Drew Lock and Jalen Hurts

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Drew Lock and Jalen Hurts

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:04 pm

Get the start tonight.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Drew Lock and Jalen Hurts

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:20 pm

What happened to Geno?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:24 pm

Still can't win on 3rd down.

Pete said Geno looks good but doesn't think he can go a full game.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:29 pm

A flu addled Hurts shreds the D, plus Philly’s D will be pissed. A 3 and out will be brutal…..
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:34 pm

Even by 1 yard.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:44 pm

That might be the most incompetent last minute and a half of football I've seen from a Pete Carroll team. What a lame ending to a half.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:02 pm

Well that opening possession of the second half made up for the bumbling finish of the first!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:03 pm

Whoa! Where did that come from?…..
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:13 pm

Hopefully we can keep it up, we're gonna need to.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:40 pm

This is a better game than I thought it would be.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:14 pm

Wow what a drive! Now it's all on our D
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:16 pm

WOW!!!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:19 pm

Never been happier to be wrong!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:20 pm

I...I did not see this coming. What a bizarre, confounding team these Hawks are.
Oly
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:27 pm

Unbelievable!…..
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby HawkDawg » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:44 pm

For once, we were the sleeper! Nice win, happy for Lock. Game ball goes to Walker.
HawkDawg
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 pm

I thought we would win this one.
Like I’ve said before, teams like ours win some they should lose and lose some they should win.
The Eagles aren’t playing well at the moment. - at least not as well as they can.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:46 am

NorthHawk wrote:I thought we would win this one.
Like I’ve said before, teams like ours win some they should lose and lose some they should win.
The Eagles aren’t playing well at the moment. - at least not as well as they can.

Is Jalen Hurts overrated?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:03 am

a shame we couldn't have played like this against the Rams, twice or the Niners, twice.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:37 am

I don't think it would have mattered.
McVay has our number and the 49ers are a much better team.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:50 am

49ers still probably get us, but there was no reason not to win that second rams game if not for those awful penalties. That’s the one that is going to bite the team at the end besides more losing.

It was interesting that Woolen and Adams were benched and inactive, respectively. They both seem to be in the dog house and Adams more so. Love played way better in the back end than Adams. I wonder if this is a sign that Pete is over running Adams out there. At this point, I’d rather see him out there as a LB if at all. Woolen I hope just needed this reality check. Super talented dude, but talent gets you no where in the NFL without putting in the work and staying disciplined. I don’t know if that’s the issue, but he’s been put on notice.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:13 am

It's been a while since we've had a true quarterback controversy, but we have one now.

It will be interesting to see how Pete handles this. The old adage is that you don't lose your starting job due to injury, but I'm reminded of when Alex Smith of the Niners got hurt and was replaced by Colin Kaepernick. Smith was playing well and the Niners were winning, but Hairball stuck with Kaep and rode him all the way to the Super Bowl and within a whisker of a Lombardi.

Lock didn't show us anything that he hasn't done in the past. We knew that he's good at managing the pocket and can make all the throws. The difference last night was that he didn't have any of the brain farts that he usually has at least once a game and always seem to come at the worst time. Hurts, on the other hand, played poorly, and I'm not sure you can blame it on his illness as he hasn't been playing particularly well lately anyway.

Anyhow, I vote for giving Lock a shot, let him start another couple of games. I don't think that Geno was playing well enough to justify having a stranglehold on the position.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:55 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:49ers still probably get us, but there was no reason not to win that second rams game if not for those awful penalties. That’s the one that is going to bite the team at the end besides more losing.

It was interesting that Woolen and Adams were benched and inactive, respectively. They both seem to be in the dog house and Adams more so. Love played way better in the back end than Adams. I wonder if this is a sign that Pete is over running Adams out there. At this point, I’d rather see him out there as a LB if at all. Woolen I hope just needed this reality check. Super talented dude, but talent gets you no where in the NFL without putting in the work and staying disciplined. I don’t know if that’s the issue, but he’s been put on notice.

There was talk that Pete was upset about Woolen not playing like they practiced. I think maybe Adams with his self aggrandizement (sp) is influencing the younger players in a bad way. We don't want to lose the talents of Woolen and Spoon because they are following the lead of Adams with his attitude.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:58 am

RiverDog wrote:It's been a while since we've had a true quarterback controversy, but we have one now.

It will be interesting to see how Pete handles this. The old adage is that you don't lose your starting job due to injury, but I'm reminded of when Alex Smith of the Niners got hurt and was replaced by Colin Kaepernick. Smith was playing well and the Niners were winning, but Hairball stuck with Kaep and rode him all the way to the Super Bowl and within a whisker of a Lombardi.

Lock didn't show us anything that he hasn't done in the past. We knew that he's good at managing the pocket and can make all the throws. The difference last night was that he didn't have any of the brain farts that he usually has at least once a game and always seem to come at the worst time. Hurts, on the other hand, played poorly, and I'm not sure you can blame it on his illness as he hasn't been playing particularly well lately anyway.

Anyhow, I vote for giving Lock a shot, let him start another couple of games. I don't think that Geno was playing well enough to justify having a stranglehold on the position.

I think he'll start Geno, but because of last night, Geno might be on a much shorter leash.
Unfortunately we have some real lightweight teams to end the season (if there is such a thing in the NFL), so we might just back into the playoffs again this year and lose a valuable spot in the draft.
Another year, another lost year of hope.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:46 am

Pete's already said Geno's still our starter. And I'm OK with that, for now.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:18 am

Lock's final drive was, obviously, very good. And credit to him for balling out when it mattered. But let's say that JSN's 7 fingertips didn't get the job done on that last throw and the Hawks lose after putting only one TD on the board. We'd be talking about how it might have been different if he hadn't thrown so low to DK on that crossing route that DK had to dive. Or that, later in the drive on the 1st down throw, how the low and behind throw almost got picked, and may have if DK wasn't strong enough to wrest it away for that rolling-on-the-turf catch. We'd be talking about how he threw short on first down on a few occasions, how he locks on his first target and stares them down, etc. I see Lock as a good backup but would be one of the worst starters in the league.

I think Geno gives the Hawks a better chance to win. I also hope to high heaven that the 2024 starting QB is neither Geno nor Lock.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:01 pm

He might show as one of the worst backups, but he hasn’t had a lot of practice with the first team Offense so the timing during games will be off. I’d like to see a few more games of him playing before making a definitive decision. Just maybe he’s at the point in his career where the light goes on but we won’t know if he doesn’t play.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:11 pm

I can go either way at this point, though I think Geno has the edge with his number of starts in the offense. I also don't think he has done anything to warrant losing the job to Lock. On the other hand, like North said, Lock hasn't had a lot of practice with the first team with Geno in limbo. It was pretty clear they didn't let Lock completely let loose until they had to on that last drive.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby trents » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:16 pm

RiverDog wrote:Hurts, on the other hand, played poorly, and I'm not sure you can blame it on his illness as he hasn't been playing particularly well lately anyway.

Yes, but Hurts has been hurt for the last several games. Knee I believe. Not bad enough to keep him out but it is affecting his play. He's one of those warriors who will insist on being out there when maybe he shouldn't.
trents
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:34 pm

He might show as one of the worst backups

That's funny, on NFLN post game last night they were saying he might be the best backup in the league and how rare it was nowadays to have a backup that can win you a game as opposed to just not being the reason you lost.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:19 pm

He might show as one of the worst backups

c_hawkbob wrote:That's funny, on NFLN post game last night they were saying he might be the best backup in the league and how rare it was nowadays to have a backup that can win you a game as opposed to just not being the reason you lost.

I dunno about that. There's been a number of backups that have "won you a game" this season. Jake Browning is 3-1. Danny DeVito is 3-2. Gardner Mustache is 6-4. Contrast that with Lock's 1-1 record as a starter. Best backup in the league? The numbers don't support that.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:23 am

Best backup or not, he inspired some confidence should the team need to rely on him again. The drop off from Geno to Drew isn't as much as other QB1 and QB2 in the league.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:45 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Best backup or not, he inspired some confidence should the team need to rely on him again. The drop off from Geno to Drew isn't as much as other QB1 and QB2 in the league.

Can we afford to pay Geno $31M next year? Is the difference between Lock and Geno that much that we have to pay Geno for middling performances?
I'd like to see more of Lock in real games to better know. If Monday night is any indication, there is a gap between the two, but less than I originally thought.
So is the difference in performance worth about $20M in a Cap strapped situation? I honestly don't know the answer to that.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:23 pm

For this season, Geno is still the guy, but I have more confidence in Lock should Geno get hurt again or his game takes a nosedive.

Next season, if they think they are seeing enough out of Lock, I think letting Geno go is a on the table. $31 million is a lot, and I still say they make some moves to draft a QB in the first round. I could see a Matt Flynn type situation with Lock competing against a rookie. We've always known Geno was a bridge guy, and he can probably be that again next season for another team. I don't think the team rolls with Geno, Lock, and a 1st round rookie next season. Geno or Lock have to go in that scenario, in my opinion.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:51 am

Agreed, Mack. By the way my go to jersey is a Strong #38.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum