OT: Cousins

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

OT: Cousins

Postby TriCitySam » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:03 pm

Wow - Falcons passed on Lamar Jackson at $200M, now sign Cousins for $180M ($100M guaranteed) at age 35 (to be 36) and a year of achilles surgery.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Re: OT: Cousins

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:25 pm

If Cousins could play QB as well as he plays FA, he’d be the GOAT.
Has anyone ever done as well as Cousins without ever having major success?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:27 pm

I don't know how he keeps getting this contracts.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:08 pm

I don't get it, either. The Bucs just signed Baker Mayfield, a player with more upside than Cousins, to a 3 year deal worth $100M with $50M guaranteed. That pales in comparison to the $180M/4 year deal that Cousins got.

It's likely more a product of good timing and a savvy agent than it is quality of play.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:43 pm

RiverDog wrote:I don't get it, either. The Bucs just signed Baker Mayfield, a player with more upside than Cousins, to a 3 year deal worth $100M with $50M guaranteed. That pales in comparison to the $180M/4 year deal that Cousins got.

It's likely more a product of good timing and a savvy agent than it is quality of play.

Well its just the new cap we are working with. I couldn't remember who from CBS sports calculated, but he projected by 2030 there will be $100Mil per year average for top tier QBs. It's hard to imagine but the number just keeps growing year after year. However, Deshaun Watson's gurantee is still the most draw dropping amount of money given to any QB thus far.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:53 pm

This still shines a dark light on how the scale is so tipped for a QB vs a running back.

I am not sure how running backs can fix it, but their production is vital to the success of an offense and yet they are making a fraction of what QBs can get. I know it's hard to show sympathy for athletes who make millions, but with the balance of a team I feel for the running backs can't play into their late 30s and usually will never sniff that much guaranteed money.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:03 pm

RiverDog wrote:I don't get it, either. The Bucs just signed Baker Mayfield, a player with more upside than Cousins, to a 3 year deal worth $100M with $50M guaranteed. That pales in comparison to the $180M/4 year deal that Cousins got.

4XPIPS wrote:Well its just the new cap we are working with. I couldn't remember who from CBS sports calculated, but he projected by 2030 there will be $100Mil per year average for top tier QBs. It's hard to imagine but the number just keeps growing year after year. However, Deshaun Watson's gurantee is still the most draw dropping amount of money given to any QB thus far.

It's a bit of a different topic and worthy of its own thread, but the NFL's revenue is going to top out at some point. With the advent of internet streaming, the industry is going to get more specialized, with people being able to opt of networks like ESPN. They could end killing the goose that laid the golden egg if they allow networks to televise games exclusively over a certain streaming service as they've done with TNF and the Dolphins-Chiefs playoff game as it limits the size of their audience. Gen Z is much less interested in sports than earlier generations. Participation in football in the high schools and colleges is down, due in part to health and safety concerns.

It could be a different world by 2030.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:12 pm

4XPIPS wrote:This still shines a dark light on how the scale is so tipped for a QB vs a running back.

I am not sure how running backs can fix it, but their production is vital to the success of an offense and yet they are making a fraction of what QBs can get. I know it's hard to show sympathy for athletes who make millions, but with the balance of a team I feel for the running backs can't play into their late 30s and usually will never sniff that much guaranteed money.

Although they're still an important part of the offense, the fact is that most running backs are two down players. In addition, they are more susceptible to injury, and their production drops off at an earlier age than other positions. Team's run/pass ratio has changed significantly. Plus, many teams feature running quarterbacks like Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen who take snaps away from the running back. Teams don't spend as high of draft picks on running backs due to these factors. It's a quarterback's league.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:21 am

I remember the first time I saw Cousins play... It was RGIII, Cousins and Russell's rookie years and it was when he came in after we almost ended the career of RGIII. I think the 'skins were ahead by around 14 points and Russell led the Seahawks back to win the game on the road in DC. (my brain thinks this is the year we lost to Atlanta t he next week by FG at the end of the game)
That was not a great look for Cousins and for the next 10 years Cousins did nothing to change anyone's opinion. However, Cousins will probably go down as the #2 most overpaid QB in NFL history. (congrats to Deshawn for being #1)
His record for National TV games and playoffs is still pathetic and shows how much teams are willing to overpay QB's for mediocrity.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:52 am

Cousins contract breakdown according to Florio on PFT:

Later today, Kirk Cousins officially will say goodbye to Minnesota and hello to Atlanta.

He’ll do so with a massive deal that includes two years of guaranteed pay.

Per a source with knowledge of the terms, here are the details:

1. Signing bonus: $50 million.

2. 2024 base salary: $12.5 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2025 base salary: $27.5 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2026 roster bonus: $10 million, guaranteed for injury at signing and fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2025 league year.

5. 2026 base salary: $35 million.

6. 2027 roster bonus: $10 million.

7. 2027 base salary: $35 million.

The deal also includes up to $2 million in annual incentives, based on playing time, wins, and a Super Bowl victory.

The contract pays out $90 million guaranteed, with another $10 million in practical guarantees. That’s $100 million on a two-year deal. The Falcons could decide after two years to eat the $10 million and avoid the $35 million base salary. The final year is a team option, at $45 million.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum