Macdonald has franchise history murals removed

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Macdonald has franchise history murals removed

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:10 am

Thoughts?

"But with coach Mike Macdonald now at the controls, one week after discovering that the famous basketball hoop Carroll employed in the auditorium had been removed from the facility, more history has been erased from the hallowed halls of the VMAC. Those aforementioned murals? After hanging up on the walls for the majority of Carroll's tenure, according to defensive tackle Leonard Williams, they are nowhere to be found and that hallway now lies empty like a blank canvas."

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/seattle-seahawks-leonard-williams-new-foundation-mike-macdonald
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: Macdonald has franchise history murals removed

Postby Stream Hawk » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:42 am

I am completely fine with this. Nothing wrong with wiping the slate clean. Mike is trying to start his own legacy. The players need to stop living in the past and being so complacent. Several key players (new leaders?) seem to have already bought in, so clearly the message is getting across.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:49 am

I think it's unnecessary (franchise history is important) and It makes Macdonald look a bit insecure. But this is likely the last time I'll give it any thought. It's just a thing, not a big thing.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:47 am

I am wondering what sort of record may trigger a hard tug on a short leash for McDonald, Schneider, and maybe even the owner

Like a 4-13 2024 season?
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:18 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I think it's unnecessary (franchise history is important) and It makes Macdonald look a bit insecure. But this is likely the last time I'll give it any thought. It's just a thing, not a big thing.

That's where I am at with it
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:19 am

Uppercut wrote:I am wondering what sort of record may trigger a hard tug on a short leash for McDonald, Schneider, and maybe even the owner

Like a 4-13 2024 season?

Brand new HC, all new staff, franchise reset - they have to give Macdonald at least 3-4 years.

Now, Schneider? He may have a shorter tether.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:58 am

I am surprised so many on here feel this way. But it is a small simple size, of course ;) . My argument to be OK with Macdonald’s actions - is it’s a new era. Imagine after buying a house; are you going to keep all of the previous family’s photos up on the wall? It will be interesting to hear what River says when he’s back.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:10 am

The Super Bowl trophy didn't go anywhere. The article doesn't specify if the murals included all franchise history or just what happened under Carroll*. If it's the latter, then I get it. Keep the trophy to let everybody know the ultimate goal. Take down the rest so the new team can write their own story and make their own glory days.

* the article says iconic moments in franchise history then only makes reference to moments from Carroll's tenure.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:30 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I think it's unnecessary (franchise history is important) and It makes Macdonald look a bit insecure. But this is likely the last time I'll give it any thought. It's just a thing, not a big thing.

Another vote for this take. We've obviously been following this franchise for a long time, so getting rid of the murals seems to erase history that means something to us. But it won't to Macdonald, and if he thinks that it's necessary to build his culture, then whatever. As long has he builds some culture and ties it in a meaningful way to the franchise so it's not just a feeling of mercenaries for hire, then I won't stress it.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

I'm ok with it. The reality is we haven't been contending since we last went to the Super Bowl in the 2014 season, almost ten years ago. If your successful history is ten years ago, then you really want to send a clear message that the past is the past and Macdonald is here to win and the season and his start is a blank slate to build on . So if any players are holding onto the past, time to let it go and get started like they've done nothing which is the case for the past 10 years.

The blank slate cuts two ways. If Mike fails, he'll be out soon too with no history worth remembering. If he can succeed, then he can write his own story on he wall or wherever he feels like. I think the removal of material reinforces that message to himself as well.

I think it's a clarity move for Mike and the team. He's sending a message to the players, himself, and the fans that he's done nothing and everything is starting anew, built from scratch, his way. I think I prefer that to a coach that is unwilling to touch the past out of fear of offense as I prefer a coach with a clear vision, making strong moves to send the message there will be no resting on laurels or history.

It feels like the type of moves Carroll and John made when they first arrived making sure the players knew it's going to be done Carroll's way and no other way.

Same message being sent by Mike. We're doing this his way for good or ill.

I'm good with it. Earn more Super Bowls, make more history. Ten years ago is ten years ago. Pete's gone because he couldn't contend again for a decade. No use looking at success a over a decade ago.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I'm ok with it. The reality is we haven't been contending since we last went to the Super Bowl in the 2014 season, almost ten years ago. If your successful history is ten years ago, then you really want to send a clear message that the past is the past and Macdonald is here to win and the season and his start is a blank slate to build on . So if any players are holding onto the past, time to let it go and get started like they've done nothing which is the case for the past 10 years.

The blank slate cuts two ways. If Mike fails, he'll be out soon too with no history worth remembering. If he can succeed, then he can write his own story on he wall or wherever he feels like. I think the removal of material reinforces that message to himself as well.

I think it's a clarity move for Mike and the team. He's sending a message to the players, himself, and the fans that he's done nothing and everything is starting anew, built from scratch, his way. I think I prefer that to a coach that is unwilling to touch the past out of fear of offense as I prefer a coach with a clear vision, making strong moves to send the message there will be no resting on laurels or history.

It feels like the type of moves Carroll and John made when they first arrived making sure the players knew it's going to be done Carroll's way and no other way.

Same message being sent by Mike. We're doing this his way for good or ill.

I'm good with it. Earn more Super Bowls, make more history. Ten years ago is ten years ago. Pete's gone because he couldn't contend again for a decade. No use looking at success an over a decade ago.

Excellent way of putting it, Asea.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 am

Also, Schneider on Seattle Sports yesterday said they are moving to a digital display system and a lot of the old murals were starting to peel off and get loose. There will be large screens in the VMAC now cycling through pictures of yesteryear.

So, I think it's a Macdonald statement but I also think it's much ado about nothing.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 am

Making the Seahawks Great Again…….
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:53 pm

I mostly agree, although I'd hesitate to attribute insecurity as even a secondary motive. It's bad enough that Mac has Pete still in the building looking over his shoulder, so I can understand why he did it.

It's a big nothingburger IMO.
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:40 am

I think it signifies a fresh start and that the team hasn't accomplished anything yet.
Leave the Lombardi trophy there as a symbol of their goal and that great things can be accomplished together.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum