Longest Losing Streak of Pete Carroll Era

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Longest Losing Streak of Pete Carroll Era

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:51 am

We've had several 3 game losing streaks since the 2010 season, but never before have we lost 4 in a row, made to look worse when one considers that we've lost 5 of our last 6 games. And, it's likely to get worse before it gets better. Despite the Eagles getting thumped by the Cowboys last night, we're likely to be a solid underdog going into next week's game with them.

At 6-7, not only are we on the outside looking in on the playoff race, but there are also 3 other teams with 6-7 records who are in a similar position. The 6-6 Packers could solidify their hold on the 7th seed with a win or tie tonight over the Giants. The 6-7 Rams own the tiebreaker with us, but the tiebreakers with the other teams, the Saints and Falcons, are a little hard to figure out at this point as it will depend on each team's conference winning percentage.

I'll have to go back and check, but I think I predicted that we'd finish with a 9-8 record. It's beginning to look like we'll be lucky to end with a winning record.

Ugh. More January boredom.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Longest Losing Streak of Pete Carroll Era

Postby Spohawk5092 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:57 am

The Seahawks have slipped to mediocrity or worse. Its time to get this team back to its former glory, somehow, of being at or near the top of our division. This would involve as I have said many many times changes from top to bottom.......
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:04 am

No, this finally is the mediocracy y'all have been saying we are for the last half dozen years. We've been at least competitive over all, now we are only occasionally even that.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:14 am

c_hawkbob wrote:No, this finally is the mediocracy y'all have been saying we are for the last half dozen years. We've been at least competitive over all, now we are only occasionally even that.

It depends on your definition of the terms "mediocre" and "competitive." When I think of being competitive, I'm thinking of a legitimate threat to go to the Super Bowl, which we haven't been for quite some time now.

But no matter what definition you use, it's damn hard to argue that we've been anything more than mediocre when we haven't posted a winning record over what is likely to be the past three years in a row:

2021: 7-10
2022: 9-9, includes playoff loss to Niners.
2023: 6-7 with 4 games remaining.

We're not improving, stuck in neutral. Not bad enough to blow up the team and start over but not good enough to compete for a Super Bowl.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:36 am

This roster has been falling apart for years. The number of roster mistakes has been building over time leaving us with a depleted team at key positions with an especially expensive defense we're getting not much out of even with a head coach that at one point built an historically good defense.

I've been harping on it for years, but bad roster management has been killing this team since the Legion of Boom fell apart. And it doesn't look like Pete and John know how to rebuild this defense to make Pete's football style work. That run heavy-pass to score-take the ball away and make the opponent earn every yard don't work if your players can't stay on the field, can't tackle, and can't run with the opposing team's players. We're getting worked on the ground which opens up the pass and leads to a defense constantly on their heels.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:50 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:This roster has been falling apart for years. The number of roster mistakes has been building over time leaving us with a depleted team at key positions with an especially expensive defense we're getting not much out of even with a head coach that at one point built an historically good defense.

I've been harping on it for years, but bad roster management has been killing this team since the Legion of Boom fell apart. And it doesn't look like Pete and John know how to rebuild this defense to make Pete's football style work. That run heavy-pass to score-take the ball away and make the opponent earn every yard don't work if your players can't stay on the field, can't tackle, and can't run with the opposing team's players. We're getting worked on the ground which opens up the pass and leads to a defense constantly on their heels.

I mostly agree. It has been falling apart for years, since 2015.

But who's to blame? Pete for sure, but what about Schneider? How much input does he truly have on these trades and draft picks? Pete insisted on having authority over the general manager as a condition of his taking the Hawks job, so my guess is that it's primarily Pete's cross to bear.

Although I agree with the philosophy of a new broom sweeping clean...we fired Tim Ruskell at the same time we fired Jim Mora prior to hiring Pete...but I wouldn't mind giving JS a chance to function as a traditional GM. But will we be able to attract the best possible HC candidate if he doesn't at least have a say in who the general manager will be?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:32 am

Do most HC hires have the power to decide who they want as GM?
I thought the traditional way was they would meet and see if their views aligned as to the direction the team should go.
With only 32 HC jobs most eligible HC candidates will bend to the authorities somewhat at least to get that chance. It's an opportunity most don't want to miss.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:04 am

NorthHawk wrote:Do most HC hires have the power to decide who they want as GM?
I thought the traditional way was they would meet and see if their views aligned as to the direction the team should go.
With only 32 HC jobs most eligible HC candidates will bend to the authorities somewhat at least to get that chance. It's an opportunity most don't want to miss.

I honestly don't know how many HC's have the power to decide GM's. I would imagine that most of the established coaches, like Belichick, Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid, et al would at least have considerable input if not veto authority on any GM hiring.

As far as potential HC's not wanting to miss the chance of getting a HC job, it depends on how many openings there are and who's available. If Hairball is available, although I don't want him, I would guess he'd have his choice of several jobs, and it could come down to who the GM is going to be. Hairball fought with his previous GM, so it could be a condition of his accepting an offer.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:01 am

I was thinking more in terms of an Offensive OC in the NFL today moving up to HC. It would probably be a good thing for a young QB to learn for a year or thereabouts.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:05 am

NorthHawk wrote:I was thinking more in terms of an Offensive OC in the NFL today moving up to HC. It would probably be a good thing for a young QB to learn for a year or thereabouts.

Should an opening occur, then like you, I'd prefer a current NFL OC over either a DC or a college coach. But I doubt that one happens. Pete's going to be our coach until they have to carry him out on a stretcher.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:45 am

It was fun when we were building toward something bigger in 2010 - 2012, but that feeling has left with the continual not good enough to compete with the best but too good to get a top Draft pick that we have experienced the last 8 or thereabouts years. I just want us to break that cycle.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:38 pm

RiverDog wrote:I mostly agree. It has been falling apart for years, since 2015.

But who's to blame? Pete for sure, but what about Schneider? How much input does he truly have on these trades and draft picks? Pete insisted on having authority over the general manager as a condition of his taking the Hawks job, so my guess is that it's primarily Pete's cross to bear.

Although I agree with the philosophy of a new broom sweeping clean...we fired Tim Ruskell at the same time we fired Jim Mora prior to hiring Pete...but I wouldn't mind giving JS a chance to function as a traditional GM. But will we be able to attract the best possible HC candidate if he doesn't at least have a say in who the general manager will be?

JS and Pete are so intertwined, I look at them as one entity. Only the owner could possibly know who decides what on our team.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum