Eagles to Play In Brazil

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Eagles to Play In Brazil

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:38 am

The NFL announced a few months ago that they would play a game in Brazil, and since it was Miami's market, many assumed that the Dolphins would be one of the participants. I had taken that assumption a step further by speculating that the Hawks would be asked to donate a home game. All AFC teams have just 8 home games this season, and the league will only force teams with 9 home games to donate one to the international series, and we're one of the few teams that have not donated a home game.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/101 ... ng-weekend

There will be a number of firsts in this game. It's the first game in South America in the league's attempt to expand their market around the globe. Secondly, the game is being held in Week 1, a first for an international game. And lastly, it's being held on a Friday. In the past, the league had avoided scheduling games on Fridays, at least early in the season, in deference to the high schools. Since it helps soften the travel requirements by giving the two teams a long week prior to their next games, look for this to become SOP for future international games.

The stadium in Sao Paulo is a bit on the small side. Although they'll obviously bring in temporary seating for the game, the capacity is listed at 47,000.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Eagles to Play In Brazil

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:43 pm

Be interesting to see what American football looks like in Brazil. They have a lot of hot women over there. I hope we see some Carnivale type of celebration. Though it is the modern NFL and super family friendly, so likely to be tame. I imagine the players will have a good time after the game. I'd volunteer for Brazil myself.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:35 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Be interesting to see what American football looks like in Brazil. They have a lot of hot women over there. I hope we see some Carnivale type of celebration. Though it is the modern NFL and super family friendly, so likely to be tame. I imagine the players will have a good time after the game. I'd volunteer for Brazil myself.

Had it been the Seahawks as I had suspected when they first announced that they were going to play a game next season in Brazil, I would have tried to have gone.

However, I do wonder why they chose Brazil over other non-third world countries. There has to be better markets in which to expand than South America. I spent two weeks in Japan last spring, and they'd love to host an NFL game. Australia is another market that I would think would be ripe for American football.

If it were a regular NFL weekend, it would give the league another Sunday time frame. Sao Paulo is 2 hours ahead of New York, so it gives them an extra time slot on Sundays. A 12pm Sao Paulo kickoff would be 10am in New York and 7am in Seattle. But this game is being played on a Friday.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:28 pm

Brazil is a large and growing economy. I believe their President is seeking to position Brazil for investment and growth. I think it is the largest country in Central and South America. 200 million people in Brazil, huge population diversity.

If you want to sell American football in Latin America, Brazil is the country to get onboard.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:23 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Brazil is a large and growing economy. I believe their President is seeking to position Brazil for investment and growth. I think it is the largest country in Central and South America. 200 million people in Brazil, huge population diversity.

If you want to sell American football in Latin America, Brazil is the country to get onboard.

Yeah, but how much money do those people have?

Here's a ranking of countries by total wealth. As expected, the US is ranked #1. Japan is ranked #3. Brazil? They're #17, below Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... 83.4%25%29

Not only that, but there are other countries in the Pacific Rim with very close links to Japan, ie South Korea and Taiwan, both who are more affluent than Brazil.

I'm not saying that Brazil shouldn't be on the radar. My former employer has big plans to market their products in Brazil. But they shouldn't be ahead of Japan and the Pacific Rim.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum