First Post Season Coaching Change

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

First Post Season Coaching Change

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:14 pm

Arthur Smith formerly of the Falcons has been fired.
He's the first of a bunch I would expect.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: First Post Season Coaching Change

Postby Old but Slow » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:37 am

There is likely a lot of movement in the next few days. If you want to make a change, do it early so that you have more choices.

Some are suggesting that if the 'Hawks fire the coordinators, it will mean that Pete will be back. I am not so sure.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:35 am

Tell the truth Monday.

The Truth: Pete has lost his mojo. It is absolutely unacceptable for a head coach that is a former DC for fielding a defense this bad. Unacceptable.

Need a change at the top.

I think some teams are setting up for the Harbaugh sweepstakes.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:00 am

I am waiting to see if he does the right thing, and steps down. Time for change!!
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:08 am

Black Monday.

Ron Rivera is all but gone. Belichick is supposedly meeting with Robert Kraft as we speak. And if the Cowboys lose in the first round, don't be surprised to see Mike McCarthy get the axe.

Don't hold your breath on a coaching change for us. If Pete's post game presser is any indication, he's not going anywhere.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:26 am

Rivera officially fired.
I think it's far too early for Pete to make a decision like this, but the FO might do it for him and teams can't contact coaches for a couple of weeks now so they might take their time.
Like RD, I doubt he will be invited to leave, but you never know.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:36 am

Carroll’s contract is guaranteed for 2024. Assuming a forced retirement or asking him to step down comes with a buyout. Not sure if that will carry any weight in the discussions.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:49 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Carroll’s contract is guaranteed for 2024. Assuming a forced retirement or asking him to step down comes with a buyout. Not sure if that will carry any weight in the discussions.

I don't think one years salary will affect the decision. If he had 3 or 4 years then I suspect it would.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:39 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Carroll’s contract is guaranteed for 2024. Assuming a forced retirement or asking him to step down comes with a buyout. Not sure if that will carry any weight in the discussions.

NorthHawk wrote:I don't think one years salary will affect the decision. If he had 3 or 4 years then I suspect it would.

I agree. Our owner didn't earn her money, so it's likely that it will slide out of her pocket a little easier than it would with the person who did earn it, or at least that's what I've seen in my experience with people who inherit large sums of money. Bottom line is that if the team wants to move on from Pete, money won't be an issue.

If Pete does move on or if we move on from him, it will be interesting to see what happens with John Schneider, who is currently signed through the 2027 draft. Personally, I'd like to see him stay and give him traditional GM responsibilities instead of having to work for the head coach, but such an arrangement might deter a top coaching prospect from coming to work for us. It might be better just to hit the reset button completely like we did when we fired Mora and Ruskell.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:18 pm

If a GM interviews a Coach, presumably he will choose one that fits his viewpoint and he can get along with.
So if we got rid of both and the traditional hierarchy was reinstated with a new General Manager, the same process would happen. I think if JS is a real good identifier of talent and has been overruled or negatively influenced by Carroll, then we might be better off by keeping him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:39 pm

Pete isn't going anywhere, and he already stated he wants to coach in 2024, so buckle up for another above average year. There is a lot of chatter of what should happen vs what is reality, and the reality is that Pete is still here for next year and possibly the year after. Had we gone 7-10 then I would believe there is a small change Pete hangs it up. However, just speculating here but I believe Team Ops see this a building stone for the future after the way this year ended.

As for the defense, and I chattered about it back in the preseason where we couldn't stop the run, and we still can't. I believe Pete is trying his best, but I believe his best can't do it anymore. Had we lost the Cards game would could have been picking closer to 10th or 11th in the draft, but now we are further from that.

Roster desperately needs an overhaul as well as the coaching staff.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:53 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Pete isn't going anywhere, and he already stated he wants to coach in 2024, so buckle up for another above average year. There is a lot of chatter of what should happen vs what is reality, and the reality is that Pete is still here for next year and possibly the year after. Had we gone 7-10 then I would believe there is a small change Pete hangs it up. However, just speculating here but I believe Team Ops see this a building stone for the future after the way this year ended.

As for the defense, and I chattered about it back in the preseason where we couldn't stop the run, and we still can't. I believe Pete is trying his best, but I believe his best can't do it anymore. Had we lost the Cards game would could have been picking closer to 10th or 11th in the draft, but now we are further from that.

I read an article earlier where he stated he plans on being back. The article also insinuated there could be coaching staff changes, and Clint Hurtt has to be #1 on the list of coaches to be canned. I know alot of people think it's Pete's defense and he keeps on throwing coordinators under the bus. Who knows, maybe that is mostly true, but perhaps he gives his D coordinators more rope than we know. The tackling this year and last has been utterly comical, so many bad angles taken and not knowing how to properly wrap up or attack a ball carrier.

Here is a list of pending UFA's/RFA's the Seahawks have, who comes back and who do they let walk?

UFA's
L. Williams(DE)
M. Edwards (DE)
B. Wagner (ILB)
D. Bush (ILB)
J. Brooks (LB)

D. Lock (QB)
D. Dallas (RB) - not a fan of Deejay at all
P. Haynes (G)
D. Lewis (G)
E. Brown (C)
C. Parkinson (TE)

D. Taylor (OLB) - RFA
M. Jackson (CB) - RFA
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:16 pm

Agent 86 wrote:Here is a list of pending UFA's/RFA's the Seahawks have, who comes back and who do they let walk?

UFA's
L. Williams(DE)
M. Edwards (DE)
B. Wagner (ILB)
D. Bush (ILB)
J. Brooks (LB)

D. Lock (QB)
D. Dallas (RB) - not a fan of Deejay a
P. Haynes (G)
D. Lewis (G)
E. Brown (C)
C. Parkinson (TE)

D. Taylor (OLB) - RFA
M. Jackson (CB) - RFA

If it were me, the only ones I'd keep would be Williams, Edwards, Wags, Lewis, and Jackson. I'd let all those other bums walk.

If we don't draft a QB or sign one in FA, I'd consider bringing Lock back to backup Geno again. But I'm hoping that we grab one of the top Qb's in this year's draft.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:23 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Pete isn't going anywhere, and he already stated he wants to coach in 2024, so buckle up for another above average year. There is a lot of chatter of what should happen vs what is reality, and the reality is that Pete is still here for next year and possibly the year after. Had we gone 7-10 then I would believe there is a small change Pete hangs it up. However, just speculating here but I believe Team Ops see this a building stone for the future after the way this year ended.

Yeah, I'm afraid that you're right. Here's some comments from an interview with Pete today:

“We needed one more. We should have had three more to have the season that we could have had,” coach Pete Carroll said after the Arizona game. “We were capable of doing that. I’m really disappointed about that. Really disappointed because I think we should have been better.”

“I’m not worn out. I’m not tired. I’m not any of that stuff,” Carroll said on his radio show Monday. “I need to do a better job and I need to help my coaches more, and we need to do a better job of coaching.”

Pete's ego won't let him quit on a sour note, and our owner doesn't have the balls (literally) to do what her brother would have done last season.

So get ready for another 9-8 .500ish season, b**** slapped again by the Niners, maybe back into the playoffs only to be one and done. Pete and Re-Pete, barf, rinse mouth and do it again in 2025.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:28 pm

I just don't see how you can be ok with a defensive coach having a terrible defense this many years in a row. I don't see any accountability if you aren't looking at the results of the money spent (most on the defensive side of the ball), draft, and overall management of talent from coaching to trades to drafting and be ok with this type of defensive performance for going on five plus years and multiple coordinators. Ownership should not tolerate such a poor performance from a coach who is supposed to know defense as well as anyone in the league.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:40 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I just don't see how you can be ok with a defensive coach having a terrible defense this many years in a row. I don't see any accountability if you aren't looking at the results of the money spent (most on the defensive side of the ball), draft, and overall management of talent from coaching to trades to drafting and be ok with this type of defensive performance for going on five plus years and multiple coordinators. Ownership should not tolerate such a poor performance from a coach who is supposed to know defense as well as anyone in the league.

Unless you are talking specifically to one individual, you might consider substituting the word "anyone" for "you" in your first sentence. For a second, I thought that you were addressing me as my post was directly above yours.

I wanted Pete gone after last season. I hardly think that this season's results would alter that opinion.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:54 pm

Perhaps a letter campaign to Jody Allen to make a change could work. Nah. In the meantime, if there are not some major changes in the coaching staff (cough: coordinators), I may barf over all my furniture I have broken.

The team currently lacks any kind of imagination. While other teams are adapting to changes, the Seahawks stay the course. Unfortunately, the course seems to be toward the mid-Atlantic doldrums.

Pete loves being a head coach. He will continue as long as he is upright. It will take a move by management to remove him. John? Not likely, but it would be brilliant.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:58 pm

Unless you are talking specifically to one individual, you might consider substituting the word "anyone" for "you" in your first sentence. For a second, I thought that you were addressing me as my post was directly above yours.

I wanted Pete gone after last season. I hardly think that this season's results would alter that opinion.

I read it as the post using the universal you and not commenting to the previous poster, but these things are difficult to get across in a print format.

I'm hoping that there is a mutual parting of the ways because no matter how ASF words it, I think he's basically correct.
The last 3 years we have gone 7-10, 9-8 (Wild Card loss), and 9-8 out of the playoffs. Since 2016 we have 2 playoff wins.
This isn't the record of a team getting better and this year there will be some tough choices for signing our own Free Agents because we are real tight on the Cap.
If we do sign the important FA's, we won't be able to dip into the FA pool outside of replacing former starters with other teams backups and castoffs.
That's not normally the way to build a team or increase productivity and the OL needs continuity to at the very least not have a downgrade. We will draft a couple of players, but Pete doesn't usually start rookies.
So next year might be worse than this year. But with parity in the NFL, you never really know.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:04 am

Old but Slow wrote:Perhaps a letter campaign to Jody Allen to make a change could work. Nah. In the meantime, if there are not some major changes in the coaching staff (cough: coordinators), I may barf over all my furniture I have broken.

The team currently lacks any kind of imagination. While other teams are adapting to changes, the Seahawks stay the course. Unfortunately, the course seems to be toward the mid-Atlantic doldrums.

Pete loves being a head coach. He will continue as long as he is upright. It will take a move by management to remove him. John? Not likely, but it would be brilliant.

Haven't we had 2 OCs and 3 DC's in the last 6 or 7 years? It seems to me that we've tried that and the single common denominator is Pete Carroll.
He's the guy who stifles the Offense and he's the guy who keeps frittering away draft picks for questionable players or players that don't stay after being traded for.

I think we can only hope that Jody makes a change. Sadly I don't think she has it in her to do so.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:50 am

Old but Slow wrote:Perhaps a letter campaign to Jody Allen to make a change could work. Nah. In the meantime, if there are not some major changes in the coaching staff (cough: coordinators), I may barf over all my furniture I have broken.

NorthHawk wrote:Haven't we had 2 OCs and 3 DC's in the last 6 or 7 years? It seems to me that we've tried that and the single common denominator is Pete Carroll. He's the guy who stifles the Offense and he's the guy who keeps frittering away draft picks for questionable players or players that don't stay after being traded for.

I think we can only hope that Jody makes a change. Sadly I don't think she has it in her to do so.

I agree with both of these comments.

And I'll add that changing coordinators could send the wrong message to the players, the organization in general, and potential free agents/coaches. It could say that Pete is flailing, grasping for straws, doesn't have a plan. Why would an up-and-coming position coach want to come here and see his career torpedoed or retarded working for Pete?

Which brings up another point. Take a look at Pete's coaching tree. For as long as he's been in the business, he really hasn't procured very many coaches, the most prominent being Dan Quinn, who got fired in his only head coaching position. It's not like The Walrus who had guys like Andy Reid, George Seifert, Ray Rhodes, and Jon Gruden on his staff at one time or another. That doesn't speak well of Pete's ability to coach coaches.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:08 am

Didn't Gruden, Siefert, and Reid come from Bill Walsh's tree along with Holmy?
But your point is essentially correct. In his latest tenure in the NFL, there haven't been any real successful HCs coming from Pete's staff. It actually might look like this is where Coordinators come to disappear.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:45 am

so here's the latest on Carroll. His contract is up in 2025. He says he will continue to Coach, BUT there will be changes. What he wouldn't say.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:04 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Didn't Gruden, Siefert, and Reid come from Bill Walsh's tree along with Holmy?

I'm not sure how they define a 'coaching tree'. You could say that they came from Paul Brown's coaching tree, too, because Walsh worked for Brown. The point is that all of those guys worked on Holmgren's staff, and I think that they were all together at one time.

NorthHawk wrote:But your point is essentially correct. In his latest tenure in the NFL, there haven't been any real successful HCs coming from Pete's staff. It actually might look like this is where Coordinators come to disappear.

Quinn seems to be doing well in Dallas and might get a shot at another HC position. It's interesting that the Cowboys have two ex-Seahawk DC's/OC's as their coordinators as Brian Schotty is their OC.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:57 pm

Mike Vrabel fired by the Titans.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:17 pm

I really wish we were going to sign Harbaugh. Paul Allen could get Harbaugh to come here. I think that guy is going to win a Super Bowl. He did the job he was brought into do at Michigan. Harbaugh has always built winners and gotten the most out of players. We're not even in the running because ownership is in limbo in Seattle.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:18 am

Yah, I wouldn't mind a proven winner as HC. At least he would shake things up around here and make it interesting.
The worst thing about treading water is it tends to develop fan apathy and we see that settling in with all the other teams jerseys in the stands including hated enemies like Pittsburgh.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:27 am

An unexpected non change at HC.
The Bears according to Schefter are going to keep Matt Eberflus as HC.
That's surprising to me, and it makes me wonder if they will also keep Fields at QB since Eberflus has developed a relationship with him and has seen some real development.
A little intrigue to the draft at this point.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:21 am

Current openings as of Jan.10, three in each conference:

Atlanta
Carolina
Washington
Las Vegas
Los Angeles Chargers
Tennessee
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:35 am

Nearly everyone expected the Bears to part ways with Eberflus. That's the biggest surprise in this annual Black Monday exercise.

6 openings are about an average turnover of head coaches, but it seems that more coaches are being let go before the end of the season than there has been in past years.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:38 pm

Updated..... :o

Current openings as of Jan.10:

Atlanta
Carolina
Seattle
Washington
Las Vegas
Los Angeles Chargers
Tennessee
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:03 pm

Harbaugh picked a good year to win a National Championship. Those are some great coaching positions. I'd like Harbaugh, but I doubt we win the battle for Harbaugh. Too many good spots to land.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:06 am

There are reports out that depending on their performance in the playoffs, that one or two more coaches might have their heads in the guillotine:

Are Nick Sirianni and Mike McCarthy coaching for their jobs in the first round of the NFL playoffs this weekend? Plenty of people around the league believe it’s possible.

The two NFC East coaches, whose Eagles and Cowboys entered the season with sizable expectations, realize that advancing beyond the first round of the playoffs is a fair standard. And in this league, with coaches always dispensable — there are already eight openings in this cycle — failure to meet reasonable goals can come with a steep cost, even for a coach who made a deep playoff run such as Sirianni or racked up impressive regular season stats such as McCarthy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/th ... f915&ei=39

If we think that our fan base was frustrated with Pete, the Eagles natives are foaming at the mouth after finishing the season the way they did, losing 6 of their last 7. If they lose in the first round to Tampa Bay, not widely thought of as being a SB contender, they might let Sirianni go.

And, of course, Mike McCarthy works for that notoriously impatient owner/GM in Jerry Jones. He could be fired even if he makes it to the divisional round.

If Eagles do fire Sirianni go, he will immediately become the hottest property on the coaching market. McCarthy less so.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:47 am

With Belichick available, some teams that were on the fence about their coaching might pull the trigger if they can get him.
There will be/are probably a lot of feelers out there to see if he'd be interested in coaching their team even if they have a HC in place.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum