Is Jim Harbaugh going to move on?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Is Jim Harbaugh going to move on?

Postby Steady_Hawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:12 pm

At first I scoffed at the idea, but then I heard on the radio today that he was offered 10 Mil a year plus a small percentage of revenue from the sports program.

That's not a small pay raise. He's making 5 Mil right now at San Fran.

What's your take?
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Re: Is Jim Harbaugh going to move on?

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:08 am

What sports program? I'll guess Texas.

Most NFL head coaches do not willingly step down to the colleges. Recruiting is a b****, no one likes the NCAA regulations, boosters are a royal pain, your a wet nurse to a bunch of teenagers, etc. In the NFL, all you have to worry about is football.

So I say no.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:24 am

He'll get an extension soon in SF. Won't be 10 mil per, lol, but he'll get a raise and stay.

It makes little to no sense for him to go back to the NCAA. Been there, done that. He didn't win a national championship, but that's pittance compared to the SB, which his brother has already won - beating little brother no less - in the process.

That said, I'm not sure how long a coaching career he ends up having. Guy is way too stressed at times, even in the context of being a HC at this level, and he may experience burnout a lot sooner than people think.

JH is a good coach, but his style is gonna take its toll on him internally, IMO. Meanwhile, I'm glad Pete is 62. I think he's looking to stay in Seattle until he retires, which won't be for another 5 yrs or so, if I were to guess.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:13 am

Zorn76 wrote:He'll get an extension soon in SF. Won't be 10 mil per, lol, but he'll get a raise and stay.

It makes little to no sense for him to go back to the NCAA. Been there, done that. He didn't win a national championship, but that's pittance compared to the SB, which his brother has already won - beating little brother no less - in the process.

That said, I'm not sure how long a coaching career he ends up having. Guy is way too stressed at times, even in the context of being a HC at this level, and he may experience burnout a lot sooner than people think.

JH is a good coach, but his style is gonna take its toll on him internally, IMO. Meanwhile, I'm glad Pete is 62. I think he's looking to stay in Seattle until he retires, which won't be for another 5 yrs or so, if I were to guess.

Yeah you notice a good point. I never thought about the effect his rants and whining might have on his health.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:50 am

RiverDog wrote:What sports program? I'll guess Texas.

Most NFL head coaches do not willingly step down to the colleges. Recruiting is a b****, no one likes the NCAA regulations, boosters are a royal pain, your a wet nurse to a bunch of teenagers, etc. In the NFL, all you have to worry about is football.

So I say no.

No? To a 5Mil a year raise and 10% of revenue? Just to be a wet nurse to a bunch of teenagers. If it's true I bet he go's. I think there is some tension between Harbaugh and the GM.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:29 am

Distant Relative wrote:

So I say no.

No? To a 5Mil a year raise and 10% of revenue? Just to be a wet nurse to a bunch of teenagers. If it's true I bet he go's. I think there is some tension between Harbaugh and the GM.

DR I think you are on to something.
Coaches for premier teams just don't quit without a reason. He does not have the powers of PC. And the tension is there.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:34 am

Distant Relative wrote:

So I say no.

How many successful, active NFL coaches have gone to coach in college? I can't think of any. And there's been some pretty decent college jobs open up recently (Ohio State, USC, Penn State), and no active NFL head coach has been even rumored as interested.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:44 am

Distant Relative wrote:

So I say no.

10 mil a year and 10% of the 126 mil a year revenue? 22.6 mil a year seems a bit high, but hey everything must be bigger and better in texas. I hope he stays, even though I hate his guts he has helped making our division one of the toughest in the league and you can only become the best when you beat the best.
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:58 pm

Guys, think about this for a second. You come to a league where you have a team stacked with talent, you make your runs and get close but fail. In the meantime another team is quickly rebuilding and becomes better than you. You get an offer for TWICE THE MONEY AND a small percentage(between 1% and 3%) to go to a much less stressful environment. The fact is the Niners may never control this division again with this up and coming Seahawks team, Jim has to know this.

I'm not saying he leaves, but there's a lot of green grass in that field over there.

BTW, as someone already mentioned above, Jim hasn't done jack in college. He still has something to prove there IMO.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:Guys, think about this for a second. You come to a league where you have a team stacked with talent, you make your runs and get close but fail. In the meantime another team is quickly rebuilding and becomes better than you. You get an offer for TWICE THE MONEY AND a small percentage(between 1% and 3%) to go to a much less stressful environment. The fact is the Niners may never control this division again with this up and coming Seahawks team, Jim has to know this.

I'm not saying he leaves, but there's a lot of green grass in that field over there.

BTW, as someone already mentioned above, Jim hasn't done jack in college. He still has something to prove there IMO.

So after just 3 years in the NFL and 10yards away from a Lombardi, Harbaugh is going to give up, defer to the hated Seahawks, and take a step down because he didn't accomplish anything in college?

The only reason would be the money they're throwing at him. But what what all is there in life that $10M can buy that $5 M can't?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:34 pm

I'd love for him to take that college gig at Texas, I just don't see it happening, even for a wage as ridiculously big as that.

Lucrative and rewarding aren't necessarily interchangeable terms when it comes to coaching.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:44 pm

If I were the AD at UT, I wouldn't trust the Norman Bates looking / acting Harbaugh on my campus. The first loss to Oklahoma and both boosters and fans will be calling for his job. Next thing you know, Jim Bob is up in the tower with a rifle. I wouldn't send my kid there.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Didn't Harbaugh have some type of heart issue last year or the year before?
If so, it might be a consideration for going. On the other hand, his competitive nature might keep him in the NFL to finish the job he just missed on last year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm telling you there is something rotten in the 9er's stew. Wasn't Harbaugh offered an extension last year and turned it down?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -overblown
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:52 pm

If there is that much dough on the table and perhaps some friction to boot, one has to wonder. Maybe a raise, more control or both will cause him to stay, but one never knows.

When the 49er brass say they wouldn't stand in his way should he decide to leave, that is not a ringing endorsement (or are they just being nice?).

I'm tired of seeing the dork in our division; I wish he would leave. But he probably isn't going anywhere.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:02 am

Hard to think too much. Yes I do not like the man, but in a way I remember how steel sharpens steel. And thus it has been fortuitous that our team has had to overcome so much and get better with such high quality people in small part because of Harbaugh.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:22 am

NorthHawk wrote:Didn't Harbaugh have some type of heart issue last year or the year before?
If so, it might be a consideration for going. On the other hand, his competitive nature might keep him in the NFL to finish the job he just missed on last year.

Consideration for what? Staying or going?

Both jobs are very high stress. I'm not sure if either offers an advantage over the other.

IMO if Harbaugh had liked the college jobs, he would have opted to coach at his alma mater when Michigan was courting him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:35 am

The more I see Hairball playing his cute little games with the media the more I wonder. For all his perceived success he is the guy who lost a SB, putting him in a class of ONE as a 9ers head coach. And he will always be linked to the decision to bench Alex Smith after a concussion and replace him with the vapid, empty headed running back Kaepernic. As has been mentioned he has to be looking at what Seattle is doing and realizing he has at a minimum an annual dogfight on his hands for many years to come. MOF the entire division is good enough to render his 9ers completely impotent in a few short years. Obviously Texas isn't going to tank an entire year of recruiting so he may be in the situation where he would have to resign while the 9ers are still viable in the postseason but with his unpredictable narcissistic personality who knows
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:08 pm

So after just 3 years in the NFL and 10yards away from a Lombardi, Harbaugh is going to give up, defer to the hated Seahawks, and take a step down because he didn't accomplish anything in college?

The only reason would be the money they're throwing at him. But what what all is there in life that $10M can buy that $5 M can't?

There's a big difference with the NFC West now then there was 3 years ago. The Hawks are now a terrible rival with a QB who IMO will be acknowledged as the best QB in the league soon enough. You have the Rams who are becoming more and more potent each passing year. The Cards? They kind of came out of left field. Unreal to think 3 teams in the same division could end the regular season with 10 plus wins!

Top that off with the fact that your best defensive player, Justin Smith, is going to retire. Your best WR is fragile and his big contract in on the doorstep along with Kap's, Iupati's and Aldon Smith! You realize how much high end DE's make right? Smith alone could be looking at the 15 Mil range. Peppers got 17.5 I think? Didn't Mario Williams get close to 20 Mil a year?

As worried as some of us are about our own main three, they are in a far worse position because their guys are coming up sooner and that means cutting critical players and lunch pail guys as well. That's a huge one year advantage.

And finally, what's the difference between 5 and 10 Mil? After taxes, a lot. For someone without ambition, not too much, but with someone who has some dreams, enormous difference.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum