Carroll out as HC

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Carroll out as HC

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:02 am

jshawaii22 wrote:We haven't talked about it, but is anyone else surprised that Jodi is keeping JS as GM? I read that Pete had given him control of the draft and trades over the last 2 years... well... are we satisfied with how it went, especially this last year? I'm not. And I hear he's leading the team to search for the new coach, too. Lets hope he knows what he's doing. He's never hired a head coach before. Trouble is, he should be gone, too.

I wasn't surprised, nor am I upset. After we hire a HC, the #1 priority has to be finding our QBOTF, and I trust JS at least in that one area of expertise.

Where did you hear that Pete had given JS control of the draft the past two years? That's news to me.

As far as my being satisfied with the results, I'm luke warm about the past two drafts. I don't like that we keep dedicating resources to the skill positions at the expense of not improving the interior OL and the DL. But we hit it out of the park when we passed on Jalen Carter and instead drafted Witherspoon.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:43 am

RiverDog wrote:We lost all 3, ie Belichick, Carroll, and Saban, within the same week. And you should amend your sentence about Pete to say "but for one play call". Unlike XL, the refs had nothing to do with our loss in SB 49.

I agree that one play, the infamous pick at the 2 yard line in SB 49, set the stage for what followed. I said moments after it happened that it would be a bigger challenge for Pete to hold the team together after that debacle than it was to build the team in the first place. When the defense started that fight on the next play, you could just see it.

I said nothing about refs. A play call is a play called by the OC or HC. That play call was terrible by the OC and signed off on by the head coach. Terrible play call. We discussed this a thousand times on these boards.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:47 am

jshawaii22 wrote:We haven't talked about it, but is anyone else surprised that Jodi is keeping JS as GM? I read that Pete had given him control of the draft and trades over the last 2 years... well... are we satisfied with how it went, especially this last year? I'm not. And I hear he's leading the team to search for the new coach, too. Lets hope he knows what he's doing. He's never hired a head coach before. Trouble is, he should be gone, too.

I don't know. I'm willing to give JS a chance to see what he can do absent Pete.

Pete had final say for years on the draft. We have no idea what JS wanted. We'll see his personal philosophy now.

Maybe JS sucks, but who knows given Pete had the contractual power for final say on drafts and personnel including trades. Let's face it, the trades were some of the worst moves.

As much as I like Pete, I don't think John wanted to make the trades. I think Pete pushed those trades and had shiny toy disease where he saw some shiny toys and traded to get them overpaying for players.

JS comes from Green Bay. You don't see Green Bay making trades like we were making. GMs in general hate giving up picks for players, especially 1st and 2nd round picks. I think Pete pushed those trades. I hope we don't see them any more.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:44 am

The prevailing thought from what I hear and read is Dan Quinn is their target. It might be why there is so little information of who they want to interview, however they have to satisfy the Rooney Rule so some other interviews have to take place.
I would still prefer an Offensive HC over a Defensive one even though the Defense needs work. That's because the HC can hire a good Defensive coach to run the Defense as long as the HC doesn't meddle in what or how they scheme.
Defensive HCs tend to be somewhat conservative on Offense like we saw with Pete and since we will be getting a younger QB in the next couple of years, we need someone who will develop all facets of Quarterbacking and not just the safe ones.
Today's rules permit the Offense to do more things than ever, and we need to take advantage of that to let our skilled players fulfill their potential.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:09 am

I finally sat down last night and watched Pete's presser from Wednesday. Wow, it was definitely emotional for him and he had alot to say. Thought he handled it very well and with class even though he made the point right away that he competed to coach again and if it were up to him he would still be coaching. He was so gracious for Schneider getting his chance and I thought made it clear that was the #1 reason he agreed to go with what their vision was, to give JS his chance to run a team himself.

Was quite the answer he had on the follow up question he got about how the league could celebrate the players more and how it seemed to fall on deaf ears at the league meetings.

Watching that really hit home that he is not the coach anymore and how much passion and love he brough the Seattle Seahawks, and the culture he instituted with JS is real. It made me appreciate him even more. I couldn't help but think maybe this guy should get another crack at it. Yet deep within me, this move feels right, the timing seems right, and it is time for this franchise to move forward with a new vision while still keeping the culture and values Pete instilled and carry those forward.

I'll tell ya one more thing, as soon as the Presser ended, I went straight to my DVR and re-watched the entire NFC Championship game in January 2014 against the 49ers (my personal choice for best Seahawks game ever, I still get nervous watching it), poured myself a rum or two, and sat back and enjoyed a game from the Super Bowl season.

If ya haven't watched the presser yet, definitely at some point do it. All Seahawks fans should watch that.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:31 am

I see where we'll be asking permission to talk to the Raven's Mike McDonald and the Cowboy's Dan Quinn, two defensive guys. However, I can't find a link.

Requests to be made to interview Quinn and Macdonald per Rappaport
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:43 am

RiverDog wrote:I see where we'll be asking permission to talk to the Raven's Mike McDonald and the Cowboy's Dan Quinn, two defensive guys. However, I can't find a link.

Here ya go Riv....and excellent news, I trumpeted for Mike Macdonald earlier in a thread.

https://nfltraderumors.co/dan-quinn-mike-macdonald-expected-to-be-among-candidates-for-seahawks-hc-job/
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:51 am

RiverDog wrote:I see where we'll be asking permission to talk to the Raven's Mike McDonald and the Cowboy's Dan Quinn, two defensive guys. However, I can't find a link.

Agent 86 wrote:Here ya go Riv....and excellent news, I trumpeted for Mike Macdonald earlier in a thread.

https://nfltraderumors.co/dan-quinn-mike-macdonald-expected-to-be-among-candidates-for-seahawks-hc-job/

Thanks, 86! I'm not sure why I couldn't come up with a link. I saw it flash across the screen as I was testing out a new TV location in the house.

I wouldn't be bummed if we took one of those guys, but I have my heart set on a young OC.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:40 pm

McDonald would be interesting because he doesn’t run basically the same Defense of Quinn and LoB Pete Carroll.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:00 pm

NorthHawk wrote:McDonald would be interesting because he doesn’t run basically the same Defense of Quinn and LoB Pete Carroll.

What does he run?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:01 am

That press conference was a tough watch. Made me want to see the decision reversed. But it was time, even by Pete's own standards. Tell the Truth Monday, Accountability and performance.

But boy, it was a hell of a run. For about five years we were one of the best teams in the league. Our defense was one the all time great defenses up there with the Steel Curtain or the Purple People Eaters or Baltimore's great defenses. Just a great time for Seahawks football. Going to be hard to match what he did.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:25 am

I am curious what Pete is doing nowadays? Have not heard a peep. Rumors about him going to Niners, etc...or maybe fishing with Marshawn.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:07 pm

Uppercut wrote:I am curious what Pete is doing nowadays? Have not heard a peep. Rumors about him going to Niners, etc...or maybe fishing with Marshawn.

IMO the 'rumors' of Pete going to the Niners is nothing but pure speculation by the media to drive up interest in their articles. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell of Pete going to some other team and play 2nd fiddle to someone else like Shanahan. Besides, he's still under contract with us, and if we do let him out from underneath it, it sure as hell isn't going to be the Niners. It would be a PR disaster not to mention all the intelligence the Niners could glean from him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:55 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Similar thing happened with Holmgren where ownership gave permission to Ruskell to push Holmgren out. Holmgren wasn't ready to quit.

Inside info says JS was behind the removal, so yeah similar.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:45 pm

These removals and trades are complex decisions. I imagine JS had input with Jody and I'm sure Jody had advisers or an adviser giving her advice on how to move forward. Bottom line is Pete is gone because of Pete. He did not turn the team around even with everything under his control from trades to personnel signed to coaches to coaching and on and off field management. Pete failed and was removed for his own failure based on lack of results. If Pete were winning and the team moving in the right direction he would still be here.

One reason we all love sports is it is a results oriented business with the basic result of win or get lost. When you're winning, everything is roses, everyone loves you, and the world is your oyster. When you're losing, everyone is a critic, rumors get made up about you, and people keep looking for reasons other than simply not performing well on the field or as a team or as a coach. I always go with the simplest answer: Pete failed to get the desire result and ownership finally had enough.

Time for a change.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:23 am

Well said, Asea.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum