Front Office Confidence

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Front Office Confidence

Postby Mo the Toe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:02 pm

I heard on the radio today that Pete Carroll was vote by players as the coach you would most like to play for. This just confirms my confidence in the direction the Hawks are headed and their ability to stay there thanks to Petes direction but also John Schneiders decisions. The Seahawks will never again rebuild. they will just reload. Free agents want to come to Seattle and Pete seems to get the best out of his players. As a disgruntled M's fan football season is Joyous.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Re: Front Office Confidence

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Mo the Toe wrote:I heard on the radio today that Pete Carroll was vote by players as the coach you would most like to play for. This just confirms my confidence in the direction the Hawks are headed and their ability to stay there thanks to Petes direction but also John Schneiders decisions. The Seahawks will never again rebuild. they will just reload. Free agents want to come to Seattle and Pete seems to get the best out of his players. As a disgruntled M's fan football season is Joyous.

A players coach. We all knew that, but the love they have for him is truly special. And the love and the loyalty PC has inspired the players to have for each other.
Its not only PC but the other coaches that have bought into his philosophy. What a beautiful thing to watch.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:36 pm

I once hated the idea of "these USC guys coming to Seattle". At least I can say I was half right. ; )

Easy to understand why the players would love Pete. He doesn't conduct himself like "an old coach" that can't relate to his players. This helps him to get his methodologies and philosophies across much easier than a guy like Coughlin (while a great coach in his own right).

If I have any reservations about Pete, and I will accept your flames for this, we seem to be having an issue with discipline among the troops. This is too easy to dismiss by citing the fact "we are very young"...but I think it goes a bit deeper than that. The PEDS have been a problem as has recreational drugs (I couldn't think of a different word). I understand you can't babysit these guys, but bringing in malcontents like Harvin and (alleged) rapists like Cox, makes me wonder how far Pete is willing to venture into the darkness for a championship (?).

Like many of you, I have been a fan since day 1. I have taken the losses as hard as anyone... sometimes a bit over the top, I'm certain. But I don't want to win at any expense. I hope Pete reels things in a bit this off-season. With a title under our belt, there will never be reason, or an excuse, for signing players like Pariah Cox, IMO. YMMV.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:39 pm

Being noticed league wide as well as the success might be the difference in attracting some special FAs when they go looking for them.
Not every Free Agent would fit what we do, but there are a number that will and maybe we can get them to come here - and maybe get a better deal when keeping players as their contracts come up for renewal (see the Sherman thread).
Enjoying your work is a big part of being a success. It might keep some key players here - and maybe bring some back if they leave.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43 pm

HawkWow wrote:I once hated the idea of "these USC guys coming to Seattle". At least I can say I was half right. ; )

Easy to understand why the players would love Pete. He doesn't conduct himself like "an old coach" that can't relate to his players. This helps him to get his methodologies and philosophies across much easier than a guy like Coughlin (while a great coach in his own right).

If I have any reservations about Pete, and I will accept your flames for this, we seem to be having an issue with discipline among the troops. This is too easy to dismiss by citing the fact "we are very young"...but I think it goes a bit deeper than that. The PEDS have been a problem as has recreational drugs (I couldn't think of a different word). I understand you can't babysit these guys, but bringing in malcontents like Harvin and (alleged) rapists like Cox, makes me wonder how far Pete is willing to venture into the darkness for a championship (?).

Like many of you, I have been a fan since day 1. I have taken the losses as hard as anyone... sometimes a bit over the top, I'm certain. But I don't want to win at any expense. I hope Pete reels things in a bit this off-season. With a title under our belt, there will never be reason, or an excuse, for signing players like Pariah Cox, IMO. YMMV.

I think Pete is a guy who is willing to give someone another chance. Maybe he's too forgiving, but that's part of his positive approach.
Players seem to like that about him as it allows him to treat them like adults - even if they don't act like it at times.
You have to weigh the good with the bad with that philosophy and as long as the goods are ahead of the bads then it should be OK in the long run.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:08 pm

I can understand that mentality with Harvin...he was worth the roll of the dice and I've not called his signing stupid. Risky yes, but the potential for reward counters the risk. But Cox? He's not exactly the Harvin of DBs and 31 other teams passed on him. He offers very little in the way of reward while risking the fabric of the team. I have researched the situation thoroughly and have concluded Cox is guilty of sexual assault and lying to the police. He is certain to lose his civil suit. His signing, IMO, suggests "we will do anything to win". If others believe that is our mantra, we shouldn't be surprised when penalties and suspensions seem a bit excessive when it comes to our Hawks. There is no coach, at this time, that I would rather have than Pete...but I'd be lying if I said I'm not starting to question his ethics a bit.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:47 pm

I agree all the positive tests are embarassing and hopefully that is being addressed. But the fact that we have the great fortune of depth to have guys that can step up for knuckleheads without missing a beat it a testament to the front office. Probably saved us homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Pete Carroll is coming into a stage in his life that those of you familiar with Mazlows hierarchy of needs know to be called the self realization stage. I read his book, "Win Forever", it told me that it has taken him his whole career to come to this point. He never had a coaching philosophy before halfway through his years at USC. What we will witness moving forward is the Self actualization of Pete Carroll. I've seen his actions be swift & brutal regarding players who don't fit his plan, (remember LenDale White)? So I'm not worried that he takes a chance on a player of questionable character. If that player doesn't fall in with the big picture, he's gone, period.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:16 pm

I should probably get his book. I'm kind of fascinated with his ability to motivate. I wasn't a big believer in his hiring at the start but I have ecome around. 12-2 speaks for itself. AThe whole jackson and Flynn hting was depressing and I wasn't sure why they made the quick change to Russell Wilson at first. I sure wee what they were seeing now.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Fair and balanced replies. Thanks for the book tip, I will order it.

Speaking of Lendale White and / or questionable character.. anyone ever feel like we should have grabbed Bush to complement Lynch? Not as electric as Harvin but still explosive, less money and despite his antics at SC, appears to have been a team guy that is always a threat to bust one. I do know he has had his injuries as well...but at least they were detectable.....

That 1 spot spent on Harvin could have landed us a Patterson / Hopkins while the 2 spot could still have been used for Michael (to ultimately replace Lynch) while trading Turbin (who I like) for a 4th, using that pick to move up if needed.

I'm not doing the hindset 20/20 thing. I was thinking Bush before we announced Harvin, but dismissed the idea due to the improprieties at USC. Probably something Pete would sooner put behind him. He probably loathes Reggie Bush, anyway. I know I would.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:01 pm

iI think they were going for a homerun with Percy. He has so much upside ability wise and more productive years left if healthy. Alas, a standup double is all we can hope for now.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:22 pm

IF we make the Super Bowl - and at this point it's a big IF - and Harvin is ready to play, he could be the difference in that game.
That's what home run hitters are like. All it takes is one chance and the whole game can change.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:11 pm

I will concede that Harvin offered me a glimmer of hope when he brought that ball out of the endzone vs the Vikes. It's been a damn long time since he's played football (wk 10 of 2012?) and that concern was muted with that return. He looked like he was shot out of a cannon, but then again, I was use to looking at Kearse and Turbin, lol.

Harvin is definitely a rare talent, there's no denying that, but I think Willie McGinest summed up my feelings in saying "Availability trumps ability every time". IF he wins us the SB, I will stand up and applaud him (duh) then return to questioning the acquisition. Just being honest. Harvin is the one that made me feel this way about him, but like all Hawk fans, I am forgetful, if not forgiving, and he just needs to turn the corner. IF and when he does, I will be ecstatic that he's a part of this team.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:00 pm

Hey Moe the Toe!
PC has wildly outperformed my expectations. When the transition happened I was embarrassed by the way the firing of Mora was handled and thought we were replacing a young rah rah guy with an older rah rah guy.Obviously PC has proven to be a very good coach, master motivator,and talent evaluator. He has our Hawks on the precipice of going where they never have before. My one remaining question is whether he can overcome his admitted "hormonal moment" tendencies and not make a bad decision at a critical moment in a one and done playoff game. I dont want to be a downer, but anything less than a SB win is going to be viewed as a huge disappointment.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:55 am

Pete's NCAA experience has really paid off for his 2nd stint in the NFL.

He can identify with his guys as well as any coach in the league, even though he's also one of the oldest around.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:26 am

Hey tawk,
Glad you got your username back on this site. I was mostly just a lurker the last couple years at the old site. Thought I better give my support to the Shack and opine a little bit. I think this is going to be a great place for some Seahawks info. Everything sure seems to be pointing towards a great day in February.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum