I would say Quinn has in the inside track on new Coach for H

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

I would say Quinn has in the inside track on new Coach for H

Postby Spohawk5092 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:44 am

everything I read if I was a betting man, I would say its Quinn. Just read this morning when he was with the Hawks during their Super Bowl run, he was very popular with everyone and the players.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2024/ ... rs-for-co/
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Re: I would say Quinn has in the inside track on new Coach f

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:58 am

From what I've read and heard in the media, he's the front runner, but that doesn't mean Schneider thinks the same.
They are good friends off field, but would you want a good friend working for you? What would happen if you have to fire him? Would you give him too much of a leash and get the axe yourself?
And that doesn't speak to losing a huge lead in the Super Bowl with the Falcons and the totally unprepared Defense he put on the field to end the Cowboys season. That's 2 big games he's failed in.
I said in another post that this blowout by the Packers with the number of points that they scored might give Schneider some room to not hire Quinn.
Personally, I hope he isn't hired mainly because I think we need a complete break from the Carroll influence but I also think we need a good Offensive HC who can develop a QB to his fullest potential and not have the Offense being
held back by a conservative influence of the Defensive mind set.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:24 am

they need to take their time and get it right. No hurry.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:27 am

Spohawk5092 wrote:they need to take their time and get it right. No hurry.

I agree get it right, but don't dawdle. Draft comes soon and not only do you want your new HC to have input on the draft, any candidate worth a damn is going to want as much of his own influence on the draft as he can get.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:47 pm

Spohawk5092 wrote:they need to take their time and get it right. No hurry.

Snooze, you lose. With 6 current openings and the potential for one or two more, a good candidate is likely going to have several offers. We certainly want to make sure that we get it right, but there is a sense of urgency that we can't ignore.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:05 pm

The new coach has to be in place soon so the scouts can identify who fits the vision of the new HC and the identity he wants to create. Drafting pure talent is great but if he isn’t good a what the team wants to do then you won’t get the most out of him.

It’s going to be an interesting month or so, but I won’t see most of it as I leave for Asia for a month on Friday.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:12 pm

Add Bobby Slowik (Texans OC) and Ben Johnson, OC of the Lions to the list of requested interviewees.
As well they are interviewing Quinn on Thursday.
All according to PFT.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:17 pm

NorthHawk wrote:The new coach has to be in place soon so the scouts can identify who fits the vision of the new HC and the identity he wants to create. Drafting pure talent is great but if he isn’t good a what the team wants to do then you won’t get the most out of him.

It’s going to be an interesting month or so, but I won’t see most of it as I leave for Asia for a month on Friday.

What part of Asia? I'm heading to Thailand last week of March and will spend two weeks there.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:43 pm

We start with 3 days in Tokyo, then fly to Bali, after that we catch a cruise and visit more Indonesia and Malaysia, then to Some places in Thailand before flying to Hong Kong for a week. We are scheduled to get back on Feb 16th. So it’s 4 weeks and I suspect I’ll miss most of the excitement and discussion on the new HC.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:48 pm

There are eight teams looking for head coaches? Bad time to drop your coach with that level of competition in the coaching market.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:31 pm

NorthHawk wrote:We start with 3 days in Tokyo, then fly to Bali, after that we catch a cruise and visit more Indonesia and Malaysia, then to Some places in Thailand before flying to Hong Kong for a week. We are scheduled to get back on Feb 16th. So it’s 4 weeks and I suspect I’ll miss most of the excitement and discussion on the new HC.

I spent two weeks in Japan last spring and loved it. But it's not real English friendly. Most of the airports, transit station, etc. have signage in English, but outside of that, it's very lacking. And, not nearly as many of the locals speak English as in other foreign countries I've visited. I made great use out of my Google Translate and Google Maps apps. I spent 3 days with a couple of friends from high school, Japanese exchange students who spent 2 years with us and graduated from high school with us. Uber and Lyft aren't very prominent, but they have a very robust taxi system, which is where the aforementioned apps come in handy.

Enjoy your vacation!
Last edited by RiverDog on Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:39 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:There are eight teams looking for head coaches? Bad time to drop your coach with that level of competition in the coaching market.

Right now, there's 7: Falcons, Panthers, Raiders, Chargers, Hawks, Titans, and Commanders. The Patriots hired Jerod Mayo to replace Belichick.

The storm that Mike Tomlin created when he walked out of the presser after a reporter asked him a question about his future seems to have calmed. Sources close to the Steelers expect him back in 2024. But that still leaves the Eagles and Cowboys with head coaches on the hot seat.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:01 pm

RiverDog wrote:Right now, there's 7: Falcons, Panthers, Raiders, Chargers, Hawks, Titans, and Commanders. The Patriots hired Jerod Mayo to replace Belichick.

The storm that Mike Tomlin created when he walked out of the presser after a reporter asked him a question about his future seems to have calmed. Sources close to the Steelers expect him back in 2024. But that still leaves the Eagles and Cowboys with head coaches on the hot seat.

Too damn many teams looking for coaches this year.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:23 am

RiverDog wrote:Right now, there's 7: Falcons, Panthers, Raiders, Chargers, Hawks, Titans, and Commanders. The Patriots hired Jerod Mayo to replace Belichick.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Too damn many teams looking for coaches this year.

Yeah, 8 is on the high end. But there's always been 5-6 head coaches that get fired each season. There were 8 fired in 2021.

Head coach stability doesn't necessarily translate into success on the field. Mike Tomlin of the Steelers is the longest tenured head coach and the Steelers have won just one playoff game since 2016. The Steelers are the AFC equivalent of the Seahawks, good enough to make the playoffs but never good enough to compete for a SB, living off past glory.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:37 am

Here is a recap of who the Seahawks have requested interviews with so far:

Dan Quinn - DC Cowboys - 53 years old
Ejiro Evero - DC Panthers - 43 years old
Raheem Morris - DC Rams - 47 years old
Patrick Graham - DC Raiders - 45 years old

Frank Smith - OC Dolphins - 42 years old
Mike Kafka - OC Giants - 36 years old
Ben Johnson - OC Lions - 37 years old
Bobby Slowik - OC Texans - 36 years old

The one I still can't find official confirmation on is Ravens DC Mike Macdonald (36 years old). Have seen multiple reports they are expected to request an interview, but so far, nothing official.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:28 am

I think we're interviewing basically everyone because we will likely be filling both coordinator position to suit the new HC and John wants a familiarity with them all.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:08 pm

NorthHawk wrote:We start with 3 days in Tokyo, then fly to Bali, after that we catch a cruise and visit more Indonesia and Malaysia, then to Some places in Thailand before flying to Hong Kong for a week. We are scheduled to get back on Feb 16th. So it’s 4 weeks and I suspect I’ll miss most of the excitement and discussion on the new HC.

I spent two months in northern Thailand and 6 weeks in Ubud, Bali last year. We were slow traveling with kids and focusing on educational activities and connecting with locals, so my recommendations might not be your speed. I have also spent a couple of weeks in HK over the years for tattoo appointments. Shoot me a DM if you have questions you think I can help with.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:44 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I think we're interviewing basically everyone because we will likely be filling both coordinator position to suit the new HC and John wants a familiarity with them all.

Good point. I would surely hope neither Waldron or Hurtt will be retained by the new coach, I think everyone on here is ready to move on from both of them. I am disappointed in Waldron, coming from McVay's system I was hoping for something more dynamic for offense. Maybe he didn't feel he had the same talent as what he had in LA though.

One of DK's faults coming out of college was his route running. To my eye test, I think it still is a problem, he is not very polished at jukes, head fakes, digging into ground to make a cut, etc..... I was hoping for more progress on that front instead of just being straight up physical. Seems like there are too many games where he doesn't get targeted enough, thinking maybe it's because he is not open enough or creating enough separation?
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:14 pm

Agent 86 wrote:Good point. I would surely hope neither Waldron or Hurtt will be retained by the new coach, I think everyone on here is ready to move on from both of them. I am disappointed in Waldron, coming from McVay's system I was hoping for something more dynamic for offense. Maybe he didn't feel he had the same talent as what he had in LA though.

One of DK's faults coming out of college was his route running. To my eye test, I think it still is a problem, he is not very polished at jukes, head fakes, digging into ground to make a cut, etc..... I was hoping for more progress on that front instead of just being straight up physical. Seems like there are too many games where he doesn't get targeted enough, thinking maybe it's because he is not open enough or creating enough separation?

One of my biggest frustrations with the offense was that Waldron was poor at drawing up route trees that got guys open in the middle of the field. With DK's strength and speed, the ideal situation (it seemed to me) would be to use clever crossing routes to get him the ball, in stride, across the middle of the field. A bigger guy (both in terms of height and weight) is going to have a harder time using technique and quick bursts to create separation. That's why the masters are usually guys like Lockett and Baldwin. DK's separation has to come from speed and strength, so let him sprint across the field and use more high-low concepts to create space. The right OC could use DK as an absolute weapon to attack zones. I don't think DK has the football IQ to be like Marvin Harrison and read the zone himself, so option routes may not the best idea. But an OC who schemes to get DK open in the middle of the field would be ideal.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:36 pm

I'm pretty sure Waldron was restricted by Carroll's Offense and philosophy. Didn't you notice how similar our Offense was from Bevell's and Schottenheimers when here?
Waldron is a McVay disciple yet we only saw flashes of those concepts and still rarely threw into the middle of the field. One of the last games the commentators noted that we threw down the middle the 3rd least of all teams.
It's not coincidence that with 2 different OC's Wilson never threw down the middle and now neither did Geno.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:42 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I'm pretty sure Waldron was restricted by Carroll's Offense and philosophy. Didn't you notice how similar our Offense was from Bevell's and Schottenheimers when here?
Waldron is a McVay disciple yet we only saw flashes of those concepts and still rarely threw into the middle of the field. One of the last games the commentators noted that we threw down the middle the 3rd least of all teams.
It's not coincidence that with 2 different OC's Wilson never threw down the middle and now neither did Geno.

You're probably right, but I'll just play devil's advocate. I have generally understood offensive philosophies at a broader level. With Pete, for example, it's seemed to be things like protect the rock, establish the run, set up play-action, get explosive chunk plays. Other coaches might have philosophies around quick, high-percentage passes (Walsh) or lots of motion to create confusion (McVay). It would be oddly micromanage-y, even for Pete, to dictate to his OC things like "avoid the middle of the field." Maybe Pete didn't like the plays Waldron designed for passes to the middle of the field, so I could see you being right, but it feels just very weird that a coach would demand that kind of thing from all of his coordinators. To me, the more likely explanation is that Bevell and Schotty had to call plays for a short QB and had to avoid the middle more from necessity, and Waldron's crossing patterns were either bad or not well-suited for Geno and these WRs.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:09 pm

Oly wrote:I spent two months in northern Thailand and 6 weeks in Ubud, Bali last year. We were slow traveling with kids and focusing on educational activities and connecting with locals, so my recommendations might not be your speed. I have also spent a couple of weeks in HK over the years for tattoo appointments. Shoot me a DM if you have questions you think I can help with.

Hey, Oly! I'm going with my brother-in-law to Chaing Mai this coming March. He and his wife, a native Thai, have a house there and their son and his family live and work in the area. I'm not sure how much he has planned, but I'd be interested in hearing any suggestions or advice you might have, so shoot me a PM when you get a chance. It will be my first trip to SE Asia.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:54 am

[quote][/quYou're probably right, but I'll just play devil's advocate. I have generally understood offensive philosophies at a broader level. With Pete, for example, it's seemed to be things like protect the rock, establish the run, set up play-action, get explosive chunk plays. Other coaches might have philosophies around quick, high-percentage passes (Walsh) or lots of motion to create confusion (McVay). It would be oddly micromanage-y, even for Pete, to dictate to his OC things like "avoid the middle of the field." Maybe Pete didn't like the plays Waldron designed for passes to the middle of the field, so I could see you being right, but it feels just very weird that a coach would demand that kind of thing from all of his coordinators. To me, the more likely explanation is that Bevell and Schotty had to call plays for a short QB and had to avoid the middle more from necessity, and Waldron's crossing patterns were either bad or not well-suited for Geno and these WRs.][quote]

We've had 3 different OCs under Pete and none threw across the middle very much even in the 2 years with Geno, so that suggests it's the game plan or directive.
We signed Waldron and OL Coach Dickerson from the Rams 2 years ago. Did our Offense look to you like the Shanahan/McVay Offenses? Did we use a lot of pre snap motion, crossing routes, scheming to get receivers open? No we didn't.
Since we didn't do that, and Waldron uses the same template for plays, why wouldn't we?

In Schottenheimer's last year, we started out 5-0 and our Offense was running a much different play set than before. We then hit a bad spot with a couple of turnovers. Pete then came out and said this isn't a brand of football I understand. You could think he meant turnovers, and maybe that was part of it, but the Offense was immediately pared back to its old predictable way (That change looks like it was also the turning point of Russ wanting out).
These first Waldron year, we had Geno start the year throwing across the middle and using a similar play selection as McVay with pre snap motion multiple formations. That slowed down at the end of that first year and last year we started with a much more traditional Pete Carroll Offense.

I've said this before and to me it's telling: Greg Olson said he was surprised that in meetings when they were discussing the game plan for the next opponent there would be suggestions by Russ or others for plays but those were shut down by the coaches saying that's not what we do here. That has to come from the HC.

So I think there was a good probability that it was a directive by Pete to limit throws down the middle of the field.

But either way, Waldron had to go as part of the housecleaning.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:01 am

NorthHawk wrote:We've had 3 different OCs under Pete and none threw across the middle very much even in the 2 years with Geno, so that suggests it's the game plan or directive. We signed Waldron and OL Coach Dickerson from the Rams 2 years ago. Did our Offense look to you like the Shanahan/McVay Offenses? Did we use a lot of pre snap motion, crossing routes, scheming to get receivers open? No we didn't. Since we didn't do that, and Waldron uses the same template for plays, why wouldn't we?

In Schottenheimer's last year, we started out 5-0 and our Offense was running a much different play set than before. We then hit a bad spot with a couple of turnovers. Pete then came out and said this isn't a brand of football I understand. You could think he meant turnovers, and maybe that was part of it, but the Offense was immediately pared back to its old predictable way (That change looks like it was also the turning point of Russ wanting out).
These first Waldron year, we had Geno start the year throwing across the middle and using a similar play selection as McVay with pre snap motion multiple formations. That slowed down at the end of that first year and last year we started with a much more traditional Pete Carroll Offense.

I've said this before and to me it's telling: Greg Olson said he was surprised that in meetings when they were discussing the game plan for the next opponent there would be suggestions by Russ or others for plays but those were shut down by the coaches saying that's not what we do here. That has to come from the HC.

So I think there was a good probability that it was a directive by Pete to limit throws down the middle of the field.

But either way, Waldron had to go as part of the housecleaning.

I can see things like pre-snap motion and the general complexity of route patterns being part of an offensive philosophy, so I think you're right about Pete's hand in that. But we'll just have to agree to disagree about whether a coach would hamstring his offense on purpose by telling them to avoid 1/3 of the field. In any case, we agree that the offense wasn't thriving under Pete, that it's a good thing he's gone, and that Waldron should follow him.

I'm looking forward to the new direction.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:16 am

I read an article the other day that said Pete was the one that insisted that we draft a running back with a 2nd round pick twice in the past two years. I suspect it was the same deal with wide receivers, that Pete insisted we dedicate so many of our resources to offensive skill position players who aren't 3 down players. Hopefully, now that JS is free of that influence, we'll concentrate a little more on the big uglies.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:47 am

Pete did have final say over players and acquisitions so it’s not unreasonable to think he would select players over objections or competing points of view.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:48 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Pete did have final say over players and acquisitions so it’s not unreasonable to think he would select players over objections or competing points of view.

Plus, there could be a "yes man" psychology at work. If you want to get in good with your boss, just tell him/her what they want to hear.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:04 pm

It is my understanding that part of Pete's contract during the hiring process was final say on personnel choices with only Paul Allen overriding Pete. If John and Pete had a disagreement, only Paul Allen could override Carroll based on Schneider's arguments. John did not have final say on personnel over Pete and Pete had the dominant position in the football decision making process below only Paul Allen. That is what Pete said was in his contract when he was hired and John has always backed this up including the most recent press conference where he said Pete's power in the organization was "contractual."
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:17 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:It is my understanding that part of Pete's contract during the hiring process was final say on personnel choices with only Paul Allen overriding Pete. If John and Pete had a disagreement, only Paul Allen could override Carroll based on Schneider's arguments. John did not have final say on personnel over Pete and Pete had the dominant position in the football decision making process below only Paul Allen. That is what Pete said was in his contract when he was hired and John has always backed this up including the most recent press conference where he said Pete's power in the organization was "contractual."

What you say is true, but that wasn't my point. My point is that even if a subordinate is told that his opinion is valued, there is a tendency by some to tell the boss what he wants to hear.

To give you an example, JS might have wanted to draft Creed Humphrey in 2021 instead of their eventual selection Dee Eskridge, but that he knew it would make Pete smile if he told him to draft Eskridge instead. It's called, among other things, buttering up the boss. If you have any experience in a large organization like I have, you'll understand that it happens all the time, someone brown nosing the boss.

I obviously don't know if that was the case in PC/JS's relationship or not. I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby govandals » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:07 am

I would be extremely disappointed if Quinn gets the job. Unless he hits a homerun with his OC choice, we'll be in the 8-9 win purgatory like we are now. Quinn without Shanahan as his OC is a below .500 coach.
govandals
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:42 am

govandals wrote:I would be extremely disappointed if Quinn gets the job. Unless he hits a homerun with his OC choice, we'll be in the 8-9 win purgatory like we are now. Quinn without Shanahan as his OC is a below .500 coach.

I think there was an SI article speculating that Quinn is trying to sell a package of him + Chip Kelly as OC. I'm not sold. Kelly was certainly innovative, but when the NFL figured him out in Philly he fizzled. Maybe, like Pete, the stint in the Pac-12 brought some clarity/new schemes/whatever and that he'd be better in his second stint running an NFL offense. But that seems like a gamble. I'd rather see a Johnson/Slowik appointment than Kelly running the offense.
Oly
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:51 am

Oly wrote:I think there was an SI article speculating that Quinn is trying to sell a package of him + Chip Kelly as OC. I'm not sold. Kelly was certainly innovative, but when the NFL figured him out in Philly he fizzled. Maybe, like Pete, the stint in the Pac-12 brought some clarity/new schemes/whatever and that he'd be better in his second stint running an NFL offense. But that seems like a gamble. I'd rather see a Johnson/Slowik appointment than Kelly running the offense.

I hope that article stays true, and that is stays just a rumor. Because I would not be on board with that at all.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby govandals » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:17 pm

Oly wrote:
I think there was an SI article speculating that Quinn is trying to sell a package of him + Chip Kelly as OC. I'm not sold.

I'm not sold either, please no Chip Kelly.
govandals
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:14 am

Oly wrote:I think there was an SI article speculating that Quinn is trying to sell a package of him + Chip Kelly as OC. I'm not sold. Kelly was certainly innovative, but when the NFL figured him out in Philly he fizzled. Maybe, like Pete, the stint in the Pac-12 brought some clarity/new schemes/whatever and that he'd be better in his second stint running an NFL offense. But that seems like a gamble. I'd rather see a Johnson/Slowik appointment than Kelly running the offense.

Chip Kelly was a disaster in the NFL. His Quack Attack offense often times backfired, would go 3-and-out in under a minute then put his defense back on the field. Do that 3-4 times in a row and your DL is breathing like vacuum cleaners. There has to be a better option for OC than him. He's a prime example of a successful college coach flopping in the NFL. Add his name to a list comprised of Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Dennis Erickson, Bobby Petrino, Urban Meyer, Lane Kiffin, Lou Holtz, Matt Rhule, Kliff Killingsworth...Just say no!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:01 am

still thinking Quinn is the one they pick.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:43 am

Spohawk5092 wrote:still thinking Quinn is the one they pick.

I really think that if Quinn where their guy he would be our head coach already. I think Schneider wants Johnson or Macdonald (not 100% which one- or maybe they are 1 and 2 on his list?)
mykc14
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum