$herman: How much?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

$herman: How much?

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:44 am

I see a lot of educated fans in this forum. We all know how good Sherm is and we all know what he brings to the team (on and off). We also know, with apparent certainty, that identifying and grooming DBs is a walk in the park for Pete.

So with that...how much is too much before we let this once in an era DB walk on us?

Based on Revis' ridiculous numbers, well...I don't think we can do that... I'm going to say 13 mil per. I do acknowledge he's worth more, but to someone other than us. Thoughts?
HawkWow
Legacy

Re: $herman: How much?

Postby Anthony » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:07 am

HawkWow wrote:I see a lot of educated fans in this forum. We all know how good Sherm is and we all know what he brings to the team (on and off). We also know, with apparent certainty, that identifying and grooming DBs is a walk in the park for Pete.

So with that...how much is too much before we let this once in an era DB walk on us?

Based on Revis' ridiculous numbers, well...I don't think we can do that... I'm going to say 13 mil per. I do acknowledge he's worth more, but to someone other than us. Thoughts?

there are 2 guys higher on the priority list than Sherman, ET and Rw. At 13 million Sherman would be the #3 highest paid CB. Then of course you will need to pay ET 7-8 million and then there is RW who will be in the 15-20 mil, and of course we have Baldwin, Tate, our LT, and several others. This will be interesting to see how they play it, and what Sherman wants, he may want Revis+ money in which case he will be playing some place else or be franchised.

It will be interesting.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:59 am

there are 2 guys higher on the priority list than Sherman, ET and Rw. At 13 million Sherman would be the #3 highest paid CB. Then of course you will need to pay ET 7-8 million and then there is RW who will be in the 15-20 mil, and of course we have Baldwin, Tate, our LT, and several others. This will be interesting to see how they play it, and what Sherman wants, he may want Revis+ money in which case he will be playing some place else or be franchised.

It will be interesting.[/quote]

Russel Wilson can not even be addressed till after next years season so not much to worry there, I think how ever his salary will be more in the 20-25 mil range by that time if he continues to play like this (what I fully expect BTW). Hopefully Sherman will give the home team a discount but I think also that Earl is more important only because the Hawks are able to plug just any corner in without a problem and are stacked at that position. Cap space will go up next year with 3 mil and there is no way Sidney is coming back for 8.5 mil. Zach Miller cap hit this year is 11 mil but will drop next year to 7. I think Chris Clemons could be a big ? for next year as he will turn 33 and his stats have really dropped off and I know he was coming back from injury and he missed 2 games and his cap hit will go from 8.1 mil this year to 9.6!! next year. But they may opt to keep him and let him play out his contract as at them moment his contract expires Russel will be eligible for renegotiation.
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:10 am

So how much is too much before we let this once in an era DB walk on us?
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:18 am

It isn't beyond the scope of possibility that they let him go if his salary demands don't fit their plan.
The FO has shown in the past that they have a salary structure and they intend to stick to it.
It might be that they think their success with the backups across from Sherm has shown that they can find more players that can make this Defense successful and within the Salary schedule they have Sherm doesn't fit.

I hope he does stay, but the FO might think the cost is too high.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:38 am

As much as the current going market rate for the #1 shutdown corner in the NFL.

Sherm has been underpaid by $10 million a year for the past two years - he deserves whatever he gets in his new contract.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:52 am

savvyman wrote:As much as the current going market rate for the #1 shutdown corner in the NFL.

Sherm has been underpaid by $10 million a year for the past two years - he deserves whatever he gets in his new contract.

And hopefully with the hawks
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:07 am

savvyman wrote:As much as the current going market rate for the #1 shutdown corner in the NFL.

No argument from me regarding Sherm being the best in the game...the question is, do we need to break the bank on the best corner in the game, when we have the best safety in the game along with the best pass rush in the game, formidable corners waiting their turns behind an excellent group of LBs?

Sherm has not so quietly (lol) turned into one of my favorite players, but I will be stunned if we throw 20 mil per year at him.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:20 am

I believe that he actually has a year left on his rookie contract, which gives the Hawks a little leverage at least in the first year. Don't get me wrong I know this is the first year that he can be extended, but its not like he becomes a free agent after this season. In reality we have at least 2 more years that we control him (next year under his rookie contract and then at least 1 franchise year if we chose to go that route). I know that he can counter that with holding out, etc. I am not saying that this happens, and there is no doubt that he has more than earned the right to be paid this offseason, but IMO it will allow us to save a little $, at least in the frist year. I could easily see him signing for 6 years 85 Mil. with 20 mil guaranteed. I could also see him wanting to top Revis contract of 6 years 96 mil, although non of Revis $ was guaranteed.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:32 am

However much it costs us to resign Sherm, he'll be worth every penny.

As to whether or not we will, I believe so but wouldn't be shocked to see us let him walk and go with the next man up ... this would worry me because it seems you can only count on that for so long before that next man just ain't gonna be up to the task, but if there is one area of the team about which I will completely defer to Pete it's the D-backfield. The man's a wizard in that regard.

On a personal basis I sure want us to keep him!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:51 am

Great topic, and refreshing to see people actually mature about the reality of the outcome. The fact is, there is a decent chance Sherm will no longer be a Seahawk.

On the other side of the coin however, Revis's contract is completely void of any guaranteed money. If he blows his ACL, his rear can get cut without a second thought.

The problem with Sherman is "respect". If we offer Sherman let's say, 13 Mil with 40% guaranteed, it still may be a slap in the face because Revis received another 3 Mil.

Here's how I see it shaking down. If the FO can manipulate our cap to keep Sherman, his first year will somehow equate to 16 Mil and one dollar. That's how Sherman rolls.

After that, hopefully in the 10-12 range with a decent amount of guaranteed cash.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:11 am

depaashaas wrote:there are 2 guys higher on the priority list than Sherman, ET and Rw. At 13 million Sherman would be the #3 highest paid CB. Then of course you will need to pay ET 7-8 million and then there is RW who will be in the 15-20 mil, and of course we have Baldwin, Tate, our LT, and several others. This will be interesting to see how they play it, and what Sherman wants, he may want Revis+ money in which case he will be playing some place else or be franchised.

It will be interesting.

Russel Wilson can not even be addressed till after next years season so not much to worry there, I think how ever his salary will be more in the 20-25 mil range by that time if he continues to play like this (what I fully expect BTW). Hopefully Sherman will give the home team a discount but I think also that Earl is more important only because the Hawks are able to plug just any corner in without a problem and are stacked at that position. Cap space will go up next year with 3 mil and there is no way Sidney is coming back for 8.5 mil. Zach Miller cap hit this year is 11 mil but will drop next year to 7. I think Chris Clemons could be a big ? for next year as he will turn 33 and his stats have really dropped off and I know he was coming back from injury and he missed 2 games and his cap hit will go from 8.1 mil this year to 9.6!! next year. But they may opt to keep him and let him play out his contract as at them moment his contract expires Russel will be eligible for renegotiation.[/quote]

Actually yes worry about RW you give Sherman to much and there may not be enough for RW so yeah you need to worry now.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:28 am

Actually yes worry about RW you give Sherman to much and there may not be enough for RW so yeah you need to worry now.[/quote]

I disagree. I am pretty sure FO already knows what they need to spend on RW in the future and therefor already know what they can or can not fork out for Sherman and Earl. There is no way the FO will over bid on both of them just to see them self's loose Wilson the year after. The question is can they keep Sherman and Earl for the $$$ they will have available. Earl is a more of must retain player than Sherman, don't get me wrong I think he is one of the best if not the best but his preformance is helped tremendously by pressure up front. Opposing QB's just don't have much time to sit in the pocket and pick the defense apart because the Hawks DLine will get to him, this result many times that QB's are throwing under pressure and don't get the ball out right and Sherman, Maxwell, Lane etc can make in interception. I think it will be easier to replace Sherman and harder to do Earl and impossible to replace Wilson. I would like to see them keep them all but we will see
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:36 am

i think that Earl Thomas is the best safety in the game.

However, the #1 shutdown cornerback in the NFL is more valuable than a #1 safety. An elite cornerback that can eliminate the opposing team best receivers and take away an entire section of the field to the opposing team offense is very rare. Two great cornerback can free up 9 players to primarily focus on stopping the run. Sherman is the most valuable player on our defense. Now Sherman and Thomas will both be kept by the Hawks because our front office knows they have mined gold in these two players - not just their talents but also in the competitive character and leadership qualities.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:41 am

Dynasty or Money? After he wins a Superbowl this year he'll have to decide whats more important. Should be intresting. Can he have both? I hope so.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby Oly » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:44 am

There seems to be a consensus that our most important re-signs, in order, are:

Wilson -- no brainer #1
Thomas -- without him, the entire defensive scheme falls apart
Sherman -- league's best CB with that being probably the 3rd most important position in football (after QB and LT)

That's a lot of money in three positions if we retain them all, but I think that the FO has to do it, even if it means having to continually rely on rookies outperforming their contracts to make it happen. This is a passing league (except for the Hawks and Niners), and the #1 priority on D is stopping the pass. To me, that means that you need to sign Sherm, knowing full well that it makes it much harder to re-sign the likes of Baldwin, Wright, Tate, etc.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:53 am

Oly wrote:There seems to be a consensus that our most important re-signs, in order, are:

Wilson -- no brainer #1
Thomas -- without him, the entire defensive scheme falls apart
Sherman -- league's best CB with that being probably the 3rd most important position in football (after QB and LT)

That's a lot of money in three positions if we retain them all, but I think that the FO has to do it, even if it means having to continually rely on rookies outperforming their contracts to make it happen. This is a passing league (except for the Hawks and Niners), and the #1 priority on D is stopping the pass. To me, that means that you need to sign Sherm, knowing full well that it makes it much harder to re-sign the likes of Baldwin, Wright, Tate, etc.

Tough words Oly, but I think you are right.
Our receivers are great but they are not Fitzgeralds, etc. We already have our version of Fitz, and its Harvin, whenever he heals up.
So in the meantime we pay our money to what got us the number 1 defense, which is the talents of our secondary. (Of course I also know its our front 7 as well so my props to them of course). To even attempt to shut down the Brees, Mannings and Rogers, you have to start with your secondary and thank god we have these guys playing for us. The attitude is especially something you can't pick up at Walmart. We got disrespected in 05 because our guys played goody two shoes. F that. And F Joey Porter too. Sherman called some of the media scouts and talking heads in the media by name IDIOTS in his last press conference in preparation for the the Cards game. This is what we need. Someone with an attitude to say take that mic and shove it! Sherman backs it up on the field. And in return has guys falling all over themselves at ESPN to say they were wrong about the Seahawks and about Sherman. But mostly about the SYSTEM, and our 3rd, 5th and 7th round draft picks going on to become SUPERSTARS. This is what I relish about PC's team. Because if you think about it carefully it is also a small example of Pete's history and treatment when he was a younger man coaching in the NFL. The team is anti-NFL establishment. They are breaking the mold.
Anyway, I digress.
Other players may restructure, but the guys you mentioned including Thomas who WILL be voted as the BEST defensive player in the NFL, should get their money and stay with us. From what I have seen from PC, there is no way that he will let these guys go. They are the glue that keeps this team together. And yes, I do not say that this will be easy, but if the hard decisions are to be made, this is where we start.

I want to keep Tate, and Baldwin, etc, and if we win a Bowl, you never know we may keep them, via restructuring(their goal is guaranteed money anyway, so a couple of our players may allow this to happen) and get paid in 2 years, they will still be multi millionaires. But others will WALK. Who? I have no idea.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:14 pm

I like it here already. The tough questions shouldn't be dismissed or swept under the rug.

Too many excellent points to address individually. I agree offering Sherman 13 mil would be an insult to him and what he brings to the team. You get the sense Sherman is maneuvering himself into a leadership role that we, IMO, are sorely lacking. But as said above, we are going to have a ton of money tied up in a handful of players. One of those players gets injured and we have a very real problem.

I hate the thought of Sherman in a different uni. As of now, I refuse to even visualize such a thing. Well, I just did...and he was wearing green and white. I won't close my eyes again while contemplating the subject.

We will likely play this out and I doubt the F tag could be used in better fashion. I don't see Sherman getting crazy and accepting any significant home team discounts, but for some reason, he doesn't remind me of a hold out, either. It's been a blast watching him grow. Spouting is mouth off but backing up his every statement. What was once mistaken for arrogance (by me among others) is clearly just a case of unbridled confidence and his constant praise of his team mates makes this point undeniable.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:25 pm

I would also like to see them keep Michael Bennett.
I think they only signed him for one year, but he's been able to bring pressure up the middle as well as the ends and we all know inside pressure was a big hole in our Defensive abilities last year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:44 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I would also like to see them keep Michael Bennett.
I think they only signed him for one year, but he's been able to bring pressure up the middle as well as the ends and we all know inside pressure was a big hole in our Defensive abilities last year.

I couldn't agree more. I think we got him at 5 mil (?) and he is about to probably come close to doubling that number. And this is where a lot of my frustration regarding Harvin comes into play...but I've likely said too much about that subject already. Isn't Avril on a 1 year as well? He's another guy that has contributed in huge fashion. Hope we can get a ring for Clemons this year, I have a feeling it's his last.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:12 pm

I think that cap casualties for next year will be Rice for sure, & probably Zach Miller, especially with the way Willson is performing. I wonder how much cap relief we'd get if Harvin were cut? It seems to me that if we can free up money to sign guys who are actually contributing, that would be the way to go. Our defensive backfield is DEEP!! But I loves me some Richard Sherman, & I feel that he is the most replacable of the 3, (Earl, Sherm, & RW). We'll see if the genius that is John Schneider extends to his ability to work magic with numbers & keep this core together.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:04 pm

We'll see what happens.

It'd be great, obviously, if he ends up staying. I could also see him do what's very typical and take the biggest offer he gets, even from a non contending team.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:32 pm

We are so lucky to have such a young team right now that it affords us the opportunity to really develop a strategy that other teams just don't have.
This year isn't our biggest problem, it's really next year, when we must sign Sherm (or franchise him, which i absolutely doubt) and can start with Russell.

Sherman staying is a given. The 'team' is #1, the Coach is #1 to play for, none of the players says anything bad about the city... I just don't see the team letting him or ET go. If they are both in the DPOY race, they will be paid. It's worth it.

In addition to the obvious, their are other players that I really want to sign, but may not be able to. Hauschka and Ryan. They are both killing it for us this year. Teams generally don't overpay for kickers, but we should. I would keep them over resigning a good DE's like Avril.

I think that Sidney, Clem, and Zach are gone this year or no later than next. Carp and Giacco are both on the edge.

Not sure of his contract status, but I look for Marshawn to be traded at the end of next year to make way for RW's 20m a year contract.
We spent a 2nd on a RB and have Turbin, too. That must of been the 'plan'.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 am

Giacomini, McQuistan, and Carp I think are all replaced next year, with Paul Q being a back up anyway.

This line simply isn't set, outside of Unger and Okung, and even the latter is questionable to bank on long term. I think Sweezy will be challenged next offseason as well. It's a tiresome topic, because it's been a work in progress for years now, yet still remains one of our chief concerns moving forward, if not they main issue, period.

As for Zack Miller, I hope he stays. He's a crucial yet under appreciated cog in the Seahawks' machine. Stats alone don't tell the whole story there. And if he hadn't had to stay and babysit the OL the last couple seasons, his numbers would be significantly higher.

Trade Lynch? Doubt it. Nobody on current roster, including Christine, can likely match either his numbers, intensity, or leadership, as silent as he is publicly.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Seahawker » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Well If you're GMJS you would have to consider/explore a RS trade option, especially with our offseason cap situation over the next two years. If you can reasonably replace Sherman while saving 8-10M and add two high picks, it could be more good than bad for us. You simply can not protect RW3 with journeymen, 7th rounders & Sweezy projects and expect him to play 10+ productive years. Not to mention how many you'll want to keep from Tate, Kearse, Baldwin, Bennett, ect.
If RW ends up making 15-20M per, you won't be protecting your investment giving RS 1M a game.
Not trying to harsh on the O-line or Sherman looking into a nice 2-3 year window stretch. We are in good hands and can trust in whatever JS & PC decide to do.
Even if that means trading away one of the best cover corners to ever play the game.
Seahawker
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Seahawker wrote:Well If you're GMJS you would have to consider/explore a RS trade option, especially with our offseason cap situation over the next two years. If you can reasonably replace Sherman while saving 8-10M and add two high picks, it could be more good than bad for us. You simply can not protect RW3 with journeymen, 7th rounders & Sweezy projects and expect him to play 10+ productive years. Not to mention how many you'll want to keep from Tate, Kearse, Baldwin, Bennett, ect.
If RW ends up making 15-20M per, you won't be protecting your investment giving RS 1M a game.
Not trying to harsh on the O-line or Sherman looking into a nice 2-3 year window stretch. We are in good hands and can trust in whatever JS & PC decide to do.
Even if that means trading away one of the best cover corners to ever play the game.

I totally agree with your logic. Words can't describe how badly I'd love to keep Sherm...but not at the expense of the team, and that is quite possible with so many on the cusp of getting paid. I don't think the FO can even be certain of their plans just yet. I assume many of the conversations end with "let's see where we are at the end of the year". Which begs the question....how will winning (or not winning) the SB influence the decision making process? If we win, do we automatically attempt to keep everyone with the idea of "let's get another one"...which almost never happens, or do they say "OK, we got that out of the way, let's bust some moves now"? I have ran both scenarios in my head numerous times. IF we are going to trade Sherman, the longer we wait, the less we will get and the more complicated signing the others will become.

Zorn said he'd like to keep Zach and I agree 1000% and for all the reasons he pointed out. Rather unfair to tie Zach to the line, then say he makes too much based on catches and TDs. The only way I can see us moving Zach is if we take ASJ, which wouldn't be a bad move when considering the pay difference, IMO. But I'd hate to see Money Miller go. that's for sure.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Not sure of his contract status, but I look for Marshawn to be traded at the end of next year to make way for RW's 20m a year contract.
We spent a 2nd on a RB and have Turbin, too. That must of been the 'plan'.[/quote]

This plays to the idea of staying young & that works, as long as PC & JS can continue their run. Win Forever, right? The money never becomes an issue as long as the mgt can pick rookies that outplay their contracts. Seems to me that this is a thin ice way of doing it, but on the other hand, it makes sense given the NFLPA tier of the money.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:56 pm

There is a lot more "fluid" cap space than people realise on this team. This front office was extremely smart in how they structured contracts, and has been nothing but frugal in re negotiating contracts when necessary. There are quite a few players that may indeed be aloud to walk, or have an restructure or else conversation, Sherman, Thomas, and Wilson aren't part of that group. They have been clear on placing a premium on their "core" players, Sherman IS one. He may not be re signed, but I expect he will, as will Earl and Wilson. Removing players like Miller, Rice, Bryant etc is always an option, and creates space and flexibility. I wish they could keep all of them, but it isn't realistic. Okung is someone I have pointed to that is going to be a huge decision, do they pay top money for a LT that is hurt more often than not? Or do the draft a replacement? Insert Bailey or Bowie? Sign a reasonably priced FA? As much as I wish they could all stay, they can't, I believe Miller, Rice and either Okung or Tate are allowed to walk, possibly Red, Mebane, Clem as well within the next two years. Avril and Bennett have played themselves into bigger contracts or extensions as well if the Hawks want to keep them ( and there is no reason to think they shouldn't).

Some tough decisions coming up, but IMO the re signing of those three will be a priority. Once you have a lock down corner, you do not let him leave. The Seahawks have never in all their years had one, ever, they are rare, and impossible to find. Sherm IMHO will be back.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Regarding Okung, if good T is available and they select him, it might indicate they are seriously considering moving on. Even if they do re-sign RO, a good pick could be another T.

I would suspect the best will be gone by the end of the 1st, but there are a couple of mock drafts that have Cam Erving or Antonio Richardson around the end of the 1st or top of the 2nd. Not that mocks mean much especially before the Jrs have declared or not and the Combine.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:11 am

HumanCockroach wrote:There is a lot more "fluid" cap space than people realise on this team. This front office was extremely smart in how they structured contracts, and has been nothing but frugal in re negotiating contracts when necessary. There are quite a few players that may indeed be aloud to walk, or have an restructure or else conversation, Sherman, Thomas, and Wilson aren't part of that group. They have been clear on placing a premium on their "core" players, Sherman IS one. He may not be re signed, but I expect he will, as will Earl and Wilson. Removing players like Miller, Rice, Bryant etc is always an option, and creates space and flexibility. I wish they could keep all of them, but it isn't realistic. Okung is someone I have pointed to that is going to be a huge decision, do they pay top money for a LT that is hurt more often than not? Or do the draft a replacement? Insert Bailey or Bowie? Sign a reasonably priced FA? As much as I wish they could all stay, they can't, I believe Miller, Rice and either Okung or Tate are allowed to walk, possibly Red, Mebane, Clem as well within the next two years. Avril and Bennett have played themselves into bigger contracts or extensions as well if the Hawks want to keep them ( and there is no reason to think they shouldn't).

Some tough decisions coming up, but IMO the re signing of those three will be a priority. Once you have a lock down corner, you do not let him leave. The Seahawks have never in all their years had one, ever, they are rare, and impossible to find. Sherm IMHO will be back.

Okung's situation is interesting, because of the injury history you mentioned, and it's gotta be a chief concern for our FO when his contract is up.

Rice is done in Seattle.

I get the argument vs Miller, because his contract is among the biggest for his position in the NFL. Still, the guy has more to do with our team's success than most realize, IMO. If our OL can hold it together, I think we're gonna see how key Zack is for Seattle during the playoffs. We caught a glimpse of that in the Saints game.

Tate has increased his overall value tremendously as a punt returner, in addition to finally becoming the play maker our FO envisioned as a WR, over the last year and a half. Clemons, God bless him, is just about done. And while I like Red & Mebane, IMO, neither are irreplaceable. Avril and Bennett, at 27 and 28, respectively, could get some decent compensation coming up without breaking the bank.

In the end, it's our OL that still needs top priority next April. We have to do everything possible to protect our franchise QB.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:44 am

Zorn76 wrote:
HumanCockroach wrote:There is a lot more "fluid" cap space than people realise on this team. This front office was extremely smart in how they structured contracts, and has been nothing but frugal in re negotiating contracts when necessary. There are quite a few players that may indeed be aloud to walk, or have an restructure or else conversation, Sherman, Thomas, and Wilson aren't part of that group. They have been clear on placing a premium on their "core" players, Sherman IS one. He may not be re signed, but I expect he will, as will Earl and Wilson. Removing players like Miller, Rice, Bryant etc is always an option, and creates space and flexibility. I wish they could keep all of them, but it isn't realistic. Okung is someone I have pointed to that is going to be a huge decision, do they pay top money for a LT that is hurt more often than not? Or do the draft a replacement? Insert Bailey or Bowie? Sign a reasonably priced FA? As much as I wish they could all stay, they can't, I believe Miller, Rice and either Okung or Tate are allowed to walk, possibly Red, Mebane, Clem as well within the next two years. Avril and Bennett have played themselves into bigger contracts or extensions as well if the Hawks want to keep them ( and there is no reason to think they shouldn't).

Okung's situation is interesting, because of the injury history you mentioned, and it's gotta be a chief concern for our FO when his contract is up.

Rice is done in Seattle.

I get the argument vs Miller, because his contract is among the biggest for his position in the NFL. Still, the guy has more to do with our team's success than most realize, IMO. If our OL can hold it together, I think we're gonna see how key Zack is for Seattle during the playoffs. We caught a glimpse of that in the Saints game.

Tate has increased his overall value tremendously as a punt returner, in addition to finally becoming the play maker our FO envisioned as a WR, over the last year and a half. Clemons, God bless him, is just about done. And while I like Red & Mebane, IMO, neither are irreplaceable. Avril and Bennett, at 27 and 28, respectively, could get some decent compensation coming up without breaking the bank.

In the end, it's our OL that still needs top priority next April. We have to do everything possible to protect our franchise QB.

I think we can all agree that Sherm Thomas and Wilson aren't going anywhere. That being said, we have some luxuries on defense that many teams don't have. We could become like the Patriots of sorts. And maintain a bit of a dynasty in terms of the quality of our team. Of course with my hatred of the Patriots I can't believe I am actually mentioning their names in this post. But if you can consistently draft the right people that are COACHABLE to the system, and have sufficient athleticism to perform at the position, then you have a situation like this year, where you just plug and play at least on defense.

Our O line has some huge problems with penalties, Carpenter may not be back, and Okung should be okay(although we will have to pay money to the guy), the guy can play ball when healthy. I imagine we will train up his replacement to be nipping at his heels so that when he goes down, (expect it), we don't have too much of a drop off.

Miller? Hard call. I like his hands and the fact that he will be clutch for us going down through the playoffs. I expect Miller, Tate and Baldwin to be in their own three ring circus. Miller has some of the best hands on the team right now. Although all of them are clutch. After this year though? Maybe we might feel comfortable without Miller and his high salary. Hard for me to predict next year's move with MIller. I do think you will see him as Mr. Clutch during the playoffs, which means, that he might be "rewarded" and we keep him. PC is that kind of guy. When you bust your balls for him, and the team benefits, if he can he will do the right thing. Hopefully Miller is flexible as well, and allows the FO to do their magic making it win win.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:18 am

I think letting Tate go would be a huge error. HUGE. Rice, as mentioned above, is deader than disco in Seattle and as of this writing, Harvin should be viewed the same. Baldwin is an absolute stud, we keep him, we keep Tate and hopefully keep Zach, as well. That's the hands team right there and while many called Tate "a poor man's Percy Harvin", I prefer to call him a poor man's Tim Brown, I think Tate would prefer that comparison as well.

The fear I have with Tate, and I'm hopeful his friendship with RW will over ride this, is the fact he was not happy with the Harvin acquisition and has now watched Harvin basically skate through the season, on a huge salary, while likely to get a ring on top of that. We all know Tate can be a bit immature at times (hey...he's still a kid) and I wouldn't be shocked if he exclaimed..."I want Harvin money or I'm gone"...just to emphasize his displeasure with the whole ordeal.

Now, Harvin money wouldn't be realistic, but with handful of games left and all on a huge stage, Tate may jockey himself into being one of the most sought after players without a contract....that concerns me. There's not a team in the league that doesn't want / need another playmaker. Tate could get pricey and I don't anticipate him offering us much of a discount. Time will tell, but I consider Tate a top priority to our continued success.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Seahawker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:18 pm

"The Seahawks have never in all their years had one, ever, they are rare, and impossible to find."

-Dave Brown.

62 INT (50 with Seahawks) 2x All Pro.

RS has 18 INT's playing in an ideal system, hell Maxwell racked up 3 INT's in two games.
Before Sherman does a cash grab & go, he should take a hard look at Larry Fitzgerald's career and remember how quickly guys like Dave Brown & Ken Easley are faded and forgotten. -Because of no superbowls and playing on mediocre teams.

Yes RS & ET are fantastic, but I'm not forgetting #45's 10 INT (2 for TD) season or DB's 62 INT's & 159 games started for the Seahawks anytime soon.

It's ironic that the Seahawks used Brown at FS his first year and then switched him to CB. That's what they should have done with Easley, switch to CB. We could have had two all-pro 6-2 corners on the field together for a couple years.

Dave Brown walked the walk.
Richard Sherman walks the talk.

Not calling you out on it, just sayin'.
Seahawker
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:52 pm

There's nobody on this current roster as good as Dave Brown, IMO.

And Easley? Easley was Earl, Sherm and Kam rolled into one. Not many #45s in the history of this game. Time moves on and It's easy to forget, but with any thought at all, I'd likely still call Easley my favorite player of all time. (A very irritated) Kenny Easley once threw me his jersey in the dome, and security wrestled it away from me before escorting me from the stadium....then called my dad, threatening to revoke his seats. Bastage.

I'm not sure 45 played another game for us after that day and I don't recall a time I was more ashamed of this franchise.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Seahawker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:51 pm

HawkWow wrote:There's nobody on this current roster as good as Dave Brown, IMO.

And Easley? Easley was Earl, Sherm and Kam rolled into one. Not many #45s in the history of this game. Time moves on and It's easy to forget, but with any thought at all, I'd likely still call Easley my favorite player of all time. (A very irritated) Kenny Easley once threw me his jersey in the dome, and security wrestled it away from me before escorting me from the stadium....then called my dad, threatening to revoke his seats. Bastage.

I'm not sure 45 played another game for us after that day and I don't recall a time I was more ashamed of this franchise.

I hear you HawkWow,

Watching Easley get traded to the Cardinals was the 2nd saddest thing I've witnessed Hawkwise behind that travesty in Detroit.
The whole play with pain, ibruprofin thing and the franchise afraid of a lawsuit, turning their backs on him. He's still not gotten over the Seahawks abandoning him while getting his liver transplant in Seattle. Over 300 schools tried to recruit him out of HS, 4th overall in the draft. Bill Walsh wanted KE over RL. Coulda went NBA, NFL, damn near beat the 40whatever ranked tennis player in the world in a charity exhibition until they stopped the match. Todd Christensen said Kenny Easley was a better safety than Ronnie Lott. He prefaced it with, "And this is no knock on Ronnie." If anyones opinion should matter, it would be Christensen's.

The Seahawks used him as a mercenary and being a fierce warroir he never blinked, and then it was too late.

I just hope that Kenny knows Seahawk fan's true appreciation of his play on the field.
Seahawker
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:25 pm

Bro...I had chicken skin the entire time I was reading your post. Seriously.

Let us hope this acquisition of Percy Harvin doesn't become #3 on your list. I seriously believe it to be a possibility. After losing the way we lost today, the team wouldn't be comprised of humans if there's not a degree of finger pointing and I would have to think Harvin's name will be mentioned prominently in such discussions. The fact he went and found a doctor to tell him to have the surgery, despite our docs telling him otherwise, can't be sitting well with the team on evenings like this. I know it don't with me.
HawkWow
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum