Belichick to Chargers?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Belichick to Chargers?

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:53 am

There's been rumors swirling for the last week or so that this is the last season in New England for slam dunk HOF head coach Bill Belichick, and the most often mentioned destination has been the LA Chargers.

Chargers HC Brandon Staley has been under fire for a .500ish regular season record and one lonely playoff appearance in his 3 seasons as head coach. A few weeks ago at a press conference, a reporter asked a legitimate question about Staley continuing to call the defensive plays and Staley literally bit his head off.

Last night's game with the Raiders has to have been a first. Here we have a team that got shut out a week before by a relatively pedestrian team, losing 3-0, but last night, the Raiders put up an incredible 42 first half points on their way to a 63-21 butt kicking of the lifeless Chargers, now 5-9 and virtually eliminated from the playoffs.

So, does Staley make it to Christmas? He said himself that he "doesn't know" if he will remain the Chargers head coach and looks like a dead man walking. Will Bill be taking his torn hoodie with him to the west coast?
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Belichick to Chargers?

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:45 am

Spanos has never fired a coach during the season according to the commentators, but there's always a first.
But I think this is his last year (I thought last year was his last but it wasn't).
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:58 am

NorthHawk wrote:Spanos has never fired a coach during the season according to the commentators, but there's always a first.
But I think this is his last year (I thought last year was his last but it wasn't).

It's also very rare for a coach to resign during the season, but Staley may break that tradition as his body language sure says it. I actually feel sorry for the man. He's lucky that he's not coaching in a place like New York or Chicago.

I don't see any way that Staley remains with the Chargers.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:08 am

Seahawks are a worse version of the Chargers. Chargers of Alaska!!!! LOL End of the Line
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:57 am

It's also very rare for a coach to resign during the season, but Staley may break that tradition as his body language sure says it. I actually feel sorry for the man. He's lucky that he's not coaching in a place like New York or Chicago.

He's made some bad on field decisions and has had a run of bad luck from key injuries, too.
Sometimes it's just not meant to be.
I think he was brought in because he was a good Defensive coach and was a hot commodity in that way, so last night must have been especially disheartening.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:20 am

NorthHawk wrote:He's made some bad on field decisions and has had a run of bad luck from key injuries, too.
Sometimes it's just not meant to be.
I think he was brought in because he was a good Defensive coach and was a hot commodity in that way, so last night must have been especially disheartening.

Staley is facing some of the same questions that fans like us have been asking about Pete. Staley's long suit is defense but by total yards surrendered, the Charger's D is the worst defense in the league.

It's interesting to note that amongst the 6 worst defenses in the league, ie Chargers, Commanders, Bengals, Broncos, Seahawks, and Bucs, 4 of them have head coaches with a defensive background.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:36 am

I think that speaks to how the rules (and game philosophies/acceptance of risk) have changed the game.
Teams more than ever need a high performing Offense to reach the top levels. The rules are giving the Offenses a distinct advantage, why not fully use it?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:16 am

Well, lo and behold, Staley just got the axe, along with the GM:

Chargers fire head coach Brandon Staley, GM Tom Telesco after 42-point loss to Raiders

The Brandon Staley coaching regime has ended in Los Angeles.

After being thoroughly outplayed by the Las Vegas Raiders in a 63-21 loss Thursday, the Los Angeles Charges have fired their head coach, as well as general manager Tom Telesco, per ESPN's Adam Schefter.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chargers-fire- ... 10805.html
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:19 am

That's pretty comical. The owner of the Chargers is TOO CHEAP to even consider Belichick, let alone the idea that he would have to 'trade' to get him, as he's under contract for at least 1 and I think 2 more years to NE.

More then likely, the chargers will go after another no-experience coordinator or college coach as that's the way they do business.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:49 am

jshawaii22 wrote:That's pretty comical. The owner of the Chargers is TOO CHEAP to even consider Belichick, let alone the idea that he would have to 'trade' to get him, as he's under contract for at least 1 and I think 2 more years to NE.

More then likely, the chargers will go after another no-experience coordinator or college coach as that's the way they do business.

Actually, I'm not sure if I'd consider Belichick even if he were free and clear. Like Pete, his time may have past, and he's not an offensive minded coach as we've discussed in other threads. That's not to say that I disagree with your characterization of Spanos.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:50 pm

RiverDog wrote:Actually, I'm not sure if I'd consider Belichick even if he were free and clear. Like Pete, his time may have past, and he's not an offensive minded coach as we've discussed in other threads. That's not to say that I disagree with your characterization of Spanos.

Younger and hungry. Bill B could eat pizza and drink beer sitting in the sidelines in a Hawaiian shirt getting paid pretending he cares and someone would give him a contract. He's never gonna top what he did in New England. You want someone with something to prove. That often enough is what keeps the drive going.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:27 pm

RiverDog wrote:Actually, I'm not sure if I'd consider Belichick even if he were free and clear. Like Pete, his time may have past, and he's not an offensive minded coach as we've discussed in other threads. That's not to say that I disagree with your characterization of Spanos.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Younger and hungry. Bill B could eat pizza and drink beer sitting in the sidelines in a Hawaiian shirt getting paid pretending he cares and someone would give him a contract. He's never gonna top what he did in New England. You want someone with something to prove. That often enough is what keeps the drive going.

You're preaching to the choir!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:52 am

Belichick's history is when he fully trusts the OC and QB, he's somewhat hands off (if what I read about his involvement with the Offense was accurate). The article said he would meet the first day of the week with the QBs and Offensive coaches and go over their opponents Defense where he would point out the inherent weaknesses and players that could be susceptible to types of plays, then leave the Offensive people to do their job and create a game plan. So there was a different game plan for every opponent.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:56 am

Another one bites the dust. Ron Rivera was fired as HC of the Commanders:

In a significant move for the Washington Commanders, the team is set to part ways with head coach Ron Rivera following the conclusion of the current season, as reported by Dianna Russini of The Athletic. This decision comes amidst a challenging period for the team and Rivera, who has struggled to achieve the desired results during his tenure in Washington.

Ron Rivera, aged 61, has been at the helm of the Commanders for four seasons, during which he has amassed a record of 26-36-1, translating to a .421 winning percentage. The current season has been particularly tough for Rivera, marking his most challenging year as a head coach with the Commanders languishing at a disappointing 4–9 record.

Prior to joining the Commanders, Rivera had a notable nine-season run with the Carolina Panthers. His leadership saw the Panthers achieve a commendable 76–63–1 record, highlighted by a memorable journey to the Super Bowl.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/ro ... d2c5&ei=15
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:37 am

We kind of saw that one coming with a new owner and a bad record.
The interesting ones will be the Bears with a team that's now become competitive of late. Will the ownership allow them to continue for another year to see it out?
Longer shots may be Pittsburgh although the ownership rarely changes the coaching staff, and the Falcons who seem to be underproducing.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum