Cards Game

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Cards Game

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:52 am

Well, here we go again. Literally.

Just like last season, we're 8-8 and entering the final week of the regular season needing a win over a divisional opponent and a loss by the Green Bay Packers so that we can slam it into reverse and back into the playoffs. Que up that annoying construction site beep they play when the opposing offense draws a penalty. Call 2022 and 2023 Pete and Re-Pete, jogging in place.

For us, DE Mario Edwards (knee), G Phil Haynes (toe), T Abraham Lucas (knee), RB Kenny McIntosh (thumb) are all out.

LB Nick Bellore (knee), LB Jordyn Brooks (ankle), T Jason Peters (foot), NT Jarran Reed (knee) are all questionable, although Pete did say recently that Brooks is playing.

G Anthony Bradford (knee, shoulder), C Evan Brown (concussion), CB Artie Burns (knee), WR Tyler Lockett (toe), RB Kenneth Walker III (shoulder), DE Leonard Williams (shoulder) are all likely to play.

For the Cards, OL D.J. Humphries (knee), DL Dante Stills (knee), and CB Garrett Williams (ankle) are out.

S Andre Chachere (shoulder), LB Victor Dimukeje (foot), DL Leki Fotu (hand), LB Dennis Gardeck (knee), WR Zach Pascal (hamstring), and OL Elijah Wilkinson (illness) are questionable.

This one is tough to call. Last week, the Cards played one of their best games of the season, beating a good Eagles team, while we played one of our worst by losing at home to a very pedestrian Steelers team led by their third string quarterback. The Cards don't have much to play for, but then again, they didn't have anything to play for last week yet pulled off one of the bigger upsets of the season.

The NFL has scheduled the kickoff of both our game and the Packers-Bears game at the same exact time so as not to give one team an advantage by knowing the result of the score before the game starts. But you can bet that there'll be a lot of scoreboard watching.

I have us winning a close one, 27-24.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Cards Game

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:09 am

The injuries concern me. Also concerned Reed is a game time decision. They elevated Gotel and Failou(?) from the PS. Their running game and McBride are going to give the D trouble. Would love if they would just jump on the Cardinals early with a good lead, but I don’t think the defense will allow that. I think you’re right; best case for a win will be a close one. What I really want to see is sound tackling and disciplined play. Tired of the torpedoing and getting baited into retaliation.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:39 am

IMO we win the battle but lose the war. We'll beat the Cards, but the Packers will beat the Bears and we'll be on the outside looking in.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:53 am

That’s a real possibility. I think Bears will come to play, but will they be good enough?
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:52 am

The Cards have been a really good run team lately and we all know what the Steelers did last week to us, so it might be a pretty close game.
If Pete lets the Offense be what it can and should be we might see a high scoring game and we win.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:13 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:That’s a real possibility. I think Bears will come to play, but will they be good enough?

The Packers looked really good last week in destroying a solid Vikings team. Jordan Love is starting to look like the real deal. The Bears had a good game last week, too, but being that they're playing on the Frozen Tundra, I'd put my money on the Pack.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:33 pm

That win felt like a loss.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:39 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:That win felt like a loss.

Can’t help what others teams do. Seattle handled their business. Rather this outcome than a loss.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:48 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:That win felt like a loss.

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Can’t help what others teams do. Seattle handled their business. Rather this outcome than a loss.

Two missed FG's in a dome by the Cards normally reliable kicker, either one of which could have sealed our fate? That's not an inspiring win that's going to carry over into the next season. All it did was hurt our draft position.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:08 pm

Inspiring is taking your last chance to score and do it with an amazing throw and catch and then a 2 point conversion. I’ll leave it to the locker room to take what they will from the win, though I’d bet winning the game was better losing. I’d rather that than a meager increase in draft position.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:13 pm

Nice to end the season on a winning note, but that's it for the season, no playoffs for the Seahawks this year. Looking forward to an eventful offseason.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:14 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Can’t help what others teams do. Seattle handled their business. Rather this outcome than a loss.

I'd rather lose. I'd rather change coaches and GMs. This coaching staff is done.

This is not an improvement, this is a regression after two drafts with high draft position.

Now we're missing a 2nd round pick because Pete and John assessed the competitiveness of the team wrongly.

Next year is year 10 from going to the Super Bowl and losing, year 11 from the win. We traded our Pro Bowl QB for a King's ransom and in year two of that king's ransom, we did worse than year 1 as in regressed.

Our RT looks like he's done. Knee injuries on large men don't usually suddenly recover.

Charles Cross is ok.

Riq seems to have regressed.

Boye Mafe is improving, but who would know when the defense is still terrible.

The Adams traded was an inexcusable disaster.

The head coach and GM need to be held accountable. This stupid win keeps making folks like yourself believe what...'we're going somewhere? We're improving? What did we get out of this win? Absolutely nothing.

Coach and GM need to go. I cannot trust either one to handle this team well any longer. I'm tired of this noncompetitive team that continues to regress and make excuses for the GM and head coach that are done.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:28 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote: What did we get out of this win?

We got a year of experience that culminated in winning a must win game. This will help the rookies and younger players on the team in future seasons.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:31 pm

The players might not rather lose. The win doesn’t mean the coach and GM are safe either.

Maybe. I think expected a 10-win record with a division round exit as the ceiling. It was a dumpster fire 3 seasons ago. It takes time to come back.

In hindsight, yes. I am not thrilled about giving up the second, but their reasoning wasn’t unjustifiable at the time.

It’s just now two full seasons removed. That doesn’t worry me; my patience is t yet spent.

Abe Lucas is unfortunate. They are better with him in.

Cross is very young.

Not sure what is going on with Riq, but he’s also very young. That he took a step back in year two isn’t abnormal and he was a 5th rounder.

Mafe is encouraging. Wish Nwosu had been healthy to run with him.

The Adams trade has been covered ad nauseam.

You’re assuming too much on this one. I’m happy with the win; that doesn’t mean I think the team is for sure going somewhere. Changes obviously need to be made, and if that ends being the coach and GM, then so be it. That I don’t think the process started with the Russell Wilson trade is over or failing doesn’t mean I’m content. It’s only been two seasons.

That could very well be the necessary outcome.

****on my phone; quoting each phrase is a pain****
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:19 pm

What did this win get us? We went from the 14th pick to the 16th.
It might end up not being significant, but if a team in front of us at 14 or 15 trades down then we might miss a chance to get an early pick next year or recoup a 2nd round pick this year.
On the other hand, it might be a better position as a team trading up might not have to give up quite as much and be more willing to trade. So we will see how the draft goes.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:33 am

The first priority for this draft will be a quarterback. This draft is heavy with good arms and there should be one that will be a possible future for us. Go with Gino or Lock for next season to allow a rookie to learn. Personally I would be willing to trade our whole draft to move up into the top 5 to get one of the best. If not, Penix or someone, will be there at #16. We cannot go year after year without drafting a QB, and now is the time.

Clean house, new coaching staff, keep Schneider, draft a promising QB, and allow the new staff utilize our talent better. We have talent. We lack imagination.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:22 am

Old but Slow wrote:The first priority for this draft will be a quarterback. This draft is heavy with good arms and there should be one that will be a possible future for us. Go with Gino or Lock for next season to allow a rookie to learn. Personally I would be willing to trade our whole draft to move up into the top 5 to get one of the best. If not, Penix or someone, will be there at #16. We cannot go year after year without drafting a QB, and now is the time.

Clean house, new coaching staff, keep Schneider, draft a promising QB, and allow the new staff utilize our talent better. We have talent. We lack imagination.

Agreed about a QB. It's a much better class than the past few years, and yes, I'd consider trading up if one of the top ones is in reach. And yes, I'd like to hang onto John Schneider, but Pete has to go along with his garbage coaching staff. We need a new beginning. Time to turn the page on this era. Once again, we fielded an awful defense, ranked 30th by total yards, 30th in rushing defense. We're not improving.

As far as the game goes, it was a virtual gift. We got beat in nearly every statistical category and had to depend on not just one, but two missed FG's in a dome attempted by a usually reliable kicker. The Cards and Kyler Murray horribly mismanaged that last drive.

But one thing that did help us is that we didn't draw a single penalty. Can anyone remember a game where we went without drawing a single flag? I'm not even sure if we had a penalty that was declined. The Cards only had 5. It was a very loosely called game, with lots of occasions where the refs could have and should have thrown a flag.

One of the first things that has to happen in the offseason is to get rid of both Adams and Diggs and eat their contracts. With this defense of ours and our need for a QB, it's going to be a few years before we're competitive again whether or not we have a coaching change. We can't win consistently with the types of defenses Pete has been trotting out.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:48 am

Clean it all out including Schneider. Personnel moves have been severely lacking after McCloughan’s departure……
curmudgeon
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum