interesting Post from a Raven's Fan

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

interesting Post from a Raven's Fan

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed May 01, 2024 8:06 pm

I found this interesting read on reddit from a Raven's fan, and yes it's a fan outlook, but the detail breakdown is quite informational.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seahawks/comme ... d_and_his/

With the Pete Carroll era of defense we have gotten use to seeing the long ranging DBs on our rosters for sometime, mostly of course at cornerback. However, with Pete now gone and a new younger defensive mind take over it lends to believe we are going to see a complete different style in our secondary, and more likely a different body type as well at corner.

Could this mean Woolen could be in trouble keeping his spot? I am not saying he would get cut, but loosing his starting job. He was benched last season at times for blown coverage and miss tackles. Spoon definitely fits that mold for an ideal Macdonald corner type, fast and explosive.

Hawks just drafted two Auburn corners in Pritchett and James, both are not very big at all but seem to have some explosive speed to offer. Pritchett was in the top 10 in the 40 at 4.36, and James was at a 4.42. I can see our secondary getting overhauled quite quickly over the next two seasons and becoming the strength of our D.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Re: interesting Post from a Raven's Fan

Postby NorthHawk » Thu May 02, 2024 7:17 am

I would think every player is being evaluated and there might be some surprising cuts or demotions to backup as there is whenever new coaching staffs with a different scheme and ideas takes the reins.
What I like about this submission if it's true is the simulated pressures and deception which we haven't seen much of if any in previous years. Pete's philosophy on both sides of the ball seemed to be line up and beat your man which works well with an exceptionally talented group like the LOB, but isn't so successful when that talent is diminished.

It's going to be an interesting changeover of philosophies and they have to get things fully in motion in the upcoming OTA's so players come to camp with a lot of the basics already in place.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Thu May 02, 2024 7:52 am

The fan suggests that Macdonald will run a 3-4 defense, and that doesn't seem like it would fit the strengths of our #1 draft pick Byron Murphy, at least according to the scouting reports which indicate that his strength is as a 3-tech tackle. If they play him at nose tackle...and I'm not sure who else on the roster we'd line up there....the reports suggest that Murphy could have trouble with double teams, which would happen quite often in that configuration.

It will be interesting to see what kind of defensive alignment we end up using.

As far as Woolen is concerned, he's skating on thin ice. Mike Jackson played lots better last season than he did. Woolen is going to have to turn things around or I do think he's in danger of being cut. He's a horrible tackler, which seems to be more of a fundamental in that you either have it or you don't have it and isn't something that can be coached up.
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu May 02, 2024 1:34 pm

River_Dog wrote:The fan suggests that Macdonald will run a 3-4 defense, and that doesn't seem like it would fit the strengths of our #1 draft pick Byron Murphy, at least according to the scouting reports which indicate that his strength is as a 3-tech tackle. If they play him at nose tackle...and I'm not sure who else on the roster we'd line up there....the reports suggest that Murphy could have trouble with double teams, which would happen quite often in that configuration.

It will be interesting to see what kind of defensive alignment we end up using.

As far as Woolen is concerned, he's skating on thin ice. Mike Jackson played lots better last season than he did. Woolen is going to have to turn things around or I do think he's in danger of being cut. He's a horrible tackler, which seems to be more of a fundamental in that you either have it or you don't have it and isn't something that can be coached up.

True, but he does mention the DL does use a lot stunts and shifts at the start of the play which can cause confusion and free up free rushers from different angles, and maybe Murphy isn't going to be that full NT, and may actually line up on the weaker OL from scouting/film work, causing the offense to slide protection over that guard/center. I watched the youtube link, and they did a ton of shifting up front before ever snap, and it did look quite fun to watch. I would imagine drafting Murphy in the first round, and extending Williams from last year's trade Macdonald trust their IQ level to play in what seems to be a pretty complex defensive scheme. However, Murphy taking on a double team, isn't all that bad considering it should offer the chance for someone else to get home. I can see Spoon used on some delayed rushes.

As for Woolen, I just can't see him getting cut considering he plays on special teams, and he comes cheap to us, and he adds depth. I can see him fading away and not starting, but added depth is a need with our secondary.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby River_Dog » Fri May 03, 2024 4:14 am

4XPIPS wrote:As for Woolen, I just can't see him getting cut considering he plays on special teams, and he comes cheap to us, and he adds depth. I can see him fading away and not starting, but added depth is a need with our secondary.

Good point, and I agree. It's too bad, because Woolen was thought of as one of the best rookie DB's in 2022, only to see the wheels come off the wagon in his sophomore season.
River_Dog
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Sun May 05, 2024 2:32 am

It is important to remember that sophomore seasons are often not up to par. Woolen has had a time now to see what he has done and. to make adjustments. I would not give up on him yet with the physical skills he brings. He may be a bust, but if he learns to make the adjustments he needs, he could. be special.

It will come mainly from the heart and intensity that he brings. His biggest asset is his speed, but that will likely diminish with time, but experience and guile can compensate, and he can use more of his knwledge and instincts to become the player he wants to be.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum