Carroll out as HC

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Carroll out as HC

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:20 pm

According to Schefter he’s been offered to stay on in some manner.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: Carroll out as HC

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:24 pm

You beat me to it. I just had a friend text me:

Seahawks reportedly fire longtime head coach Pete Carroll in shocking move

https://sports.yahoo.com/seahawks-repor ... 25802.html

I can't post the quote, but what I read says that he's going to remain as an advisor, code for a corner desk in the basement.
Last edited by RiverDog on Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:26 pm

curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:29 pm

It depends upon how much power this new position holds.
If he’s still running the show behind the scenes but not coaching day to day then it won’t mean much but if it’s only about culture then it could work well.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:30 pm

Hopefully a thorough house cleaning follows. Harbaugh time?…….
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:33 pm

curmudgeon wrote:Hopefully a thorough house cleaning follows. Harbaugh time?…….

I’d like to think that they’d take a run at him, but his best team would probably be the Chargers with Herbert at QB.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:36 pm

A little more 'possible' information -- Tom Pelesario via "The Hurd" on Fox reports that Pete has been offered a job to "move up" to a advisory level management position as he is under contract to the team for x number of years.

Call #1: Jim Harbaugh
Call #2: ex Cowboys HC - Jason Garrett.
Any other call -- OFFENSIVE COACH -- not another defensive wiz...
and along with Pete, release our not-so-perfect GM who decides to draft backup RB's in the 2nd round and trade another 3rd rounder for 'the future'. huh? Remember Chris Carson?
...and of course bye-bye to Clint Hurt and the other Defensive interior staff. We are #32 D. What an embarrassment.,

I actually had this predicted (yeah, my crystal ball was right once) a month ago. I'm shocked that someone in management had the biggest pair of kahunas in Seahawks history that they stood up to Pete, the God and told him it was time to move on (or up) a week after Pete declared he was coming back as coach.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:04 pm

The fact that he will have his fingerprints on this organization is quite silly to be honest. Jody you have loads of cash afforded to you, do the right thing and the only thing and buy out his contract and let him go into broadcasting or something else. The fact that he has held VP of Football operations and HC duties for so long and wanted to stay and coach showed he wasn't willing to let go of any his duties. The fact you are keeping Pete on as "advisor" suggest he still fought hard to stay with the organization.

The new reality is how far does this "advisor role" stretch? Does that include him selecting a new HC? I certainly hope not.

Does that mean he will be involved in recruiting? I hope not as well

For all those clamoring for Harbaugh, this will not be a reality. Can you imagine the ego clash between Pete and Jim Harbaugh with in the same organization?

This makes no sense, and this is probably the inexperience of a NFL in Jody to try and do the right thing by scaling back Pete's role, but seriously keeping him on is still a gut punch to the organization that desperately needs an overhaul.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:20 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:A little more 'possible' information -- Tom Pelesario via "The Hurd" on Fox reports that Pete has been offered a job to "move up" to a advisory level management position as he is under contract to the team for x number of years.

Also reading that's the deal. He was guaranteed through 2024. Not sure if this has any bearing on 2025 and beyond.

jshawaii22 wrote:Call #1: Jim Harbaugh
Call #2: ex Cowboys HC - Jason Garrett.

Reasonable. Lot of openings, and, therefore, a lot of competition.

jshawaii22 wrote:Any other call -- OFFENSIVE COACH -- not another defensive wiz...
and along with Pete, release our not-so-perfect GM who decides to draft backup RB's in the 2nd round and trade another 3rd rounder for 'the future'. huh? Remember Chris Carson?
...and of course bye-bye to Clint Hurt and the other Defensive interior staff. We are #32 D. What an embarrassment.,

You're referring to Walker III and Charbonnet? Walker isn't a backup, and Charbonnet is only rookie who's shown a lot of promise in his first season. What 3rd rounder are you talking about? What about Chris Carson? No guarantee a 7th rounder sees the field in a meaningful way like Carson did.

Defensive staff getting an overhaul is expected.

jshawaii22 wrote:I actually had this predicted (yeah, my crystal ball was right once) a month ago. I'm shocked that someone in management had the biggest pair of kahunas in Seahawks history that they stood up to Pete, the God and told him it was time to move on (or up) a week after Pete declared he was coming back as coach.

You predicted Carroll was going to be "moved up" out of coaching or that he just wouldn't be the head coach? The move on from Carroll train has been around a while. This all sounds very heavy and dramatic. He's never been God-like and only said, in true Pete fashion, that he expected to be back, at this point. That's hardly definitive. I would guess the Russell Wilson trade gave Carroll a bit of a reprieve and some time to get the team moving in the right direction again with a bevy of draft capital. I think the consistently poor tackling, inept run defense and numerous and untimely penalties on defense that persisted and got worse since last season showed he couldn't quite get it there. The talent on the team should have been able to do better than it showed. None of this happened overnight. I'd bet there has been on-going dialogue between ownership and Carroll regarding the future of the team and his being head coach.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:28 pm

4XPIPS wrote:The fact that he will have his fingerprints on this organization is quite silly to be honest. Jody you have loads of cash afforded to you, do the right thing and the only thing and buy out his contract and let him go into broadcasting or something else. The fact that he has held VP of Football operations and HC duties for so long and wanted to stay and coach showed he wasn't willing to let go of any his duties. The fact you are keeping Pete on as "advisor" suggest he still fought hard to stay with the organization.

The new reality is how far does this "advisor role" stretch? Does that include him selecting a new HC? I certainly hope not.

Does that mean he will be involved in recruiting? I hope not as well

For all those clamoring for Harbaugh, this will not be a reality. Can you imagine the ego clash between Pete and Jim Harbaugh with in the same organization?

This makes no sense, and this is probably the inexperience of a NFL in Jody to try and do the right thing by scaling back Pete's role, but seriously keeping him on is still a gut punch to the organization that desperately needs an overhaul.

Or we can acknowledge that we have zero real information about how it went down and how it's going to go from here. No point in worrying about it. It could be as simple as letting him have a cushy front office job in last year of his contract before he hangs it up for good. Like it or not, he's the winningest head coach in Seahawks history and the only one to bring home a super bowl. it doesn't surprise me they didn't force him out.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:38 pm

Now bring in Vrabel! I think he and Pete and would work great together. He or Dan Quinn.

Just say NO to Hairball!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:52 pm

Wow. This is surprising.

Thanks for all the great years, Pete. You are my favorite Seattle coach. Time to relax a bit and enjoy life. You did football great for decades and finally put it all together for our first Super Bowl. I will be forever grateful for the amazing Legion of Boom years.

I want Harbaugh. I like results and intensity. I know a lot of teams are going to try for Harbaugh and we might not be the most attractive, but we'll see.

It is interesting for the first time in over a decade, we will have a new coach.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:26 pm

I think Bienemy is worth a solid look. He’s a bit of a task master and detail oriented so that discipline would be welcome.
Have him hire Don Martindale and let him run the Defense. A big change, but something quite different.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:28 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:
Or we can acknowledge that we have zero real information about how it went down and how it's going to go from here. No point in worrying about it. It could be as simple as letting him have a cushy front office job in last year of his contract before he hangs it up for good. Like it or not, he's the winningest head coach in Seahawks history and the only one to bring home a super bowl. it doesn't surprise me they didn't force him out.

Of course we don't have facts, and most of post our own speculations and thoughts. No one knows what his real role as an "advisor" is and this why I said "I hope"

I do appreciate the time he spent here as a coach, but just less than 4 days ago he made it very clear that he wants to still coach and planned to coach the 2024-2025 season. He is a player's coach, and loves the locker room and sideline hype. To think he is just going to get the corner office with a nice view is quite silly be honest. I am not putting words in your mouth, but in speaking in general it makes no sense what so ever to keep him on in any role at all.

Pete has been in this league for quite some time with obvious success and yes some recent short comings. His tree of coaching does spread out quite a bit in this league, and there are multiple coaches and coordinators and assistants that have worked under Pete, and to think if he still has a role in this organization it may inhibit hiring a coordinator or prior head coach because word gets' around in this league of what kind of guy Pete is. I don't think he is hated by any means, but he can rub people the wrong way sometimes.

If the hawks are looking to make a change, it would have been best to cut all ties with Pete and send him on his merry way, and start fresh with no distractions.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:43 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Of course we don't have facts, and most of post our own speculations and thoughts. No one knows what his real role as an "advisor" is and this why I said "I hope"

I do appreciate the time he spent here as a coach, but just less than 4 days ago he made it very clear that he wants to still coach and planned to coach the 2024-2025 season. He is a player's coach, and loves the locker room and sideline hype. To think he is just going to get the corner office with a nice view is quite silly be honest. I am not putting words in your mouth, but in speaking in general it makes no sense what so ever to keep him on in any role at all.

Pete has been in this league for quite some time with obvious success and yes some recent short comings. His tree of coaching does spread out quite a bit in this league, and there are multiple coaches and coordinators and assistants that have worked under Pete, and to think if he still has a role in this organization it may inhibit hiring a coordinator or prior head coach because word gets' around in this league of what kind of guy Pete is. I don't think he is hated by any means, but he can rub people the wrong way sometimes.

If the hawks are looking to make a change, it would have been best to cut all ties with Pete and send him on his merry way, and start fresh with no distractions.

So, the decision is only hours old, and it's already not good enough/less than ideal/wrong. I am not going to worry about it one way or another. You are assuming a lot of things, which is equally silly, as you put it, for you to do when you have no idea what is best for the organization. It's rather chicken little to assume it's already a bad decision.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:59 pm

Pete said in his Press Conference that it’s John’s role for personnel decisions including players. He will be there to support John.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:05 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:So, the decision is only hours old, and it's already not good enough/less than ideal/wrong. I am not going to worry about it one way or another. You are assuming a lot of things, which is equally silly, as you put it, for you to do when you have no idea what is best for the organization. It's rather chicken little to assume it's already a bad decision.

Yes we can judge decisions made based on how we feel. You can love this decision, and doesn't make me think less of you or anyone. I have had disagreements with Aseahakwfan on scheme vs superior talents, but doesn't make me think less of him and does it hurt my feelings if he hates my position on scheme. I am just taking a stance this is silly to keep him on. Of course we are assuming things, that is what a forum is built on, a vessel to express our opinions and thoughts. I respect that you disagree with me, and think it's silly that keeping Pete on as an advisory role with the team.

Name one time in the history of any sport where a tenured coach like Pete was removed from his position and kept on as an "advisor" to the team when he clearly stated 4 days ago he plans to coach this team. His statement is a fact, not speculation.

He didn't pull a Jason Kidd after loss the NBA Championship to the Spurs when Jason Kidd on live TV when asked about his future. Jason Kidd was asked about his future and his response was truthful and honest and he said" I can't say right now what my future holds"

Pete was asked about his future, and he responded that he plans to coach. Fast forward to today and he has been reduced to an "advisor" role. So when has that happened in the past? The only that comes close is may Pat Riley with Heat, but he choose to step down, and then return to coaching. The Heat organization never forced Riley to step down.

So back to the point I am making this is clearly an unorthodox move for any sports franchise to terminate someone's position, but them keep them on. Of course I don't know what this new role will come with, but being he had final say over the GM, I would only assume he still have some say on personnel decisions and team operations. Of course I could be dead wrong.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:39 pm

I think this was a nice way of allowing Pete to step down. I don't think he'll stay around very long as you don't want the old head coach questioning the new head coach. That is a bad power dynamic to have bringing in a new head coach regime.

This was likely something that ownership felt had to be done, but at the same time done in a way that isn't cold and indifferent. Pete brought a lot of greatness to the Seahawks. Sometimes guys like Pete don't know how to stop competing and step down, so you have to create the means to allow them to do it that aren't like what he dealt with in New England or New York.

Pete is Seattle's greatest head coach. You have to respect the man's pride and competitiveness while still doing the business of the NFL.

Pete always believed in accountability and this is accountability. At the same time, the man has his pride. You have to let him step down with it.

But not much of a chance he sticks around long. If John stays on as GM and we bring a new head coach other than maybe a Dan Quinn from Pete's tree, they will need full autonomy to make the moves necessary to make the team competitive again.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:10 pm

Yes we can judge decisions made based on how we feel. You can love this decision, and doesn't make me think less of you or anyone. I have had disagreements with Aseahakwfan on scheme vs superior talents, but doesn't make me think less of him and does it hurt my feelings if he hates my position on scheme. I am just taking a stance this is silly to keep him on. Of course we are assuming things, that is what a forum is built on, a vessel to express our opinions and thoughts. I respect that you disagree with me, and think it's silly that keeping Pete on as an advisory role with the team.

I don't love it or hate it. "I'm not worried about it one way or another." were my words. I do disagree, but it's neutral. It's perfectly understandable to me that they would keep him in some role in the front office after the career he's had there when he has one year left on his contract. If Pete wasn't up for that, then he'd've just walked away (I assume). Perhaps you're not saying it's silly to not take issue with his staying, but him staying is.

Name one time in the history of any sport where a tenured coach like Pete was removed from his position and kept on as an "advisor" to the team when he clearly stated 4 days ago he plans to coach this team. His statement is a fact, not speculation.

I can't say any off the top of my head, but a quick look showed Arians retired and moved into a front office consultant role with the Bucs and Dwayne Casey moved into the front office for the Pistons. Casey may be the better comparison since he had a decent run but missed the playoffs consistently. They still respected him enough to move him into the front office, though I don't know what his role is. Precedent doesn't really matter to me. The Seahawks front office looked at their situation as it is and made a decision. You, I, and every individual on the planet make decisions all the time based on individual circumstances and not necessarily precedent. I didn't call his statement speculation, but I included all of the statement. Pete said "at this point." That was more than enough tell me nothing was set in stone, and he didn't expect it to be. Pete's used that kind of language his whole career and has always made it difficult to pin down exactly what's happening until it happens. Where it went from there was anybody's guess. It doesn't give me any reason to be concerned.

Pete was asked about his future, and he responded that he plans to coach. Fast forward to today and he has been reduced to an "advisor" role. So when has that happened in the past? The only that comes close is may Pat Riley with Heat, but he choose to step down, and then return to coaching. The Heat organization never forced Riley to step down.

See above.

o back to the point I am making this is clearly an unorthodox move for any sports franchise to terminate someone's position, but them keep them on. Of course I don't know what this new role will come with, but being he had final say over the GM, I would only assume he still have some say on personnel decisions and team operations. Of course I could be dead wrong.

You may also end up being right, but my money is on otherwise. Either way, there's too many unknowns to know what will be what.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:18 pm

Looks like all assistant coaches have been told they are free to look elsewhere for jobs. Not surprising at all, new coach will obviously want to fill out his staff himself.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/1/10/24033455/report-seattle-seahawks-assistant-coaches-free-to-look-elsewhere-for-jobs-clint-hurtt-shane-waldron
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:27 pm

4XPIPS wrote:If the hawks are looking to make a change, it would have been best to cut all ties with Pete and send him on his merry way, and start fresh with no distractions.

They pretty much have. Pete will be nothing more than a figure head, stuffed in the corner of the basement. He's an advisor, which by definition means no real authority. He's still a great football mind and an excellent resource for his replacement.

It was the decent thing to do, both for Pete and our organization. You don't want to tell someone who has given us so much and put his heart and soul into his job like Pete has to "Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!" I give our ownership an A+ for the way they handled a very delicate situation.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:06 pm

What does not sit well with me is that Pete made it clear he wanted to keep coaching, and plans to coach this team, not any team, this team. Many coaches who have parted ways, or were on the chopping block have said publicly before parting ways that they want to continue to keep coaching.

Had he came out and said "I will take a hard look at what I have left and see what the future holds. I would love to keep competing and I love to coach, but we shall what the future holds" or something like this it would have then been a more acceptable outcome to where we are now.

Even Jim Harbaugh has been non-committal to his future, and we all know Jim Harbaugh will be coaching next year whether it be at Michigan or in the NFL. So being non-committal isn't a bad position as it means you are weighing your options.

Anyways, we shall see what next year holds for us. I don't think we are getting Jim Harbaugh, especially with Pete still in the building. I know we are preaching offense, but I still vote for Mike McDonald. What he is doing with the Ravens defense, whom don't have a superior talent at one single position, but collectively run an excellent scheme and are kicking the crap out of these "basketball on grass" type offense. I would love to go back to a dominating defense and a ball control run first offense and bring back a defense that creates fear in opposing offenses.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby trents » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:16 pm

Yeah, I don't think Pete took the news graciously as one likely would have who was actually expecting to be canned. I think he really believed he would be back next year and was caught by surprise. But wow, kind of a bombshell! I don't think any of us really expected this even though many of us wanted it to happen. What will we complain about now?
trents
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:40 pm

For me, this is a cause for celebration. Both for the hopes for the future, but also for the chance to appreciate what Pete has meant to us. The advisor role is a nice touch.

Harbaugh is a great coach and a winner, and he will not be the next Seahawks head coach. He would want complete control, and John S has finally the chance to do his job without interference. Advice is not interference.

The next coach? My preference would be a young offensive coach with a strong recent history of developing players and schemes. Maybe someone relatively unknown to the general fan. And, please, no more of: "let's bring back so-amd-so who was a great Seahawk".
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby trents » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:29 pm

Yes, I'm all for a young coach as well. What a day! Nick Saban retired as well. That was a shocker too!
trents
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:33 am

Old but Slow wrote:And, please, no more of: "let's bring back so-amd-so who was a great Seahawk".

10-4 about that. I remember people wanting to bring in Jim Zorn due simply because he was a "great Seahawk".

Which brings up another topic. Very seldom does a great player make a great coach. They tend to be perfectionists with very little patience, can't identify with a player with marginal talent and coach them up. Many of the most successful coaches, including Pete, didn't have any NFL playing experience at all.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:59 pm

I can't watch the press conference yet. I still feel verklempt about Pete leaving. Logically I know it was time, but emotionally I still want him to be here. He gave me everything I wanted and more. I wish he could have rebuilt some semblance of that team from his first five years. It was such magic.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:16 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I can't watch the press conference yet. I still feel verklempt about Pete leaving. Logically I know it was time, but emotionally I still want him to be here. He gave me everything I wanted and more. I wish he could have rebuilt some semblance of that team from his first five years. It was such magic.

Had to look up "verklempt"; appreciate the new word. By it's definition, so was Pete in his press conference. All class and a lot of love and support for JS, the coaching staff (whether they get to stay or not), and the players moving forward.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:52 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I can't watch the press conference yet. I still feel verklempt about Pete leaving. Logically I know it was time, but emotionally I still want him to be here. He gave me everything I wanted and more. I wish he could have rebuilt some semblance of that team from his first five years. It was such magic.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I feel exactly as you do, that I don't like seeing someone who truly gave it his all, as much as an optimist as he was, as truly genuine of a nice guy that he was, get canned in the way he did. It was a pretty cruel way to treat the man who has given us the best period of Seahawk football in franchise history, and I truly feel bad for the way we treated him.

But on the other hand, I feel that the man was arrogant and delusional, always thinking that our team and his ability as a coach was much better than reality, that he was delusional. He's 72 years old and should have recognized that the time had come to step aside and let the younger generation take over. He hung on just a little too long and got what he deserved.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:13 pm

Got what he deserved and this being the inevitable outcome are two different things. It’s not like the man was actively seeking to hurt the team and organization.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:06 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Got what he deserved and this being the inevitable outcome are two different things. It’s not like the man was actively seeking to hurt the team and organization.

Of course, he wasn't actively trying to hurt the team. I never said that he was.

The reason why I said that Pete got what he deserved is because IMO he was/is delusional, thought that his coaching ability and the quality of his teams were better than what they actually were. He deserved to be put in his place. His teams performed below expectations and his firing was justified.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:24 pm

I watched it and it made me feel like he was a good friend who is moving across the country and I know I won’t see much of him anymore. A little bittersweet in that it had to be done for the betterment of the team long term.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:28 pm

RiverDog wrote:Of course, he wasn't actively trying to hurt the team. I never said that he was.

The reason why I said that Pete got what he deserved is because IMO he was/is delusional, thought that his coaching ability and the quality of his teams were better than what they actually were. He deserved to be put in his place. His teams performed below expectations and his firing was justified.

Arrogant, delusional, and deserved are heavy-handed words for a guy who was nothing but class in his presser; the guy loved the team and the players. Yeah, something wasn't working anymore. I've mentioned it multiple times; I can't imagine that the issues with tackling and penalties and poor run defense are things that are being coached. I don't know what the disconnect was between coaching during the week and execution on the field. Maybe that gets fixed now.

I don't get all the negativity being directed towards the whole affair. This kind of attitude just makes me want to have several bad years. Then we'll really have something to be negative about.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:29 pm

RiverDog wrote:Of course, he wasn't actively trying to hurt the team. I never said that he was.

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Arrogant, delusional, and deserved are heavy-handed words for a guy who was nothing but class in his presser; the guy loved the team and the players. Yeah, something wasn't working anymore. I've mentioned it multiple times; I can't imagine that the issues with tackling and penalties and poor run defense are things that are being coached. I don't know what the disconnect was between coaching during the week and execution on the field. Maybe that gets fixed now.

I don't get all the negativity being directed towards the whole affair. This kind of attitude just makes me want to have several bad years. Then we'll really have something to be negative about.

Like I said, I have mixed emotions, and one side of those emotions is exactly as you described as being how you feel. Pete was/is a class act and didn't deserve to be ushered out in the manner he was, demoted to a corner office in the basement. I'm also personally indebted to him for his giving me some of the best times of my life as I'm an avid Seahawk fan and have attended numerous games in person, including 12 road games.

What you've quoted me in is the other side of my emotions, the more practical, cold-hearted POV. Pete overstayed his welcome, and like a guest at a dinner party that refuses to leave when it's time, had to be ushered out the door. Most other people would have gotten the hint. So, in that sense, he deserved to be relegated to the basement corner office. That's only one side of how I feel, so please don't portray me as if it encompasses my complete sentiments.

With regards to your last sentence, I was/am the exact opposite. Over the course of the past couple of seasons, there were times that I felt myself hoping that we'd do a complete belly flop and go something like 3-14, that this perpetual .500ish teams that weren't good enough to compete for a SB but not bad enough to blow up the team and start over, and that the only way to get off the treadmill was to fall off and do a face plant. I felt guilty, hid my true feelings, pretended to care. Now, I feel rejuvenated, like I'm born again.

There's obviously a fair chance that this thing could go way south and we end up being much worse, a Browns or Lions type of worse where we end up changing coaches and doing a complete re-set every 3-4 years for the next couple of decades. It's a risk I'm willing to take.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:28 pm

This has the sound of sour grapes to it, that Pete's complaining because it wasn't football people that made the decision to fire him:

Pete appears to be taking a shot at the owner and maybe another person or two involved in the decision to remove him from his HC position:

The challenge in making his case to ownership, according to Carroll, was that "they're not football people."

Carroll shared details of his end-of-season meetings with Allen when he appeared on Seattle Sports 710-AM for the final installment of his weekly radio show. He said the first objective was to get to the bottom of what happened this past season as the Seahawks finished 9-8 and missed the playoffs for the second time in three years.

"And then, OK, what is the essence of the adjustments that are necessary?" Carroll said in a conversation that aired Friday. "That's where maybe we don't see eye to eye on, because I see it one way and I think I've got a way to fix it and I'm not going to kind of halfway fix it; I'm trying to fix it so it's perfect. I've got real precise and specific thoughts and they may not see if that way, they may not agree with it, they may not see that that's the right answer or that's not the answer that makes them feel good.

The difficult part is, if you guys could know, it's really hard because they're not football people. They're not coaches, and so to get to the real details of it is really difficult for other people."

"Every year it feels like that, that you're going to be challenged by opinions that are kind of media opinions, because what else do people have when you're outside of the game?" he said. "How could you know other than what you guys talk about on the radios and what the articles say and what the pundits are drawing conclusions on? That's why you have to go in realizing that that's what you're dealing with and then try to talk through to get to the essence of stuff. That's always going to be a challenge because when you don't have legitimate dyed-in-the-wool football people calling the shots, then you have to try to make sense of it, just like we try to make sense of it for your audience, it's no different."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/392 ... cided-fate

He didn't mention that it wasn't football people who hired him in the first place.

Unfortunately, the situation that Pete alluded to plays itself out in real life all the time, trying to explain problems about a business or activity to people that don't have nearly as intimate of knowledge about it as you have.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:47 pm

Pete ain't the type of guy to admit mistakes or that he isn't getting it done. I rarely seen any guys at his level of competition that do. Pete's hypercompetitive and always believes things will turn. Which is why the owner has to step in when they see things going down the wrong path with the HC or GM. They will never self censure and say, "I can't get it done any more. Time for me to go." It's part of the process.

As far as being delusional, you have to delude yourself into thinking you're good enough to compete for a Super Bowl or you wont' maintain the confidence and energy to keep pushing. That level of competition always involves some self-delusion.

Similar thing happened with Holmgren where ownership gave permission to Ruskell to push Holmgren out. Holmgren wasn't ready to quit. Guys at that level have a hard time stopping. Even when things aren't going well, they just want to get back out there and get back to it until they win again.

I'm sure Pete feels a bit angry. He wanted to take the guy she drafted and rebuild it. He couldn't see it wasn't working. He was making too many mistakes. Accountability for his failures had to be enacted. He had been given the chance to change coordinators, trade the franchise QB, control over the draft and operations, and given a long rope to get things rebuilt. He didn't get it done. So accountability was enacted by the ownership. It's part of the process.

No way Pete ever admits that. Just not his nature or really of any head coach I've ever seen.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:25 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Pete ain't the type of guy to admit mistakes or that he isn't getting it done. I rarely seen any guys at his level of competition that do. Pete's hypercompetitive and always believes things will turn. Which is why the owner has to step in when they see things going down the wrong path with the HC or GM. They will never self censure and say, "I can't get it done any more. Time for me to go." It's part of the process.

As far as being delusional, you have to delude yourself into thinking you're good enough to compete for a Super Bowl or you wont' maintain the confidence and energy to keep pushing. That level of competition always involves some self-delusion.

Similar thing happened with Holmgren where ownership gave permission to Ruskell to push Holmgren out. Holmgren wasn't ready to quit. Guys at that level have a hard time stopping. Even when things aren't going well, they just want to get back out there and get back to it until they win again.

I'm sure Pete feels a bit angry. He wanted to take the guy she drafted and rebuild it. He couldn't see it wasn't working. He was making too many mistakes. Accountability for his failures had to be enacted. He had been given the chance to change coordinators, trade the franchise QB, control over the draft and operations, and given a long rope to get things rebuilt. He didn't get it done. So accountability was enacted by the ownership. It's part of the process.

No way Pete ever admits that. Just not his nature or really of any head coach I've ever seen.

I agree completely.

But the problem is that those types of guys set themselves up for a very hard landing, a cold slap in the face when reality finally sets in as it did earlier this week. That's why I said that there's a part of me that doesn't feel sorry for Pete in getting relegated to the corner office in the basement. Had he been more self-reflective, he would have sensed that it was time and walked away and not had to deal with the meeting with the non-football people.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:42 pm

RiverDog wrote:I agree completely.

But the problem is that those types of guys set themselves up for a very hard landing, a cold slap in the face when reality finally sets in as it did earlier this week. That's why I said that there's a part of me that doesn't feel sorry for Pete in getting relegated to the corner office in the basement. Had he been more self-reflective, he would have sensed that it was time and walked away and not had to deal with the meeting with the non-football people.

They do set themselves for a hard reality. But they are so competitive, they want to get out there again. If someone wants Pete and still wants to coach, he'll go there. He gave us Seattle fans a great ride. Maybe going to a new place where he isn't attached to the players or so close to the GM will bring back his cold, calculating eye back and he can rebuild the way he does it best: with no real attachment or preconceived notions with a completely fresh start.

Hard to believe we lost Carroll, Bill B, and Saban all in the same year. Three of the most dominant coaches of their time. Pete competed against both of them at the pro and college level. And but for one bad call, he would have likely beat Bill B in that second Super Bowl. To me that was the downfall of Carroll set in motion all those years ago.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:16 pm

RiverDog wrote:I agree completely.

Aseahawkfan wrote:They do set themselves for a hard reality. But they are so competitive, they want to get out there again. If someone wants Pete and still wants to coach, he'll go there. He gave us Seattle fans a great ride. Maybe going to a new place where he isn't attached to the players or so close to the GM will bring back his cold, calculating eye back and he can rebuild the way he does it best: with no real attachment or preconceived notions with a completely fresh start.

Hard to believe we lost Carroll, Bill B, and Saban all in the same year. Three of the most dominant coaches of their time. Pete competed against both of them at the pro and college level. And but for one bad call, he would have likely beat Bill B in that second Super Bowl. To me that was the downfall of Carroll set in motion all those years ago.

We lost all 3, ie Belichick, Carroll, and Saban, within the same week. And you should amend your sentence about Pete to say "but for one play call". Unlike XL, the refs had nothing to do with our loss in SB 49.

I agree that one play, the infamous pick at the 2 yard line in SB 49, set the stage for what followed. I said moments after it happened that it would be a bigger challenge for Pete to hold the team together after that debacle than it was to build the team in the first place. When the defense started that fight on the next play, you could just see it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:16 pm

We haven't talked about it, but is anyone else surprised that Jodi is keeping JS as GM? I read that Pete had given him control of the draft and trades over the last 2 years... well... are we satisfied with how it went, especially this last year? I'm not. And I hear he's leading the team to search for the new coach, too. Lets hope he knows what he's doing. He's never hired a head coach before. Trouble is, he should be gone, too.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum