CFB National Championship Game

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

CFB National Championship Game

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:33 am

Ironically, the best season the Pac 12 has had in decades is going to be their last one. At long last, we FINALLY have a local team in the NC game.

The game kicks off at an unusually early time at 4:30pm PT. It's fine for me as I'm retired and it fits my schedule better than a game that has a later kickoff. But I wonder how many people aren't going to get home early enough to catch the start of the game. But, for those on the east coast, it's probably a better starting time.

As far as the future of CFB goes, they've lost me as a fan with their rich getting richer and poor getting poorer model they've adapted. The combination of the NIL, transfer portal, and the scavenging of the Pac 12 has assured us that the only teams that can compete will be the upper division of the 4 super conferences. Gone are the days where a Boise State, Washington State, or Oregon State could compete for a title.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: CFB National Championship Game

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:28 am

I think that in time it will re-align again when there is too much infighting within the huge divisions and teams think they can make more money on their own.
There's just too much greed for it not to.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:54 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think that in time it will re-align again when there is too much infighting within the huge divisions and teams think they can make more money on their own.
There's just too much greed for it not to.

It all depends on what happens with the entertainment industry. With the advent of internet streaming, it's been in flux the past several years. ESPN/Disney, Fox, and CBS, the big players in CFB, have been losing viewership for several years and aren't going to be able to afford to offer such lucrative deals in the future. Some people speculate that we've seen the last of these huge TV contracts that college conferences have been securing and was the major reason for USC and UCLA bolting the Pac 12, which was what started the domino effect that destroyed the conference. If they en up going to more limited, cherry picking type deals, then we could have another major reshuffling of the deck.

But I don't think it's going to result in the re-constitution of the Pac 12 or a similar resemblance of it, which is one of the major reasons why I personally have gotten so turned off by CFB.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:50 pm

RiverDog wrote:It all depends on what happens with the entertainment industry. With the advent of internet streaming, it's been in flux the past several years. ESPN/Disney, Fox, and CBS, the big players in CFB, have been losing viewership for several years and aren't going to be able to afford to offer such lucrative deals in the future. Some people speculate that we've seen the last of these huge TV contracts that college conferences have been securing and was the major reason for USC and UCLA bolting the Pac 12, which was what started the domino effect that destroyed the conference. If they en up going to more limited, cherry picking type deals, then we could have another major reshuffling of the deck.

But I don't think it's going to result in the re-constitution of the Pac 12 or a similar resemblance of it, which is one of the major reasons why I personally have gotten so turned off by CFB.

I see your point but it is a read and react situation with CFB. The Pac 12 reacted way too late when it came time to negotiate their media rights. Should have partnered with primetime carriers likes FOX or NBC, but instead Larry Scott wanted to showcase his own network which was a failure in his own right. Once USC and UCLA bailed it was the beginning of the end of the PAC 12. Shame on the commissioners for not stepping up and taking action sooner when they saw for the last 5 years teams making moves and receiving better market revenue share.

Pac 12 could have been saved, but instead it became a fire sale
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:55 pm

RiverDog wrote:It all depends on what happens with the entertainment industry. With the advent of internet streaming, it's been in flux the past several years. ESPN/Disney, Fox, and CBS, the big players in CFB, have been losing viewership for several years and aren't going to be able to afford to offer such lucrative deals in the future. Some people speculate that we've seen the last of these huge TV contracts that college conferences have been securing and was the major reason for USC and UCLA bolting the Pac 12, which was what started the domino effect that destroyed the conference. If they en up going to more limited, cherry picking type deals, then we could have another major reshuffling of the deck.

4XPIPS wrote:I see your point but it is a read and react situation with CFB. The Pac 12 reacted way too late when it came time to negotiate their media rights. Should have partnered with primetime carriers likes FOX or NBC, but instead Larry Scott wanted to showcase his own network which was a failure in his own right. Once USC and UCLA bailed it was the beginning of the end of the PAC 12. Shame on the commissioners for not stepping up and taking action sooner when they saw for the last 5 years teams making moves and receiving better market revenue share.

Pac 12 could have been saved, but instead it became a fire sale

You're right about the demise of the Pac-12. Two things: They failed to get Texas and Oklahoma when they had the chance, and as you noted, they created their own network instead of selling the rights to Fox, CBS, NBC, or Disney where the viewing audience would have been much greater. And yes, USC and UCLA leaving pushed over the first domino. Once that happened, it was only a matter of time before the others left.

I don't see them ever reconstituting the Pac 12 because it would take at least 6 legitimate Power teams leaving their conferences all at the same time in order for them to get to just an 8-team conference. But I do think that there could be another round of realignment. For example, Stanford and Cal might want to try to get into the Big 12 just due to the geographical problems with their current conference. But it won't include WSU and OSU. They're screwed, which is a shame because they both have very dedicated fan bases despite their lack of success on the field. There's lots more WSU license plates sold in this state than there are UW plates, and UW has well over twice the alumni.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:11 pm

Two thoughts watching this game:

1. I always like reading Rob Staton over at seahawksdraftblog, even if I don't always agree with him. For a while, he's been critical of Penix because he always talks about how the UW offense keeps Penix cleaner than he'd be in the NFL. I have been higher on Penix than he has because of his quick release, but watching this game I'm coming around to Staton's opinion. Penix hasn't looked good and I don't see the footwork and pocket presence to succeed in the pros. I know it's only one game, but it's the only game where I've seen him harassed like this and he's not passing the test. Maybe it's an overreaction, and I may revise my opinion later, but right now I wouldn't take him in the 1st, and with his injury history I wouldn't take him in the 2nd, either.

2. Rosengarten (RT #73) is having a rough, rough game. I was seeing some indications he'd declare early for the draft after a good season. This game may be hurting his draft stock enough to re-think that.
Last edited by Oly on Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:35 pm

My feeling was that the event was too big for Penix. He seriously folded and then got hurt.

Do not draft him.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum