Seahawks Next Head Coach

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Seahawks Next Head Coach

Postby Agent 86 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:41 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I'd say it's 90% still gonna be Quinn (most likely) or Vrabel (I hope).

I read yesterday that Quinn is set for his 2nd in person interview with the Commanders next week so they are definitely interested in him. He also had the initial virtual interview, so it's really a 3rd interview which means they like him.

Also read that Ben Johnson is high on their list, some saying a foregone conclusion the job is his if he wants it, so who knows.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:52 pm

Agent 86 wrote:Also read that Ben Johnson is high on their list, some saying a foregone conclusion the job is his if he wants it, so who knows.

Johnson might end up with the Commanders. Here's why:

He's an east coast guy, went to high school in North Carolina, was a backup QB for UNC from which he graduated from. The Commanders are a hop, skip, and a jump from home.

North Carolina is the home to one of the most sought-after quarterbacks in this year's draft, Drake Maye, projected to be a top 5 pick. The Commanders have the #2 overall pick.

So there's a very good chance that the Commanders job could be very attractive for him as he'd be a 5 hour drive from home and would potentially be coaching one of the best QB prospects, a player from his alma mater.

That could be why the Commanders haven't made a move on a head coach yet.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:17 pm

RiverDog wrote:Johnson might end up with the Commanders. Here's why:

He's an east coast guy, went to high school in North Carolina, was a backup QB for UNC from which he graduated from. The Commanders are a hop, skip, and a jump from home.

North Carolina is the home to one of the most sought-after quarterbacks in this year's draft, Drake Maye, projected to be a top 5 pick. The Commanders have the #2 overall pick.

So there's a very good chance that the Commanders job could be very attractive for him as he'd be a 5 hour drive from home and would potentially be coaching one of the best QB prospects, a player from his alma mater.

Aah, thanks for the info Riv, I didn't know any of that. But makes sense. They seem to be holding out for him but Quinn seems to have also piqued their interest.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:59 pm

RiverDog wrote:Johnson might end up with the Commanders. Here's why:

Agent 86 wrote:Aah, thanks for the info Riv, I didn't know any of that. But makes sense. They seem to be holding out for him but Quinn seems to have also piqued their interest.

Quinn should be pretty much a known quantity to the Commanders almost as much as he is to us as they play in the same division, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to wait to pull the trigger if he's the one they want. But why go through the interviews if their target is Johnson? Who are they trying to be coy with? Or, is it Quinn who's hedging? Does he have an offer from us and is trying to use it as leverage for more money out of the Commanders?

Quite the mystery.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:59 am

Well Holmgren told Softy he thinks Schneider wants to hire Ben Johnson. Maybe both teams do. I'd still rather have Vrabel or Quinn. Sometime your second choice is the better choice anyway. Kinda like wives ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:03 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Well Holmgren told Softy he thinks Schneider wants to hire Ben Johnson. Maybe both teams do. I'd still rather have Vrabel or Quinn. Sometime your second choice is the better choice anyway. Kinda like wives ...

Holmgren advised Schneider to take an offensive guy for the HC position (big surprise, huh?), so he might be expressing some wishful thinking or making the assumption that Schneider actually listens to him.

We'll see what happens after the results of the games tomorrow. If the Lions and/or the Ravens lose, we might hear something early next week.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:36 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Well Holmgren told Softy he thinks Schneider wants to hire Ben Johnson. Maybe both teams do. I'd still rather have Vrabel or Quinn. Sometime your second choice is the better choice anyway. Kinda like wives ...

Wait, I'm still on #1.....what are you trying to tell me here CBob?? :lol:

Johnson makes sense, goes back to what govandals said, tying an Offensive head coach to a young QB so as not to lose that relationship if it's an OC instead of a head coach where the OC gets poached later on.

That being said, I think I want Macdonald a little more than Johnson, give me that hard nose defense that's hard to score on. In the end, I don't know squat about these guys so whoever they hire I will probably be excited. I think the only one they could hire that wouldn't excite me is Quinn at this point.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:42 pm

Agent 86 wrote:Wait, I'm still on #1.....what are you trying to tell me here CBob?? :lol:

Johnson makes sense, goes back to what govandals said, tying an Offensive head coach to a young QB so as not to lose that relationship if it's an OC instead of a head coach where the OC gets poached later on.

That being said, I think I want Macdonald a little more than Johnson, give me that hard nose defense that's hard to score on. In the end, I don't know squat about these guys so whoever they hire I will probably be excited. I think the only one they could hire that wouldn't excite me is Quinn at this point.

Yeah, Quinn feels too much like Pete 201. I know that it's just one game, but that wild card game against the Packers really concerned me, especially after I read an article that likened what LeFleur does with McVay.

If we're going to go with a defensive minded coach, I'd rather go with Vrabel. But I get the feeling that we've moved away from him, too.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:20 pm

Also, it’s not just one game. The 49ers absolutely destroyed Dallas in their meeting this year. From what I saw, most good offenses did the same. I agree with River, Quinn is Pete 201. If we wanted him he would’ve been hired.

Also, MacDonald actually might still happen: https://x.com/jfowlerespn/status/175139 ... pMkhpLC7ng
Patience can be a very good thing.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:35 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:... Kinda like wives ...

Agent 86 wrote:Wait, I'm still on #1.....what are you trying to tell me here CBob?? :lol:

Wife #1 lasted 7 months, #2 approaching 40 years and counting.*

* My experience may not be indicative of your results
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:35 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Wife #1 lasted 7 months, #2 approaching 40 years and counting.*

Man, that is seriously awesome, almost 40 years. Quite the contrast from 7 months, glad you found the one and happiness for that long Cbob, I think we can all agree in here that is one lucky woman!
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:56 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Wife #1 lasted 7 months, #2 approaching 40 years and counting.*

Agent 86 wrote:Man, that is seriously awesome, almost 40 years. Quite the contrast from 7 months, glad you found the one and happiness for that long Cbob, I think we can all agree in here that is one lucky woman!

10-4 on that!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:18 pm

Why thanks guys! I'd say we both got lucky!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:54 pm

Watching the Ravens offense not do much and commit turnovers in the end zone is a tough watch for Ravens fans. It’s 6 mins left in the 4th and it all but seems this game is closing out on the Ravens. However, what I am liking is this Raven’s defense is keeping the Chiefs under 20 and just watching excellent tackling in the open field. Ravens lose this game, I would be very excited if the Hawks nab Mike MacDonald. He is doing his job.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:14 pm

Ball game. Let’s get that interview in John!
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:40 am

Ben Johnson...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:36 pm

mykc14 wrote:Ben Johnson...

I would be happy with Ben Johnson, Bobby Slowick, and Mike MacDonald. I prefer to go younger and give a young and up and coming coordinator their shot.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:45 pm

Now I'm hearing that Pete told John that he was ready to retire at the end of this season but that he wanted to stay on in some capacity but then at the end had a change of heart and wanted to remain as HC, at which time he was told it was too late.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:06 pm

If I'm hiring a head coach, I'm looking for the following:

1. Can assess and develop talent
2. Can develop a QB or knows an OC they can bring on that can develop an OC
3. Who do they know? Meaning what OCs, DCs, and other coaches can they bring to help them succeed.
4. How well the units they coach perform
5. Who did they learn from? Mentors. Do they get a solid review from their mentors?
6. How driven are they to win. Will they do everything in their power to win. Do they eat, drink, and sleep football. You are competing against the very best in the world, no time for anything but full effort all the time.
7. How much do they know about both sides of the ball? Game analysis, ability to make adjustments. ability to build a quality game plan, and overall football knowledge.

A lot of things to look at when vetting head coaches. I'm almost hoping John has some surprise pick from the college coaching ranks that might shock everyone. I'm not sure how well any of these coordinators do. None of them excite me. A bunch of coin flips with head coaches getting their first shot and the majority of coordinators that move up to the head coach position fail unless they are inheriting a super team like George Seifert in Frisco or Tom Flores with the Raiders. If you pick the right coordinator like a Belichick or a Holmgren, then you got something. But even Holmgren has one Super Bowl for his 20 plus years of NFL head coaching and he was one of the better coordinator transitions to head coach.

This move has a very high chance of being a complete failure. All these candidates have a very high chance of doing nothing but wasting the young talent we have now for 3 to 5 years until we start over again. If we didn't have a plan for a high value head coach in place with Pete being pushed, not even sure why we did it.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:52 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:If I'm hiring a head coach, I'm looking for the following:

1. Can assess and develop talent
2. Can develop a QB or knows an OC they can bring on that can develop an OC
3. Who do they know? Meaning what OCs, DCs, and other coaches can they bring to help them succeed.
4. How well the units they coach perform
5. Who did they learn from? Mentors. Do they get a solid review from their mentors?
6. How driven are they to win. Will they do everything in their power to win. Do they eat, drink, and sleep football. You are competing against the very best in the world, no time for anything but full effort all the time.
7. How much do they know about both sides of the ball? Game analysis, ability to make adjustments. ability to build a quality game plan, and overall football knowledge.

A lot of things to look at when vetting head coaches. I'm almost hoping John has some surprise pick from the college coaching ranks that might shock everyone. I'm not sure how well any of these coordinators do. None of them excite me. A bunch of coin flips with head coaches getting their first shot and the majority of coordinators that move up to the head coach position fail unless they are inheriting a super team like George Seifert in Frisco or Tom Flores with the Raiders. If you pick the right coordinator like a Belichick or a Holmgren, then you got something. But even Holmgren has one Super Bowl for his 20 plus years of NFL head coaching and he was one of the better coordinator transitions to head coach.

This move has a very high chance of being a complete failure. All these candidates have a very high chance of doing nothing but wasting the young talent we have now for 3 to 5 years until we start over again. If we didn't have a plan for a high value head coach in place with Pete being pushed, not even sure why we did it.

No way do I want anyone from the college ranks, and fortunately, there are none that are under consideration. And before you say it, yes, Pete Carroll came from the colleges and was wildly successful. But if you look at his resume, the lion's share of his overall coaching experience was in the NFL. That's not the case with the current top college coaches, like Lincoln Riley of USC of whose name I've heard tossed around. Riley hasn't so much as set foot in an NFL locker room as a player or a coach. You'd be hiring another Urban Meyer.

As far as having a plan for replacing Pete, we had a plan when Holmgren left, and we all know how that one turned out. I'm comfortable with how John is going about the process.

With both the Ravens and Lions losing yesterday, we should hear something soon, perhaps by the end of this week.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:31 pm

RiverDog wrote:No way do I want anyone from the college ranks, and fortunately, there are none that are under consideration. And before you say it, yes, Pete Carroll came from the colleges and was wildly successful. But if you look at his resume, the lion's share of his overall coaching experience was in the NFL. That's not the case with the current top college coaches, like Lincoln Riley of USC of whose name I've heard tossed around. Riley hasn't so much as set foot in an NFL locker room as a player or a coach. You'd be hiring another Urban Meyer.

As far as having a plan for replacing Pete, we had a plan when Holmgren left, and we all know how that one turned out. I'm comfortable with how John is going about the process.

With both the Ravens and Lions losing yesterday, we should hear something soon, perhaps by the end of this week.

That was Ruskell's BS power move to push Holmgren out. Same as Trent Baalke pushed out Harbaugh and the 49ers went into a pit of failure until Shanahan was hired.

I personally wonder how much of this move to oust Pete was planned out. Probably not much at all. Just a big push out with no plan other than John doing some search with an owner that muddling along without a clear idea of how to build a winning team.

I don't see any of these head coaching prospects being worth hiring. I hope John finds someone more exciting. Vrabel and Quinn at least have head coaching experience. These others, I wonder if they even want to be head coaches or have a plan for it.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:28 am

RiverDog wrote:No way do I want anyone from the college ranks, and fortunately, there are none that are under consideration. And before you say it, yes, Pete Carroll came from the colleges and was wildly successful. But if you look at his resume, the lion's share of his overall coaching experience was in the NFL. That's not the case with the current top college coaches, like Lincoln Riley of USC of whose name I've heard tossed around. Riley hasn't so much as set foot in an NFL locker room as a player or a coach. You'd be hiring another Urban Meyer.

Aseahawkfan wrote:That was Ruskell's BS power move to push Holmgren out. Same as Trent Baalke pushed out Harbaugh and the 49ers went into a pit of failure until Shanahan was hired.

I personally wonder how much of this move to oust Pete was planned out. Probably not much at all. Just a big push out with no plan other than John doing some search with an owner that muddling along without a clear idea of how to build a winning team.

I don't see any of these head coaching prospects being worth hiring. I hope John finds someone more exciting. Vrabel and Quinn at least have head coaching experience. These others, I wonder if they even want to be head coaches or have a plan for it.

Most of the Mora hiring was Ruskell's, but Paul Allen had to sign off on it, and rarely did he grant complete authority on decisions like that.

My point was that unless a team has a heir apparent on their staff as we did with Ruskell and the Niners did with Seifert when Walsh retired, most teams do not have a well thought out plan in place when they fire a coach. I'm sure that they play a 'what if' mental game with themselves from time to time, but they don't know exactly who might want to come here and who would be available. No one's going to conduct a search during the season while everyone's busy.

I don't know much about these particular candidates, and neither do you or anyone else. This isn't like a player who is a free agent or a college prospect where there's a well-documented book on them for everyone to see. So much of what makes a good coach goes on behind the scenes, and Johnson and McDonald are complete mysteries to us. But I do know some coaches, like Harbaugh, and some types of coaches that I don't want, like college coaches with little or no NFL experience, simply because there's a track record on them and the differences between the two sports are well known.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:50 am

Ben Johnson reportedly interviewed yesterday, which was his 2nd one with the Seahawks. Honestly, that's gotta be a bit tough to interview a day after the loss, he would have such mixed emotions.

Mike Macdonald reportedly interviews today, which will be his initial one with the Seahawks.

2nd interviews already reportedly conducted were with Patrick Graham, Mike Kafka, Dan Quinn, and Ejiro Evero. Nothing reported about Vrabel.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:57 am

Ben Johnson out. Staying with Lions per Adam Schefter-X……
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:09 am

Yup, just saw that. Here's the article:

Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson has informed the Washington Commanders and Seattle Seahawks that he's staying in Detroit, per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

https://sports.yahoo.com/lions-oc-ben-j ... 25804.html
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:30 am

curmudgeon wrote:Ben Johnson out. Staying with Lions per Adam Schefter-X……

Lol, I literally had typed out in my post this morning about this very thing, but then decided not to post it. Unfinished business and wait for another/better opportunity next year when you know there will be openings. I don't blame him in the least, I actually commend it. Good for him for sticking around and showing loyalty and wanting to finish the job off. Hopefully his head coach learned a lesson on Sunday. If he seriously doesn't regret his decisions once it's all digested, then that is a problem IMO.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:14 pm

curmudgeon wrote:Ben Johnson out. Staying with Lions per Adam Schefter-X……

Agent 86 wrote:Lol, I literally had typed out in my post this morning about this very thing, but then decided not to post it. Unfinished business and wait for another/better opportunity next year when you know there will be openings. I don't blame him in the least, I actually commend it. Good for him for sticking around and showing loyalty and wanting to finish the job off. Hopefully his head coach learned a lesson on Sunday. If he seriously doesn't regret his decisions once it's all digested, then that is a problem IMO.

Agreed. It could be one of those "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." If you like your job and it's putting bread on the table, why take a promotion and a completely different, mostly unknown position? Like you, I respect the guy for his decision.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:44 pm

RiverDog wrote:Agreed. It could be one of those "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." If you like your job and it's putting bread on the table, why take a promotion and a completely different, mostly unknown position? Like you, I respect the guy for his decision.

I don't want a guy who isn't 100% committed to being a head coach anyway. Lukewarm head coaches don't succeed. That's why you can't be at all sure about any of the coordinators because you have no idea whether they're taking a shot because someone offered or they're goal is to be a great head coach building a team from the ground up like a Pete or Holmgren or Jim Harbaugh. Successful head coaches are driven like mad to be head coaches and it's what they want and they wait for those opportunities and keep trying for them.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:58 pm

RiverDog wrote:Most of the Mora hiring was Ruskell's, but Paul Allen had to sign off on it, and rarely did he grant complete authority on decisions like that.

My point was that unless a team has a heir apparent on their staff as we did with Ruskell and the Niners did with Seifert when Walsh retired, most teams do not have a well thought out plan in place when they fire a coach. I'm sure that they play a 'what if' mental game with themselves from time to time, but they don't know exactly who might want to come here and who would be available. No one's going to conduct a search during the season while everyone's busy.

I don't know much about these particular candidates, and neither do you or anyone else. This isn't like a player who is a free agent or a college prospect where there's a well-documented book on them for everyone to see. So much of what makes a good coach goes on behind the scenes, and Johnson and McDonald are complete mysteries to us. But I do know some coaches, like Harbaugh, and some types of coaches that I don't want, like college coaches with little or no NFL experience, simply because there's a track record on them and the differences between the two sports are well known.

Horsecrap. We know plenty about them and how their units perform and what their coaching experience is. It is just like a player or prospects where you can vet their resume and hire them based on performance. You're the only one that thinks a mystery is better than a proven performer like Jim Harbaugh. Hiring a head coach is no different than any other type of job in that you want a candidate with a strong resume of proven performance, a bunch of recommendations, and a clear and proven plan for being a head coach. This isn't as much of a mystery as you seem to want to think it is.

You didn't want Harbaugh for purely personal reasons you don't want to admit to. I don't have any interest in listening to your claims otherwise. You and c-bob didn't want Jim Harbaugh because you personally don't like man.

He's a better coach than any of these candidates and it will show up on the field. Jim Harbaugh is a better coach than Mike MacDonald, Ben Johnson, Mike Vrabel, or Dan Quinn. The guy checks all the boxes for what you want in a head coach other than I guess likeable by certain members of the fan base who want to have coach they I guess have to like.

Man has developed multiple QBs. Knows how to build an offense. Knows how to motivate a team. Knows how to manage a defense. Has good coaching contacts for his team. Even Mike MacDonald coached for Jim Harbaugh as his DC before coming back to Baltimore. Jim Harbaugh is a hell of a head coach. The fact you think he's some kind of risky mystery is more a testament to your inability to see a quality head coach over your personal biases. I got no time for that trash thinking while you're claiming a rational decision making process for a head coach out of the other side of your mouth when that isn't a congruent with a winning philosophy which would cause one to want the best head coach available. That's what I want.

So after Harbaugh, the next tier based on resume is Dan Quinn or Vrabel. Then someone like a Mike MacDonald or a coordinator with a good track record for coaching units, developing talent, and performance. It isn't a mystery. You can pretend you don't know much about these folks because you don't base your assessments on performance, but I'm going to be looking at the coaching history of any hire we have and basing my excitement based on the performance of their units, their coaching tree, and if no head coaching experience just having to trust that John has thoroughly vetted their plan and ability to make the next step up to being a head coach.

That's how you hire someone. Not walking around pretending these things are mysteries or unknowns, but the same way you'd hire a good employee or manager at any job: a resume with proven coaching experience with recommendations.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:35 pm

Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:40 pm

Slowik gets new deal with Houston……
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:35 pm

It's sounding like we'll get a defensive minded HC: Mike McDonald, Dan Quinn, or Mike Vrabel. I choose the latter.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:04 pm

Haven’t even interviewed Vrabel. There’s some murmurs on Twitter tonight that it’s Mike MacDonald. My preference by far at this point..
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:12 am

Stream Hawk wrote:Haven’t even interviewed Vrabel. There’s some murmurs on Twitter tonight that it’s Mike MacDonald. My preference by far at this point..

Yeah, probably just wishful thinking on my part and should probably be listed as a sleeper candidate. But JS may feel that he knows Vrabel well enough that he doesn't have to conduct a formal interview and may have been talking to him directly in the back channels. If Johnson was their #1 guy, his dropping out could shake things up.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:33 am

Apparently, Mike McDonald is in Seattle today for his 2nd interview and John Schneider, currently at the Senior Bowl, has suddenly decided to drop what he was doing and fly back to the office. Schneider regards Senior Bowl week as an important part of the pre-draft process, and it's no short hop from Birmingham to Seattle. Could it be that an announcement of the hiring of McDonald as our next head coach is brewing, maybe this afternoon or tomorrow morning?

For the second time in 24 hours, the Seattle Seahawks will meet with Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald about their head coaching vacancy, this time bringing him to the VMAC for an on-site visit.

Initially reported by NFL Network insider Tom Pelissero and confirmed to All Seahawks by multiple sources, after meeting with team brass in Baltimore on Tuesday, the Seahawks flew Macdonald into town for a second interview on Wednesday morning. While team chair Jody Allen and general manager John Schneider may simply be doing their due diligence, meeting twice in such a quick fashion indicates mutual interest in hashing out a deal.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/se ... r-BB1hyCdr

It’s official John Schneider has landed the Seahawks Private Jet at the Boeing Plant in Seattle. Hopefully we get some HC News shortly.

https://twitter.com/PrinceTy1_/status/1 ... _&ref_url=
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:57 am

RiverDog wrote:Apparently, Mike McDonald is in Seattle today for his 2nd interview and John Schneider, currently at the Senior Bowl, has suddenly decided to drop what he was doing and fly back to the office. Schneider regards Senior Bowl week as an important part of the pre-draft process, and it's no short hop from Birmingham to Seattle. Could it be that an announcement of the hiring of McDonald as our next head coach is brewing, maybe this afternoon or tomorrow morning?

For the second time in 24 hours, the Seattle Seahawks will meet with Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald about their head coaching vacancy, this time bringing him to the VMAC for an on-site visit.

Initially reported by NFL Network insider Tom Pelissero and confirmed to All Seahawks by multiple sources, after meeting with team brass in Baltimore on Tuesday, the Seahawks flew Macdonald into town for a second interview on Wednesday morning. While team chair Jody Allen and general manager John Schneider may simply be doing their due diligence, meeting twice in such a quick fashion indicates mutual interest in hashing out a deal.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/se ... r-BB1hyCdr

It’s official John Schneider has landed the Seahawks Private Jet at the Boeing Plant in Seattle. Hopefully we get some HC News shortly.

https://twitter.com/PrinceTy1_/status/1 ... _&ref_url=

Woah! Things are heating up. Although I know not much about him, Macdonald was the guy I was kinda hoping for the most based on what I read.

Thanks for the update Riv, I will be checking here for updates throughout the day.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:34 am

It seems like it's going to Mike Macdonald. John Schneider doesn't leave the Senior Bowl to interview him in Seattle, after just meeting with him yesterday, unless you are prepared to hire him. So unless Macdonald get here, takes a look around, and decides he doesn't want the job he will be our next Head Coach. I am very happy with this hire, although was hoping for Ben Johnson this would have been my second pick (although I would have been happy with Slowik as well). Now we need a dynamic OC. Normally I would be interested in brining in somebody from his previous team (the Ravens) but in this case they have such a unique guy at QB I think that would be difficult to reproduce here, although I do kind of fear that is exactly what he will do. I would love somebody from Kyle Shanahan's coaching tree? Do the niners or Dolphins have a QB coach or passing game coordinator who is available? Maybe The Lions have a QB coach/passing game coordinator available? If we can't get Ben Johnson maybe we can get somebody who knows his system? Another guy I would like would be Mike Kafka. He is from Andy Reid's coaching tree and is in a weird coaching situation with the Giants.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:40 am

At 36, McDonald would be the youngest HC in the league, so we'd be going from the oldest HC to the youngest, baby boomer to millennial.

Apparently, the players and coaches love him. He also should have some good insights into the college talent as he was Michigan's DC in 2021 and coached at UGA from 2011-13. Plus, being one of the few defensive head coaches, there should be plenty of candidates for the OC position as they'd have a lot more control over the offense than they would as OC for a team like the Chargers.

He may not be my favorite, but I can think of a lot worse hires.
Last edited by RiverDog on Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:46 am

mykc14 wrote:It seems like it's going to Mike Macdonald. John Schneider doesn't leave the Senior Bowl to interview him in Seattle, after just meeting with him yesterday, unless you are prepared to hire him.

Yeah, and that ain't no short hop from Birmingham to Seattle, over 4.5 hours.

I also heard that they flew McDonald's family out with him, too.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:04 am

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, and that ain't no short hop from Birmingham to Seattle, over 4.5 hours.

I also heard that they flew McDonald's family out with him, too.

I didn't hear that, but it makes sense. Hopefully they don't mind the rain!
mykc14
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum