Browner Update

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Browner Update

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m #Seahawks CB Brandon Browner has been suspended indefinitely for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, per source.

And so the legal proceedings commence.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Browner Update

Postby Distant Relative » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:12 pm

Good riddance! Tired of these Jack Wagons not getting the team concept.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:14 pm

So they go from a year to nine month and don't get what they want and go indefinitely from there? NFL is the biggest little 3 year old I have ever seen
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Not that we'll ever know the real story, but it sure would be nice for the truth to come out. Whatever that may be...
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Distant Relative wrote:Good riddance! Tired of these Jack Wagons not getting the team concept.

Brandon has been the ultimate teammate. 100% effort 100% of the time, in practice as well as games.

He was only in stage 3 of the program to begin with because the NFL counted his not showing up for piss tests while he was playing in Canada as failed tests, and been tested 200 times since his return to the NFL with only this latest positive. You get tested that often and your chances of a false positive start gettin pretty darn good.

He's got a very strong legal case, he's not only gonna wind up with his suspension thrown out but his financial settlement with the NFL will dwarf his on the field earnings.

And then he'll wind up a very sought after free agent next year when he's healthy and get even richer.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:24 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:
Distant Relative wrote:Good riddance! Tired of these Jack Wagons not getting the team concept.

Brandon has been the ultimate teammate. 100% effort 100% of the time, in practice as well as games.

He was only in stage 3 of the program to begin with because the NFL counted his not showing up for piss tests while he was playing in Canada as failed tests, and been tested 200 times since his return to the NFL with only this latest positive. You get tested that often and your chances of a false positive start gettin pretty darn good.

He's got a very strong legal case, he's not only gonna wind up with his suspension thrown out but his financial settlement with the NFL will dwarf his on the field earnings.

And then he'll wind up a very sought after free agent next year when he's healthy and get even richer.

Please elaborate on the strong legal case Bob. I have been tested over a hundred times in my career and have never "popped"

Brandon Lost a step this year IMO and once that step is lost it can never be found.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Sue their Asses Brandon - Most of the 12th Man realize what a great player you were for us for the past 3 years.

People should also remember that Brandon did not cost anything - no draft picks and no real cap hit - yet he played at all-pro levels and was without question the hardest hitting cornerback in the league.

I hope all the 12th man stands behind Brandon in his quest for a fair resolution to his situation.

I will never forget this play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU0SbhuPi8k
Last edited by savvyman on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:40 pm

It'd be great if it all works out for Browner to come back, but the Seahawks should still hedge their bets and look for more CB depth next draft or through FA.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:42 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Brandon has been the ultimate teammate. 100% effort 100% of the time, in practice as well as games.

I've no doubt that you're spot-on about his suspension being thrown out, and I certainly hope you're correct about Browner's being a "very sought after free agent next year"; but I don't think the poor guy's gonna "get even richer' in the process — because and only because of how tight-fisted NFL front offices are likely going to portray the guy as being someone who doesn't "get it."

He's certainly no Ndamakong Suh, Browner isn't, mind you. But a good businessman looks at the strengths and weaknesses of potential investments. And I'm genuinely afraid for Browner that this latest peccadillo — whether the poor guy is at fault or not — is going to stain him for the worse in many NFL general managers' eyes.

Nobody ever remembers that a certain someone was found not guilty in a trial.

Everybody remembers that a certain someone was arrested.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:44 pm

savvyman wrote:Sue their Asses Brandon - Most of the 12th Man realize what a great player you were for us for the past 3 years.

People should also remember that Brandon did not cost anything - no draft picks and no real cap hit - yet he played at all-pro levels and was without question the hardest hitting cornerback in the league.

I hope all the 12th man stands behind Brandon in his quest for a fair resolution to his situation.

Not arguing that Browner was a steal and a great player for the Hawks for a few years. I'm just interested about the "foundation" of a lawsuit against the NFL after being suspended last year for four games for a similar situation. Regardless of what happens I don't see his career continuing with the Hawks. This crap has got to stop! I'm surprised it's been so low key in the media up to this point. I think we can all agree it's not the attention Seattle wants.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:54 pm

Here is a backstory as to the case that Brandon has against the NFL.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-bac ... suspension

Brandon's message from twitter today was a farewell to Seattle - the reason why is found in this article - the estimate for any court case against the NFL will be a year long process to a trial date.

I believe that I read somewhere that Brandon was tested over 200 times for Substances? Anyone else read about that? One fail in 200 times is not something that should result in a year banishment.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:07 pm

savvyman wrote:Here is a backstory as to the case that Brandon has against the NFL.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-bac ... suspension

Brandon's message from twitter today was a farewell to Seattle - the reason why is found in this article - the estimate for any court case against the NFL will be a year long process to a trial date.

I believe that I read somewhere that Brandon was tested over 200 times for Substances? Anyone else read about that? One fail in 200 times is not something that should result in a year banishment.

Wouldn't it be twice now, I mean since he had a "fail" last year?
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:12 pm

savvyman wrote:I believe that I read somewhere that Brandon was tested over 200 times for Substances? Anyone else read about that? One fail in 200 times is not something that should result in a year banishment.

It's the same thing that cops do when someone shows up as a blip on their radar: stalk (it's legal when cops do it; it's called surveillance), taunt and dehumanize said blip until the blip does what any human in the same circumstance would do, and thinks of structured, premeditated ways he can use what he knows of the streets to his advantage to fight back, or just goes apespit insane.

Maybe RiverDog can tell us some stories about why some cops do to certain people essentially the same things that the NFL is doing to Browner.

Is it because cops get rushes out of the fact that they have badges?

Do they think they are themselves above the law?

Maybe some of them just have deeply-closeted fantasies of raping males?

I wonder if Roger Goodell might fit any of the above law enforcement profiles?

Hmmmm.
Last edited by rottweiler on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:17 pm

rottweiler wrote:
savvyman wrote:I believe that I read somewhere that Brandon was tested over 200 times for Substances? Anyone else read about that? One fail in 200 times is not something that should result in a year banishment.

It's the same thing that cops do when someone shows up as a blip on their radar: stalk (it's legal when cops do it; it's called surveillance), taunt and dehumanize said blip until the blip does what any human in the same circumstance would do, and thinks of structured, premeditated ways he can use what he knows of the streets to his advantage to fight back, or just goes apespit insane.

Maybe RiverDog can tell us some stories about why cops do to certain people essentially the same things that the NFL is doing to Browner. Is it because cops get rushes out of the fact that they have badges? Do they think they are themselves above the law?

Hmmmm.

Up high for a paw slap Dog!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Brandon's statement:
I want to thank the Seahawks organization for the incredible opportunity they gave me when they took a chance on a player who was out of the NFL and playing in the CFL for 4 years. I also want to thank all of my teammates, coaches, trainers, staff and the 12’s for their support, respect, and friendship and for helping me grow into the player, father, and person I am today. I have been treated with nothing but first class by everyone associated with the Seattle Seahawks and for that I am forever grateful.

Although I disagree with the circumstances surrounding my suspension, I accept responsibility for all of my actions and I apologize for any that causes any unflattering reflections of my family and the Seahawks. I believe in my innocence and will continue to fight with all legal resources available to me to.

Go Hawks!!!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:55 pm

The NFL really left the guy no choice. Even a nine month suspension means he can't sign a deal until mideason next year. No team will have enough money to sign him to anything long term. On top of that he's still walking on a land mine because he's stuck in stage three for his career. Best case, he makes a couple million the next 3-4 years. His lawsuit is worth 10-20 times that amount.

Since the NFL leaked that it was PED violation to begin with, there is a defamation suit that the NFL will probably just settle on. It's too clear to fight. On top of that, this entire process was supposed to be secret. Again, leaked by the NFL. That's gonna cost them as well. Then they get to prove to a Colorado, Washington, and 9th circuit court that they had the right to continue to expect a non-employee to take drug tests mandated for only players bound by the CBA. I'm no predictor of lawsuits but I think the NFL must have wanted to settle this case and not actually go to court. That way they can quietly pay him off and not be embarrassed by how poorly they have administered the drug program. That's all I can figure because if it does go to trial it sure looks like a black eye for the NFL.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Yeah, he was in Canada becoming a CFL All Pro and Gray Cup Champion while the NFL was sending his UA notifications to an ex-girlfiend ... sounds legit :roll:
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:15 pm

Distant Relative wrote:
rottweiler wrote:

Maybe RiverDog can tell us some stories about why cops do to certain people essentially the same things that the NFL is doing to Browner. Is it because cops get rushes out of the fact that they have badges? Do they think they are themselves above the law?

Hmmmm.

Up high for a paw slap Dog!

Police officers are good, and bad. Bad ones make the headlines. Good ones don't. Something stinks with this Browner case. And I think its the fact that he was not playing for the NFL yet still had to pass drug tests. I am sure the Canadian Football League had drug tests as well which he passed. So putting him at a higher level does not make sense.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:27 pm

The crux of the issue is he was penalized for missing tests when working for another employer.
It's like working for K-Mart then going to work for Wal-Mart but having K-Mart demand you get tested.

I'm not a lawyer, but it doesn't pass the common sense test.

I guess players in the NFL will have to file their retirement papers if the go to the CFL and think they might want to come back some day.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:39 am

Unless I'm missing something, and I've been following this quite closely, BB's biggest argument is that he tested dirty twice and in between those failed tests, he missed testing because he was in the CFL. He also stated he had been tested "over 200x since 2010". That seems like a lot...I don't know if I've even pissed 200 x since 2010.

If accurate, Brandon, I don't have much sympathy for you. I have a ton of sympathy for Hawk fans and 100 x more for your team mates. It was the 2nd dirty test, in the middle of our SB run, that has me happy about your departure. I sincerely hope Thurmond has learned something from this.

I doubt we were going to re sign Browner, but someone sure woulda'..probably in the area of 15 mil over the next 2 years with half guaranteed. Not smart and if he has to sit the whole year out, after limited play this year, I don't see an NFL team picking him up. Not only is he getting too big for the position, now he's getting too old. As long as we stay healthy, he won't be missed (much), IMO.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:20 pm

I'll take Maxwell/Thurmond over Browner any day. I love Browner's physical play but don't love his difficulty with quicker receivers.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:45 pm

I've always thought of Browner as a halfbreed "cornerbacker". I was real nervous when we lost him and Thurmond but Lane and Maxwell have done a great job. I'm not so sure the defense isn't tighter now. They get off the ball and faster and I think that frees Earl up quicker.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Browner seemed to set the tone of the physicality of the Defense so in one way he will be missed.
I think if he gets his suspension reduced he might end up in Jax as many Defensive castoffs will until they get it going.
Just that attitude can help them and Bradley might want to take that chance.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Browner helped, but I think the physical tone really comes from Kam and Earl moreso.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:38 pm

IG,

Agreed. BTW. Welcome.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:Browner helped, but I think the physical tone really comes from Kam and Earl moreso.

Hey, a Master Chief sighting! How the hell you doin' brother? Great to see you here, pull up a stool and have a beer.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:54 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:
Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:Browner helped, but I think the physical tone really comes from Kam and Earl moreso.

Hey, a Master Chief sighting! How the hell you doin' brother? Great to see you here, pull up a stool and have a beer.

I'm buying the first round!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:33 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:

My good man Bob! Looking forward to it...
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:41 am

Seems like this story just kind of faded away. Here is a article that I didn't see in this thread yet. This article states that Browner turned down an 8 game suspension so the NFL indefinitely suspended him. It also states that Browner and Thurmond tested positive for marijuana ( Huh? are fricking kidding me?).

Also some posters in this thread seem to imply that the NFL "leaked" the test results. No proof of that yet. Also, what's to say the players themselves didn't tell other team mates what they got "popped" for? I just find it unfathomable that a player would risk his NFL career to smoke a little weed.

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 ... 19xml.html
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:53 am

Distant Relative wrote:Seems like this story just kind of faded away. Here is a article that I didn't see in this thread yet. This article states that Browner turned down an 8 game suspension so the NFL indefinitely suspended him. It also states that Browner and Thurmond tested positive for marijuana ( Huh? are fricking kidding me?).

Also some posters in this thread seem to imply that the NFL "leaked" the test results. No proof of that yet. Also, what's to say the players themselves didn't tell other team mates what they got "popped" for? I just find it unfathomable that a player would risk his NFL career to smoke a little weed.

Really? What then do you call "proof"? NFLN broke the freakin story, including the initial incorrect reports that it was PEDs.

Newsflash: NFLN is the NFL!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:02 am

c_hawkbob wrote:
Distant Relative wrote:Seems like this story just kind of faded away. Here is a article that I didn't see in this thread yet. This article states that Browner turned down an 8 game suspension so the NFL indefinitely suspended him. It also states that Browner and Thurmond tested positive for marijuana ( Huh? are fricking kidding me?).

Really? What then do you call "proof"? NFLN broke the freakin story, including the initial incorrect reports that it was PEDs.

Geesh Bob!, Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

"Sources" reported that they tested positive for marijuana. "Sources" doesn't necessarily mean the NFL.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:00 am

Distant Relative wrote:
c_hawkbob wrote:

Geesh Bob!, Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

"Sources" reported that they tested positive for marijuana. "Sources" doesn't necessarily mean the NFL.

Not at all, just tired of all these demands for "proof" of things readily evident.

It doesn't matter who their sources are, if it's being reported on NFLN it is the NFL reporting it. Just as a story broken on ESPN is the responsibility of ESPN regardless who they cite as sources.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:35 am

That's what upset me most about the Harvin DUI arrest. And it's not just their careers they are putting in jeopardy (not saying Browner was smoking weed), it's that they are hurting their team.

As far as Browner goes, I've pretty much written him off anyway. Thurmond and Maxwell are both good enough to start in his place and as IG indicated, might be better options anyway. I didn't expect us to try to resign him. But I do appreciate the time and effort he spent with us. He was a big part in the formation of this league best defense we now have.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:29 pm

Just because a network reports something doesn't mean the NFL leaked it. I personally believe that it was a source not directly affiliated with the NFL network. No proof here either, just can't see the NFL coming out and blatantly stating the results of a drug test other than to say "so and so has been suspended for a failed drug test. I mean what are the supposed to do? Say Brandon Browner has been suspended again but we can't tell you fans why?

Anyway C bob, I guess we just don't see this one the same and that's fine. Not trying to ruffle your feathers either, you started a good thread and I stated my opinion and ideas about it. I guess time will tell.

Go Hawks! Kill the Rams!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Distant Relative wrote:Just because a network reports something doesn't mean the NFL leaked it. I personally believe that it was a source not directly affiliated with the NFL network. No proof here either, just can't see the NFL coming out and blatantly stating the results of a drug test other than to say "so and so has been suspended for a failed drug test. I mean what are the supposed to do? Say Brandon Browner has been suspended again but we can't tell you fans why?

Anyway C bob, I guess we just don't see this one the same and that's fine. Not trying to ruffle your feathers either, you started a good thread and I stated my opinion and ideas about it. I guess time will tell.

Go Hawks! Kill the Rams!

Does not matter who leaked it, the NFLN reported it, they are the NFL if they reported something that is not true they are liable, its journalism 101.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:08 pm

Distant Relative wrote:Just because a network reports something doesn't mean the NFL leaked it. I personally believe that it was a source not directly affiliated with the NFL network. No proof here either, just can't see the NFL coming out and blatantly stating the results of a drug test other than to say "so and so has been suspended for a failed drug test. I mean what are the supposed to do? Say Brandon Browner has been suspended again but we can't tell you fans why?

Go Hawks! Kill the Rams!

It's not a matter of differing opinions (I made no statement of agreement or disagreement with what you opined), it's a matter of accepting the facts of a situation. The NFL Network is the media arm of the NFL. In a court of law (and this will be a very germane point if Browner winds up suing) the NFL itself will be held responsible for any and all stories they broke, regardless of the individual reporter's source. The ultimate "proof" that the NFL leaked the story is that it was first reported on their very own news program.

*edit* - in other, more succinct words; what Anthony said ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Anytime any governing body tries to unilaterally reduce their own suspension it tells me they Fd up. Then their media arm starts leaking untrue stuff to the public. The fact that Browner is fighting tooth and nail also tells me he feels he is innnocent as opposed to some Barry Bonds, Roger Clemons type figure. Sherman winning his appeal tells me there is an agenda to bust Hawks, ie tampering with the sample of our best defender. it seems an incredible coincidence that two consecutive years a brash, upcoming Seahawks team gets not one but 2 defensive backs suspended simultaneously as they are about to make a playoff run.

Now compare this to the Aaron Hernandez situation where we have a guy who had a known drug habit and tested positive at the combine. According to multiple sources he was regularly using PCP and smoking several cigar wrap joints on a daily basis. He was packing heat and acting paranoid. His head coach(who basically neutered the Patriots security detail) suggested he get a safe house which turned out to be a flop house used to cover up perhaps 3 killings commited by this evil monster. And yet AT NO TIME DID THE NFL EVER POP HERNANDEZ FOR DRUGS. Why? We were subjected to weeks of NFL blather about the Incognito "bullying" but hardly a peep about the beloved Patriots lack of institutional control, certainly no league investigation. And yet we keep hearing how 7 Hawks have tested positive for this or that since 2011 and they always throw in "not counting Shermans failed test which he won on appeal". Well if he won the appeal then STFU about it!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont trust this league, they are sleazier than vice cops. They are the judge, jury and executioner. Goody two shoes Goodell and his multibillion dollar organization which he runs like a third world despot can kiss me where the sun dont shine which is my big white behind. Watch out for the refs my friends. The NFC postseason going through Seattle with our meganerd owner and his high tech noise box full of loutish fans, well its the last thing they want.
Gonna need our A+++ game to get a ring...............
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:37 am

Hiya Master Chief, how you been?

On BB, I have mixed emotions.

A. I don't KNOW the facts - I have bits n pieces from a variety of sources. Spose I should wait to comment. Oh well....

B. I don't know why I continue to be surprised by stupid decisions that impact the City/families/coaches and the team (let alone ticket/merchandise purchasers aka - moi). If the tales are accurate, I just don't get choosing a lil weed over $15M. I can't imagine choosing weed and letting down so many people.

C. Thanks for the memories, BB. Sorry for you that you'll miss out on the run. Sorry for you too that Maxie, Walter T the 3rd & Lane are holding their own if not making more plays this season. BB clearly lost a 1/2 step @ least.

D. Not that perceptions of others should matter, but I've been a hawks fan since before almost every player on this squad was born. To jeopardize this run, to taint/tarnish what're is achieved with an asterix is beyond selfish, IMHO. All the Seaaderal Weedhawk jokes are getting old.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:54 am

Browner set the tone in the early Carroll years in that a DB could be physical an be considered a quality DB.
The others followed his path and now we see Thurmond, Lane, and Maxwell following the same path to success.

I hope his claim is successful and he makes a lot of money from it because in my opinion, the NFL Network made a huge mistake. This doesn't even discuss the demands for testing when he was working for a different employer
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum