Seahawks Next Head Coach

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Seahawks Next Head Coach

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:16 pm

RiverDog wrote:After reading this article, I've become convinced that Vrabel is the guy we'll hire:

In the meantime, we’ve heard about eight interview requests for assistants from throughout the league by the Seahawks, and another rumored to be likely. All nine of those reports involve current offensive or defensive coordinators, which makes sense given that the Seahawks need to request permission to interview anyone currently employed by an NFL team.

As a former player with, as Breer noted, “pelts on the wall,” Vrabel fits into a category that includes Detroit’s Dan Campbell and Houston’s DeMeco Ryans, both head coaches who are semi-recent ex-players that seem to understand how to reach the modern athlete, and are having tremendous success with traditionally moribund franchises.

Vrabel’s teams play hard and don’t quit. He has experience leading a franchise. He has learned from Bill Belichick but wasn’t among the many failed coaches from the Belichick tree – important because many of those hoodie wannabes tried the same top-down dictatorial approach that worked for their mentor but didn’t have the ability to pull it off. And according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Vrabel has a strong relationship with Schneider, an imperative for sustained success.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1771780/ ... 9KYGIaTPyw

That last sentence I've underlined is what clinched it for me. With the exception of Dan Quinn, you can't say that about any of the other names that have been batted around.

I'd still prefer one of the top OC's, but I'd be more than happy with Vrabel.

4XPIPS wrote:I would pass on Vrabel. Was he a good coach? It's hard to say if he was bad or great, but he was given plenty of time to develop a successful team and he sort of fell in that "above league average type of results"

I don't hate the guy, but most first time coaches are done with in the first 3 years, and most likely won't sniff another HC job for quite sometime. However, Vrabel did have success and was playoff bound, but couldn't elevate his team to the next level and was given ample time to do so. The Titans did stay relatively young over the time he coached, so it wasn't like he meddling with aging veterans and they aged out. I think the body of work he put out warrants enough for him to be a head coach again, and if he comes here and we get the same results where we are a bubble team that makes the playoffs here or there, well we might as well have kept Pete as our HC. Never fully developed a solid QB, but would it be an upgrade from Pete? I think the results would be the same.

Bill Belichick got fired by the Browns, of all teams, before the Patriots hired him. Pete Carroll got fired by not one team, but two teams, the Pats and the Jets, before we hired him. Andy Reid was fired by the Eagles.

I'm not advocating that we hire Vrabel. But neither will I disqualify him because the Titans failed to go deep in the playoffs. Losing experiences are valuable teachers.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:59 pm

4XPIPS wrote:I would pass on Vrabel. Was he a good coach? It's hard to say if he was bad or great, but he was given plenty of time to develop a successful team and he sort of fell in that "above league average type of results"

I don't hate the guy, but most first time coaches are done with in the first 3 years, and most likely won't sniff another HC job for quite sometime. However, Vrabel did have success and was playoff bound, but couldn't elevate his team to the next level and was given ample time to do so. The Titans did stay relatively young over the time he coached, so it wasn't like he meddling with aging veterans and they aged out. I think the body of work he put out warrants enough for him to be a head coach again, and if he comes here and we get the same results where we are a bubble team that makes the playoffs here or there, well we might as well have kept Pete as our HC. Never fully developed a solid QB, but would it be an upgrade from Pete? I think the results would be the same.

We aren't getting Jim Harbaugh and he's the best chance at a quick turnaround and Super Bowl on the market. Only guy I think is the least risky coach to take if you plan to give him the time and power to get the job done is Jim Harbaugh. He's the only one that has shown when he sets a goal of winning something big, he gets it done if you support him. Everyone else either has near zero experience or are like Vrabel and Quinn where they've done a little, but are still hungry for the Super Bowl victory. Whether any of them can get the job done is pure speculation. These young coordinators have no qualifications to guarantee playoffs or a Super Bowl. Pure gamble on our part.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:54 am

We aren't getting Jim Harbaugh

Yay!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:17 am

Every coaching change is a gamble. We had to go through Erickson before Holmy and Mora before Carroll.
Sometimes it doesn't work out, but you move on until it does.
So there's no reason to not take a chance on a young OC or DC as a HC if they think he has the chops to lead a team.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:50 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:We aren't getting Jim Harbaugh

c_hawkbob wrote:Yay!

Yay x2. Harbaugh is a huge risk. Not only has he had difficulty sharing authority, but we also have a couple of former Seahawks who played for him at Stanford, Sherman and Baldwin, and neither of them have anything good to say about him. Baldwin nearly quit football due to his relationship with Harbaugh. His corrosiveness is well documented and is not the type of culture building personality that both JS and Jody Allen described in their coaching attributes they're looking for.

We might as well quit talking about Harbaugh. He's not coming here. We've interviewed or expressed interest in 10 candidates, and none are named Jim Harbaugh. If Schneider was even remotely interested in him, we would have seen or heard something by now. Heck, he might not even come back to the NFL as he's in contract negotiations with UM. He might be feigning interest in returning simply as a negotiating tactic.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:12 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yay x2. Harbaugh is a huge risk. Not only has he had difficulty sharing authority, but we also have a couple of former Seahawks who played for him at Stanford, Sherman and Baldwin, and neither of them have anything good to say about him. Baldwin nearly quit football due to his relationship with Harbaugh. His corrosiveness is well documented and is not the type of culture building personality that both JS and Jody Allen described in their coaching attributes they're looking for.

We might as well quit talking about Harbaugh. He's not coming here. We've interviewed or expressed interest in 10 candidates, and none are named Jim Harbaugh. If Schneider was even remotely interested in him, we would have seen or heard something by now. Heck, he might not even come back to the NFL as he's in contract negotiations with UM. He might be feigning interest in returning simply as a negotiating tactic.

Harbaugh is the least risky and most successful coach of the bunch we have to pick from. I wish you would stop with your full of crap emotionally driven narrative on Harbaugh when he has gotten as much done as he has. I especially no longer want to hear about you being results driven when you're not or you would be all over the Harbaugh hiring.

[b]c-bob[/]b has never cared about winning and would be fine if we had been watching Holmgren make excuses for the past 24 years. He never claims to be otherwise.

You have zero to go on as far as Harbaugh not getting things done. Baldwin and Sherm can complain as much as they want, but Baldwin was an Undrafted free agent who became a long time NFL starter and Sherm became one of the best corners of the last 20 years. Both were coached and developed by Harbaugh because he gets things done and knows how to develop talent.

This is why I miss Paul Allen. He didn't give a crap about things like making crap up about people in their head and projecting it on them, he wanted results. If Paul Allen had not passed, I'd probably be waiting to see Harbaugh hired here and us lined up for our next Super Bowl.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:18 pm

You're completely full of it Asea, always have been. I absolutely care about winning and if you look at all the winningest organization one thing they have in common is they don't fire their HC every other year as soon as they encounter a problem. Hairball is the the most anti-Seahawk candidate out there. Nothing about him is in line with the way the entire Seahawks organization does business except his w/l record. You're just incapable of ever seeing anything any other way than you first decide things must be.

Next time you want to talk sh!t about me, have the balls to say it to me.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:39 pm

I'm going to keep on mentioning Harbaugh until he's off the board. He's the least risk and best coaching prospect out there right now. I'm hoping Jody Allen and John Schneider are secretly making a strong run at Harbaugh and that is why Pete is out.

Harbaugh has all the positives you want in a head coach:

1. QB Development: Turned Andrew Luck into number one overall pick. Developed Colin Kaepernick, a guy not even in the league any more, into a Super Bowl competitive QB. I don't know what's going on at Michigan, but he has that QB playing well enough to win a National Championship.

2. Player development: Developed Sherm and Baldwin so they could turn into what they did at the next level.

Got the most out of the talent in Frisco to the tune of a two Conference championships and a Super Bowl trip and 3 playoff trips in 4 years including his first year there.

3. Had Frisco back in the Super Bowl in his second year as head coach.

Turned Stanford into a national championship competitive team.

Won a national championship at Michigan as he stated was his goal. Goal accomplished.

Jim Harbaugh is the best NFL coaching candidate since Pete Carroll. As much as I don't think we have much of a chance of landing him, I'm still holding out hope that Jody Allen made the move on Pete this year because whoever she has hired as her football advisor is telling her to make a serious run at Jim Harbaugh and we're all going to be surprised even if a some of the older fans don't like the way he talks or carries himself.

I don't have to know Harbaugh personally. All I care about is having a head coach I'm confident if given time and resources will win a Super Bowl. Out of all the head coaching candidates available, Jim Harbaugh is the absolute best chance to win a Super Bowl. That's what I want for Seattle. I don't give a crap if he rubs some fans the wrong way that want to make up things in their head about who Harbaugh is versus the recorded accomplishments of Jim Harbaugh which show him as the best head coaching candidate out there checking every box for what you want in a head coach other than making people happy with what he says as the press podium.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:58 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:You're completely full of it Asea, always have been. I absolutely care about winning and if you look at all the winningest organization one thing they have in common is they don't fire their HC every other year as soon as they encounter a problem. Hairball is the the most anti-Seahawk candidate out there. Nothing about him is in line with the way the entire Seahawks organization does business except his w/l record. You're just incapable of ever seeing anything any other way than you first decide things must be.

Next time you want to talk sh!t about me, have the balls to say it to me.

I said what I said because it's a fact, not because I was talking crap about you. I been posting with you for twenty plus years and you're the same as you always been. You'd be just fine liking a head coach and losing year after year so long as it looked close. I've seen this with my own eyes on the PI board and here. I got no clue why you consider it some kind of insult when it's just your nature as a human being. I've become accustomed to it by this time. To me what I stated above has zero to do with talking s*** and more to do with just accepting who you are as a fan.

Same as I am accustomed to Riverdog making wrong call after wrong call as he made up exactly the same type of narrative about Pete Carroll 14 years ago not being a great head coach and making stuff up about Pete as a person because that's just who he is. He's likes to make up strange narratives in his head with barely any support and push it. Then ignore any questions he doesn't feel like answering or can't answer or doesn't have any factual support for. Sometimes I engage it and sometimes I ignore it and shrug.

You, me, and a bunch other posters been posting on these and the other forum. We know each other well enough.

Yep, you're right. I get set in something I research it, have the facts and evidence to back it up, and I will argue it until the opinion is proves otherwise. So we know each other well enough after 20 years and no use pretending we're insulting each other for simply acknowledging each of our natures.

And that's the last I'll say of it.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:17 pm

What I came here for in the first place:

Raiders sound like they're hiring Pierce.
Patriots off the board hiring Jerod Mayo.
Cowboys kept McCarthy.

So Chargers are likely the next in the running for Harbaugh, but we still got a shot at a surprise Harbaugh hiring. A long shot given all we know of Schneider finally wanting the reins without a control freak head coach in the building, but a shot nonetheless. I'm still pulling they hire Jim Harbaugh and let him go for it in Seattle.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:28 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:What I came here for in the first place:

Raiders sound like they're hiring Pierce.
Patriots off the board hiring Jerod Mayo.
Cowboys kept McCarthy.

So Chargers are likely the next in the running for Harbaugh, but we still got a shot at a surprise Harbaugh hiring. A long shot given all we know of Schneider finally wanting the reins without a control freak head coach in the building, but a shot nonetheless. I'm still pulling they hire Jim Harbaugh and let him go for it in Seattle.

The Seahawks have expressed interest in or have been linked to 9 candidates: 1. Ben Johnson, Lions OC. 2. Frank Smith, Dolphins OC. 3. Mike Vrabel, former Titans HC. 4. Patrick Graham, Raiders DC. 5. Bobby Slowick, Texans OC. 6. Raheem Morris, Rams DC. 7. Dan Quinn, Cowboys DC. 8. Mike Kafka, Giants OC. 9. Ejiro Evero, Panthers DC.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the Seahawks are even remotely interested in Jim Harbaugh. If they were, we would have heard about it by now. Give it up, bro. It ain't happening.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:38 pm

Getting Harbaugh would likely mean getting rid of Schneider. Everything I've read on Harbaugh says that he's difficult to work with and wants Pete-like control over personnel decisions. JS was hired with the understanding that he'd work with Pete, and Pete's clearly a fun/easy guy to work with, or at least was for JS. That's the opposite of Harbaugh's reputation. Arguing for a Harbaugh hire is, in my mind, the same as arguing for firing JS at the same time and letting Harbaugh hire his GM or at least giving him control over the draft. Whether we thing those would be wise, the fact is they are just so improbable that hoping for a Harbaugh hire is too unlikely to spend time thinking about. If he was content to be just a head coach, this conversation would be different. But the Hawks ain't offering what he's looking for.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:51 am

Oly wrote:Getting Harbaugh would likely mean getting rid of Schneider. Everything I've read on Harbaugh says that he's difficult to work with and wants Pete-like control over personnel decisions. JS was hired with the understanding that he'd work with Pete, and Pete's clearly a fun/easy guy to work with, or at least was for JS. That's the opposite of Harbaugh's reputation. Arguing for a Harbaugh hire is, in my mind, the same as arguing for firing JS at the same time and letting Harbaugh hire his GM or at least giving him control over the draft. Whether we thing those would be wise, the fact is they are just so improbable that hoping for a Harbaugh hire is too unlikely to spend time thinking about. If he was content to be just a head coach, this conversation would be different. But the Hawks ain't offering what he's looking for.

Which is almost certainly why we haven't seen anything about the Hawks having an interest in him.

Time to move on from Harbaugh and focus our debate on more viable candidates like the 9 that have been documented as our having interest in. It's apparent that both Schneider and I would assume Pete have a personal relationship with two of those candidates, ie Vrabel and Quinn. If Schneider wants to stay within his comfort zone, he'll hire one of those two guys.

Personal interviews are a big part of the puzzle that we know nothing about in relation to the specific candidates. Some people just don't interview well. I suspect this might be one of the reasons why Eric Bienemy, despite having a very good resume, hasn't landed a head coaching job. IMO one of those other 7 guys on our short list is going to have to knock the socks off JS in his interview in order to move him out of his comfort zone and take a gamble on an untried first-time head coach. Otherwise, I think we're looking at Quinn or Vrabel, and I'd put my money on the latter.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:58 am

Harbaugh all the way. Let him build the structure how and with whom he wants…….
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:32 pm

RiverDog wrote:

Bill Belichick got fired by the Browns, of all teams, before the Patriots hired him. Pete Carroll got fired by not one team, but two teams, the Pats and the Jets, before we hired him. Andy Reid was fired by the Eagles.

I'm not advocating that we hire Vrabel. But neither will I disqualify him because the Titans failed to go deep in the playoffs. Losing experiences are valuable teachers.

I get your point, and let's not forget Tom Coughlin, but it's easy to pluck examples that validate the Vrabel. I would almost say those are the outliers, because I think there are have been bigger drop offs on retreaded coaches. There have been a lot of coaches who actually had decent success in their first run, but had a significant let downs on their 2nd run.

Below are list of coaches on their second(some three) time around;

Ron Rivera
Pat Shumur
Norv Turner
Lovie Smith
Ken Whisenhunt
Jim Caldwell
Jeff Fisher

I just rather go younger and mover innovative with today's style of ever changing football. Again, Vrabel will coach again but I just prefer we got with a Bobby Slowick or Mike McDonald.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:04 pm

Speaking of seconds, this is a list of candidates we're bringing in for a second interview, per USA Today:

“The #Seahawks are setting up second interviews with head coaching candidates, including #Panthers DC Ejiro Evero, #Raiders DC Patrick Graham, #Giants OC Mike Kafka, #Rams DC Raheem Morris and #Cowboys DC Dan Quinn, per sources

Disappointed not to see Vrabel on that list.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:16 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I'm going to keep on mentioning Harbaugh until he's off the board. He's the least risk and best coaching prospect out there right now. I'm hoping Jody Allen and John Schneider are secretly making a strong run at Harbaugh and that is why Pete is out.

Harbaugh has all the positives you want in a head coach:

1. QB Development: Turned Andrew Luck into number one overall pick. Developed Colin Kaepernick, a guy not even in the league any more, into a Super Bowl competitive QB. I don't know what's going on at Michigan, but he has that QB playing well enough to win a National Championship.

2. Player development: Developed Sherm and Baldwin so they could turn into what they did at the next level.

Got the most out of the talent in Frisco to the tune of a two Conference championships and a Super Bowl trip and 3 playoff trips in 4 years including his first year there.

3. Had Frisco back in the Super Bowl in his second year as head coach.

Turned Stanford into a national championship competitive team.

Won a national championship at Michigan as he stated was his goal. Goal accomplished.

Jim Harbaugh is the best NFL coaching candidate since Pete Carroll. As much as I don't think we have much of a chance of landing him, I'm still holding out hope that Jody Allen made the move on Pete this year because whoever she has hired as her football advisor is telling her to make a serious run at Jim Harbaugh and we're all going to be surprised even if a some of the older fans don't like the way he talks or carries himself.

I don't have to know Harbaugh personally. All I care about is having a head coach I'm confident if given time and resources will win a Super Bowl. Out of all the head coaching candidates available, Jim Harbaugh is the absolute best chance to win a Super Bowl. That's what I want for Seattle. I don't give a crap if he rubs some fans the wrong way that want to make up things in their head about who Harbaugh is versus the recorded accomplishments of Jim Harbaugh which show him as the best head coaching candidate out there checking every box for what you want in a head coach other than making people happy with what he says as the press podium.

I too would not want Harbaugh, and it has nothing to do with his accolades or resume. Will Jim Harbaugh coach in the NFL again? Hmm most likely and probably won't be with the Seahawks. I would take a page our what Jim Harbaugh did at UofM that helped him get to the next level, was he went younger on both sides of the ball with his coaching. This helped him adjust to ever changing world of football and adapt to the nuance of the game. I would hope the Seahawks go younger on both sides of the ball and adapt and move forward.

However, you seem to keep pounding the same rhetoric over and over about Harbaugh, and to be honest I get it you want Harbaugh, but to invalidate any other candidate at his point is not keeping and open mind. I am not personally attacking you, but it's time to pump the brakes on Harbaugh as it would almost seem a moot point that he will ever become the Hawk's next HC.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:46 pm

I'm watching this Lions-Bucs game and am impressed by how often Goff is throwing to guys who are WIDE open. I've heard their OC, Ben Johnson, is destined for the Commanders, but I am impressed with him and would be very interested in seeing him in Seattle.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:07 pm

Oly wrote:I'm watching this Lions-Bucs game and am impressed by how often Goff is throwing to guys who are WIDE open. I've heard their OC, Ben Johnson, is destined for the Commanders, but I am impressed with him and would be very interested in seeing him in Seattle.

Ben Johnson is my favorite, too, but there's a lot of teams after him. He's already had interviews with 4 other teams besides us. He's the hottest coordinator on the market.

I saw a graphic during the Lions-Bucs game that I thought was pretty impressive. They have 4 Pro Bowl players that were drafted in the past 3 drafts. That's the type of yield we need to start getting out our drafts if we are to get back to the Super Bowl.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:41 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Ben Johnson is my favorite, too, but there's a lot of teams after him. He's already had interviews with 4 other teams besides us. He's the hottest coordinator on the market.

I saw a graphic during the Lions-Bucs game that I thought was pretty impressive. They have 4 Pro Bowl players that were drafted in the past 3 drafts. That's the type of yield we need to start getting out our drafts if we are to get back to the Super Bowl.

Jody needs to go big with her check book on this one. I do not believe DQ is her guy. Someone like Ben Johnson or Mike MacDonald could be. I think she and Schneider are being strategic and coy. Probably trying to build a team with their interviews. Schneider hopefully knows by now that we need to build a team to conquer the Shanahan-McVay system. Clearly DQ is not that.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:26 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:
“The #Seahawks are setting up second interviews with head coaching candidates, including #Panthers DC Ejiro Evero, #Raiders DC Patrick Graham, #Giants OC Mike Kafka, #Rams DC Raheem Morris and #Cowboys DC Dan Quinn, per sources

C-Bob, I am not 100% sure on this, but maybe we haven't heard a 2nd interview with Vrabel because he isn't currently employed by another team whereas all the others are? So maybe JS had to formally request a 2nd interview with those other ones and that is why it is made public whereas Vrabel doesn't have to be, but maybe it's in the works as well?

Like I said I dont' know, but maybe that door isn't closed like we are led to believe.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:10 am

c_hawkbob wrote:“The #Seahawks are setting up second interviews with head coaching candidates, including #Panthers DC Ejiro Evero, #Raiders DC Patrick Graham, #Giants OC Mike Kafka, #Rams DC Raheem Morris and #Cowboys DC Dan Quinn, per sources

Agent 86 wrote:C-Bob, I am not 100% sure on this, but maybe we haven't heard a 2nd interview with Vrabel because he isn't currently employed by another team whereas all the others are? So maybe JS had to formally request a 2nd interview with those other ones and that is why it is made public whereas Vrabel doesn't have to be, but maybe it's in the works as well?

Like I said I dont' know, but maybe that door isn't closed like we are led to believe.

We talked about that possibility in this or another similar thread. Additionally, since JS has a previously established good relationship with Vrabel, perhaps they don't feel the need for a 2nd interview.

In any event, I wouldn't assume that because we have yet to schedule a 2nd interview that we've ruled him out.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:44 am

c_hawkbob wrote:“The #Seahawks are setting up second interviews with head coaching candidates, including #Panthers DC Ejiro Evero, #Raiders DC Patrick Graham, #Giants OC Mike Kafka, #Rams DC Raheem Morris and #Cowboys DC Dan Quinn, per sources

Agent 86 wrote:C-Bob, I am not 100% sure on this, but maybe we haven't heard a 2nd interview with Vrabel because he isn't currently employed by another team whereas all the others are? So maybe JS had to formally request a 2nd interview with those other ones and that is why it is made public whereas Vrabel doesn't have to be, but maybe it's in the works as well?

RiverDog wrote:We talked about that possibility in this or another similar thread. Additionally, since JS has a previously established good relationship with Vrabel, perhaps they don't feel the need for a 2nd interview.

In any event, I wouldn't assume that because we have yet to schedule a 2nd interview that we've ruled him out.

Good points both.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:12 am

A little off topic, but the Bears are going to sign Shane Waldron as their OC.....

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2828062
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:42 pm

Agent 86 wrote:A little off topic, but the Bears are going to sign Shane Waldron as their OC.....

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2828062

I saw that. It will be interesting to see what his offense looks like compared to what ours has been the past couple of years. Will he utilize his tight ends more than he did with us? Like Pete, Eberflus is a defensive coach, so Waldron will likely be calling the plays.

There's quite a bit of changes coming down the pike. The Raiders named Antonio Pierce as their HC. The Commanders are talking with their OC Eric Bienemy, an OC who has been passed over for HC by several teams over the past couple of years. Hairball is interviewing with the Falcons.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:14 pm

Shane also gets the benefit of the #1 pick which should be a shiny new QB and another top 10 to start off his new job. For his sake lets hope the GM doesn't pick a b/u running back for a top 2nd round pick and blow off his 3rd round pick in a unnecessary trade..
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:09 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Shane also gets the benefit of the #1 pick which should be a shiny new QB and another top 10 to start off his new job. For his sake lets hope the GM doesn't pick a b/u running back for a top 2nd round pick and blow off his 3rd round pick in a unnecessary trade..

I really don't think Shane did all that bad. Would I want him back? No I prefer a fresh start, but I can see him being successful in another organization if he was given full control of the offense. I mean there are probably so many factors to being an offensive coordinator that we will never really know what they go through. However, I think he did ok as an OC with us given that we had a historically crap defense that put the offense in a high passing situation more than the offense needed to be in. I hope he does well, and wouldn't be surprised he has success elsewhere.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:37 pm

4XPIPS wrote:I really don't think Shane did all that bad. Would I want him back? No I prefer a fresh start, but I can see him being successful in another organization if he was given full control of the offense. I mean there are probably so many factors to being an offensive coordinator that we will never really know what they go through. However, I think he did ok as an OC with us given that we had a historically crap defense that put the offense in a high passing situation more than the offense needed to be in. I hope he does well, and wouldn't be surprised he has success elsewhere.

I agree. I don't think Waldron would have been hired this quickly if he was viewed as some see him, ie an incompetent OC.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:07 pm

Not sure if Brian Callahan was high on anyone's personal list of desired HCs, and I am not sure if he interviewed with the Hawks, sort of been caught up in the AO. Well one OC off the board and has found a HC job.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:37 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Not sure if Brian Callahan was high on anyone's personal list of desired HCs, and I am not sure if he interviewed with the Hawks, sort of been caught up in the AO. Well one OC off the board and has found a HC job.

Well, I don't really have a list other than I would prefer a young OC, and Callahan fits the bill.

Hopefully, we'll pull the trigger soon. I'm hoping that it will be Ben Johnson, OC of the Lions, but I'd settle for Vrabel.

I'm hearing some scuttle butt about Lincoln Riley, HC of the USC Trojans. I sure hope that we don't go that route.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:48 pm

What’s wrong with Lincoln Riley? He’s a young innovative offensive of mind.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:13 pm

Stream Hawk wrote:What’s wrong with Lincoln Riley? He’s a young innovative offensive of mind.

He's a college coach with zero experience in the NFL. Unlike Pete Carroll or Jim Hairball, he hasn't so much as set foot in a professional football locker room.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:43 am

Touché. So was that Buckeye/Gator coach. I just want GameChanger.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:33 am

Stream Hawk wrote:Touché. So was that Buckeye/Gator coach. I just want GameChanger.

Yeah, there's a long list of successful college coaches who flopped in the NFL, and you named one. Kliff Kingsbury and Matt Rhule are the latest examples. Colleges feature a different type of athlete, and it's a dramatically different type of business. That's why NFL teams seldom hire college coaches directly into HC positions and opt for a coordinator instead. Pete is one of the few that was able to succeed, but outside of his short stint at USC, he had extensive experience in the pro's.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:01 pm

Stream Hawk wrote:What’s wrong with Lincoln Riley? He’s a young innovative offensive of mind.

Not sure how much CFB you follow but Lincoln Riley belongs in CFB. His track record shows he is has the entire team slanted to the offense and could care less if his defense can keep up. If you are in for 52- 45 point shoot outs then you would enjoy watching Riley's offense. He scores way to quick, and puts his defense at a disadvantage, and to be honest I think he prefers his defense to falter at times, so he can get his offense out there and score points quickly. Reason why his QBs are always considered for the Heisman Trophy year after year.

If he were to ever come to the NFL he should come as an OC, and focus on that, sort of what Kliff should have been in the NFL just an OC.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:01 pm

Not sure how much CFB you follow but Lincoln Riley belongs in CFB. His track record shows he is has the entire team slanted to the offense and could care less if his defense can keep up. If you are in for 52- 45 point shoot outs then you would enjoy watching Riley's offense. He scores way to quick, and puts his defense at a disadvantage, and to be honest I think he prefers his defense to falter at times, so he can get his offense out there and score points quickly. Reason why his QBs are always considered for the Heisman Trophy year after year.

If he were to ever come to the NFL he should come as an OC, and focus on that, sort of what Kliff should have been in the NFL just an OC.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:14 pm

There will be more interviews, and the team can not talk to a coach who is still in the playoffs. John will not hurry the job, and, hopefully, Jodi will provide $ in abundance. The top candidates will not need rush their decisions, as they will want to weigh all the options. It will be at least 3 weeks and probably more.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:12 pm

Harbaugh and Bill B are the only proven high value coaches. Bill B being number one, but at 71 not ideal. Harbaugh is the top head coaching candidate out there with clear proof he can take a team and make them competitive fast at the highest level of college and the pros.

Vrabel and Quinn are the next tier of proven playoff contenders. They have at least shown they can build the team well enough to make and compete in the playoffs. Quinn has shown he can make a Super Bowl.

Everyone else is a total crapshoot. First time or limited head coaching experience with nothing but hopium for us to believe they can do the job and become the next head coaching great.

Ownership situation in Seattle doesn't look ideal as it could change and any head coach coming on could be changed if the team is sold. I imagine that leaves out coaches looking for a stable ownership situation they can rely on with guarantees.

We are very spoiled in Seattle. Paul Allen made sure we had one of the best head coaches in the league every time that position opened other than the Jim Mora aberration when Allen gave Ruskell a chance to shape the team and push Holmgren out.

I 100% believe that if Paul Allen were still alive, we would be making a strong run at Harbaugh as Allen would want the best coaching candidate available just as he did when he pulled Holmgren to Seattle and then Carroll. He wouldn't give a flying crap about how that was perceived as his head coach candidates were based on their accomplishments and Jim Harbaugh is the most accomplished coach other Bill Belichick. Better than Vrable and Quinn. A far, far better choice than any unproven coordinator.

But this is a new era without Paul Allen's sure hand to guide the team. It sounds like John Schneider is being given his shot like Ruskell before him. Not sure if Schneider had a hand in pushing Carroll out, though I doubt it given how tight they were unless he advised Jody maybe it was time. This seems like the Schneider show. I'm not sure what he is looking for other than "maintaining the positive culture" in Seattle whatever that means. I'd much rather have heard "Win again" myself, but I'm sure John surely understands that winning and his job are tightly linked.

I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with some head coach not even on the radar, but it's looks to me like Quinn is the likely lead candidate. I don't think Seattle is near as attractive a job as it was under Paul Allen. So not sure who John can pull here other than who connects well with John and believes he and John can get the job done or some coordinator who will take their shot in Seattle because it was offered to them. I can't say as I'm brimming with confidence. The only head coaches that would inspire confidence of getting us back to winning rather than than hell of never knowing if and when you'll be good again would be:

1. Harbaugh: most confident he would quickly turn the team into a SB contender, least risky candidate save to people who don't want to see his coaching accomplishments or just personally don't like the guy. But everything screams competitive head coach that can do a quick turnaround. If he sets a goal and is given time, he will make it happen. Can develop QBs. can build an offense. Doesn't overlook the defense while building up the offense. Can compete head to head with the best head coaches in college or the NFL. Has 100% and it's not even close clearly the best resume of all available head coaching candidates not named Bill B.

2. Belichick: First Ballot Hall of Fame head coach with 8 rings. If he were younger, he would be my clear number one. But at this point Bill B can sit on the sidelines in a recliner being served Martinis by Seahawk cheerleaders and he's going into the Hall of Fame. Only motivation I can see for him is winning a SB without Brady as head coach.

3. Vrabel: From the Patriots system. Builds from the lines. Hard nose coach. Has made the playoffs and competed. Not sure he can develop a QB as he never really did in Tennessee. We know he likes to run the ball like Pete.

4. Quinn: Another build from the lines head coach. Not sure how good he is at QB development. He hade Kyle Shanahan as his OC and as we know now Kyle Shanahan is a hell of an O-coordinator and coach. Did make a Super Bowl and turnaround a not so great Falcons team. May be better second time as head coach if his coordinators are good.

5. Every other coordinator out there: No idea how they will do. First time head coaches are first time head coaches. They could either turn out to be the next Holmgren or or McVay or they could be a Hackett or any other coordinator that got their HC chance and did nothing. Somehow to some folks this seems less risky than Harbaugh. Why? I don't know. Seems a hell of a lot more risky to me than a guy that has proven nothing but able to win anywhere he goes and coach all aspects of the game from top to bottom whether it is developing an offense to fit a QBs talents or making sure the defense plays at a high level.

But what do I know? I'm a full of it poster not bothering to look at resumes or accomplishments of head coaching candidates because I'm not looking to be friends or have some vicarious respect relationship with my head coach. I just want a head coach I know can build a great team, coach them up to win, and do everything in their power to get that SB trophy. For me only Jim Harbaugh fits that profile and I give a flying crap about his weird talk at the podium or his politics.

I wish Schneider and Jody would take a real run at Harbaugh because that is what Seattle fans are used to: the very best possible head coach ownership can get here.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:14 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I wish Schneider and Jody would take a real run at Harbaugh because that is what Seattle fans are used to: the very best possible head coach ownership can get here.

You really need to get over your obsession with Hairball. He's not going to be the next Seahawks coach. Get used to it.

Rumor is that a deal with Harbaugh and the Chargers is all but done:

Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh is reportedly "within striking distance" of reaching a deal with the Los Angeles Chargers.

NFL Network reporter Mike Garafolo said Tuesday, "We're now in the zone where something could happen between the Chargers and Jim Harbaugh in the near future," as the two sides are set to meet for a second time.

Garafolo also added the Chargers have made an extremely strong financial offer to Harbaugh and are at the point where they are discussing staffing issues like who the general manager might be and who would join Harbaugh on the coaching staff.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-BB1h8YlX
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby govandals » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:52 am

I want an offensive minded coach. I've been reading a lot about offensive head coaches and QB partnerships, and I'm sold on that's the way to go in today's game. If we hire a defensive guy and he brings in a great OC, we will probably lose that OC to head coaching position in a year or two. The worst thing for a QB, especially a young QB, is constantly changing the scheme/playbook. The QB position is the most important position in all sports. We need stability there. Pairing a young offensive minded Head Coach with a young QB is the way to go. Give me Ben Johnson, Bobby Slowik or even Mike Kafka.
govandals
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum