Congrats Kansas City!

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Congrats Kansas City!

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:17 pm

One of the most enjoyable Super Bowls! I was rooting hard enough against the Niners that I was getting almost as nervous at the end of the game as I do for our games.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Congrats Kansas City!

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:22 pm

I ended up watching at my brothers. That was a hell of a game. Incredibly competitive game. Shanahan part of both overtime Super Bowls. Crazy stat. OC in Atlanta and HC in this one.

Don't like either team, but they had a real fight.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:16 am

A bit of a sloppy game, 6 penalties on each team, 2 turnovers on each team, one coming from a return player with his HUA, 10 punts, CMC with an uncharacteristic fumble, a missed XP, bad snaps, and so on. And, I didn't have a horse in this race. I would have been happy if both teams would have lost.

But it was competitive as both teams were evenly matched. If you're an old fart like me and watched the SB games from about X through XX or so during a period of time that they were all blow-outs, this one kept us engaged for the entire game. It was only the 2nd SB that has gone into OT.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:22 am

Fun watch, but nobody will look back on this Chiefs team when thinking of the pantheon of great SB teams. Too much of the game was sloppy.

But, as annoying as it's going to be, I can't say that people are wrong to start asking whether this Chiefs team is a dynasty. I don't know their cap situation, but they have built wisely. Superstar QB, then OL studs, interior DL superstar, and one big offensive weapon. That feels sustainable and is the model that the Hawks should try to emulate.
Oly
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:22 am

I told myself I wasn't going to watch and then caved come yesterday afternoon. Glad I did. I agree the officiating was even handed; neither team caught anything particularly bad, though I think that 3rd and 13 defensive holding call in OT against KC was ticky-tack as well as the horse collar called on them earlier with Purdy. Even so, both teams had ample opportunity to take that game, and the 49ers didn't quite do enough.

Hated seeing the fluky turnover on the punt to the 49ers that setup KC for an easy score. I don't know how that could have been avoided; just a bad break.

ETA: I don't get some of the Purdy hate I'm seeing (not on this board). Some people, including some 49ers fans, are already saying he's already peaked. A 7th round pick who helped his team get to an NFCCG and then the SB the next season is as good a showing as any QB out there.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:48 am

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/395 ... bowl-rules

Just saw this. I want to call BS, but, if it is more than just excuses, where the heck have them been all post season? Where was the coaching staff in all this? Commentators went out of their way to state the new OT rules in the playoffs, and the rule change was well publicized earlier this season.

All the same, taking the ball first isn't a bad strategy. The 49ers defense got to catch their breath, and a TD would have put all the pressure on KC to punch it in or go home.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:34 pm

Oly wrote:Fun watch, but nobody will look back on this Chiefs team when thinking of the pantheon of great SB teams. Too much of the game was sloppy.

But, as annoying as it's going to be, I can't say that people are wrong to start asking whether this Chiefs team is a dynasty. I don't know their cap situation, but they have built wisely. Superstar QB, then OL studs, interior DL superstar, and one big offensive weapon. That feels sustainable and is the model that the Hawks should try to emulate.

10-4 on the quality of the game.

I think that the Chiefs are a dynasty. They've gone to 4 of the past 5 SB's, winning 3 of them, including the last two in a row. In the past 5 years, the only season they didn't go to the SB they lost in the conference championship game....in overtime. They've gone to the AFCCG 6 straight seasons. They've won their division for 8 straight years, racked up 11 straight winning seasons, a 108-39 regular season record and a .735 winning percentage over the past 9 years and went to the playoffs in all 9 of those seasons. They are by far the most consistent, most successful team in recent history.

In this day and age of free agency and parity, that's a pretty amazing feat. Not quite to the level of the Patriots, but nevertheless impressive enough to qualify as a dynasty in my book.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:25 pm

Yep. Chiefs are a dynasty and Patrick Mahomes is the only QB out there right now with a chance to match Brady.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:31 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:One of the most enjoyable Super Bowls! I was rooting hard enough against the Niners that I was getting almost as nervous at the end of the game as I do for our games.

Me too. While it was a snore slug fest to start the first half, it was extremely intense after that. Also damn the Niners look like s*** right now. :D
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum