What didn't happen today

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

What didn't happen today

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:45 pm

Geno, DK, Dre'Mont Jones and Jason Meyers all had salary guarantees that took effect today and all of them are still with the team. There would have been substantial cap space saved were they not. You can argue all you want that we may only be retaining their rights for future trades but the time for such trades would have been before today when they were less expensive for a potential suitor sign and there is no evidence we tried to move any of them. I believe our new coaching staff is comfortable with all of them as part of the team going forward.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: What didn't happen today

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:02 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Geno, DK, Dre'Mont Jones and Jason Meyers all had salary guarantees that took effect today and all of them are still with the team. There would have been substantial cap space saved were they not. You can argue all you want that we may only be retaining their rights for future trades but the time for such trades would have been before today when they were less expensive for a potential suitor sign and there is no evidence we tried to move any of them. I believe our new coaching staff is comfortable with all of them as part of the team going forward.

I'm not too surprised about Geno, but I am at the other two, Jones and Meyers. Macdonald must see something beyond what Jones showed us last year. PFF graded him out at #55 amongst interior defenders. Meyers had a down year. His FG% was just 83.3%, 22nd in the league, and his kickoff touchback percentage was 63.9%, good for just 33rd in the league. To be fair, those rankings are a bit skewed by the inclusion of players with just a couple of kicks, but nevertheless, Meyers performed well below expectations.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:26 am

I'm more surprised about Geno than the rest quite frankly. Usually with an entire coaching staff turnover the new HC wants to get his own key people in place, and no one is more key than the QB. I was prepared for a major roster overhaul, with no one being "safe", but evidently Schneider, having full control now, is sticking with his roster, and likely the coaching hires were done with an eye on who he thought could use the players he gives them best. It's definitely a different dynamic than I am used to seeing.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:31 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I'm more surprised about Geno than the rest quite frankly. Usually with an entire coaching staff turnover the new HC wants to get his own key people in place, and no one is more key than the QB. I was prepared for a major roster overhaul, with no one being "safe", but evidently Schneider, having full control now, is sticking with his roster, and likely the coaching hires were done with an eye on who he thought could use the players he gives them best. It's definitely a different dynamic than I am used to seeing.

Yeah, who knows. I don't necessarily think it's a snub of Macdonald as offense isn't his long suit and our OC is a college coach, so they may not have any 'key' quarterbacks to bring in. It doesn't preclude us of drafting a QB, say Michael Penix, who would be one of their guys.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:02 pm

Yeah, at such a relatively reasonable starting salary for Geno a QB in the draft is certainly not off the table, and I said last year when we passed on Levis I was hoping for Pennix this year.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:13 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Yeah, at such a relatively reasonable starting salary for Geno a QB in the draft is certainly not off the table, and I said last year when we passed on Levis I was hoping for Pennix this year.

So what are your thoughts on how drafting a southpaw quarterback might shake up the OL with the RT now being responsible for the QB's blind side? With Lucas' knee being a concern, does that put us in the market for another OT later in the draft? We already have some pretty big fish to fry at guard and center.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:50 pm

I see his being a southpaw as a thing to be aware of and plan for (including the makeup of our O-line) but not as a determinate factor in whether or not to draft him.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:46 pm

I would be okay with a southpaw QB if the OC was comfortable with it and Lucas is able to come back from injury.

But I don't want that QB to be Penix. Sure, he can hit the occasional throw that most QBs can't, but he also misses more that I expect even average FCS quarterbacks to make. He was off on so many throws in the Championship game and I just don't see how he can be trusted to run an offense. Even with Grubbs, I'd be surprised if Macdonald would want a QB whose mistakes create lots of 3-and-outs, even if he does hit the occasional crazy good bomb.

I'm not a ton higher on Nix, who seems to my uneducated eye like the anti-Penix. Nix is good on the short and over-the-middle stuff, and seems to get rid of the ball with accuracy to his first target. But his deep balls just aren't accurate and can tend to flutter.

I know Staton at Seahawksdraftblog is higher on Rattler, but I haven't watched anything on him. And I don't see anything special in McCarthy.

So given where the Hawks are picking, I don't see a clear QB of the future in this draft class, but I also didn't think Wilson would be that great so shows what I know. In any case, to me, I could see them trying to get Geno to restructure or trading him for a low pick on draft day if Schneider gets a QB he loves. I'm not stoked about this, as I think Geno costs more than his worth to a rebuilding team and I think they need to draft their next QB ASAP. But JS can't play cards he's not dealt, so I'm not going to be too upset if he has to settle for a non-optimal QB situation.

But if he doesn't have one in place by the start of the 2025 camp, I'll get cranky.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:41 pm

Oly wrote:I would be okay with a southpaw QB if the OC was comfortable with it and Lucas is able to come back from injury.

But I don't want that QB to be Penix. Sure, he can hit the occasional throw that most QBs can't, but he also misses more that I expect even average FCS quarterbacks to make. He was off on so many throws in the Championship game and I just don't see how he can be trusted to run an offense. Even with Grubbs, I'd be surprised if Macdonald would want a QB whose mistakes create lots of 3-and-outs, even if he does hit the occasional crazy good bomb.

I'm not a ton higher on Nix, who seems to my uneducated eye like the anti-Penix. Nix is good on the short and over-the-middle stuff, and seems to get rid of the ball with accuracy to his first target. But his deep balls just aren't accurate and can tend to flutter.

I know Staton at Seahawksdraftblog is higher on Rattler, but I haven't watched anything on him. And I don't see anything special in McCarthy.

So given where the Hawks are picking, I don't see a clear QB of the future in this draft class, but I also didn't think Wilson would be that great so shows what I know. In any case, to me, I could see them trying to get Geno to restructure or trading him for a low pick on draft day if Schneider gets a QB he loves. I'm not stoked about this, as I think Geno costs more than his worth to a rebuilding team and I think they need to draft their next QB ASAP. But JS can't play cards he's not dealt, so I'm not going to be too upset if he has to settle for a non-optimal QB situation.

But if he doesn't have one in place by the start of the 2025 camp, I'll get cranky.

Yeah, that's the problem with Pete's last 8 years. Never good enough to compete for a Super Bowl but not bad enough to draft in the top 10. Perpetual mediocrity.

I don't have an opinion on any of the quarterbacks in this class. I did watch the NCAA playoffs, and Penix didn't look great in the NC game, but it was just one game, and I haven't watched enough CFB to form an opinion I can be comfortable with. All I can say is that I trust JS's eye when it comes to quarterbacks.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:24 am

I just got back from Asia. Doesn't look like I missed anything. /s

I'm not keen on Penix because I think today's QBs should have an ability to handle pressure and be quite mobile. Penix seemed to struggle when his OL wasn't giving him solid protection and with his injury history it's a gamble to have him run or if he's chased out of the pocket to scramble for a first down. He has the speed, but that's not really his game. He sure makes some pretty throws, though and if they want a pocket passer then he fits the bill. Basically I would want a QB who has shown to be fearless in the face of pressure and has shown the ability to overcome it and make Defenses pay. I haven't seen it from Penix from the games I've seen.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:41 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I just got back from Asia. Doesn't look like I missed anything. /s

I'm not keen on Penix because I think today's QBs should have an ability to handle pressure and be quite mobile. Penix seemed to struggle when his OL wasn't giving him solid protection and with his injury history it's a gamble to have him run or if he's chased out of the pocket to scramble for a first down. He has the speed, but that's not really his game. He sure makes some pretty throws, though and if they want a pocket passer then he fits the bill. Basically I would want a QB who has shown to be fearless in the face of pressure and has shown the ability to overcome it and make Defenses pay. I haven't seen it from Penix from the games I've seen.

Welcome back, bro! I think I can speak for the group by saying that your presence was missed. I have my own trip to Asia planned at the end of next month.

I'm not really in the position to comment about Michael Penix, at least not until I do a little more research on him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum