Overeaction? All of our WR's stink.

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Overeaction? All of our WR's stink.

Postby Pain_Train » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:28 pm

Zach Miller is awesome in so many ways but is old man slow, in football terms.

Luke Willson has potential but makes rookie route running mistakes and doesn't block well.

I love everything about Doug Baldwin the person, and he does well at high pointing the ball, but he doesn't scare anyone. Lacks length and long speed.

Kearse has some skill but is nothing special athletically. He broke my heart so many times at U.W. dropping balls that I'm not sure I'll ever trust him with the game on the line.

Tate - I was hoping he could be the next Steve Smith with his quicks and moves, but he still isn't getting much separation in year, what, four now? At least that talk with Pete earlier in the season toned down some of the knuckleheadedness.

Lockette is a one trick pony that is only on the team due to injuries.

Rice might not be back with the team due to his contract and injury history.

There is a chance that Percy may never come back. I don't recall another explosive athlete that came back from a hip labrum. If not career ending, there is a chance it will be career limiting.

If we get bounced early from the postseason, this group will be why. This game was a gut punch, just waiting for them to make a play. Other than the TD to Miller, and one good catch by Tate (to go with his one good return), I don't think they made another play. An unusual number of catchable drops today just killed us.

As much as we need to improve our O-line's pass protection as this game showed a key weakness, I think we need to be looking at using our 1st round pick on the best pass catcher available. WR or TE. ASJ may very well be the guy, if he enters the draft. I'm living in Oregon now and watched local kid Colt Lyerla destroy people in person for a couple years at Hillsboro High. I'd be willing to risk a late round pick on him, and hope his days of booze, broads and blow are behind him. Other than that, I'm going to be scouting WR more than any other position this offseason.

I'm not buying into the Superbowl being ours for the taking. Arizona, Tampa and Tennessee have proven that. But it is so close, I can taste it. Anyone else see a solution?
Pain_Train
Legacy

Re: Overeaction? All of our WR's stink.

Postby Steady_Hawk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks for making it over Pain!

Honestly, I really think Harvin not playing is affecting us far more than we realize. We need this guy out there badly!

I don't know if our WR corp is that bad as much as they were pretty dinged up and dropping balls.

We could use more talent there, but let's see how they finish the season up next week. If they lose next week and lose the 1st seed I may ball up into the fetal position and catch a nasty case of turrets.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:00 pm

I don't think the WR really stink, they are no constant threat either but I don't think that is their fault. Problem stems in my opinion to play calling (Yes I know I have been trying to beat the horse to death and think I succeeded, but I have revived it back to life and am going for second round and if I don't get drunk soon I will be going for third round). You can't keep calling for deep balls as your OL is not capable of protecting you QB, in order to be able to make those deep throws you need you QB to stand there for 4-5 seconds in pocket, I don't think RW had more than 2 seconds all day long. bevell can only call run or deep so it becomes easier for a defense to protect. The defense can see by the line up (75% of the time) if it will be pass or run. I think that between last week and this week I have only seen 2 passes that have been for less than 8 yards, for the rest is has been run, run, stuffed, deep pass, deeper pass. The Hawks are to predictable in play calling. If you mix it up more and go for those shorter but higher completion passes the defense has to prepare for more and you will keep them on their heels, now they only have to line up for two thing either a run or deep pass, you have to keep the defense guessing of what you are going to do and bevell just kept giving the defense opportunities to stop our offense over and over again
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby Seahawker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:15 pm

Nice breakdown Pain,

I think some of our WR inconsistency has to do with Russell's lack of protection and his rhythm & timimg being disrupted.
Some of that is offset when he completes one outside the pocket on the fly, + runs. But in games like today, when RW is not Superman, every weak spot is glaring.

Even before the Harvin deal, I've wondered why Pete doesn't work Sherman into the #5 WR spot.
He was a WR in HS at Compton, lead Stanford in receptions his freshman year and obviously could do it at this level.
I mean convert DT Sweezy to OG, but 6-3, 195 former WR with those skills and we can't work him in for a handful of plays?
Not over the middle, but I can see RS hawking the ball downfield, right in the face of smaller DB's.

Maybe its been talked about, maybe he wants to. They're probably worried about injuries and having Sherman in Bevell's & Pete's ear on the sidelines while they are calling the game.

You want to see Sherman go full Muhammad Ali mode, give him three catches, one for a TD and two INT's, one returned for a score... in the Superbowl.
Seahawker
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:19 pm

We desperately need an AJ Green/Dez Bryant big body WR that demands coverage.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:09 am

Today Bevell was too predictable. No dinking and dunking 1 WR screen that worked, then nothing else after that. WHY? RW needs to dink and dunk and this team needs to mix it up more on offense.

Also, we got absolutely zero push from our o linemen today. Affects Lynch but it also affects the time RW has to throw as was mentioned earlier. I think on some plays they protected RW well, but others he was running for his life. And on run plays our O linemen got thrown around like rag dolls.

We probably have enough to beat the Rams. But to go deep in the playoffs. With this o line, play calling and WR play we could go 1 and done.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:28 am

Stink? No.
Room for improvement? Yes.

I dunno. I know this loss was tough, but this doesn't all a sudden mean our WR's stink, IMO.
If that were the case, then we wouldn't have even won 12 games at this point.

For me, this makes about as much sense as saying our defense stunk today, even though they were on the field for over 37 minutes.

Cheer up, fellas, we'll get it next week.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:09 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:We desperately need an AJ Green/Dez Bryant big body WR that demands coverage.

Or Calvin Johnson, or Andre Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald...I've been wanting a big bodied WR for years, perhaps decades.

It's not that our WR's are bad. Tate's very good after the catch and both Baldwin and Kearse have made some very acrobatic grabs and they're not bad blockers. But they're average NFL receivers, not top shelf. You can cover them man-to-man and allow safeties to come up and play in the box to stop our running attack. They do not force DC's to game plan for them.

BTW, nice to see you here, Pain Train!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:38 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:We desperately need an AJ Green/Dez Bryant big body WR that demands coverage.

This may sound strange, but Cordarrelle Patterson was that guy in the last draft. I was shocked when he fell into the late twenties, I thought he would have gone in the top 10. Pete talked about him almost frothing at the mouth. I really wonder if they wanted him but actually figured like most that he would have been long gone and went for the sure bet on availability in Harvin.

I
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:05 pm

I think the Hawks just got out coached and didn't make the needed adjustments during the game. Very disappointed in the Offensive coordinators in this game. Also I think some of the players counted on the home field advantage way to much. Time to circle the wagons, look at game film and make the necessary adjustments heading into the playoffs. The sky is still blue and the grass is still green and now it's time to get back what got you there!

GO HAWKS!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:17 pm

I think it is more about play calling than anything else. After that o-line.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Pain_Train » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:

This may sound strange, but Cordarrelle Patterson was that guy in the last draft. I was shocked when he fell into the late twenties, I thought he would have gone in the top 10. Pete talked about him almost frothing at the mouth. I really wonder if they wanted him but actually figured like most that he would have been long gone and went for the sure bet on availability in Harvin.

I

Patterson was the guy I wanted. A unique talent. Raw as all hell though. Still, I would rather have Patterson on a 3 year rookie contract than Harvin + 50million +1,3,7 picks. Of course, there was no way to know Patterson would have been available or the Harvin would be injured.
Pain_Train
Legacy

Postby Johnny B » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:46 pm

I think Pete and John wasn't expecting not to have rice and HarvIn. Imagine if those two were in the lineup. I think the play caling was terrible, and the offensive line needs to be addressed. It is amazing how we'll they draft defensive players but can't seem to pick lineman. They need to start lineing up l Wilson as wr and maybe calling some screens to turbin or Michael using their speed to make some plays.
Johnny B
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:08 pm

The big guy you say we need is already on the roster. His name is Luke Willson
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:The big guy you say we need is already on the roster. His name is Luke Willson

Could be but the play calling has been so bad the last 3 games with the exception of 1 or 2 drives
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:04 pm

I thought the play calling was horrible. Jam Lynch into the line for 2 yards or throw a long bomb. It hasnt been good.This team needs to be running draws,screens, hooks and picks when we play against front 7s like the Cards/9ers/Panthers etc have. Now here come the Rams with a pretty good front 7 as well. Bevell needs to find the sweet spot or were screwed.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:The big guy you say we need is already on the roster. His name is Luke Willson

Willson is a TE, and what we need is a big bodied WR so if Willson is blocking or running an intermediate route, we can get a mismatch outside. Brandon Marshall type or maybe even someone like Demaryius Thomas with his size and speed.

However, nothing else matters if the OL can't do its job, and they weren't very effective on Sunday.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:26 am

We had a good discussion about the play calling in another thread. My take is that complaints about the play calling is the ultimate 'hindsight is 20/20' proposition. Of course, the play calling is questionable when plays don't work. It's stating the obvious. But what is not known is if other options would have had a better result than the ones chosen.

I'm resisting the temptation to pile on Bevell and his play calling. As poorly as our OL was playing, as poor of decisions Russell was making, and as little separation our receivers were getting, I'm doubtful how much difference 'correct' play calling would have made. We just plain weren't playing well.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:41 am

RiverDog wrote:We had a good discussion about the play calling in another thread. My take is that complaints about the play calling is the ultimate 'hindsight is 20/20' proposition. Of course, the play calling is questionable when plays don't work. It's stating the obvious. But what is not known is if other options would have had a better result than the ones chosen.

I'm resisting the temptation to pile on Bevell and his play calling. As poorly as our OL was playing, as poor of decisions Russell was making, and as little separation our receivers were getting, I'm doubtful how much difference 'correct' play calling would have made. We just plain weren't playing well.

dude when all you run is deep routes most of the game of course the play calling was bad, heck even Moon said that. Also notice the one scoring drive we had for a td how other types of routes were called and we moved the ball easily, but then right back to the long ball. I was at the game charting the plays, trust me the play calling was bad, predictable, and very one route orientated. Also note if the WR were not getting any separation and the o-line was playing poor is it any wonder Rw looked bad, I mean really, even he needs some help.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:28 am

We have an odd situation here in Seattle with the OC reporting to his OL coach.
Cable is also supposed to be the running game "guru".
One question that keeps popping into my head is how much input/influence does Bevell really have?
Is this Cable running the Offensive side and game planning with Bevell just the play caller following Cables plan?
I suspect there is collaboration, but I wonder about who has more influence in the game plan.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:42 am

Here's a blog discussing Sundays game.
It touches on a number of points we have discussed.
http://blog.seattlepi.com/hawkblogger/2 ... als-17-10/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum