Attn: Jody Allen

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Attn: Jody Allen

Postby curmudgeon » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:29 pm

Carroll and Schneider’s “Best By” has expired…….
curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: Attn: Jody Allen

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:51 pm

curmudgeon wrote:Carroll and Schneider’s “Best By” has expired…….

Agreed, although I'm still waiting until we're officially eliminated before I get on my apple box.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:56 pm

RiverDog wrote:Agreed, although I'm still waiting until we're officially eliminated before I get on my apple box.

Really? We been eliminated from Super Bowl contention for going on a decade. Playoffs aren't enough anymore at all.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:00 am

RiverDog wrote:Agreed, although I'm still waiting until we're officially eliminated before I get on my apple box.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Really? We been eliminated from Super Bowl contention for going on a decade. Playoffs aren't enough anymore at all.

Yeah, after sleeping on it, I'm beginning to change my mind. I had been forcing myself to be optimistic. There is a glass half full to consider.

I agree, just making the playoffs doesn't float my boat. To start with, there's an obscene number of teams that qualify, 14 out of 32. With that many participants, making the playoffs is just slightly better than winning the office party booby prize. My rule of thumb is that we should be at least in the top 1/4 of the league, ie within the top 4 in our conference, to have a legitimate shot at the SB. We haven't consistently met that standard for a long time. Since 2016, we've had 1 lonely playoff win.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:27 am

We're 3rd in our Division after being swept by the two teams above us.
We have a chance at a WC spot but the Rams are ahead of us and we are tied with the Falcons but own the tie breaker with them.
But it would seem we will face a somewhat desperate team in the Eagles and should have a tough time with them.
After that will come 3 wins and Pete will trumpet that we are almost there and just need a couple of other pieces, just like he does every year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:57 am

NorthHawk wrote:We're 3rd in our Division after being swept by the two teams above us.
We have a chance at a WC spot but the Rams are ahead of us and we are tied with the Falcons but own the tie breaker with them.
But it would seem we will face a somewhat desperate team in the Eagles and should have a tough time with them.
After that will come 3 wins and Pete will trumpet that we are almost there and just need a couple of other pieces, just like he does every year.

It's pretty difficult to figure out what the eventual conference tiebreakers will be as we haven't played the Packers, Vikings, Saints, or Falcons this season so it will go to the team with the best conference winning percentage, and that likely won't be determined until the final weekend. But we do know that the Rams own the tiebreaker with us.

And you're exactly right. We could lose out, end up with a 6-11 record and Pete will apply so much lipstick to this pig so as to make it unrecognizable.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:35 am

4 games to go, With just a smidge of D we could be 10-7, or 9-8 at worst and last seed playing Niners again.

All is not lost. Would be nice to change HC and coordinators but "who" is harder to come up with than "should"
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:40 am

But is the same thing every year good enough?
Not for me and I'd rather take a chance on getting a new HC that can see long term instead of trading away tomorrow for an attempt at winning today.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:31 am

Uppercut wrote:4 games to go, With just a smidge of D we could be 10-7, or 9-8 at worst and last seed playing Niners again.

All is not lost. Would be nice to change HC and coordinators but "who" is harder to come up with than "should"

NorthHawk wrote:But is the same thing every year good enough?
Not for me and I'd rather take a chance on getting a new HC that can see long term instead of trading away tomorrow for an attempt at winning today.

I'm with North Hawk on this one. We haven't had "a smidge of a D" ever since the LOB broke up, and I see no reason to expect that it will improve under the current circumstances.

Here's our ranking in yards allowed per game over the past few years:

2023 28th (with 4 games remaining)
2022 28th
2021 28th
2020 22nd
2019 23rd
2018 19th
2017 11th

Unless a miracle occurs, we'll finish the season ranked in the bottom 1/3 for the 6th straight season. And defense is supposed to be this head coaches' long suit.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:09 pm

we need a complete and thorough housecleaning, that is all........
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:02 pm

Uppercut wrote:4 games to go, With just a smidge of D we could be 10-7, or 9-8 at worst and last seed playing Niners again.

I envy your spirit, but aren't going to the playoffs, 1-3 next set of games, and we will be drafting somewhere around 18th I bet.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:51 pm

4XPIPS wrote:I envy your spirit, but aren't going to the playoffs, 1-3 next set of games, and we will be drafting somewhere around 18th I bet.

1-3 over the next 4 games? Heck, even a Debbie Downer like me isn't that gloomy.

We should be favored in both the Titans and Cards games, perhaps the Steelers game, too. And, the way Philly looked last night, I wouldn't automatically chalk that one up in the loss column, either.

My take is that best case scenario, we go 3-1, but I'd bet on 2-2. We'll see how the Packers do tonight, they're up 10-7 at the half vs. the Giants, but it's not looking good for us to go to the playoffs. No biggie, even if we back in like we did last season, we're not getting out of the first round.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:14 pm

We could lose out, but I doubt it. Maybe 2 and 2 is likely. If we surprised beat the Eagles, then we could run the table. Eagles are coming off another loss and they gotta get right. They have had a lot of trouble getting right against Seattle over the years.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:52 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:We could lose out, but I doubt it. Maybe 2 and 2 is likely. If we surprised beat the Eagles, then we could run the table. Eagles are coming off another loss and they gotta get right. They have had a lot of trouble getting right against Seattle over the years.

Yeah, I'm not nearly as pessimistic about the Eagles as I was the Niners. For one, we get them at home. Secondly, they've had their problems on defense, having given up 30+ points in each of their last 3 games. They're coming off two major ass whippings. We could be catching them at the right time.

But on the other hand, I have to look at our own performance. We've lost 4 in a row, 5 out of the last 6. And, we're a dropped pick 6 away from having lost 6 of our past 7 and staring at a 5-8 record. For the first time that I can remember, Pete is throwing his players under the bus. The rats are beginning to jump off a sinking ship.

So at this point, it looks like a name calling contest between two juvenile kids living in the same neighborhood. Who has the ugliest stepsister?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:31 pm

RiverDog wrote:1-3 over the next 4 games? Heck, even a Debbie Downer like me isn't that gloomy.

We should be favored in both the Titans and Cards games, perhaps the Steelers game, too. And, the way Philly looked last night, I wouldn't automatically chalk that one up in the loss column, either.

My take is that best case scenario, we go 3-1, but I'd bet on 2-2. We'll see how the Packers do tonight, they're up 10-7 at the half vs. the Giants, but it's not looking good for us to go to the playoffs. No biggie, even if we back in like we did last season, we're not getting out of the first round.

I see just the Steelers as the only win, because they are actually playing as bad or worse than us.

Eagles even though they are facing issues, will certainly beat us. The Cards are playing better since Kyler is back, and for the Titans, it would appear as a win for us but they just went into Miami and beat a pretty good team on the road with a rookie QB

Here are total yards allowed on defense since the Ravens Game

Loss @ Ravens 515 yards
Win(barely) Commanders 356 yards
Loss @ Rams 267 yards (missed FG)
Loss 49ers 377 yards
Loss @ Cowboys 411 yards
Loss @ 49ers 527 Yards

In our last 6 games we are allowing an average of 408 yards/game, and yes a good chunk of that are penalties as well. Regardless, I think we are trending in the wrong direction with this defense, and it is going to keep any opponent in the game.

Yes I said it and I am not trying to root against us, but I think it's the harsh truth that we checked into a 7-10 season.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:33 am

4XPIPS wrote:I see just the Steelers as the only win, because they are actually playing as bad or worse than us.

Eagles even though they are facing issues, will certainly beat us. The Cards are playing better since Kyler is back, and for the Titans, it would appear as a win for us but they just went into Miami and beat a pretty good team on the road with a rookie QB

Here are total yards allowed on defense since the Ravens Game

Loss @ Ravens 515 yards
Win(barely) Commanders 356 yards
Loss @ Rams 267 yards (missed FG)
Loss 49ers 377 yards
Loss @ Cowboys 411 yards
Loss @ 49ers 527 Yards

In our last 6 games we are allowing an average of 408 yards/game, and yes a good chunk of that are penalties as well. Regardless, I think we are trending in the wrong direction with this defense, and it is going to keep any opponent in the game.

Yes I said it and I am not trying to root against us, but I think it's the harsh truth that we checked into a 7-10 season.

The Cards and Titans are both out of the playoff hunt and will be mathematically eliminated by the time we play them. It's going to be very difficult to predict how those two games will turn out. I think we win at least one of those, perhaps both.

If we turn things around and win Monday night, then all bets are off. We'd have a great chance at running the table in our remaining games maybe even sneak into the playoffs. But I'm not holding my breath.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:15 pm

I'm at the point that I'm just watching the games for interest sake and don't have the passion I used to before and during the slide to mediocrity. We don't have any hope of building for the future, but rather to compete today for maybe a winning season. And that doesn't match my goal for this team. Just having a winning record at the end of the year isn't a result I'm particularly interested in. It's like Groundhog year every year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:31 pm

Losing Paul Allen really sucked. He would have already been moving to fix this.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:39 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Losing Paul Allen really sucked. He would have already been moving to fix this.

I think there was some loyalty from Paul to Pete and John, and he would have given them a long leash, however for many years Pete did not have a terrible year, like a 2-14, or 3-13 season. He has managed to win enough to keep his job year after year. The worst thing happened to the Seahawks last season the post Russell Era, was actually having a winning season and a playoff berth. It created optimism and of course a higher expectation from last year to this year. We allegedly upgraded at some positions, and got back big name players with big contracts to play healthy, ie Jamal Adams.

Last year we over achieved, and exceeded expectations.

This year we have regressed and are falling short of expectations.

If last year was a disaster and we had a 3-14 season, I would almost be certain Pete would have been on his way out. It didn't happen, and like a glitch in the matrix, Geno played above expectations and had one half of a stellar year, and one half of mediocre year. We are now getting that continuation of a mediocre year from Geno.

We are now starting to hit historic runs in how bad our defense has been playing, now just in team history, in NFL history. We are in the middle of a long losing streak, and we are having players showcasing their character issues on and off the field.

I think it's safe to say this is the one year thus far the Pete has lost control it, and no one is bought in anymore. If the Hawks make a miracle run and win out and finish 10-7 and slip into the playoffs, this will start all over again and Pete will continue to be our HC. It will take a very poor w-l record year for the Hawk's organization to hang it up on Pete, something like 3-14 or 2-15.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum