Grubb potential next hire for the Hawks....

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Grubb potential next hire for the Hawks....

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:27 am

It looks like there could be a lot of FA QBs looking for work this year, so maybe by cutting Geno, we could get a replacement for a year for much cheaper while a young QB learns the ways of the NFL.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:02 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Geno's 'cost' is just a little more then we paid Matt Flynn (taking inflation in) and look at what happened, so no, this is NOT the year to pass on a QB. There are many and if we don't draft one we're fools.
And just because we spend a first on a QB doesn't mean he couldn't sit behind Geno. See: Green Bay
Note that Drew Lock is a FA, so we need a b/u.

I agree with everything but the bolded part. We all know that this FO will be looking hard at drafting a QB and that it's a priority. If they don't get one, I'll just assume that it's because they didn't like the ones that were available at the spots they were available. For example, let's say the TE from Georgia or the DE from Penn State are available at #16. I'd rather they take one of those than any QB that would be available there. The Hawks have far too many holes than to force a QB in this draft. I want to see a BPA strategy within DL, OL, QB, TE, S, and even LB (although I would rather not see S or LB in the first round, as those are lower value positions).
Oly
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:27 pm

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:51 pm

Doesn’t affect the fact that if we keep him, we incur a $38.5M Cap hit next year.
If we cut him, we can save $25M next year, so it might be a move to save both this years and next Cap room.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:11 pm

The salary cap was just set at $550.4 M, which is much higher than expected. Suddenly, the Seahawks are on the positive side of the ledger. Nice.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:07 pm

550 million? Ok. 255.4 million cap. That does help us some.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:19 pm

$255.4 million which is about $12M more than expected.
If/when we address the Safety Cap issue, we should have more of a chance to re-sign Williams which would help mitigate the loss of the 2nd round pick.
We’re still pretty tight on the Cap, though so maybe something will happen with Geno.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:05 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Speaking of Seahawks coaches with ties to QB's in the draft we just hired Zak Hill, who was Jayden Daniels' QB coach and OC for the Sun Devils for a couple years.

I agree we're keeping Geno for now but I don't think that puts us out of the QB market in the draft. A new HC drafting a new QB is damn near a tradition in the NFL.

And now we're meeting with Daniels in the pre-combine meetings per Rapoport. That's some pretty high draft position for us to be looking at from #16 ... that would take some serious trading.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:38 pm

Looks like we're meeting with a lot of LBs, which makes sense given how depleted we are at the position. We need some good LBs to jam the run hard.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:50 pm

I was watching NFL Live about an hour ago and there was a clip of Schneider talking about Geno and he said Geno is our starter - until he isn't.
It's kind of like I have been thinking that they are willing to deal him if they get an offer. I can see a team biting on him as he's a solid but unspectacular QB and could help a team get to the Kirk Cousins level until they find their QBOTF.
We need Cap relief next year as well as this year so they might not want to commit to the $35M next year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:05 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I was watching NFL Live about an hour ago and there was a clip of Schneider talking about Geno and he said Geno is our starter - until he isn't.
It's kind of like I have been thinking that they are willing to deal him if they get an offer. I can see a team biting on him as he's a solid but unspectacular QB and could help a team get to the Kirk Cousins level until they find their QBOTF.
We need Cap relief next year as well as this year so they might not want to commit to the $35M next year.

But then there was an interview with Macdonald who was very elusive when asked about Geno, says that they're still figuring it out:

During a recent interview, reporter Aaron Levin of KCPQ-TV in Seattle asked Macdonald if starting quarterback Geno Smith and backup Drew Lock would be involved “in the future of the organization going forward.”

Macdonald was noncommittal about both.

“That’s a tough question and it’s one that I probably can’t answer right now,” Macdonald said. “But we’re doing a lot of work on those guys and I’ve had conversations just to get to know them and understand who they are as people and their background, and goals and what their family’s like and where they’re from. I didn’t know anything about them coming into this whole thing. So, right now we’re in the phase of figuring out who they are.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/se ... r-BB1j3ZMU
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:21 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Looks like we're meeting with a lot of LBs, which makes sense given how depleted we are at the position. We need some good LBs to jam the run hard.

One of the rumors is that Patrick Queen, the Ravens All Pro linebacker who has had a lot of good things about Macdonald, might be heading our way:

Seahawks Predicted to Poach Ravens All-Pro As “Defensive Centerpiece”

OverTheCap, currently has the Ravens at $5.1 million in cap space before they make any cuts or restructures. The Ravens still have holes they need to address and spending $70 to $90 million at linebacker would be unwise spending.

“The team has to re-up Justin Madubuike (and others) this offseason and is already paying big-time money to an off-ball linebacker in Roquan Smith,” Davenport advised.

The Ravens gave Smith a 5-year, $100 million contract in 2023 and adding another big money linebacker might be redundant. The Ravens drafted Trenton Simpson in the third round of 2023 as a potential replacement for Queen

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/se ... r-BB1iJW4K
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:23 pm

With needs at DL, LB, S, and OL (Lucas had surgery on his knee), I’m betting they steer clear of early round QBs. I was wanting them to finally make a move, but I’m not confident they’ll do that this year. Hang on to Geno unless a trade is offered that they can’t refuse, and continue to build the rest of the roster. Jayden Daniels would be a terrific pick, but that’s a king’s ransom to move up to get him.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:52 am

The only other QB (only other offensive player even) that we interviewed yesterday was Drake May, who is right up there with Jayden as far as draft position goes.

Players who have interviewed with the #Seahawks so far:
QB Drake Maye [per, Ian Rapoport]
DE Bralen Trice, Washington [per, various outlets]
DE Dallas Turner, Alabama [per, Sports Illustrated] (pictured)
DE Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan [per, Sports Illustrated]
DL Kris Jenkins, Michigan [per, various outlets]
DL Jer'Zhan Newton, Illinois [per, Sports Illustrated]
LB Junior Colson, Michigan [per, the player himself at the NFL combine]
LB Trevin Wallace, Kentucky [per, various outlets]
QB Jayden Daniels, LSU [per, Ian Rapoport]
IDL Braden Fiske, Florida State [per, Justin M]
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:15 am

It's hard to get a line on who we might or might not draft based on who we're interviewing. As Mike Holmgren once said, everyone lies this time of year. The interviews could be nothing more than a smoke screen. And some of it depends on familiarity. Do you think that we need to formally interview Michael Penix when one of his college coaches is now on our staff?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:41 am

Well I read yesterday that we did draft 3 or 4 players from last years "interviewed at the combine" list. Can't find it now 'cause I'm at my work computer but if I find it I'll link it. I agree everybody lies this year, but combine interviews are a pretty valuable asset to be used strictly for subterfuge.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:27 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Well I read yesterday that we did draft 3 or 4 players from last years "interviewed at the combine" list. Can't find it now 'cause I'm at my work computer but if I find it I'll link it. I agree everybody lies this year, but combine interviews are a pretty valuable asset to be used strictly for subterfuge.

That's part of the 'Character' aspect they want to know about and can only be evaluated by in person interviews. By Character, I mean how much football matters, how much they dislike losing, and how they act around others. According to both Pete and John a year or so ago they said they had gone away from that and it became more important the last 2 drafts. I also read about the Ravens philosophy and they are also big on Character as well so that would be a good fit for McDonald.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:53 pm

RiverDog wrote:One of the rumors is that Patrick Queen, the Ravens All Pro linebacker who has had a lot of good things about Macdonald, might be heading our way:

Seahawks Predicted to Poach Ravens All-Pro As “Defensive Centerpiece”

OverTheCap, currently has the Ravens at $5.1 million in cap space before they make any cuts or restructures. The Ravens still have holes they need to address and spending $70 to $90 million at linebacker would be unwise spending.

“The team has to re-up Justin Madubuike (and others) this offseason and is already paying big-time money to an off-ball linebacker in Roquan Smith,” Davenport advised.

The Ravens gave Smith a 5-year, $100 million contract in 2023 and adding another big money linebacker might be redundant. The Ravens drafted Trenton Simpson in the third round of 2023 as a potential replacement for Queen

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/se ... r-BB1iJW4K

I would be less enthused about Queen if it weren't for Macdonald being the coach now. He is used to the system and seemed to thrive this past year under it. No worries about a new guy coming in and having to learn a new system and not being a possible fit and spending big money (Dre'Mont Jones??).

Funny, he went 1 pick after Brooks. Both the Seahawks and Ravens declined the 5th year options on them, seemingly thinking the salary they would be owed in that 5th year would be not worth it. Now they both find themselves as UFA's, with Queen having a breakout year. I would think Macdonald would want Queen over Brooks, but Brooks is in their house now to work a deal out with. Although it does appear as you quoted that the Ravens won't have what it takes to re-sign Queen and probably won't use a tag on him. I wonder if there is a way to get them both on the Seahawks monetarily?

The defensive pieces Macdonald/Schneider bring in will be very interesting to watch, as will be who they decide to let go into free agency and/or cut.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:51 am

I read this morning that you can add JJ McCarthy to the list of QB's we've interviewed at the combine. At least we're not taking selfies with them this year ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:44 am

Agent 86 wrote:I would be less enthused about Queen if it weren't for Macdonald being the coach now. He is used to the system and seemed to thrive this past year under it. No worries about a new guy coming in and having to learn a new system and not being a possible fit and spending big money (Dre'Mont Jones??).

Funny, he went 1 pick after Brooks. Both the Seahawks and Ravens declined the 5th year options on them, seemingly thinking the salary they would be owed in that 5th year would be not worth it. Now they both find themselves as UFA's, with Queen having a breakout year. I would think Macdonald would want Queen over Brooks, but Brooks is in their house now to work a deal out with. Although it does appear as you quoted that the Ravens won't have what it takes to re-sign Queen and probably won't use a tag on him. I wonder if there is a way to get them both on the Seahawks monetarily?

The defensive pieces Macdonald/Schneider bring in will be very interesting to watch, as will be who they decide to let go into free agency and/or cut.

Our failure to pick up Brooks' 5th year is just one more reason why I had been so down on Pete. Since the clause was added to the CBA umpteen years ago, we are the only team that has not exercised that option on one of our drafted players.

If we do bring in Queen, we'll likely not make an offer to Brooks. Queen would be a significant upgrade, and as you said, we already know that he works well withing Macdonald's defense.

Queen had a lot of very nice things to say about Macdonald, so he'd obviously be a big help to the locker room as the team looks for a new identity.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:55 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I read this morning that you can add JJ McCarthy to the list of QB's we've interviewed at the combine. At least we're not taking selfies with them this year ...

I'm glad they are taking this seriously. We need to find that QBOTF but no 2nd round pick really hurts this year.
I fully expect us to trade back at least once and maybe twice right out of the 1st round. We will probably have to miss out on some good players doing so but we need a lot of new blood and this draft looks like it's stacked with solid players in the 2nd to 3rd rounds and maybe even the 4th.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:06 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I'm glad they are taking this seriously. We need to find that QBOTF but no 2nd round pick really hurts this year.
I fully expect us to trade back at least once and maybe twice right out of the 1st round. We will probably have to miss out on some good players doing so but we need a lot of new blood and this draft looks like it's stacked with solid players in the 2nd to 3rd rounds and maybe even the 4th.

I don't think we will trade out of the 1st round. I think John views this as a multi-year job and will take quality over quantity. He will also use free agency and we will make some moves to further cut cap space as we do this rebuild right rather than continue down the Pete Carroll path of impatiently building the team thinking we're one player away.

I think if a player is there at 16 they want that is good, they are pulling the trigger. The idea that picking up more players in later rounds makes a better team is not a smart way to build. You take good players if they are available only trading down or up if you believe you can still obtain a quality player while picking up additional draft capital.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:10 pm

RiverDog wrote:Our failure to pick up Brooks' 5th year is just one more reason why I had been so down on Pete. Since the clause was added to the CBA umpteen years ago, we are the only team that has not exercised that option on one of our drafted players.

If we do bring in Queen, we'll likely not make an offer to Brooks. Queen would be a significant upgrade, and as you said, we already know that he works well withing Macdonald's defense.

Queen had a lot of very nice things to say about Macdonald, so he'd obviously be a big help to the locker room as the team looks for a new identity.

I'm not impressed by Brooks myself. Linebackers directly affect run defense. Brooks has not been doing a great job stopping the run. He reads late and doesn't seem to have the prime Bobby play speed for killing the run or the instincts. I can see why they did not pick up his option because he wasn't proving to be a good leader of the defense or a top level run defender. He was a guy that racked up a lot of tackles after opposing RBs had already gained yards.

From a results oriented focus, Brooks wasn't getting the results you want from an inside linebacker who was supposed to make tackles to stop the run.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:16 pm

The LB play seemed to go downhill when Norton stopped coaching them. It also coincided with the decline of the DL iirc and the loss of talent up front that was never replaced.
That’s the way that I see it but it might be something that I just think I remember.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:35 pm

The defense dearly misses the instincts and play of K J Wright.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:58 am

Instinct is a quality that's hard to evaluate and find as well as a fit with the other players.
I think together Wagner and KJ were better than if each were on different teams.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:22 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Did we hire Grubb to draft Penix at 15? Seems a logical maybe, but maybe he would of taken "QB Coach" instead of OC.

With the top 3 QB's not throwing at the combine today the big question was which of the next 3 would capitalize and set themself apart as #4. Penix did that in spades, he was obviously the pass passer on the field today!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:05 pm

Will he last to 16?
The draftniks seem to think so, but every year there’s a run on QBs so who knows when he will be selected. It might be a good thing if we want to trade down (which I think we will try to do) if a team really likes him and drafts after us like Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay who need a QB.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum