Seahawks Next Head Coach

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Seahawks Next Head Coach

Postby Oly » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:38 am

govandals wrote:I want an offensive minded coach. I've been reading a lot about offensive head coaches and QB partnerships, and I'm sold on that's the way to go in today's game. If we hire a defensive guy and he brings in a great OC, we will probably lose that OC to head coaching position in a year or two. The worst thing for a QB, especially a young QB, is constantly changing the scheme/playbook. The QB position is the most important position in all sports. We need stability there. Pairing a young offensive minded Head Coach with a young QB is the way to go. Give me Ben Johnson, Bobby Slowik or even Mike Kafka.

Exactly where I'm at, for the same reasons.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:48 pm

This one has been bugging me for 2 weeks now, and finally an answer as to why Mike Macdonald hasn't interviewed yet with the Seahawks. All about timing, I think he is still in the mix, although if the Ravens win this weekend, it pushes the timeline way down the road. Not sure how patient JS will be in waiting that long, especially if one of the known candidates makes a great impression on him.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/1/24/24049283/why-seattle-seahawks-havent-interviewed-ravens-defensive-coordinator-mike-macdonald-nfl-news
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:44 pm

Agent 86 wrote:This one has been bugging me for 2 weeks now, and finally an answer as to why Mike Macdonald hasn't interviewed yet with the Seahawks. All about timing, I think he is still in the mix, although if the Ravens win this weekend, it pushes the timeline way down the road. Not sure how patient JS will be in waiting that long, especially if one of the known candidates makes a great impression on him.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/1/24/24049283/why-seattle-seahawks-havent-interviewed-ravens-defensive-coordinator-mike-macdonald-nfl-news

I think Macdonald has a 0% probability of being a candidate. As a coordinator, he wouldn't have a ready-made staff on Day 1. So think of the time it would take to first get a staff and then start looking towards the draft. This team needs a QB, and hitting that pick is the most important thing a coach can do for not getting fired early into their contract. Macdonald would have very little time to get a staff together and then start scouting. It's a shame, but I think the calendar just doesn't work.
Oly
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:00 pm

Yay! Hairball is officially no longer in this conversation!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:20 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Yay! Hairball is officially no longer in this conversation!

Good! No need to hear about Harbaugh anymore.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby govandals » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:40 pm

For that organization, Harbaugh is a homerun.
govandals
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:02 pm

govandals wrote:I want an offensive minded coach. I've been reading a lot about offensive head coaches and QB partnerships, and I'm sold on that's the way to go in today's game. If we hire a defensive guy and he brings in a great OC, we will probably lose that OC to head coaching position in a year or two. The worst thing for a QB, especially a young QB, is constantly changing the scheme/playbook. The QB position is the most important position in all sports. We need stability there. Pairing a young offensive minded Head Coach with a young QB is the way to go. Give me Ben Johnson, Bobby Slowik or even Mike Kafka.

Oly wrote:I think Macdonald has a 0% probability of being a candidate. As a coordinator, he wouldn't have a ready-made staff on Day 1. So think of the time it would take to first get a staff and then start looking towards the draft. This team needs a QB, and hitting that pick is the most important thing a coach can do for not getting fired early into their contract. Macdonald would have very little time to get a staff together and then start scouting. It's a shame, but I think the calendar just doesn't work.

These are really excellent points by both of you, made me re-think things about Macdonald as a hire.

Guess my #1 choice now would be Ben Johnson if we go young and OC, and then Vrabel if we go with experience. Although Johnson would fall under the criteria that Oly laid out above.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:19 am

Well, he was only in one person's conversation. Better send someone over to ASF's place and make sure the upstairs windows are locked.

The Los Angeles Chargers have hired Jim Harbaugh as the team’s new head coach, the team announced Wednesday.

The move comes after Harbaugh spent nine seasons coaching his alma mater, the University of Michigan, where he led the Wolverines to a College Football Playoff national championship earlier this month.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/24/spor ... index.html
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:37 am

To add to the Hairball story, there was some unsubstantiated rumors that Pete was interested in that gig:

Former Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll "is making a behind-the-scenes push for consideration" to be the Bolts' next head coach, according to ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio.

It's no surprise Carroll is interested in coaching the Chargers. His friend and recording artist Snoop Dogg revealed to Fox Sports that the former Seahawks head coach "wanted to go to the Chargers."

"That's what he wanted," Snoop said. "But I don't know if they want him."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/101 ... baugh-buzz

So Pete's no longer in the mix (not sure if he ever was) and Belichick to the Falcons fizzled yesterday, too. It's noteworthy that despite both of them expressing interest in coaching again and there being plenty of openings, no one wants them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:09 am

Pete should get a TV gig. Why coach with all the headaches at 72 years? He would be better than most on NFL programs.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:05 am

Uppercut wrote:Pete should get a TV gig. Why coach with all the headaches at 72 years? He would be better than most on NFL programs.

I'm not sure if he could quit chewing gum long enough.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:50 am

Oly wrote:I think Macdonald has a 0% probability of being a candidate. As a coordinator, he wouldn't have a ready-made staff on Day 1. So think of the time it would take to first get a staff and then start looking towards the draft. This team needs a QB, and hitting that pick is the most important thing a coach can do for not getting fired early into their contract. Macdonald would have very little time to get a staff together and then start scouting. It's a shame, but I think the calendar just doesn't work.

I have to respectfully disagree. I think MacDonald would be an excellent choice. These things move pretty quick once a coordinator has finished a Superbowl run. This gives me a lot of hope that Mike Macdonald is a candidate to be our HC because they have not hired anyone as of yet. This also could be said for Ben Johnson as well, which I would be excited for also. I know that we have interviewed multiple candidates and have not pulled the trigger so something tells me that MacDonald and Johnson are still targets.

Look at Arizona Cardinals they hired Jonathan Gannon right after the Eagles lost the SB, and they filled their staff with in a week. There will be plenty of time to assemble a staff and prepare for the next season if we pluck one of these SB coordinators.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:26 pm

It looks like the Panthers have decided on their next HC:

The Carolina Panthers have agreed to hire Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Dave Canales as their new head coach, according to two people familiar with the situation.

Canales has informed the Buccaneers that he is taking the job, although there are still details that need to be finalized before the move is announced, according to the people who spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday on condition of anonymity.

Canales will be the seventh head coach since owner David Tepper took over as owner in 2018. He inherits a Panthers team that went 2-15 last season and does not have a first-round draft pick in 2024.

The move leaves three teams still looking for a head coach — the Falcons, Seahawks and Commanders.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory ... -106679553

I think that 4X might be right, that our seemingly being a little slow in naming a head coach could mean that we have a verbal commitment with one of the coaches still involved in the playoffs, ie Ben Johnson and Mike McDonald.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:10 pm

Uppercut wrote:Pete should get a TV gig. Why coach with all the headaches at 72 years? He would be better than most on NFL programs.

Let's be observant here, Pete is not your average 72 year old. I envy his energy at his age, and he certainly is better shape than most guys 20 + years younger than him. I could actually see him coaching again for another 3 to 4 years.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:57 pm

Corbin K. Smith on the Seahawks coaching search from his article on All Seahawks (SI .Com)
If Seattle's coaching search functioned like the NFL draft, Schneider and Allen would have all of their names still available on the big board.
None of the coaches hired in the past week by other teams were interviewed or even mentioned as a target of interest, putting them in outstanding position to hire the best candidate from their short list of coaches. In other words, they can have their pick of the litter.
Making the situation even better, the Seahawks have now vetted several potential offensive and defensive coordinator candidates who could join the new head coach's staff if they don't land the position, which would be a major win for the organization.
With just three coaching spots left to fill, all eyes will be on the Seahawks to see how long they are willing to wait things out to court Johnson or Macdonald.
Or if Schneider and Allen won't need to wait any longer with a candidate such as Quinn or Morris impressing in second interviews and receiving a job offer in the near future. Or if someone such as Vrabel vaults back into the mix and steals the gig.
Either way, all of Seattle's cards remain in play, which should make for a fascinating next few weeks as the franchise decides who will succeed Carroll and carry the franchise into a new era.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:28 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Corbin K. Smith on the Seahawks coaching search from his article on All Seahawks (SI .Com)

If Seattle's coaching search functioned like the NFL draft, Schneider and Allen would have all of their names still available on the big board.
None of the coaches hired in the past week by other teams were interviewed or even mentioned as a target of interest, putting them in outstanding position to hire the best candidate from their short list of coaches. In other words, they can have their pick of the litter.
Making the situation even better, the Seahawks have now vetted several potential offensive and defensive coordinator candidates who could join the new head coach's staff if they don't land the position, which would be a major win for the organization.
With just three coaching spots left to fill, all eyes will be on the Seahawks to see how long they are willing to wait things out to court Johnson or Macdonald.
Or if Schneider and Allen won't need to wait any longer with a candidate such as Quinn or Morris impressing in second interviews and receiving a job offer in the near future. Or if someone such as Vrabel vaults back into the mix and steals the gig.
Either way, all of Seattle's cards remain in play, which should make for a fascinating next few weeks as the franchise decides who will succeed Carroll and carry the franchise into a new era.

I guess in a nutshell everyone still remains a target. I believe this is the best process, take the appropriate time to make the right decision. Even if Vrabel or Quinn are at the top of the list, it would be incumbent to at least interview Johnson and MacDonald. If this stretches all the way up to the SB, most would only assume that the Hawks, Falcons, and Commanders are all doing the same thing. Assuming Panthers finalize there deal with Canales. I do believe MacDonald and Johnson will be HCs once this run is over. With the Hawks? Time will tell but those two young coordinators know they are hot commodities.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:09 pm

Well at this rate it just leaves the Commanders and Hawks with vacant HC jobs. Looks like Falcons are getting Raheem Morris. Good for him, seems like he is much more mature this time around and should do well with the Falcons.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:42 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Corbin K. Smith on the Seahawks coaching search from his article on All Seahawks (SI .Com)

Atlanta - Morris
Carolina - Canales
Las Vegas - Pierce
Los Angeles Chargers - Harbaugh
Tennessee - Callahan
New England - Mayo
Seattle - ?
Washington - ?

Indeed, it's looking nice that JS will get someone he truly wants. Morris is the only one gone that I heard was in for an interview. With Vrabel, Johnson, and Macdonald all still available, I am liking the chances of one of those 3 getting the gig in Seattle.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:00 pm

Agent 86 wrote:
Atlanta - Morris
Carolina - Canales
Las Vegas - Pierce
Los Angeles Chargers - Harbaugh
Tennessee - Callahan
New England - Mayo
Seattle - ?
Washington - ?

Indeed, it's looking nice that JS will get someone he truly wants. Morris is the only one gone that I heard was in for an interview. With Vrabel, Johnson, and Macdonald all still available, I am liking the chances of one of those 3 getting the gig in Seattle.

The Dave Canales is intriguing to me. He was hired by Pete when he took over the Hawks, which feels like ages ago. Work under multiple OCs, and moved up to QB Coach/Pass Game Coordinator from 2018 to 2022. Geno's break out year is what got Dave Canales on the radar for an OC job with the Bucs. Did very well with Baker Mayfield and the Bucs, and with in that time frame got him a HC job. What a journey for this guy.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:33 pm

Yeah, it looks like we're down to one of three guys: Quinn, who is in Seattle for his 2nd interview today, Johnson or McDonald. But they might surprise us and take Vrabel. I can't believe that everyone will pass on Vrabel. He'll probably ends up with the Commanders.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:47 pm

I have heard that Vrabel is the opposite direction of Pete. Harder on players less fun more Belichick way. Not a fan. I’m dying on my Ben Johnson or MacDonald sword. Yet as many cynics on Twitter keep saying …you know it will end up being DQ after all this. :lol:
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:10 pm

Stream Hawk wrote:I have heard that Vrabel is the opposite direction of Pete. Harder on players less fun more Belichick way. Not a fan. I’m dying on my Ben Johnson or MacDonald sword. Yet as many cynics on Twitter keep saying …you know it will end up being DQ after all this. :lol:

Supposedly, players like Vrabel. Although it wasn't a scientific survey and I think the choices were only coaches at the Pro Bowl, he was voted the most popular amongst Pro Bowl players:

Vrabel Popular With Pro Bowl Players.

The Tennessee Titans' head man was one of the top vote-getters among those asked which coach they would like to play for.

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/tenn ... ayers-vote
Last edited by RiverDog on Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby trents » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:11 pm

No new coach is likely going to produce an instant big jump in team success. It's going to take several years of basement dwelling to accumulate enough draft capital to get the overall team talent level where it needs to be in order to compete at a high level again. What we can expect right away is a head coach who will restore discipline and will make better trade decisions - one who will resist paying too much for tool little resulting in incrementally mortgaging away the future success of the team as Pete (and John) have done.

I also find it interesting that finding a successor for Pete is taking so long. A number of teams have already filled their head coaching vacancies. Is this due to Hawks management wanting to be sure or are they getting turned down by candidates?
trents
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:13 pm

trents wrote:I also find it interesting that finding a successor for Pete is taking so long. A number of teams have already filled their head coaching vacancies. Is this due to Hawks management wanting to be sure or are they getting turned down by candidates?

Two of the candidates most talked about for the Hawks job, ie Ben Johnson, OC of the Lions, and Mike McDonald, DC of the Ravens, are currently coaching teams that are still in the playoffs, and prospective teams cannot sign another team's coach until that team is eliminated. This could explain why it's taking so long.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:18 pm

Congrats to San Diego on getting Harbaugh. He was the best coach of the bunch and a guaranteed Super Bowl competitive team. Smart move by San Diego ownership. As long as they support him and stick by Harbaugh, high chance he takes them to the big game fairly quickly as he doesn't know how to do anything but win wherever he goes and checks every box for what you want in a head coach from QB development to motivation.

Now as I see it Seattle is not the most attractive team for a head coach spot any longer. So we'll have to accept who will come here. Why isn't Seattle attractive?

1. Ownership situation is unclear. They have been trying to signal everything is stable, but no one is sure of the ownership structure or if the team is to be sold or how all that will work. An unclear ownership situation sends a signal to any head coaching candidate that if the team is sold or the ownership changes, then their job might be in question. That is never a pleasant idea for a head coach that takes an indeterminate amount of time to be competitive again.

2. John Schneider is getting one chance to pick a head coach and get this team back on track. That one chance is probably a 2 to 3 year chance. If it fails, he'll be gone in 2 to 3 years along with the head coach he hires. You really have to believe in John Schneider to want to take this job and take your shot with him. Because if he fails, the head coach is going bye bye as well. I hope Schneider is better than Ruskell, but we have no idea how this will go.

So where does that leave us:

Taking a chance on a somewhat known quantity like Dan Quinn or Vrabel hoping they can get back to Super Bowl competitive, not just making the playoffs. They have to be able to do it fairly quickly as Jody Allen has already shown that whoever is advising her isn't waiting a long time for the old regime management to turn this around. They're giving John his shot, which he deserves after being a good soldier for the Pete Carroll Era. But the rope is short and Schneider won't get a chance to make mistakes.

Or take a shot on someone completely new John believes in. The next 2 to 3 years is really all about John Schneider being the big time GM like his mentors. He's earned his shot. He's going to make the best of this opportunity.

If John misses on his shot, we're likely looking at an indefinite period of noncompetitive play and possibly a sale of the team. So a lot is riding on these next two to three years.

I wish John had made a run at his best shot at a quick turnaround with a Super Bowl competitive team with Harbaugh, but Harbaugh has all the cards in his hand right now and likely was heading to San Diego the entire time as he has earned his return to the NFL on his terms this time around to take his shot equaling his brother John Harbaugh.

I'm not confident or sure in any of these other hires. They are all coin flips to me. Could be anything from the next Holmgren or McVay to the next Hackett or Norv Turner. We'll know fairly quick what they will be.

Good luck, John. Take your shot. Surprise us all. See if you can become Ron Wolf or Ozzie Newsome. Hire someone because they are a great coach without worrying about whether they rub fans the wrong way. The job is about winning football games, not being Mr. Popular with the fans.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:53 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, it looks like we're down to one of three guys: Quinn, who is in Seattle for his 2nd interview today, Johnson or McDonald. But they might surprise us and take Vrabel. I can't believe that everyone will pass on Vrabel. He'll probably ends up with the Commanders.

i wouldn't be mad if we got Vrabel, but if Ben Johnson or Mike MacDonald are available I would take either of them over Vrabel. Yes, it's all a risk no matter how we dice it up. Vrabel never truly got his team to the top as I would like to have seen him do. At least Dan Quinn did, but again I do believe Vrabel will definitely be a HC.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:01 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Congrats to San Diego on getting Harbaugh. He was the best coach of the bunch and a guaranteed Super Bowl competitive team. Smart move by San Diego ownership. As long as they support him and stick by Harbaugh, high chance he takes them to the big game fairly quickly as he doesn't know how to do anything but win wherever he goes and checks every box for what you want in a head coach from QB development to motivation.

Whew! Glad to see you're still with us. Did anyone have to talk you off the ledge when the news broke?

Aseahawkfan wrote:Now as I see it Seattle is not the most attractive team for a head coach spot any longer. So we'll have to accept who will come here. Why isn't Seattle attractive?

1. Ownership situation is unclear. They have been trying to signal everything is stable, but no one is sure of the ownership structure or if the team is to be sold or how all that will work. An unclear ownership situation sends a signal to any head coaching candidate that if the team is sold or the ownership changes, then their job might be in question. That is never a pleasant idea for a head coach that takes an indeterminate amount of time to be competitive again.

I'm not sure how much if a difference that's going to make. The Hawks won't be sold before 2025 at the earliest, and it might not happen before the end of the decade.

Aseahawkfan wrote:If John misses on his shot, we're likely looking at an indefinite period of noncompetitive play and possibly a sale of the team. So a lot is riding on these next two to three years.

We were already looking at an indefinite period of noncompetitive play with Pete as our coach, so that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I wish John had made a run at his best shot at a quick turnaround with a Super Bowl competitive team with Harbaugh, but Harbaugh has all the cards in his hand right now and likely was heading to San Diego the entire time as he has earned his return to the NFL on his terms this time around to take his shot equaling his brother John Harbaugh.

Don't be so damn sure about Hairball. The Chargers are in salary cap hell, projected to be $44M over the cap, 2nd worst in the league, and they're going to have to make some tough decisions this offseason. He's taking over a team that was 5-12 last season with very few resources to improve it. They're not flush with draft picks with just their 7 natural picks in the draft. He has his work cut out for him. He's not walking into a set table like he did in 2011 with the Niners.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I'm not confident or sure in any of these other hires. They are all coin flips to me. Could be anything from the next Holmgren or McVay to the next Hackett or Norv Turner. We'll know fairly quick what they will be.

I'm not confident, either. But it's going to be exciting. I was ready for a change, so unlike past seasons, I'm really looking forward to this season. Good, bad, or indifferent, it's the beginning of a new era of Seahawk football. Kinda like the old world mariners setting out for the new world.
Last edited by RiverDog on Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:05 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, it looks like we're down to one of three guys: Quinn, who is in Seattle for his 2nd interview today, Johnson or McDonald. But they might surprise us and take Vrabel. I can't believe that everyone will pass on Vrabel. He'll probably ends up with the Commanders.

4XPIPS wrote:i wouldn't be mad if we got Vrabel, but if Ben Johnson or Mike MacDonald are available I would take either of them over Vrabel. Yes, it's all a risk no matter how we dice it up. Vrabel never truly got his team to the top as I would like to have seen him do. At least Dan Quinn did, but again I do believe Vrabel will definitely be a HC.

I've been wanting a young, 30 something offensive coordinator well before Pete was fired, so I have my heart set on Ben Johnson. My 2nd choice would be Vrabel as I think he's more likely to get the most out of his players. Quinn just seems like Pete 201 to me.

But whoever it is, it'll be nice to see someone else patrolling the sidelines. Not that I didn't like Pete, but it was time for a change.

Edit: Quinn is going in for his 3rd interview with the Commanders "early next week", so it's looking like they're closing in on their prey. We're likely to be Tail End Charlie, which is fine with me so long as someone doesn't poach our prey.
Last edited by RiverDog on Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:12 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Congrats to San Diego on getting Harbaugh. He was the best coach of the bunch and a guaranteed Super Bowl competitive team. Smart move by San Diego ownership. As long as they support him and stick by Harbaugh, high chance he takes them to the big game fairly quickly as he doesn't know how to do anything but win wherever he goes and checks every box for what you want in a head coach from QB development to motivation.

Now as I see it Seattle is not the most attractive team for a head coach spot any longer. So we'll have to accept who will come here. Why isn't Seattle attractive?

2. John Schneider is getting one chance to pick a head coach and get this team back on track. That one chance is probably a 2 to 3 year chance. If it fails, he'll be gone in 2 to 3 years along with the head coach he hires. You really have to believe in John Schneider to want to take this job and take your shot with him. Because if he fails, the head coach is going bye bye as well. I hope Schneider is better than Ruskell, but we have no idea how this will go.

So where does that leave us:

Taking a chance on a somewhat known quantity like Dan Quinn or Vrabel hoping they can get back to Super Bowl competitive, not just making the playoffs. They have to be able to do it fairly quickly as Jody Allen has already shown that whoever is advising her isn't waiting a long time for the old regime management to turn this around. They're giving John his shot, which he deserves after being a good soldier for the Pete Carroll Era. But the rope is short and Schneider won't get a chance to make mistakes.

Or take a shot on someone completely new John believes in. The next 2 to 3 years is really all about John Schneider being the big time GM like his mentors. He's earned his shot. He's going to make the best of this opportunity.

If John misses on his shot, we're likely looking at an indefinite period of noncompetitive play and possibly a sale of the team. So a lot is riding on these next two to three years.

I wish John had made a run at his best shot at a quick turnaround with a Super Bowl competitive team with Harbaugh, but Harbaugh has all the cards in his hand right now and likely was heading to San Diego the entire time as he has earned his return to the NFL on his terms this time around to take his shot equaling his brother John Harbaugh.

I'm not confident or sure in any of these other hires. They are all coin flips to me. Could be anything from the next Holmgren or McVay to the next Hackett or Norv Turner. We'll know fairly quick what they will be.

Good luck, John. Take your shot. Surprise us all. See if you can become Ron Wolf or Ozzie Newsome. Hire someone because they are a great coach without worrying about whether they rub fans the wrong way. The job is about winning football games, not being Mr. Popular with the fans.

And I thought you spoke in facts.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:46 pm

4XPIPS wrote:And I thought you spoke in facts.

I just did. Whether people realize the facts of our situation is irrelevant to me. That is where Seattle stands right now. This is the John Schneider show to sink or swim. His head coach will sink or swim with him.

San Diego easily got the best coach of the bunch.

If in the next five years that should prove wrong, get back to me.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:17 pm

RiverDog wrote:I'm not confident, either. But it's going to be exciting. I was ready for a change, so unlike past seasons, I'm really looking forward to this season. Good, bad, or indifferent, it's the beginning of a new era of Seahawk football. Kinda like the old world mariners setting out for the new world.

Only coach that would have excited me is Harbaugh. Only guaranteed Super Bowl coach in my opinion. Under Paul Allen, that is what I was accustomed to having as a head coach.

My actual feeling on what I think will happen:
1. I don't think John Schneider will pick the next great head coach. I expect to be noncompetitive for the next 2 to 3 years until Schneider is fired along with his head coach choice. If they really crash and burn, then fired even sooner. If we go 4 and 13, I expect a faster move to remove John depending on if John blows the team up. John may get another year if the team is blown up, but given the draft capital the Russell trade netted us, it would be a complete and total failure on the upper management if the team is blown up after a failure of the talent acquired from the Russell Trade. This was a huge trade and if you can't turn the draft capital into something competitive, then the talent acquisition which a GM is responsible for is bad from the top. So we'll see how that goes.

2. If this team isn't competitive in 2 to 3 years, then we start with a new GM and likely head coach. That will be about 11 to 12 years of noncompetitive play with no end in sight.

3. Then we will truly see how well the ownership is at managing a winning team. I'm not confident of that either. I have no idea how Paul Allen set up the team trust or how invested Jody Allen is in a winning team or who she employs as her adviser similar to who Tod Leiweke was to Paul Allen.

The Mariners are a foreboding comparison to where the Seahawks may be headed. Noncompetitive with a fanbase happy to just make the playoffs now and again like back in the 80s. I hope it doesn't go as dark as the early to mid 90s.

I'm not one to toot my horn like hawktawk, but I've been mostly right about the direction of things. Not because I know special things, but because the facts are evident. Even way back when I figured the Super Bowl loss was the end of the Pete Carroll era and it was the end. It may have just had a period put on it with Carroll getting fired, but he never recovered from that. I had a feeling we would never recover from that loss. That Super Bowl loss is the kind of loss that breaks a team. It broke Carroll and Seattle. He was always thinking he was one player away from getting back and never realized how far he really was away.

I also felt when they traded Russ that Pete was likely done too. I was against the Russ trade from an emotional standpoint, but from a reasoned standpoint both Russ and Pete seemed done. Neither was going to recover from that Super Bowl loss. It was just a slow descent into mediocrity or worse.

Paul Allen dying was a huge loss. Paul Allen turned the Seahawks into a perennial contender. Paul Allen is the one who went, "My team is not doing well. Things are not going in the direction I want. I will absolutely fix this." He did. That element of the team is gone. I feel very little confidence in the ownership of the Seahawks. As the team falls into a sort of noncompetitive middle ground with an unclear ownership future, I think we'll eventually be sold.

I hope we get as good an owner as Paul Allen in the future. Whether I live to see that, who knows how long it will take.

To me the long-term outlook for the Seahawks is extremely poor. It might improve should John Schneider surprise me with some weird hire he has vetted personally that is not anyone we have penciled in. But who knows. this just looks like one long, slow descent back into the 80s Seahawks ball. If it falls into early 90s Seahawks ball, that will be truly terrible. I don't think we can get that bad. Or rather I hope we can't get that bad.

I don't share your excitement. The most important factor that made this team successful for the last two plus decades is gone. Without Paul Allen, I have little confidence in our future. It's all a bunch of coin flips and unknowns. With Paul Allen the one thing you could be sure of, he wasn't going to settle for anything but the absolute best coach he could possibly get and even that coach was going to be held to a standard for winning. This is all the natural progression from Paul Allen being gone until we have a new owner more invested in winning like Paul Allen was.

Maybe Jody Allen will prove me wrong, but I doubt it. I'll follow like I do every year through the good and bad. I'm glad we had one absolutely stunning five year run while I lived. I thought I might die with no Super Bowl during those 90s years. Paul Allen changed my attitude about the Seahawks. Now with him gone, it feels like we're in limbo again.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:38 pm

Not getting Harbaugh was a huge swing and miss. Schneider is extremely overrated and it will be blatantly obvious now. Rough sledding ahead……
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:42 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:
I just did. Whether people realize the facts of our situation is irrelevant to me. That is where Seattle stands right now. This is the John Schneider show to sink or swim. His head coach will sink or swim with him.

San Diego easily got the best coach of the bunch.

If in the next five years that should prove wrong, get back to me.

In your orbit it's fact, but nothing you post is factual information. The only thing that is fact is information from the past, and anything going forward is just an opinion or theory, or just wishful thinking. I myself have been wrong many times, but again I don't parade around stating what I am saying is fact.

You mention that we have unstable ownership? Based on what? There is a plan in place for how this ownership of this team will execute. When that time comes for Jody Allen to dispose of the Seahawks organization per Paul's will, I am pretty sure this team will be just fine.

You seem to post the same message over and over, just like you cried and complained about the 2nd draft pick that we gave up for Leonard Williams. Maybe if you post over and over that it will somehow magically undo itself. Get over yourself.

Look I value your opinions, and welcome open discussions, and I don't result to insults like you have done because you don't get your way. However, there are no guarantees that Harbaugh will turn the Chargers into a SB team. Jon Gruden's return to the NFL wasn't exactly world beating before he got himself into hot water with the league. There are a lot of unknowns out there and I can see Harbaugh being successful, but I can also see him failing as well and no fault to himself. Because the Chargers with the Spanos family have not been an organization that goes the extra limit like other organizations have.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby trents » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:51 pm

Wonder if any team is interested in Pete. How many head coaching positions are left open besides ours and the Commanders? Or, maybe someone would want him for an assistant.
trents
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:40 am

trents wrote:Wonder if any team is interested in Pete. How many head coaching positions are left open besides ours and the Commanders? Or, maybe someone would want him for an assistant.

Unless some Gruden-like scandal breaks out or a coach suddenly steps down, once us and the Commanders and us pick our next head coaches, there won't be any more openings for at least 9 months.

I can't see Pete accepting a job as an assistant. The man's already suffered a huge blow to his ego. IMO he'll sit this season out and if he still wants to return to coaching next season, will throw his hat into the ring at that time.

If Belichick can't land a job, I have a hard time seeing Pete getting one. The game has passed those two by.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:50 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Maybe Jody Allen will prove me wrong, but I doubt it. I'll follow like I do every year through the good and bad. I'm glad we had one absolutely stunning five year run while I lived. I thought I might die with no Super Bowl during those 90s years. Paul Allen changed my attitude about the Seahawks. Now with him gone, it feels like we're in limbo again.

I'm actually very pleased with how Jody has been running the team. I had thought that she didn't really care, was intimidated by Pete and didn't think that she'd ever pull the trigger on him, that he'd have to retire, that she wouldn't force him out. It's likely that the boys at Vulcan are the ones behind the curtains pulling levers and throwing switches and that she's just rubber stamping their suggestions. But whoever it is, I'm good with it. There's a lot of poorly run franchises in the league, ie Cowboys, Commanders, Chargers, Raiders, Broncos, Browns, et al, but we're not one of them. IMO the ownership situation here is an asset, not a liability.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:34 am

curmudgeon wrote:Not getting Harbaugh was a huge swing and miss. Schneider is extremely overrated and it will be blatantly obvious now. Rough sledding ahead……

No it wasn't, we chose not to even get in that batting order. He was always the opposite of everything we wanted.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:26 am

Seems if they wanted Quinn or Vrabel they would have signed them by now. The golden goose lies on the 4 remaining teams in the playoffs.

I still think Pete will be on TV lol or run for president in that case he has my vote
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:31 am

I'd say it's 90% still gonna be Quinn (most likely) or Vrabel (I hope).
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:42 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I'd say it's 90% still gonna be Quinn (most likely) or Vrabel (I hope).

I'm with Upppercut on this one. The only explanation for waiting this long is that their guy's team is still active, and they can't sign him until they're eliminated from the playoffs. That means either Johnson or McDonald. Had they wanted Vrabel or Quinn, the smart thing would have been to get him on board so he and John can get to work putting together a staff.
RiverDog
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum