Who would you want as head coach?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Who would you want as head coach?

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:40 pm

Now that Pete is out. Who do you want?

1. Harbaugh: He has proven he can win a National Championship and get to a Super Bowl and compete in the playoffs. His NFL tenure is short, but showed immense promise. So far he has been able to turn around any team he has coached into a championship contending team.

2. Dan Quinn: Someone said this was possible. I like Dan Quinn. He took Atlanta to a Super Bowl and almost won. He has more experience under his belt. I would not mind giving him a chance. His Dallas defense is pretty good. I know he works very, very hard.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Re: Who would you want as head coach?

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:58 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Now that Pete is out. Who do you want?

1. Harbaugh: He has proven he can win a National Championship and get to a Super Bowl and compete in the playoffs. His NFL tenure is short, but showed immense promise. So far he has been able to turn around any team he has coached into a championship contending team.

2. Dan Quinn: Someone said this was possible. I like Dan Quinn. He took Atlanta to a Super Bowl and almost won. He has more experience under his belt. I would not mind giving him a chance. His Dallas defense is pretty good. I know he works very, very hard.

I thought Quinn did a pretty good job when he coached in Seattle as assistant DC and dline coach and later DC. I am still flummoxed at the poor tackling. there's no way that was being coached to the players, so I don't know what was failing to reach the players on that issue. Maybe Quinn has the answer.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:57 pm

I would want an Offensive Head Coach. Someone who knows how to develop a young QB. We will have to select a QB either this year or next, so how about not risking the pick with a Defensive HC?
Quinn probably has the inside track because he knows Schneider and has worked with him before and the NFL has a full history of GMs hiring people they know over possibly more qualified individuals.
I would hope JS would step out of his comfort zone and get the best HC he can find even if he doesn't know a lot about him but thinks he can work with him.

Harbaugh
Bienemy
Quinn (if he's capable of not fiddling with the Offense)
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:15 pm

I think Quinn is young enough that he would let a good OC do their thing.

Quinn has definitely improved the Dallas defense since his arrival and kept it performing at a high level. I would not be unhappy to give Quinn a real shot in Seattle.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:20 pm

Give me a Johnson. Either Ben, OC for the Lions, or Brian, OC for the Eagles.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:46 pm

I will repeat what I said in another thread, as John will not hire Harbaugh. A great coach, for sure, but he would want complete control, John has never had that and he won't give it up now.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:57 pm

Old but Slow wrote:I will repeat what I said in another thread, as John will not hire Harbaugh. A great coach, for sure, but he would want complete control, John has never had that and he won't give it up now.

Excellent point.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:58 pm

I can't see Seattle beating out all the great coaching places open right now. Jim will probably go to the Chargers or Raiders. Lots of competition for head coach right now.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:44 pm

Old but Slow wrote:I will repeat what I said in another thread, as John will not hire Harbaugh. A great coach, for sure, but he would want complete control, John has never had that and he won't give it up now.

Yep. Harbaugh would be a horrible fit. Give me some young OC that's thankful to get the opportunity and doesn't have an entitlement attitude like Hairball has.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:26 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yep. Harbaugh would be a horrible fit. Give me some young OC that's thankful to get the opportunity and doesn't have an entitlement attitude like Hairball has.

I would take Harbaugh in a heartbeat if I thought we could get him. I like results. Harbaugh gets results wherever he goes. I like his intensity. His guys seem like they will run through walls for him.

So old guys judging this guy from afar mean about as much to me as spit on the wall.

The players Harbaugh coaches perform at a high level. He has succeeded wherever he has gone. He makes teams competitive almost immediately if they have talent.

That's what I want in a football coach.

You're just making crap up again about him having an "entitlement attitude" just like you do all the time with people you don't even know with near zero evidence. It shows you aren't really results oriented like you claim and you'd be perfectly happy losing year after year after year as long you "liked" the guy you don't even know personally.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:05 pm

Harbaugh. C’mon Jody, make it happen……
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:53 pm

RiverDog wrote:Give me a Johnson. Either Ben, OC for the Lions, or Brian, OC for the Eagles.

Ben Johnson appears to be the one of the hottest coordinators out there to get a HC position. He will be 38 years old this year so definitely young.

Started his coaching career at Boston College in 2009 as a graduate assistant, promoted to TE coach in 2011.

Named offensive assistant in 2012 with the Dolphins. Promoted next season to Asst. QB coach. Promoted to TE coach in 2015 when Dan Campbell was named interim HC. Reassigned to Asst. WR coach in 2017 under Adam Gase, and promoted to WR coach in 2018.

In 2019, hired by Detroit as offensive quality control coach, and promoted to TE coach in 2020. Retained on staff next season when they hired Dan Campbell. Had his TE coach role increased in 2021 as passing game coordinator while their OC's role was decreased. In 2022, he was named OC of the Lions.

This is the type of guy I want. A younger coach with an offensive background. Can he lead men? Who knows, but the guy has been around the block in the NFL and has a great mentor in Dan Campbell. Sign me up for this.

EDIT - The Chargers, Commanders, Titans, and Panthers have already requested an interview with Johnson.

Virtual initial interviews are allowed with candidates employed by another franchise until January 21. Starting January 22, teams can start to conduct In Person interviews with candidates of other teams whose seasons have ended. Also starting January 22nd, teams cannot hold initial interviews with candidates employed by other teams participating in the NFC or AFC championship games until their season is over. Second interviews are not allowed until January 29.

So the Seahawks would need to have an initial interview with anyone from playoff teams between now and January 21.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:14 am

Thanks, 86 for the info. Good stuff. Interesting about the virtual interviews. Over the net? So, do we have any budding hackers who could get us a listen?

John S now has the control that was in question before. I trust him. He strikes me as practical, and not likely to allow sentiment to sway his decisions. He knows better than anyone the strengths and weaknesses of this team.

Seattle is a great destination (the best in my opinion), but the other sites are attractive as well. The Chargers have SoCal weather and a top QB. Atlanta and Carolina will be aggressive. Vegas? Spotlight city. DC, location and the potential of a top team.

We need an innovative OC with energy, leadership, and the ability to delegate. And it wouldn't hurt if he loves the NW.

There has been a bit of talk about Bienemi (sp?), who has been very good, but after about 6 head coaching interviews it sounds as though there is reaction to his legal history which is not good.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:47 am

Yeah, 86, thanks for the bio on Ben Johnson and the info on the interview process. If Johnson is anything like Dan Campbell, I'd love to see him on our side of the field.

I'd be OK with Dan Quinn, but I have my heart set on one of those young OC's as they've had so much success recently. But more than anything, I want to steer away from the college guys, including Hairball, who I think would be a disaster.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:19 am

Vrabel, Quinn or Eric Bieniemy.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:13 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Vrabel, Quinn or Eric Bieniemy.

Quinn and Vrabel are defensive guys. The most successful teams have HC's with an offensive background: Niners, Philly, Chiefs, Fins, Rams, Bills, Lions, Packers, Cowboys, Bengals. The past 4 SB's have seen both teams coached by a HC that has an offensive background.

Also, one has to wonder about Bieniemy. He's been up for a HC position numerous times over the past 3-4 years and on the surface would seem to be eminently qualified. Why hasn't he landed a job? Is there something in his past that's scaring teams off? Does he have a people problem?
Last edited by RiverDog on Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:55 am

I don't care whether they are offensive or defensive minded coaches, that's not my criteria. Chumley was an offensive guy and Pete was a defensive guy, both worked for me.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:28 am

I would like an Offensive HC because we have a bunch of weapons on Offense but haven't been using them to the fullest. Some creativity could really help.
As well, we have to get a young QB soon and it's best to have an Offensive HC who knows how to develop a QB than a Defensive HC who could restrict his growth.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:31 am

I would add Brian Callahan to the list of potential HCs.
He's currently the OC of the Bengals and if he can talk his father Bill Callahan to come with him it could really change things. Bill Callahan is thought of as one of the better OL coaches in the NFL.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:40 am

NorthHawk wrote:I would add Brian Callahan to the list of potential HCs.
He's currently the OC of the Bengals and if he can talk his father Bill Callahan to come with him it could really change things. Bill Callahan is thought of as one of the better OL coaches in the NFL.

I've heard Callahan's name mentioned, too. He's been credited with developing Joe Burrow, worked with Peyton Manning in Denver, was the QB coach with the Lions and Mathew Stafford. If our priority is bringing in a young quarterback and develop him as our QBOTF, I want an offensive minded HC to coach him up.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:14 pm

Well this offseason will be quite different now considering it won't be the same rhetoric year after year with Pete Carroll. Actually quite excited to see what the future holds. As I have mentioned in other post, and I know the Seahawks probably will look for a young OC to lead the hawks as their new HC, and I would be happy with that but I really still think Mike McDonald would be my vote. Going back to a dominate defense is something I would love to have back.

So many things to look forward to, and until we hire a new HC and start there it will be fun to watch this process play out. I hope John does some house cleaning and start fresh. I can see a lot of our vets gone this offseason. There is the possibility of seeing some younger players being traded aways for draft capital like DK Metcalf and Jordyn Brooks and doing a a complete rebuild.

I hate to see Lockett go, unless he restructures his contract for less money and stays. He does have a real estate company locally so not sure if he would be willing to sign somewhere else, but love to see him retire in blue.

I am perfectly fine if they cut 70% of this roster, and get younger. Starting with our safeties.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:45 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Well this offseason will be quite different now considering it won't be the same rhetoric year after year with Pete Carroll. Actually quite excited to see what the future holds. As I have mentioned in other post, and I know the Seahawks probably will look for a young OC to lead the hawks as their new HC, and I would be happy with that but I really still think Mike McDonald would be my vote. Going back to a dominate defense is something I would love to have back.

So many things to look forward to, and until we hire a new HC and start there it will be fun to watch this process play out. I hope John does some house cleaning and start fresh. I can see a lot of our vets gone this offseason. There is the possibility of seeing some younger players being traded aways for draft capital like DK Metcalf and Jordyn Brooks and doing a a complete rebuild.

I hate to see Lockett go, unless he restructures his contract for less money and stays. He does have a real estate company locally so not sure if he would be willing to sign somewhere else, but love to see him retire in blue.

I am perfectly fine if they cut 70% of this roster, and get younger. Starting with our safeties.

Agreed. A new broom sweeps clean. No need to hang onto bad draft picks and trades to save face. Adams and Diggs have to be the first to go. Worst safety combo in the league. Brooks is a free agent, but I'd let him walk. I'd trade Metcalf only if we could get a 1st rounder plus. Lockett will have to restructure his deal if he wants to go out as a Seahawk. And yeah, 70% sounds about right.

I want to see a complete reset, good, bad, or indifferent.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:23 pm

Dan Quinn? I truly believe that bringing in a Pete cast-off to coach couldn't be a worse idea. Not Quinn's fault, but it won't work.

We need new blood, top to bottom. All the existing coaches have been told they can go look for new jobs, it seems that would someone in management wants to clear the offices of Pete's legacy and influence.

Yesterday, Jody allowed her PR people to write and publish a 'tribute' to Pete, that claimed to offer him a job (remote work from his Kauai home?) and obviously didn't consult Pete before issuing that nonsensical work should also be shown the door.
Maybe because the team doesn't want to pay him the balance of his contract?

Anyway, here are my choices for our new HC and who knows, the field of qualified OFFENSIVE coaches who have the talent to be an NFL head coach seems to be very, very small, and we're competing against at least 7 other teams -- so lets think outside the box. Why not? ---

#1: Harbaugh
#2: Dan Lanning (yeah, he won't leave the O for Alabama, but would leave to move here?)
#3) Kalen DeBoer (short drive from Montlake to Renton) and bring your OC with you.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:49 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Yesterday, Jody allowed her PR people to write and publish a 'tribute' to Pete, that claimed to offer him a job (remote work from his Kauai home?) and obviously didn't consult Pete before issuing that nonsensical work should also be shown the door.

What exactly is this referring to?
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:56 pm

from what I know/hearing Dan Quinn I think is his name is the top prospect, former Defensive Coordinator?
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:02 pm

"MackStrongIsMyHero"][quote="jshawaii22"]Yesterday, Jody allowed her PR people to write and publish a 'tribute' to Pete, that claimed to offer him a job (remote work from his Kauai home?) and obviously didn't consult Pete before issuing that nonsensical work should also be shown the door.

What exactly is this referring to?

Jody Allen's statement said: “After thoughtful meetings and careful consideration for the best interest of the franchise, we have amicably agreed with Pete Carroll that his role will evolve from Head Coach to remain with the organization as an advisor.”

Well, some time after that, at PC's press conference, and according to Pete, that's not how the meeting with Management went down and he was nice, but didn't seem pleased about it at all.
-- He wanted to stay as coach
-- He never talked about or agreed to stay on as a consultant

There are many links to his press conference you can go listen yourself and compare the Seahawks statement with his to make your own conclusions.

Note: My part about PC working remote from Kauai, I threw in.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:48 pm

I read the statement and listened to press conference, so I thought you were referencing something else. Went and listened to it again just to be sure.

jshawaii22 wrote:Well, some time after that, at PC's press conference, and according to Pete, that's not how the meeting with Management went down and he was nice, but didn't seem pleased about it at all.
-- He wanted to stay as coach
-- He never talked about or agreed to stay on as a consultant

--Of course he wanted to stay on as coach. He said as much before the meeting, and it's no surprise he made his case during the meeting. He loves the team and loves the game. I didn't get the not pleased part, at least not in any kind of acrimonious sense. He did say he fought for it and for the staff and players and what he believes the team is about, but also came to the amicable agreement. I would expect him to be bummed about not coaching anymore and to make a case for himself. That's in keeping with him and not a negative.

--When asked directly what his role would be, he said they were still figuring that out, and he's grateful for their intention to find role for him. I didn't specifically hear "consultant" or "advisor", he sounds like he's on board for whatever. "We got a to a good clean spot where it made sense, and I went along with their intentions."

Things can certainly change, but I'm not seeing a contradiction with the official statement and Pete's presser. Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but I'm getting drama from your statements as well as the media and other fan comments that I don't believe is there. It's like people want the whole event to be tumultuous.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:13 pm

I would be happy with Dan Quinn if we can't get Harbaugh.

What are the Dan Quinn positives?
1. He's open to letting a great OC do their thing. Kyle Shanahan was his OC in Atlanta and Dan left him alone as far as I can tell. This would make guys like Northhawk and RD happy who want a coach who will let the offense open up. There is no Quinn ball. He'll pick a great OC and let them do their thing.

2. Dan is a D-line coach. So he will build the defense from front to back, not from back to front like Pete. The D-line will be a priority for Quinn. D-line is the most important component of a great defense. Dan was instrumental in building the Legion of Boom D-line.

3. Dan has proven he can take a team to the Super Bowl. He's still hungry to win one. He barely lost to the Patriots.

4. He's not interested in complete control or being the GM. He's happy to work with a good GM like John Schneider.

5. He's young and hungry still.

If we can't get Harbaugh, I'd be pretty happy with Dan Quinn. I feel like he can get the job done if he finds a great OC and he would definitely fix our front seven as a priority. He would make both the defensive guys like me happy and with the right OC make the offensive guys happy they don't have to watch Pete-ball any more.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:19 pm

Pete is still an employee under contract. Besides HC he was Executive VP of Football Operations (or some such) and all I've heard is that they took away his HC position. If they want to redefine his other duties as advisory I don't see a problem there and don't get the impression he does other than to say "I really wanted to keep coaching". I do think we should have let him coach out his contract personally. One more year to see if he can do something more with all these youngsters. But it is what it is.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:37 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Pete is still an employee under contract. Besides HC he was Executive VP of Football Operations (or some such) and all I've heard is that they took away his HC position. If they want to redefine his other duties as advisory I don't see a problem there and don't get the impression he does other than to say "I really wanted to keep coaching". I do think we should have let him coach out his contract personally. One more year to see if he can do something more with all these youngsters. But it is what it is.

I had completely forgotten about that, and I pretty much agree with what you said.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:42 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Pete is still an employee under contract. Besides HC he was Executive VP of Football Operations (or some such) and all I've heard is that they took away his HC position. If they want to redefine his other duties as advisory I don't see a problem there and don't get the impression he does other than to say "I really wanted to keep coaching". I do think we should have let him coach out his contract personally. One more year to see if he can do something more with all these youngsters. But it is what it is.

Honest question: Why would they give Pete a somewhat mundane title of "advisor" if they were allowing him to maintain decision making authority as "Executive VP of Football Operations"? Rather than saying that he was staying on as a mere counselor or resource, why not say that he was remaining as VP? I'm pretty sure his desk is going to be tucked back in a windowless room with those big cardboard filing boxes.

I wanted Pete gone last year but was willing to bite my tongue as much as I could until the end of the regular season, so I'm simply ecstatic over this news. I will admit that I was dead wrong about our owner not having the guts to make a tough decision.

The calls for Pete to move on was, from my POV, a consensus opinion amongst the fan base. The natives were definitely restless. Our ownership group had to have been listening and took that into consideration in firing him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:52 pm

If they bring Dan Quinn in, I could see Pete helping out. Quinn and Pete got along very well. If they bring in someone else, Pete probably gone.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:57 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:If they bring Dan Quinn in, I could see Pete helping out. Quinn and Pete got along very well. If they bring in someone else, Pete probably gone.

Pete's still a brilliant football mind and a great resource to have around. So long as he's good with the demotion and doesn't have any decision-making authority as his job title implies, I don't see why any other coach would mind having him around.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:04 pm

One other name that now intrigues me after reading up on things, and if we go the defensive side of things, is Mike Macdonald, who is currently DC for the Ravens.

- will be 37 this year
- joined Georgie as a graduate asst. in 2010. Also served as Safety and Defensive Quality Control coach from 2011-2013. Received a Masters Degree in Sports Management in 2013
- joined the Ravens in 2014 and stayed there until 2020. Was hired as an intern, promoted to Defensive Asst. in 2015, Defensive Backs coach in 2017, and Linebackers coach in 2018
- left the Ravens in 2021 and joined the other Harbaugh in Michigan as DC for one season, where they had a top 10 Defense in the nation
- re-joined the Ravens in 2022 as DC, as has built the Ravens D into the best in the NFL (Frisco might have something to say about that).

The Titans, Commanders, and Panthers have already requested an interview with him.

Could be a nice fit with Schneider. Again for me, he's young and has fresh/new age ideas and schemes.

I would like Ben Johnson or Mike Macdonald in my world. Not really too huge on Dan Quinn, I want fresh blood in Seattle.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:10 pm

On my phone, so don’t feel like dealing with quoting, but, to the honest question of his title vs his role, I’m guessing his title isn’t immutable, and, even if there’s contract language regarding his level of authority, I don’t peg Pete as someone who’s going to lawyer up to fight a reduction in that authority. I sure hope they don’t stick him I a back corner office with stacks of boxes and no window(s). He’s earned more than that. Per his conference, they are still figuring out what his role entails. Either he’ll be down with that and his accommodations, or he won’t and he’ll leave for good. Also per his press conference, he’s still of the mind and energy to contribute and be a part of it, so we’ll just have to see what happens.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:18 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:On my phone, so don’t feel like dealing with quoting, but, to the honest question of his title vs his role, I’m guessing his title isn’t immutable, and, even if there’s contract language regarding his level of authority, I don’t peg Pete as someone who’s going to lawyer up to fight a reduction in that authority. I sure hope they don’t stick him I a back corner office with stacks of boxes and no window(s). He’s earned more than that. Per his conference, they are still figuring out what his role entails. Either he’ll be down with that and his accommodations, or he won’t and he’ll leave for good. Also per his press conference, he’s still of the mind and energy to contribute and be a part of it, so we’ll just have to see what happens.

I'm only going by what we've been given, and that's the announcement that Pete is staying on as an "advisor". It's my firm belief that if the Hawks had wanted Pete to stay intimately involved with the team, that they would have said that he's remaining as VP of football operations rather than that of a mere 'advisor.' IMO he's being gently pushed aside, and the Seahawks have handled the situation as well as one could expect.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:17 pm

Pete made it clear in his press conference when he said John has all the power over personnel and he’s there to help him out if he wants some advice or support. They won’t be working together anymore.
However, I expect him to end up with another team before the season starts.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:12 am

NorthHawk wrote:Pete made it clear in his press conference when he said John has all the power over personnel and he’s there to help him out if he wants some advice or support. They won’t be working together anymore.
However, I expect him to end up with another team before the season starts.

Yuppers. We can put to rest this notion that Pete's still going to have decision making authority as a VP. He said that he's going to be a "fan", code for an advisor, just like the original announcement said:

Carroll made clear in his farewell news conference that while he still wanted to be the coach, he was excited to see what Schneider would do with the opportunity.

“I’m so excited for you to have this opportunity. It’s going to be cool,” Carroll said. “And it’s always been a great marriage. And it’s just unforgettable. I’m so grateful for that. And going forward, I’ll be your biggest fan now.”

Pete has a pretty fat contract for 2024, so the smart thing to do would be to let this season play out and if he still wants to coach or be more heavily involved than the Hawks are using him, make his move next season. He'll turn 73 this September.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:49 am

I would think he would want to get back into coaching ASAP because of the perception of age and because coaches sometimes become forgotten if they are out of the spotlight.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:17 am

NorthHawk wrote:I would think he would want to get back into coaching ASAP because of the perception of age and because coaches sometimes become forgotten if they are out of the spotlight.

The Hawks still have control over if and where Pete coaches, so if he wanted out, my guess is that the Hawks wouldn't do so unless it was with an AFC team like the Chargers.

But my guess is that at least for the time being, that Pete will be content to sit at his desk in his windowless basement office next to those big cardboard box files, go to lunch once a week with the HC/GM, raise the 12th man flag a time or two, and pick up his $15M paycheck.
RiverDog
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum