Looks like MacDonald will be the new HC

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Looks like MacDonald will be the new HC

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:55 am

A ton of 3 and outs is exactly what I'm talking about.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:38 pm

According to reports, Kelly is desperate to get out of the colleges and back into the NFL. He's been the one that's been chasing OC jobs, not the other way around. Word is that he's tired of recruiting, hates having to deal with boosters, and just wants to call plays in the NFL. Two years ago, he signed a contract extension at UCLA that carries him through the 2025 season.

I don't know what it is that he has on his resume that would make teams want to hire him. He was a disaster in Philly with his Quack Attack, even worse when he moved to the Niners and went 2-14, losing 13 straight. His record at UCLA stands at 35-34. He hasn't groomed any quarterbacks to speak of.

I'd stay away from this guy. Hopefully, the interview was just a courtesy call, agreeing to interview him after he had called and inquired.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:45 pm

Chip Kelly does nothing for me. I want an OC who can develop QBs and cater offenses to the personnel.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:30 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Chip Kelly does nothing for me. I want an OC who can develop QBs and cater offenses to the personnel.

Exactly. Kelly has been in the game a long time. Name one quarterback even relatively successful, pros or college, of whom Kelly coached at one time or another.
Last edited by RiverDog on Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:30 pm

Chip has the same one huge advantage that Pete gave us when we first hired him from USC: About 3 years of college player information, especially those on the West Coast, where UCLA did the most recruiting.
Not a bad thing to have when, at the very least, we need to draft and develop our next QB. Might come down to Nix or Penix.

I don't think it's much different then when Pete blew his first chance at being an NFL coach. Chip did pretty good with what the underfunded UCLA gave him and what he did years ago really doesn't matter much now. People do learn and grow from their mistakes (unless you're Belichick)
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:49 am

jshawaii22 wrote:Chip has the same one huge advantage that Pete gave us when we first hired him from USC: About 3 years of college player information, especially those on the West Coast, where UCLA did the most recruiting.
Not a bad thing to have when, at the very least, we need to draft and develop our next QB. Might come down to Nix or Penix.

I don't think it's much different then when Pete blew his first chance at being an NFL coach. Chip did pretty good with what the underfunded UCLA gave him and what he did years ago really doesn't matter much now. People do learn and grow from their mistakes (unless you're Belichick)

Agreed about the insights into college personnel. Of course, you can say that about any college coach, including Ryan Grubbs, who is also under consideration for OC. No real advantage there.

Pete's career path prior to his hiring here is not analogous with Chip Kelly's. Prior to 2010, Pete's NFL experience consisted of 2 years as a defensive backs coach, 10 years as a defensive coordinator, and 4 years as a head coach. That's 16 years in the NFL. Kelly's NFL stints include 3 years as HC with the Eagles and one with the Niners, both as head coach. Pete had spent 4 times as much time coaching at one level or another in the NFL prior to 2010 than Kelly has today.

Perhaps Kelly has changed since his two failed forays into the NFL. Failed experiences are very good teachers. But it's still a question mark as to whether or not he has. Bottom line is that Chip Kelly is still every bit of a risk as any of the younger guys with lesser overall experience. It's not a given that his coaching style has changed or what he'd be like as an NFL OC.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum