Who would you want as head coach?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Who would you want as head coach?

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:03 am

I think they would let him go any time he wanted. How bad would it look if he got an offer but Seattle wouldn't let him go? Not going to happen and since it would be an upgrade from his current position they might not be able to stop it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:05 am

I heard someone on the Radio (maybe Ian Furness but I could be mistaken) say the Schneider had been looking at coaching candidates for a couple of months so he must have been in the loop.
And since there aren't many interviews in place yet, what could that mean? The statement that was made also said something like looking at all candidates before a decision, so who knows what's in the cards.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:23 am

NorthHawk wrote:I heard someone on the Radio (maybe Ian Furness but I could be mistaken) say the Schneider had been looking at coaching candidates for a couple of months so he must have been in the loop.

And since there aren't many interviews in place yet, what could that mean? The statement that was made also said something like looking at all candidates before a decision, so who knows what's in the cards.

IMO it doesn't necessarily mean that Scheider was in the loop. It might have been nothing more than due diligence, contingency planning. He did it when he scouted quarterbacks like Mahomes and Allen even though they had Russell under contract. He had a 72 year old HC who could resign any moment and rumors flying that Pete's job was at stake. Any good businessman does the same thing, plans for the unexpected so they don't get caught flat footed.

One thing that we can be pretty sure about is that Pete won't be involved in the coaching search or any other momentous decisions that are to be made. He said so directly on Wednesday:

The search for the next Seattle Seahawks head coach is underway, and unlike Mike Holmgren, Pete Carroll will not have a handpicked successor.

At Wednesday’s emotional press conference, former coach Pete Carroll—sorry, this is still just surreal to type—told reporters that General Manager John Schneider will hire the next coach, and that he won’t be involved in the process.

“That will be on Johnny’s docket,” Carroll said when asked about the search for a new head coach. “He’s gonna get after that and make that happen with the help of ownership and all that, and we’ll be supporting them as much as possibly can happen so that they can do a great job with it.”

While Carroll will technically still be part of the organization, he said he won’t be involved in helping find his successor.

“No, I have support to John. I’m supporting John,” he said. “… That’s not my deal. That’s their deal.”

As for Carroll’s new role as an advisor? The terms of that role have not yet been defined.

“We’re gonna figure that out. We don’t really know right now,” he said. “But I’m grateful for the intention that the organization has to try to find something that makes sense. So we’ll see. I don’t know.”

Carroll had additionally served as Vice President of Football Operations, but under this set-up it’s going to be John Schneider in charge of the personnel moving forward. For everyone who’s wanted to see Carroll and Schneider essentially decoupled, so to speak, this is your wish come true. Schneider’s contract runs through the 2027 NFL Draft.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/1/10/24 ... 0successor.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:39 am

These 'Advisor Roles' that teams give former coaches or executives are usually just a way for all sides to save face and turn the page gracefully.
I was under no illusion that he would have any influence going forward.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:48 am

NorthHawk wrote:These 'Advisor Roles' that teams give former coaches or executives are usually just a way for all sides to save face and turn the page gracefully.
I was under no illusion that he would have any influence going forward.

I knew that you weren't under such an illusion, but a few of our friends were.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:10 pm

RiverDog wrote:I knew that you weren't under such an illusion, but a few of our friends were.

Anyone who read the Seahawks official statement and listened to Carroll's press conference understood the score.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum