My thoughts having been at the game and with great seats

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

My thoughts having been at the game and with great seats

Postby Anthony » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:26 pm

So I went to the game today for my sons 21st birthday, we had great seats and could see everything.

So notes

1. the 12th man was indeed loud, very loud 137+ decibel level according to the board.
2. the refs did indeed suck, while I will not blame them for the loss, I have not seen so many bad calls, and non calls in a long long time.
3. Rw was indeed off, but not as off as you might think but off.
4. Our Wr were not getting open most of the time, and there were at least 3 balls that should have been caught, Baldwins being one, and when Rw was scrambling they were not moving at all.
5.Thee play calling g was pathetic, 1 wr screen that gets god yards but then nothing. Very few quick throws, or crossing patterns. Very conservative and predictable.
6. The defense was huge today, of course except when it mattered and we had the lead, a pattern of sorts with them.
7. Turbin should not be returning kicks at all.
8. O-line could not run block, and could barely pass block when ore than 3 guys were coming
9. Lynch left a lot of yards on the field making the wrong cut or waiting.
10. Penalties yet a gain cost us a lot.
11. Lack of any adjustments at all.

The biggest issue to me is play calling and lack of adjustments.
Last edited by Anthony on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony
Legacy

Re: My thoughts having been at the game and with great seats

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Good stuff.

I'm completely worried about our offense right now. We have scored 50 pts in the last 3 weeks, Bevell shows no ability to adjust or get creative and our WRs disappear.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:Good stuff.

I'm completely worried about our offense right now. We have scored 50 pts in the last 3 weeks, Bevell shows no ability to adjust or get creative and our WRs disappear.

Hey Greg, yeah I agree the biggest issue is playcalling, adjustments, and wr disappearing. I think they have gotten to used to Rw making magic they forgot they need to do their part too.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Anthony wrote:So I went to the game today for my sons 21st birthday, we had great seats and could see everything.

So notes

1. the 12th man was indeed loud, very loud 137+ decibel level according to the board.
2. the refs did indeed suck, while I will not blame them for the loss, I have not seen some any bad calls, and non calls in a long long time.
4. Our Wr were not getting open most of the time, and there were at least 3 balls that should have been caught, Baldwins being one, and when Rw was scrambling they were not moving at all.
5.Thee play calling g was pathetic, 1 wr screen that gets god yards but then nothing. Very few quick throws, or crossing patterns. Very conservative and predictable.
6. The defense was huge today, of course except when it mattered and we had the lead, a pattern of sorts with them.
8. O-line could not run block, and could barely pass block when ore than 3 guys were coming

I hope your son enjoyed his birthday despite that craptastic performance. I am fielding calls from 9er fans as I type. They are reveling in this, as expected. I'm responding by telling them I forgot we had a game today and missed it, LOL.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:44 pm

The way this Offense is playing, we will be one and done. I'm in a foul mood, sorry. I'm searching for more Fruitcake.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:The way this Offense is playing, we will be one and done. I'm in a foul mood, sorry. I'm searching for more Fruitcake.

Don't be sorry, Steady. You are on point...our offense is the Achilles Heal.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:
Steady_Hawk wrote:The way this Offense is playing, we will be one and done. I'm in a foul mood, sorry. I'm searching for more Fruitcake.

Don't be sorry, Steady. You are on point...our offense is the Achilles Heal.

Agreed is it, the question though is it the play calling (which I think is the biggest issue), The o-line, the RB, the Wr, or the QB, or a little of everything above. IF I had to say I think it is in the order below

1 Playcalling
2 O-line
3 WR
4 RB
5 Qb
6 All
Anthony
Legacy

Postby daweez » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:00 pm

I was also at the game. Offense looked really weak all night. Russell was off, Marshawn lynch was held in check once again, and like you said the recievers just didn't look like they were in the game at all. I sure hope they can tighten things up before next Sunday!
daweez
Legacy

Postby Sfaulk51 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:37 pm

I watched a team that was not prepared to play today. I watched also as we did almost the same thing EVERY series on the offense. I realize that you don't want to show too much to other teams this time of the year...but come on really. I watched VERY predictable offensive play calling and a tendency to stick to what DID NOT work. Bevell was lost and could not adjust on the fly so he just kept calling what didn't work over and over. Russell Wilson today seemed like he was also lost ( almost like he didn't have time to prepare properly) Now all of a sudden O'kung 's toe is sore again. Fellas....If it's been a long season and your just tired,hey just mail in another performance like that next week against St.Louis and just one more in the wild card game and you can all rest up in front of the fire watching all the play off games. Mr. Bevell you pulled out the game plan for the Colts game, and the Frisco game, and followed it perfectly. Perhaps San Francisco will win the West again....Just one more home loss next week. Home where we don't loose except.... P.S. The defense played their hearts out today..(except right up the middle).Too bad the offense thought it was a Monday night game. (The exception....Marshawn Lynch...it's amazing what he can do w/ no blocking). It will be easy to say...."We faced a tough top ten defense today...they were just better" St. Louis' defense is better and when you get to the play offs all the defenses and tough. That's how I saw it thanks for reading my rant. Also a big shout out to refs who when faced w/ instant replay still can't make the right call. The ball hit the ground Zebra elites. : 2mins. to go and you make THAT call stand ...REALLY!!
Sfaulk51
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:16 pm

I felt Wilson played short today. But Palmer did too.

Couple elite Ds on that field today, fellas.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:41 pm

HawkWow wrote:I felt Wilson played short today. But Palmer did too.

our QB was not our biggest problem at all, once again.

1 Playcalling
2 O-line
3 WR
4 RB
5 Qb
6 All

oh and lets give the d some love for not holding another 4th qtr lead!
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm not ready to turn on Bevell yet, but as they said in soccer, he's in poor form right now. When you're facing a stout run D and injuries/inconsistency is plaguing your WR corps, you have to rely on your coaches to find yards. Bevell didn't do that today. The problem doesn't start with him -- it starts with the OL losing their matchups and the WR not getting open -- but it ends with him not figuring out how to respond.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:40 pm

one WR screen works and we don't see another one all day?. No TEs involved? Except our td to Miller? Ridiculous.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:58 pm

Anthony wrote:

1 Playcalling
2 O-line
3 WR
4 RB
5 Qb
6 All

Nobody said our QB was "our biggest problem" and it's possible you and I were watching different games. Both defenses played extremely well. Much better than their respective QBs / offenses. Our D gave up 17 total points after staying on the field the majority of the game.

OTOH, after being gifted 3 TOs and excellent field position by our defense, the offense managed just 3 pts thru 3 qtrs and had numerous 3 and outs. Speaking of 3, #3 didn't look too good, either. What exactly did you expect from our defense?
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:42 am

HawkWow wrote:
Anthony wrote:

1 Playcalling
2 O-line
3 WR
4 RB
5 Qb
6 All

Nobody said our QB was "our biggest problem" and it's possible you and I were watching different games. Both defenses played extremely well. Much better than their respective QBs / offenses. Our D gave up 17 total points after staying on the field the majority of the game.

OTOH, after being gifted 3 TOs and excellent field position by our defense, the offense managed just 3 pts thru 3 qtrs and had numerous 3 and outs. Speaking of 3, #3 didn't look too good, either. What exactly did you expect from our defense?

Well I agree Rw did not play well, as did no one on offense except for 1 drive were the OC let Rw be Rw, but as to the Defense, I expect a defense who is talked about as being one of the best of all time to be able to hold onto a lead in the 4th qtr, again something that they have failed to do on numerous occasions. That said I am not blaming the defense alone, only saying they have blame to shoulder as well.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:04 am

Some pretty good comments in here overall.

Keep in mind, too, the following:

*Not only were penalties a big problem (again), but we gave up 6 first downs by penalty today.

*T.O.P. = AZ-37:24
Seattle-22:36

Again, lots of reasons we dropped this game, but when your defense is positively Gassed from being on the field all day (chief among those reasons a lack of offense given 4 turnovers from the Cards), then it's asking a lot for them to be clutch the entire time.

Finally, I'm spamming this in practically every thread in any Hawk forum..

Seahawks 31
Rams 17

We rebound, and clinch everything next week.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:16 am

Thanks for the "at the game" synopsis. Always good to hear from someone who was there, because on TV, it is often hard to see what's going on with the receivers and secondary. I figured our receivers were not getting open, but I find your assessment of their effort as the most alarming piece from your list of what went wrong today: "when Rw was scrambling they were not moving at all." If that's the case, then that is truly disheartening.

Some things went Cards' way today with the refs, but to be honest, they did look like the better team. Agree ... a tough match between two great defenses. But this one was a lot harder to digest than the loss at S.F. a couple weeks ago. Something just seemed very wrong and very uninspired ... and the feeling is with me right now. Can't wait till this particular day is over. Tomorrow is a new one. Will be focused on Christmas and family. Come Thursday, I hope to be inspired again ... and contribute whatever I can from thousands of miles away.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:42 am

SalmonBB - Good to see you, bro!

Go Seahawks!!!
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:28 am

Anthony wrote:So I went to the game today for my sons 21st birthday, we had great seats and could see everything.

So notes

2. the refs did indeed suck, while I will not blame them for the loss, I have not seen so many bad calls, and non calls in a long long time.

OK, from your list of points I think the game hinged on (in order of criticality to the outcome of this game):

4. We were dropping balls that we usually catch, yes some would have been spectacular catches, but highlight reel catches have become the norm for us, until this game.

8. Terrible game from our O-line (more on these first two later)

2. and 10. Our own penalties as usual hurt us badly, but not as badly as that last blown call that thwarted our usual last minute comeback ... the moral of this story is to stop making these 2 minute drills necessarry!

7. I've been watching Robert since his college days, never seen him hold the ball so carelessly! His returns were fine, most got us past the 20, but what the hell is up with holding that ball so out there for anyone that wants it? Squeeze that sumbitch man!

But the one factor not mentioned, that was the single biggest reason we lost that game is how well that Cardinals defense played! #'s 4 & 8 can almost wholly be attributed to the way they smothered our receivers; Wilson was going through his progressions just fine, there just were no open check downs, and got after the pass rush! Particularly in how they did so with such fantastic lane responsibility ... poor Russell had nowhere to go when he did find no open receivers. (There was a play when he did break free on at at least one run opportunity he threw a ball he should have kept and ran for the easy first down, but you can't really come down too hard on him for wanting to get his receivers into the game).

Overall I see more credit to the Cards than blame for us, we did NOT give that game away, they won it outright.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:32 am

c_hawkbob wrote:

So notes

OK, from your list of points I think the game hinged on (in order of criticality to the outcome of this game):

4. We were dropping balls that we usually catch, yes some would have been spectacular catches, but highlight reel catches have become the norm for us, until this game.

8. Terrible game from our O-line (more on these first two later)

2. and 10. Our own penalties as usual hurt us badly, but not as badly as that last blown call that thwarted our usual last minute comeback ... the moral of this story is to stop making these 2 minute drills necessarry!

7. I've been watching Robert since his college days, never seen him hold the ball so carelessly! His returns were fine, most got us past the 20, but what the hell is up with holding that ball so out there for anyone that wants it? Squeeze that sumbitch man!

But the one factor not mentioned, that was the single biggest reason we lost that game is how well that Cardinals defense played! #'s 4 & 8 can almost wholly be attributed to the way they smothered our receivers; Wilson was going through his progressions just fine, there just were no open check downs, and got after the pass rush! Particularly in how they did so with such fantastic lane responsibility ... poor Russell had nowhere to go when he did find no open receivers. (There was a play when he did break free on at at least one run opportunity he threw a ball he should have kept and ran for the easy first down, but you can't really come down too hard on him for wanting to get his receivers into the game).

Overall I see more credit to the Cards than blame for us, we did NOT give that game away, they won it outright.

I would agree with everything you said, adding in now having seen the game on TV and looking at the play by play our defense while good, had more culpability than I thought, reason AZ had the ball 15 minutes longer than us, however all 15 minutes can be attributed to penalties extending drives. In fact every scoring drive they had was aided by a drive saving penalty and some stupid ones.
Anthony
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum