan of tanking, and don't think tanking will do a whole lot where we are at this point of the season. I just don't think Pete would ever endure a tanking strategy, but with a 7-10 finish we should be able to still grab some talent at that position.

As for QB, well it is good as it gets with what we have now and it does not seem like it will get any better. Need to bring the right staff in here to recruit for better talent, and create more of an effective scheme that works with today's offense.

I said it before, Pete isn't going anywhere because of his roles in the organization.

Hard to know if Pete's style is the problem when his safeties are this bad. And his LBs are weak. I'm not buying the scheme issues so much as no longer having the talent to execute the schemes. We're literally watching the players get beat in real time. It don't matter how good your schemes are if the talent is flat out getting beat like watching Deebo blow by Adams or McCaffrey blow through our line and LBs. Your players have to be able to win their matchups for a defense or offense to work and in the case of offense the QB also has to be able to hit the right player at the right time. If they can't, your scheme don't matter because the players will just get beat.

It's why I told you talent beats scheme every time and every Sunday we see it when great players beat weaker players again and again and again. I told you Deebo is a problem. If you don't have safeties good enough to stop Deebo, well, this is what you get.

I'm tired of hearing about this tired ass scheme crap when we don't have good players. Our guys are not good enough to match up with a player like Deebo or a team like Frisco with McCaffrey and Deebo. Until we do get better talent, you could scheme as much as you want and you'll be watching our weaker players get beat.

Adams is crap in pass defense. We never should have traded two first round picks for him.

Diggs is no Earl. He gets beat all the time and misses tackles.

We need better players.

Some of you act like Waldron or Hurtt are on the field. They aren't. We can see with our own eyes our players getting beat or missing tackles or flat out being too slow to the ball. That isn't scheme. That is talent that can't compete.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:14 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Hard to know if Pete's style is the problem when his safeties are this bad. And his LBs are weak. I'm not buying the scheme issues so much as no longer having the talent to execute the schemes. We're literally watching the players get beat in real time. It don't matter how good your schemes are if the talent is flat out getting beat like watching Deebo blow by Adams or McCaffrey blow through our line and LBs. Your players have to be able to win their matchups for a defense or offense to work and in the case of offense the QB also has to be able to hit the right player at the right time. If they can't, your scheme don't matter because the players will just get beat.

It's why I told you talent beats scheme every time and every Sunday we see it when great players beat weaker players again and again and again. I told you Deebo is a problem. If you don't have safeties good enough to stop Deebo, well, this is what you get.

I'm tired of hearing about this tired ass scheme crap when we don't have good players. Our guys are not good enough to match up with a player like Deebo or a team like Frisco with McCaffrey and Deebo. Until we do get better talent, you could scheme as much as you want and you'll be watching our weaker players get beat.

Adams is crap in pass defense. We never should have traded two first round picks for him.

Diggs is no Earl. He gets beat all the time and misses tackles.

We need better players.

Some of you act like Waldron or Hurtt are on the field. They aren't. We can see with our own eyes our players getting beat or missing tackles or flat out being too slow to the ball. That isn't scheme. That is talent that can't compete.

Well that eludes to my point, you can get upset all you want and cry about it, but it takes excellent talent evaluators to address the needs correctly to identify the talented players we need to fit our scheme, which is a lackluster scheme anyhow. Who's fault is it why we don't have "as talented" players on our roster? Hmmm, coaching, coordinators, scouts, trainers?

I just think our total staff as a whole gets a D- grade because they cannot to bring in the talented players we need to execute a high level. This game was an example of great coaching and player development and identifying players that fit their scheme and execute a high level. Yes the coordinators as well as Pete are to blame for putting this product out there, and yes I agree we don't the talented players to compete at a high level.

For you to state we don't have any good players, I think you are dead wrong there. We do have some players that I would say are good players.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:03 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Well that eludes to my point, you can get upset all you want and cry about it, but it takes excellent talent evaluators to address the needs correctly to identify the talented players we need to fit our scheme, which is a lackluster scheme anyhow. Who's fault is it why we don't have "as talented" players on our roster? Hmmm, coaching, coordinators, scouts, trainers?

I just think our total staff as a whole gets a D- grade because they cannot to bring in the talented players we need to execute a high level. This game was an example of great coaching and player development and identifying players that fit their scheme and execute a high level. Yes the coordinators as well as Pete are to blame for putting this product out there, and yes I agree we don't the talented players to compete at a high level.

For you to state we don't have any good players, I think you are dead wrong there. We do have some players that I would say are good players.

I ain't crying about nothing, so don't go there.

I'm telling you that scheme don't trump talent. I've already made it clear I no longer thing Pete and John are good at roster building. I think that is the primary problem with this team. When they first arrived they were using a 7th round pick on Chris Clemons and a 4th round pick on Marshawn Lynch, which was paying pennies for dollars. We were getting great production from both of those players.

Now we're paying dollars for pennies getting lousy production from Jamal Adams and all the other trades that have busted.

Sure, we have some great players, every team has a handful of great players. But not enough and not at key positions for this scheme to work which must be strong up the middle since it uses the CBs to push plays to the middle.

Let me be more spefici:

1. Jamal Adams was a failed trade, badly failed trade. He is not a good player for this scheme. He is not Kam or even close.

2. Diggs is not Earl. He does not read and react like Earl.

3. Bobby Wagner is clearly no longer fast enough to play against TEs and move on ball carriers to hit them in the hole. He's a few yards behind at this point. And that isn't going to cut it.

4. Besides Spoon, I'm not even sure who is great in the secondary. Not sure what happened to Riq this year. Soft tackling don't work if the LBs and D-line are letting runners so often past them that a DBs bad tackling is noticeable. A DB shouldn't even need to make that many tackles if your LBs and D-line are doing the job.

5. We have known our LB corps needed replenishment. We moved to this 3-4 system and I'm not sure if our OLBs are doing the job in the run.

6. On offense, Cross and Lucas are doing well enough. Our receiving corps are good.

We got work to do in the draft. When your best MLB is a 33 going on 34 who is on the downside of his career and your safeties are getting beat like the drums outside the Seattle stadium, you need a talent infusion into the middle of your defense from the D-tackles to the LBs to the safeties.

We have gone through multiple D-coordinators and O-coordinators and nothing has improved it. Guys like Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn looked great when our talent was great and just ok when the talent they were coaching was worse. Now Hurtt and Ken Norton Jr and Schottenheimer and now Waldron all supposedly look terrible now that our talent has fallen off.

Pete Is making trades for guys he evaluates badly. He and John have been doing this for years, then throwing coordinators under the bus to try to explain why the guys they pick aren't performing. How many more coordinators they going to throw under the bus before the owner realizes it's the head coach and GM picking underperforming talent?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:35 am

After seeing Lock for a full game, I don't see a lot of space between him and Geno. Lock hasn't played a lot so he must be at least a little bit rusty but he made some good decisions along with some poor ones.
Since the Cap will be real hard to manage, I would rather they cut Geno and pay Lock $10M or so and draft a young QB to develop for a year. Since they bodged the draft capital by trading for Williams, we have to
expect a few years more of rebuilding.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:08 am

NorthHawk wrote:After seeing Lock for a full game, I don't see a lot of space between him and Geno. Lock hasn't played a lot so he must be at least a little bit rusty but he made some good decisions along with some poor ones.
Since the Cap will be real hard to manage, I would rather they cut Geno and pay Lock $10M or so and draft a young QB to develop for a year. Since they bodged the draft capital by trading for Williams, we have to
expect a few years more of rebuilding.

I agree. I think that Lock managed the pocket better than Geno and he threw some really nice passes like the TD to Metcalf, but he's still subject to brain farts, like that pass he threw after he was beyond the LOS. How in the hell can anyone in that situation not know where they're at on the field? And there was the two picks he got away with in addition to one that was the result of a bad decision.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:59 am

How much has he played in the last couple of years - something like 12 plays before yesterday. Any player at any position is going to have some brain farts and make mistakes, but Geno has similar issues at times and he's played the last 2 years.
As well, it would only be for 1 year and we need a couple of drafts to get more talent over and above QB. Since we only have about $6M in expected Cap space next year according to OvertheCap and we have about 14 players going into FA that we might want to re-sign, cutting Geno (along with Adams and Diggs) could go a long way to signing either our own FA's at some positions and maybe some new ones. It means a lot of Dead Cap accumulation but we are getting into a bind next year without some major changes.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:09 am

NorthHawk wrote:How much has he played in the last couple of years - something like 12 plays before yesterday. Any player at any position is going to have some brain farts and make mistakes, but Geno has similar issues at times and he's played the last 2 years.
As well, it would only be for 1 year and we need a couple of drafts to get more talent over and above QB. Since we only have about $6M in expected Cap space next year according to OvertheCap and we have about 14 players going into FA that we might want to re-sign, cutting Geno (along with Adams and Diggs) could go a long way to signing either our own FA's at some positions and maybe some new ones. It means a lot of Dead Cap accumulation but we are getting into a bind next year without some major changes.

I'm not objecting to bringing Lock back under the conditions you're suggesting. All I'm saying is that so far, I have not seen anything in him that would make me think that he's our QBOTF. The brain farts have been a trademark of his for his entire career, in Denver, with us in the preseason, and in the limited time we've seen him in the regular season this year. It seems like an incurable disease with him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:42 am

I think he's a rough equivalent to Geno, so not the QBOTF, but a good enough and cheap bridge between the Wilson years and a new Franchise QB.
But they would have to draft one to get into that position.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum