Draft wishes

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Draft wishes

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:20 am

curmudgeon wrote:Scot McCloughan was the architect of Seattle’s SB teams. After he left P&J struggled with personnel acquisitions. We’ll see if John can rise above the track record of missteps……

I think McLoughan has a company that scouts for NFL teams and he’s a friend of JS so maybe they are in a business relationship of some type to get his opinions.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:11 pm

RiverDog wrote:Nope. Adams was cut with several years remaining on his contract. Among other criteria, comp picks are awarded only for players who leave via free agency after their contract is up.

The fact that the Rams and Niners were awarded so many comp picks isn't necessarily a good thing for them as it indicates that they lost some quality players through free agency. As usual, Ramblow has his head up his rear.

I wasn't serious. Just a dry joke to further how we got absolutely nothing for the Jamal Adams trade, nothing with a big old zero.

Schneider should not defend that trade. It was terrible in so many ways. It was an incredibly horrible misfire. The worst of their tenure together.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:13 pm

curmudgeon wrote:Scot McCloughan was the architect of Seattle’s SB teams. After he left P&J struggled with personnel acquisitions. We’ll see if John can rise above the track record of missteps……

Scott McGhloughan had nothing to do with Lynch coming to Seattle. You have no idea who this guy had input drafting. He definitely didn't scheme them on the field or develop them. Pretending you know this to be true is ridiculous, especially considering it was Pete who picked the type of secondary player and built the Legion of Boom using his style of play and scheme.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:58 pm

RiverDog wrote:Nope. Adams was cut with several years remaining on his contract. Among other criteria, comp picks are awarded only for players who leave via free agency after their contract is up.

The fact that the Rams and Niners were awarded so many comp picks isn't necessarily a good thing for them as it indicates that they lost some quality players through free agency. As usual, Ramblow has his head up his rear.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I wasn't serious. Just a dry joke to further how we got absolutely nothing for the Jamal Adams trade, nothing with a big old zero.

Schneider should not defend that trade. It was terrible in so many ways. It was an incredibly horrible misfire. The worst of their tenure together.

Yeah, I probably should have figured that out.

Agreed about JS defending the Adams trade. He should have just said something like "all teams make mistakes, and this was one of ours," then move on.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:56 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, I probably should have figured that out.

Agreed about JS defending the Adams trade. He should have just said something like "all teams make mistakes, and this was one of ours," then move on.

Dry jokes are hard on forums.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby HawkSis » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:02 pm

My draft wishes never come true on draft day, but my draft fat motto still stands. I like em big, I like em chunky! ;)

#draftfat
HawkSis
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:37 pm

Good to hear from you, Sis.
I hope you are doing well.

This draft is deep in OL, so they should be able to get at least 1 interior lineman and maybe 2 that would have a good chance to start.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:31 am

NorthHawk wrote:Good to hear from you, Sis.
I hope you are doing well.

This draft is deep in OL, so they should be able to get at least 1 interior lineman and maybe 2 that would have a good chance to start.

Same here, Sis. You've been missed.

We're going to have to draft at least two OL. We were weak there to begin with and we've since lost Lewis to FA. It's one of the reasons why we're likely to trade out of the #16 overall.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HawkSis » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:33 pm

Hi you two. I’ve missed you all. :D
HawkSis
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:30 am

You are a breath of fresh air, Sis, good to have you back.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby govandals » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:28 am

With the exception of a LG, JS has done a good job setting us up for a BPA draft. BPA, BPA, BPA...

My ideal draft is trade #16 down into the 30-40 range for a 2025 round 1, use that capital to manipulate the board next year and hopefully get the QBOTF. A more likely scenario is a trade into the mid 20's with a 3rd rounder in return, I'd be fine with that. If there is a true game changer at #16, I'd make the pick but please JS, do NOT reach at 16.

My general thoughts:
For the most part, JS has done a good job so far this offseason.
Getting rid of Adams and Diggs was a no brainer. Same for letting Bobby walk away.
Not signing an average guard to a 20M a year contract.
Damien Lewis at 13.5M a year? No thanks.
Dissly and Parkinson got overpaid, I like them as players but not at those prices. Rams paid Parkinson for what they want him to be, not what he really is. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.
Leonard Williams is worth every penny in my book.
I'm lukewarm on the Noah Fant deal, but only because I have no idea how Grubb will use him.
I like the Jenkins signing a lot. He is a good player.
Dodson and Baker are really good values.
i like George Fant, but I wish they brought in a guy with guard/tackle flexibility. I don't think Fant has ever played guard.
No Penix at 16 please. Maybe Rattler in the 3rd.
govandals
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:42 am

No team ever drafts BPA - at least not until the last couple of rounds.
They all talk about it but if you look at who's chosen by what teams they are almost always filling holes or shoring up suspect positions or getting ready to replace a player expected to be too expensive in the next year or two.

They may of course, have set their boards up such that need is the biggest factor in their evaluations so they can say they took BPA, but that wouldn't be the same as us fans version of BPA.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby govandals » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:48 am

NorthHawk wrote:No team ever drafts BPA - at least not until the last couple of rounds.
They all talk about it but if you look at who's chosen by what teams they are almost always filling holes or shoring up suspect positions or getting ready to replace a player expected to be too expensive in the next year or two.

They may of course, have set their boards up such that need is the biggest factor in their evaluations so they can say they took BPA, but that wouldn't be the same as us fans version of BPA.

I suppose that depends on your definition of BPA. Seems to me JSN and Charbonnet were BPA picks.
govandals
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:51 am

Or were they Pete's picks?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:59 am

So we signed a Guard by name of Tremayne Anchrum Jr.
He played for the Rams last year but looks to be a backup or maybe a bridge if the teams selects a Guard in the 2nd round. But he's only 25 so maybe they see a future starter with him.
NFL.com lists him as 6-2 and 314lbs which is about 10lbs lighter than Damien Lewis. I don't know if this means a shift from powerful Guards to more agile players but the draft should show more if any trends develop.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:25 am

The Seahawks are showing interest in Randy Gregory.
He might be worth a 'Prove it' deal and give some depth to account for injuries and fatigue if the Offense sputters.

Here's the story:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/ ... dy-gregory
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:46 am

For those of you wondering who might be a good pick or two for the Seahawks, here is a list of the top 50 players in this draft according to NFL Draft Bible.
It's their view of the players but it also gives us some names to research if interested.

1. Caleb Williams, QB, USC
2. Marvin Harrison Jr, WR, Ohio State
3. Joe Alt, Jr, OT, Notre Dame
4. Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina
5. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
6. Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama
7. Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State
8. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
9. Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
10. Jared Verse, ER, Florida State
11. Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington
12. JC Latham,OT, Alabama
13. Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State
14. Dallas Turner, ER, Alabama
15. JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan
16. Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo
17. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
18. Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU
19. Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington
20. Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State
21. Edgerrin Cooper, ER, Texas A&M
22. Graham Barton, C, Duke
23. Brian Thomas Jr, WR, LSU
24. Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami
25. Jer’Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois
26. Chop Robinson, ER, Penn State
27. Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa
28. T’Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
29. Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma
30. Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota
31. Darius Robinson, DE, Missouri
32. Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas
33. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
34. Laiata Latu, ER, UCLA
35. Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB, Missouri
36. Adonia Mitchell, WR, Texas
37. Cooper Beebe, OG, Kansas State
38. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
39. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
40. Byron Murphy II, DT, Texas
41. Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina
42. Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson
43. Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan
44. Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon
45. Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona
46. Trey Benson, RB, Florida State
47. Payton Wilson, LB, North Carolina State
48. Bo Nix, QB, Oregon
49. Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia
50. Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia

Here are some of the Risers according to them after their Pro Days:

INDIANA held their pro day on 3.5; one transfer name worth monitoring for the 2025 NFL Draft is QB Kurtis Rourke, who will also be eligible for the CFL Draft. The Miami-Ohio transfer threw to Hoosiers wideouts during the workout, demonstrating the ability to make all the throws.

PURDUE held their pro day 3.7; S Cam Allen who brings a great combination of size (6010/195), speed and production, timed in the mid-4.5 range, with a 34.5" vertical jump, 10-3 broad jump, 4.09 short shuttle and 6.78 three-cone. A combine ‘snub,’ Allen who had over 200 career tackles and 13 interceptions during his Boilermakers career, stands a strong shot to be drafted.

ILLINOIS conducted their pro day on 3.8; Speedy WR Casey Washington (6006/197) stole the show, running tin the mid-to-high 4.4-range, with a 39.5" vertical jump, 10-7 broad jump. Washington, who played running back earlier in his career and averaged 11.0 yards per punt return this past season, projects as a priority free agent who could compete for a spot due to his special teams experience.

NORTHERN ILLINOIS also had their pro day on 3.8; QB Rocky Lombardi (6030/223), timed 4.70 in the forty-yard dash, with a 35" vertical jump, 9-10 broad jump and 7.25 three-cone.Lombardi, who threw for nearly 7,500 yards, along with 42 touchdowns (30 interceptions), across 52 games for NIU and Michigan State, showed off his trademark cannon arm.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:05 pm

The Seahawks are expected to sign Johnathan Hankins, DT.
He will be 32 when the season starts and is 6-2 322lbs, so he should help plug up the middle of the defense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:26 am

The Hankins signing is a good one, and pairing him with Williams will make a difference in the middle of the defensive line. Exciting news. This whole free agent period has been much different than I expected. They have added prospects at every position of need, which will make the draft process much more palatable. Consider me gob-smacked. My thought was that they would wait until the end of the free agency period and pick some bargains. Nope, these guys are aggressive. I like it.

Thanks for the top 50 list, there is a lot of variance in lists like it, and it adds to the anticipation and rosy expectations.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:56 am

Old but Slow wrote:The Hankins signing is a good one, and pairing him with Williams will make a difference in the middle of the defensive line. Exciting news. This whole free agent period has been much different than I expected. They have added prospects at every position of need, which will make the draft process much more palatable. Consider me gob-smacked. My thought was that they would wait until the end of the free agency period and pick some bargains. Nope, these guys are aggressive. I like it.

Thanks for the top 50 list, there is a lot of variance in lists like it, and it adds to the anticipation and rosy expectations.

Maybe we are starting to see how much Pete influenced the signing of FAs and setting the team up for the draft. It feels much more like we are building toward something rather than just trying to plug holes and maybe hit on a player or two that could take us deep into the playoffs.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:10 am

I decided to look at the Free Agent signings so far for this year.

Re-signed players:
Artie Burns, CB
Noah Fant, TE
Leonard Williams, DE

New additions:
Tremayne Anchrum Jr. OG
Jerome Baker, LB
Tyrel Dodson, LB
Sam Howell, QB
George Fant, OT
Rayshawn Jenkins, SS
Pharaoh Brown, TE
Nick Harris, OC/OG
Jonathan Hankins, DT
K'Von Wallace, DB

Most were signed to shorter term contracts and unlike previous years they were at reasonable prices.
As well, we are addressing the OL to a degree. None of them look like All Pros along the OL, but it looks like they are trying to build a solid foundation for the future.
At this point it looks promising.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:02 am

ProFootballTalk asks the question of whether the Seahawks might bring Jamal Adams back as a LB.
JS sort of alluded to him possibly being re-signed. I hope they don't at any price.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... linebacker
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby govandals » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:00 am

Yeah, I hope they don't as well, in fact, I'd be stunned if they did. I know it's early in the Macdonald era, but JA just doesn't feel like a Macdonald guy to me.

BTW, JA has a dead cap charge of 20.8 mil this year. Diggs 10.2 mil. Imagine what they could do with that 30 million this offseason.
govandals
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:45 am

Outside of re-signing Williams they didn't go after any big names. It used to be JS's MO in the early years and this year it looks to me like they went after 'Value' signings and maybe some bridge players.
With a new HC there will be changes in philosophy and direction so the shorter term contracts are probably a good strategy in the short term until they can draft players who fit the direction they want to go in and are also highly skilled.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm

Over the Cap shows us broke because we did the right thing and and are taking hits in dead cap $$$... so 'signing big $ players' probably wasn't going to be in the grand scheme this year or even next.
This is the 'turnover' year, like year #1 with Pete and JS a decade + ago.
We need a QB this year to sit behind Geno. I'm for trading DK as we have our last years #1 pick sitting underutilized right now and can use our #1 and DK to move up to around #8 to 10.
Living in Vegas the word on the street is Raiders also want Penix.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am

This is another rebuild, so I wouldn't be opposed to trading back a couple of times to get 2nd and third round picks or maybe a next year 1st or 2nd as well. Then build up the OL/DL.
Unless they think the QB of the future is on the board. Then they have to take him because that opportunity might not come again.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:30 pm

T’Vondre Sweat, the DT from Texas, got his dumb ass arrested for DWI weeks away from the draft. Given that the knock against him was a lack of self-control when it comes to food and a lack of motivation to improve his conditioning, it's not a great look to show a lack of self-control when it comes to booze and a lack of motivation to avoid controversy during job interview season.

My guess is that he drops from a 2nd round pick to a high-upside Day 3 pick for another team. After all of the Carter stuff last draft, I don't see JS going for a controversial character pick like Sweat.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/4/7/24123654/nfl-draft-prospect-tvondre-sweat-arrested-dwi-charge-news
Oly
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:59 am

Oly wrote:T’Vondre Sweat, the DT from Texas, got his dumb ass arrested for DWI weeks away from the draft. Given that the knock against him was a lack of self-control when it comes to food and a lack of motivation to improve his conditioning, it's not a great look to show a lack of self-control when it comes to booze and a lack of motivation to avoid controversy during job interview season.

My guess is that he drops from a 2nd round pick to a high-upside Day 3 pick for another team. After all of the Carter stuff last draft, I don't see JS going for a controversial character pick like Sweat.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/4/7/24123654/nfl-draft-prospect-tvondre-sweat-arrested-dwi-charge-news

REALLY bad timing for a kid about to be drafted! He potentially just lost MILLIONS.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:05 am

Very bad decision by him, but he brings a lot to the table and just maybe this will motivate him to focus on his career.
Unlike last year, this player isn't projected to be a high 1st round pick, but I would take a chance on him if he's there in the 3rd. When he's on, he can change games and we've been looking for a player that can collapse the pocket for years.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:58 am

NorthHawk wrote:Very bad decision by him, but he brings a lot to the table and just maybe this will motivate him to focus on his career.
Unlike last year, this player isn't projected to be a high 1st round pick, but I would take a chance on him if he's there in the 3rd. When he's on, he can change games and we've been looking for a player that can collapse the pocket for years.

He is the kind of flawed prospect that Pete would have been all over. Not sure that the new cadre will want to risk it, but I would be ok in the 3rd or 4th.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:55 am

Sweat might fall even deeper and maybe make it to the 4th round. A 3rd round selection would mean a possible loss of about $7M if some team had hoped to pick him up late 1st or early 2nd, but we will never know how each team thought of him before this incident.

Here's a guy from a smaller school who could help us. The comment is from Ric Serritella from All Access Football:

The NFL Scouting Combine selection process is spearheaded by National Football Scouting, Inc., led by president Jeff Foster. History has shown us that about 90% of the players selected in the NFL Draft each year are invited to the combine. Still, on any given year, there are 20-30 players who slip through the cracks for various reasons. Whether it be late summer transfers who weren't present in the spring, players stepping up due to injury, bust out players who emerge in-season, or new coaching hires, there are numerous potential factors as to why certain players are snubber from the Indianapolis festivities.
This most glaring omission this year would appear to be Northern Iowa defensive tackle Khristian Boyd, whose slight was likely attributed to small school bias. Since 2020, just 47 FCS players have been drafted, including 11 in 2023. That argument can be trashed for the sake of Boyd. The step up in level of competition didn't appear to be a problem during East-West Shrine Bowl practice week. Boyd was a man amongst boys, bullying those who lined up opposite of him with adorned Power 5 helmet stickers.
With 23 NFL teams in attendance at Northern Iowa pro day, Boyd posted 38 bench press reps of 225 pounds. Since then, he has had 16 thirty-visits, including the Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints and New York Giants. He’ll also be holding a follow-up pro day.

Here is what we had to say about Boyd back in February:
Khristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa [6021/320/3148/0948/7658] – Check Northern Iowa. Check. Check. Check. That was most likely what most scouts in attendance had in their notebooks, as the FCS standout constantly wore out players with Power 5 helmet stickers and checked all the boxes along the way. The FCS All-American has a wrench that fits any job, combining size, strength, get off and tenacity. After showing out at both the Hula and Shrine bowls, expect to hear his name called on Day Three come April.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum