Do the 9ers keep Kaep?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Do the 9ers keep Kaep?

Postby HawkWow » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Unsure if this is Hawk forum appropriate, but it's a subject that definitely effects our Hawks. I have been kicking this around in my head since week 2 and would like the opinions of others on the subject:

What happens if Kaep's people want to play hardball with the 9ers, who have no real talent at back up?

What if they demand top 5 QB money, citing his SB appearance in year 1...then blaming his year 2 decline on Harbaugh and his change of strategy in practically eliminating the RO?

What if they demand a 5 year 100 mil deal?

Do the 9ers let him walk or do they pay the sub-par QB of their future top QB money?

We keep hearing how great that SF FO is, I think we are about to find out whether they are worthy of such high praise. Me? I'd show him the door if he expects more than half of the above. How about you?
HawkWow
Legacy

Re: Do the 9ers keep Kaep?

Postby rottweiler » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:14 pm

I think they will.

I have my fingers crossed that they'll draft that little punk-bitch Johnny Manziel in the Draft, though.

I can hardly wait to see Bruce Irvin flatten him.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:21 pm

The business side of the NFL is brutal. I think it's a case of "What have you done for me lately", & they wouldn't hesitate to dump the bicep kisser if he decides to play hardball with them especially if the niners don't have a game in the playoffs where he steps up & takes over the contest which results in a victory. We would need to see how the season plays out for them before we can address a question like this.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:The business side of the NFL is brutal. I think it's a case of "What have you done for me lately", & they wouldn't hesitate to dump the bicep kisser if he decides to play hardball with them especially if the niners don't have a game in the playoffs where he steps up & takes over the contest which results in a victory. We would need to see how the season plays out for them before we can address a question like this.

Brutal business indeed and in today's game, that works both ways.

Hopefully a 9er exec will stop by and read this thread. Time is of the essence and I've got the crystal ball going: Worst case, the 9ers get eliminated in the wild card. Best case, another butt-kicking at the Clink. That's how their season will play out. ; )

I hear ya' on Manziel, Dog. I'm hoping the 9ers sign Kaep to a lucrative extension and the Rams draft Manziel (aka RG4). Palmer has become something of a genius in getting teams to buy into his thing, so hopefully he can keep that magic working with Zona . This division is becoming the epitome of parity and It's the team with RW that's going to win it.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:05 am

I hope that smug Kap and his smug coach stay together like Brady and Billicheat.

Only thing is that the Kap is no Brady, and Hairball is no Beillicheat. Who knows what will happen. Who knows. I hope they stay together though, we need a large target like them to hate.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:29 am

Since Kaepernick is Harbaugh's guy, I think he'll stay in SF.

As for CK's next contract, it'll be interesting to see how much of it is guaranteed, which is everything in the NFL.
The link below reveals some interesting things. For example, Joe Flacco, who singed a 120,000,000 after last year's SB win, only has 24% of it assured to him. Just above him is Matt Ryan, who has 40.5% of his 103,000,000 coming his way.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salari ... osition=QB

It's anyone's guess where Colin fits in this chart. Regardless, Tony Romo did all QB's a favor for raising the bar while achieving nothing during his career as it currently stands, and for the foreseeable future:)
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:00 am

YES! Of course he will. As much as we don't like Kap'n bicep smoocher.... He's a damn solid QB. The game still needs to slow for him, but his overall passer rating is well above 90 - for a lot of his games as a starter, he's had very few weapons. He's a franchise type QB and you just don't get rid of those.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:47 am

I am certainly glad he's not this franchise's QB. If he were, I'd call QB a priority in this next draft. Kaep, if contained in the pocket, is less than special. He benefits from arguably the best O-line in the league and still refuses to see 2nd and 3rd options. Whether he has access to a plethora of weapons or not, won't change his tendency to lock on his primary target. When he scrambles, his head is all over the place, eyes seldom downfield. I have seen improvement in him over the year, but nothing that makes him scary from the pocket.

The 9ers can't look at this issue like they can win a lot of games with Kaep (while his line is intact and allowing a running game). If they don't have a QB that can beat Seattle, they might as well not have a QB, they're not paying for 2nd place. Had we played to win, we would have swept SF this year. I don't think you throw the bank at a guy that can't win your division. If he takes 10 mil per, I suppose you keep him. 15 and you send him packing, IMO.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Zorn76 wrote:Since Kaepernick is Harbaugh's guy, I think he'll stay in SF.

As for CK's next contract, it'll be interesting to see how much of it is guaranteed, which is everything in the NFL.
The link below reveals some interesting things. For example, Joe Flacco, who singed a 120,000,000 after last year's SB win, only has 24% of it assured to him. Just above him is Matt Ryan, who has 40.5% of his 103,000,000 coming his way.

It's anyone's guess where Colin fits in this chart. Regardless, Tony Romo did all QB's a favor for raising the bar while achieving nothing during his career as it currently stands, and for the foreseeable future:)

Very interesting, Zorn...and appreciated.

As for Kaep being Harbaugh's guy, I agree, but Harbaugh's track record isn't so good when he anoints a QB as his guy. Even though Kaep benefitted from the Alex Smith deal, his agent will be smart enough to consider the way that went down when negotiating with the team. Karma has a way of appearing when least expected. Kaep has taken serious heat around the league this year...all after being built up like superman last year. The main reason for his digression was Harbaugh moving away from the RO. We all know that was to preserve Kaep, but he may see things a bit differently with fewer companies pounding down his door with endorsements. And I could be over-thinking all of this too.

Dayum this Panther D is spooky. Just happy we will have them at home.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:55 pm

I think that's just it. The media (fans too, I guess) jumped all over the Kaepwagon and told us we were watching the dawning of the new age QB. The strongest, fastest badassss ever (right, Jaws?). So when he needs time to let the game slow down for him, everyone totally bails. He is getting better this year. He does have the best line in football along w/ a nice running group and a great D. So does RW (ok, not the o-line part).... It's one of the reasons many pundits are not seeing Russell's accomplishments the way we do. How many times have you heard - "what would Luck or RG3's record be on the Hawks?" (I, for one, don't think it'd be as good).

All this to say Kaep was built up so much, that outside of winning the SB, his 1st full season as a starter would be a failure. He has lots to work on, for sure. And yes, the niners should draft a QB as we should if we didn't have Tjack as an outstanding back-up.
Last edited by Hawk Sista on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Let me just simply say, if the Cowboys kept chokemo and paid him 100 Mil then Kap may be given a lifetime contract. :D
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:Let me just simply say, if the Cowboys kept chokemo and paid him 100 Mil then Kap may be given a lifetime contract. :D

This is my hope.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I think that's just it. The media (fans too, I guess) jumped all over the Kaepwagon and told us we were watching the dawning of the new age QB. The strongest, fastest badassss ever (right, Jaws?). So when he needs time to let the game slow down for him, everyone totally bails. He is getting better this year. He does have the best line in football along w/ a nice running group and a great D. So does RW (ok, not the o-line part).... It's one of the reasons many punits are not seeing Russell's accomplishments the way we do. How many times have u heard - what would Luck or RG3's record be on the Hawks? (I, for one, don't think it'd be as good).

All this to say Kaep was built up so much, that outside of winning the SB, his 1st full season as a starter would be a failure. He has lots to work on, for sure. And yes, the niners should draft a QB as we should if we didn't have Tjack as an outstanding back-up.

Excellent points, especially regarding Griffin and Luck with the Hawks, though I think Luck, much more mobile than he is credited for, like Wilson would do well anywhere.

The problem with Kaep's blemishes...while correctible, it will be like correcting a poor golf swing. He doesn't strike me as the most cerebral of QBs, and learning to trust himself and his reads could be a problem based on that. But again I will give him credit for holding it together, without running (ala Vick) at the first hint of trouble (this year). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the guy is garbage, I'm just saying if he is looking for top tier money, they should tell him to keep looking.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:23 pm

I think he'll look for and get big $$$ in SF. And I'm afraid to say it, I think he'll have a nice career there.

RW was as off as a QB could be today. I know he didn't have time and our wideouts let him down to some degree (zebras too), but I wouldn't trade anyone for him. The messaging can start. He's lost 2 of the last 3 games with everything to gain from making a few more plays. His passer rating was bad against SF and Zona - there could be rumblings. He had a dismal day - but he's still my/our guy.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:25 pm

I also hear the point about Kaeps struggles as a pocket passer and going through his reads.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:12 pm

It's impossible to argue the possibility that Kaep could still become a legit pocket passer. I'm not biased against the guy but I don't have a lot of confidence in him either. But with that, again I have to say that (IMO) he is doing WAY better in this RO-less system than I ever thought he could.

This could be said about any QB, but Kaep in particular, IF the 9ers stay the course and play smashmouth football, running the ball, stopping the run and not having to come from behind, Kaep's chances will be much greater. OTOH, wouldn't that make him something of a game manager?

What I think the 9ers should do is resign Kaep with a bunch of language that frees them in event of injury (similar to Revis' deal), draft a QB, then run Kaep like they were last year. He is a big strong kid and surprisingly, seldom gets hit flush. I think running the RO a half dozen times per game will open up the passing game for him while instilling confidence from those positive RO plays. He is scary as hell when on the move...not so scary when stationary. Why hold back? Every other player gets hit on the field with great frequency. I think a specimen like Kaep should be able to get through it (within reason) and like RW, sometimes be even safer outside the pocket than within. I could be wrong.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:08 am

HawkWow wrote:
Zorn76 wrote:Since Kaepernick is Harbaugh's guy, I think he'll stay in SF.

Very interesting, Zorn...and appreciated.

As for Kaep being Harbaugh's guy, I agree, but Harbaugh's track record isn't so good when he anoints a QB as his guy. Even though Kaep benefitted from the Alex Smith deal, his agent will be smart enough to consider the way that went down when negotiating with the team. Karma has a way of appearing when least expected. Kaep has taken serious heat around the league this year...all after being built up like superman last year. The main reason for his digression was Harbaugh moving away from the RO. We all know that was to preserve Kaep, but he may see things a bit differently with fewer companies pounding down his door with endorsements. And I could be over-thinking all of this too.

Dayum this Panther D is spooky. Just happy we will have them at home.

Well, of course that among the differences between Kaep and Smith was that Harbaugh drafted CK. And, really, it was a worthwhile change because whatever upside Smith had has essentially peaked at this point.

He played terribly against the Colts Sunday - in KC no less - and has reminded everybody of who he is - a game managing QB who can't put the team on his back and carry them to victory. Meanwhile, CK had a decent but not spectacular game in beating the Falcons. His passing is OK, at times a little sloppy, but he did well rushing (51 yds) and ran for a score as well.

I wasn't impressed with the SF win at all tonight, but in the end a win is a win and they clinched a spot in the postseason. I think AZ still has a good chance of beating them, but the Seahawks need to win their game no matter what the circumstance on the 29th.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Lol!!

Seriuosly, because a 90+ QB rating, 21 tds 8 ints is garbage? Clearly Russel Wilson's numbers just demolish that and make him a keeper, right? Sorry this is a dumb thread.

Congrats on the #1 seed.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:23 pm

Oh the giddiness that comes with the 5th seed. Telling.

I totally agree. Kaep is not only your future, he is THE future.

"...and the future looks... thug-like". ~ Frank Zappa
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Futureite wrote:Lol!!

Seriuosly, because a 90+ QB rating, 21 tds 8 ints is garbage? Clearly Russel Wilson's numbers just demolish that and make him a keeper, right? Sorry this is a dumb thread.

Congrats on the #1 seed.

well to be honest RW stats are better, not to say Kaps are garbage they are not but RW was better

I Mean besides Rw QB rating over 100 and ten full points higher than Kaps
Rw has more tds a TD to Int ratio of 2.9 to kap 2.6
RW avg .7 yard more per attempt
Rw complete 63% of his passes Kap under 59%

that said Kap is a keeper for the right price of course.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:39 pm

Congrats on the #1 seed.

There he is.
Welcome aboard, Futureite.
Good luck in GB next week.
Rodgers is one of the best, but GB has plenty of holes going into the playoffs.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks Zorn ;). Rodgers worries me. We could be 1 and done. And let me get it out of the way - yes, RW has been better than Kaep. Speaking of QBs, as we speak Orton looks better than Romo. If I were them I'd see this as a blessing in disguise.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Futureite wrote:Thanks Zorn ;). Rodgers worries me. We could be 1 and done. And let me get it out of the way - yes, RW has been better than Kaep. Speaking of QBs, as we speak Orton looks better than Romo. If I were them I'd see this as a blessing in disguise.

I have long believed Kyle Orton to be the best back-up QB in the game.

This year Josh McCown certainly gave him a run for his money, but still, Orton's consistency at the spot gives him the back-up trophy, to me.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Futureite wrote:Thanks Zorn ;). Rodgers worries me. We could be 1 and done. And let me get it out of the way - yes, RW has been better than Kaep. Speaking of QBs, as we speak Orton looks better than Romo. If I were them I'd see this as a blessing in disguise.

Just like in any playoff game, the key is to be able to run the ball and stop the run, and SF is 3rd and 5th in those categories, while GB is 7th and 26th, respectively.
Gotta limit Rodgers time on the field as much as possible, while making the Packers' D gassed by the 2nd half.
The last 2 SF wins weren't necessarily the most convincing, but the Seahawks have had several of those as well, in addition to finishing the season 2-2 over the last 4 weeks.
In the end, I see the 49ers taking it next week.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Congrats on the #1 seed.

Can't quite dial in why this would be "a dumb thread". What if Kaep demands 25 mil per year...how "dumb" would the question be then? If you think Baalke isn't concerned over the Kaep situation, he's either retarded...or you're wrong. Kaep has shown marked improvement, more so than I thought he would depending less on the RO, but he is a far cry from a top 5 QB and if he wants top 5 money, as the question was posed...do you guys just put him on auto pay? Further, I've not seen anyone calling Kaep "Garbage"... I will repost my question, hoping for a much more intelligent reply than your first. Ready? Here we go:

What happens if Kaep's people want to play hardball with the 9ers, who have no real talent at back up?
What if they demand top 5 QB money, citing his SB appearance in year 1...then blaming his year 2 decline on Harbaugh and his change of strategy in practically eliminating the RO?
What if they demand a 5 year 100 mil deal?
Do the 9ers let him walk or do they pay the sub-par QB of their future top QB money?
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:16 pm

Those are fair questions. I also wonder how they're going to deal with Aldon Smith, Michael Crabtree and Mike Iupati as their contracts loom as well.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:Those are fair questions. I also wonder how they're going to deal with Aldon Smith, Michael Crabtree and Mike Iupati as their contracts loom as well.

And why is Browner gone daddy gone and Aldon is...just Aldon? I hope both Kaep and Crabtree tear it up over the next 2 games, even against us, as long as it results in defeat. Let's see what the 9er FO does with such a situation. That's a lot of money right there and I doubt any of that group will be giving any home town deals. I think Gore is gone and while I'm a huge fan of Lattimore's, I'm not begging for him to come back 100%. Not as a 9er, anyway.

I feel bad for saying that^. But from a practical perspective, it has to be that way. We have a division full of contenders to worry about.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:28 am

Kaep is certainly in line to get paid. I am not a fan of his, but one would have to be a fool not to see the kid is quite valuable. I agree he has some issues with progression, but the fact is we do not know what he is being coached to do. Couple that with the fact that he is essentially a Rookie in terms of games started and I think it is pretty clear the kid is special.

What will he get paid? Well some of that depends on how he works his deal. I'm going to assume for this case that he either plays one or two playoff games this season. That is back to back playoff seasons including a SB loss. That alone gives him some pretty good leverage next season, but not great leverage because he is signed for 2014. Worst case for SF if he won't play ball on a deal during the season they can franchise him in 2015 for a number probably around $20 million. Not a bad guaranteed payday, but less guaranteed money than pretty much any other long term deal he could sign. On top of that $20 million would likely blow a huge hole in the current roster resulting in a less viable team and threatening the deal he could sign in 2016.

His smart play will be to sign a deal next season that exchanges a long term deal at lower than peak salaries for maximum guaranteed money. One of the best players to look at given Kaep's age and experience might be Matt Stafford. Stafford signed a 5 year, $76 million deal. $27.5 million up front, $41.5 million guaranteed, salaries of about $11 million throughout the deal. So essentially he is making $16 million a season over the deal. And he signs another deal at 30. Kaep's deal will likely be similar but slightly higher.

I would have said the same for Russell, but the two Superbowl wins is going to skew his numbers all over the place.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:34 am

Of course they keep him.
They would be fools to give up on him so early in his career considering his supporting cast.
A good WR in the off season could help him take the next step in consistency.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:50 pm

Couldn't figure out how to reply to Zorn (maybe I need my coffe?), but any team that can push the ball downfield worries me. Now if we could borrow Hawks' secondary for a game I'd feel great, but ours is suspect wirh teans that have a good vertical pass game.

On to the thread;

Maybe it is not a "dumb" thread as I stated. That's probably a response to all the BS constantly thrown at him. I said it before and I will say it again - of all the young QBs, Kaep had the most to learn, and the staff arguably puts a lot more on his plate than any of the other young QBs. Keap is responsible for reading the entire D and calling the correct play out if 2 sent in from the OC. The O is extemely complex - as is the decision/shifting he coordinates at the line - and so it logically follows that his learning curve was going to be a lot steeper. In mt opinion, it also 'may' lead to bigger rewards down the line. We are already seeing that with recent games, as his rating has been 108 or better in 5 if the last 6 and he finished the yr with a 300 yd game, 2 tds O ints v a very good D.

Before Seattle PI got shut down I posted that I only cared about how Kaep was playing when it mattered. So far he is doing exactly what he is suppose to, and we are winning. I don't know what better option is out there.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am

Ahhhhh. Our resident revisionist has returned. While you may have morphed to the opinion that Kaep had more to learn, it was not the gist of yor posts right after the Super Bowl. You went to great lengths to say he was better than our guy.

For the record, I've been consistent. I think Kaep will have a very nice career. But... Even if they were dead even in stats, I want RW. I believe the media and fans have been a bit too harsh on Kaep.... But that's what happens when u spend your time in a fins hat & fighting with your fans instead of studying the playbook & visiting children's hospitals.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:45 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Ahhhhh. Our resident revisionist has returned. While you may have morphed to the opinion that Kaep had more to learn, it was not the gist of yor posts right after the Super Bowl. You went to great lengths to say he was better than our guy.

For the record, I've been consistent. I think Kaep will have a very nice career. But... Even if they were dead even in stats, I want RW. I believe the media and fans have been a bit too harsh on Kaep.... But that's what happens when u spend your time in a fins hat & fighting with your fans instead of studying the playbook & visiting children's hospitals.

Quite a contrast between the two quarterback's style and off field mannerisms, isn't there?

Future, you'd be well advised to steer clear of any negative quotes about our favorite son unless you can back them up with a link. That was the primary cause of the feeding frenzy you had to endure over in the PI. I'd hate to see a similar degeneration in this forum.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:02 pm

I think the better question is how much money he wants, and how much SF is willing to dedicate for a QB that has shown moments of brilliance and moments of horrid play. This IS actually interesting to me, as it helps set the market for young successful QB'S. I like Kaep, however it IS a gamble no matter what Future professes. Pay the man too much and it limits the ability to hold onto some of the Niners talent, if he can't "carry" the offense than a big contract buries SF for a LONG time. Future eludes to how much more he had to learn ( which for the sake of argument I'll let slide, even though I think it pointless to make that statement) how about if he never gets to the point where he can consistently do it? I have little doubt he CAN, but the thing is, sometimes players don't. Kaep has been inconsistent this season ( no matter what Future says, I mean this is the guy that professed Boldin HOF bound after game one, and professed no need for Crabtree).

For Romo/Manning/Rodgers dough, typically you have to "prove" it, not just "flash" it. This IS a gamble depending on how much cheddar is dedicated. 12 to 15 million over 4 or 5 years is fair, but I have a feeling he is going to want the 100 million kind of deal.......
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:15 pm

Hawksista;

I have not once said Kaep was better. What I consistently stated was that it is far too early to make the comparisons that ironically, people in your fanbase made. RW is smarter, studies harder, more poised, more savvy, better from the pocket, better leader . . .am I missing anything? Basically he got the nod on everything that defines good QB play. But Kaep was a better runner and had a stronger arm. Lol which is basically saying he is Steve Young and Kaep is Jim Druckenmiller.

I also pointed out the complexity of our O more times than I can remember. Am I backtracking? No. In fact I believe my post, verbatim was "I like the criticism Kaep us getting. Either he will crumble, or he will emerge from it and throw it back in everyone's face". I am glad he struggled and has already come out looking pretty good on the other end. It proved exactly what I posted from day 1 and most peoplw here refuted: he is a leade, he is extremely mentally tough, and he learns quick. I absolutely love this guy as our QB and I've never waivered.

Now Russel is going through a bit of the same. Teams are funneling him back into the pocket and making him play from it. I have no reason to believe he will not adapt, but indeed - he will have to. From day 1 I've posted that Carrol runs a very basic o, predicated on run, playaction, and screens/intermediate routes. Carrol plays to RW's athlwticism and his excellent decision making/accuracy. Again, you all were of the mind that his "peytonesque" mind and study habits sepparated him from Kaep, but that was never true. A lot more is/was put on kaep's shoulders from start #1 on.

I have no issues with anyone stating RW is better. Maybe he is. I am vary happy with our guy. Like I posted before, all I care about is how he plays in January.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:43 pm

LOL. West coast offense, basic, easier, LOL. Yeah, it only took guys named Favre, Hasselbeck, Montana, Young years to master it. SMH. Keep claiming it. Kaep has had THREE full seasons to learn that O big guy, and still hasn't learned to consistently go through his reads. You can't see it, to bad, it happens every game, and everyone from Dilfer, to Jaws to Harbaugh sees it, to bad you can't. Kaep is STILL in what Dilfer said was " remedial QB" class. Until he learns to read defenses, and go through his reads, he will continue to struggle against good defenses. Just the way it is.

Wilson hasn't mastered it either, but he is quite a bit ahead of Kaep in that regard. Wilson is more polished at this point, just the way it is. Kaep can catch him and pass him, maybe, but the fact remains Wilson not Kaep has a handle on his offense far more than Kaep has shown, his study habits are unquestioned throughout the NFL, and his poise is being compared to some of the greatest to have every played the game. Wilson STILL hasn't been "flustered" ( two full seasons now) hasn't lost his cool, or his composure in a game. Claim what you want, we'll stick with our guy ( you know the guy with more wins in his first two seasons in the NFL, more home wins than any QB in NFL history, more TD throws than any QB in his first two seasons not named Marino, all while being at the bottom in attempts in the league, highest passer rating for the first two seasons NFL history, etc). You can be happy as a pig in slop with Jim Kelly, or Dan Marino, we'll take our Joe Montana, Steve Young, Tom Brady.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:45 pm

Also, before anyone jumps on the "more is/was put on Kaep from day 1", please note: I did not say that makes him better, more cerebral, or anything akin. IMO, that is a fact. If you compare Russel's 6th start to Kaep's 6th you'll probably agree. Our nervous, crack under pressure QB was calling two plays in the huddle and shifting the entire O on nearly every snap in the loudest stadium in the NFL against possibly the best D that yr up in Seattle. And that was THE game that everyone based their opinion off of his perceived inability to handle pressure. And now we come to find that future HOFer Drew Brees recently played worse in the exact same venue.

Now I don't remember Russel's 6th start - must have been the game preceding our Thurs Night meeting - but he was not asked to do what Kaep was asked to, and certainly not in any environment remotely as hostile as Clink. I pointed thus out again and again, but not once did anyone acknowledge the diff. Doesn't mean Kaep is better at all - but it sure does blow up a portion of the premise that the RW contingent based their opinion on.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:01 pm

Futureite wrote:Also, before anyone jumps on the "more is/was put on Kaep from day 1", please note: I did not say that makes him better, more cerebral, or anything akin. IMO, that is a fact. If you compare Russel's 6th start to Kaep's 6th you'll probably agree. Our nervous, crack under pressure QB was calling two plays in the huddle and shifting the entire O on nearly every snap in the loudest stadium in the NFL against possibly the best D that yr up in Seattle. And that was THE game that everyone based their opinion off of his perceived inability to handle pressure. And now we come to find that future HOFer Drew Brees recently played worse in the exact same venue.

Now I don't remember Russel's 6th start - must have been the game preceding our Thurs Night meeting - but he was not asked to do what Kaep was asked to, and certainly not in any environment remotely as hostile as Clink. I pointed thus out again and again, but not once did anyone acknowledge the diff. Doesn't mean Kaep is better at all - but it sure does blow up a portion of the premise that the RW contingent based their opinion on.

Seriously? Kaeps 6th start also happened to come in his 31st game ( regular season, 39th game including preaseason) he SHOULD have had more on his plate, a HELL of a lot more, and yet it is Wilson, not Kaep ( not 3 full seasons to learn the system, compared to Wilsons 2 ) that has a better grasp on not only his offense, but how to read defenses, his mechanics, and the progression process. He has won more games, thrown for more TD's, better passer rating, and has done so in his second season without 3/5th of his offensive line ( regrettably a worse o-line than SF boasts, meaning less time, and far more hits and more pressure).

Do you think before you post? Kaep's 6th start? We are going to compare someone that had almost two full seasons to a rookie learning not only the NFL but 15 weeks total in the system ( as opposed to Kaep's, what 23 MONTHS). SMH
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:32 am

Future:

My comments were not directed to more recent discussions of Russ vs. CK. Instead.... I was referring to your revisionist offerings over the last year + on this & most subjects.

After the Super Bowl last year, several of us debated about who we would take between Kaep & RW knowing what we knew of them then. There were some pretty unintelligent comments/claims made on both sides of the argument... Which is kinda the nature of FANatics. I was probably guilty of some of those comments and am an admitted and proud Hawk homer...30 years running.

That said, I have been VERY consistent on the subject, in this forum & the other .... I have repeated the following observations/opinions/perceptions:
1) Kaep is über gifted and I project he will have a stellar career when all is said n done.
2) Harbaugh handcuffed CK this year. To me, it seems like Jim the chin was fearful that CK would get injured - & consequently, CK played much of the 1st Q like he'd been coached to be risk adverse in Smith's absence - he would literally go down 5-10 yards early.
3) Kaep gets major deer in the headlights look on his face and his play can reflect this panic.
4) CK is immature. The bicep kissing, rock star routine, dolphin hat, scolding his fans etc. are signs that he's got some growing ahead of him if he is to become elite. RWs growth needs to happen on the field - he is a preparer, connected to his fan-base, a philanthropist - giving love, time & $.
5) CK started 1/2 way through his 2nd year...they did not start at the same time in their careers. The extra time counts when comparing the two.
6) RW is better at reading Ds at this point. RW is more consistent... Has a Higher completion %, winning % etc.
7) I think the media (and non Niner fans) have been way too critical of CK. He has a very solid passer rating, for example, for such a young QB.
8) CK is more intelligent than he sounds. I think people judge his speech patterns, tats and style and assume he is not bright. He was a good student - a 4.0 as I understand it.
9) I just like RW better and would choose him everyday of the week & thrice on Sunday - even though during the 2011 draft I lobbied for us to take Kaep and in 2012, lobbied against taking our short QB. (Sorry RW). While I'm an admitted homer, this appreciation of RW & dislike of CK would be true if they were QBs in the NFC east. I love the way Russ prepares, plays, conducts himself, leads, gets better when bullets are flying.

You have been consistent at:
1) Being inconsistent.

Both QBs have benefitted from starting their careers with great organizations w/ solid D's, great coaching etc. RW has broken records (college & NFL). He's the winningest 2 year guy EVER, he's thrown more TDs in his 1st two years than anyone but Danny M. (In far fewer passing attempts) & other such honors.

Say what you want, but know that I will call you out on your BS when I see it though. There are a few problems with silly quotes like "I have not once said Kaep was better. What I consistently stated was that it is far too early to make the comparisons that ironically, people in your fanbase made." 1) you most certainly did make many arguments re: CKs superiority last off-season. 2) it insinuates that your fan base is not equally biased. People around here HATE RW. WHAT? what is there to hate? It is a rivalry thing, man...and many Niner fans do loathe young Mr. Wilson. They think he is way over-rated, that he is where he is largely because he has benefitted from Lynch and our stout D, that he is just a so-so passer, he is too short (blah, blah, blah). Then you make claims like we all think Kaep is garbage. READ, bro....READ and listen.
Last edited by Hawk Sista on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby wait_a_sec » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:21 am

Will see how he likes playing in seriously cold weather.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... on-sunday/
wait_a_sec
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:47 pm

wait_a_sec wrote:Will see how he likes playing in seriously cold weather.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... on-sunday/

The Pack should double Boldin and be weary of screens. I don't see Kaep going downfield a ton and Boldin is man enough to make chain moving catches in any weather. Not as sure about Crabtree in such climate. I think the 9ers would be wise to get Lamichael James involved in screens / bubble screens, early and often. Especially if Matthews is out (?). I also think the 9ers will abuse Frank Gore until the exciting conclusion of their season. I think it will be Gore's last with the team.
HawkWow
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum