Pundits calling us out

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Pundits calling us out

Postby Anthony » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:48 pm

RiverDog wrote:I don't disagree that he probably had 10 yards in front of him, but to call it a 'risky pass' and 'really bad decision' is extreme. It was a perfectly placed pass that, had it been caught, would have been a 16 yard gain and stopped the clock. It had no chance of being intercepted. A risk pass and really bad decision was the INT he threw against the Giants.

I shouldn't have said 'risky.' You're right, there was no chance of an interception. What I should have said was low percentage. Kearse had to go flat out to catch it, and as it was, he barely kept his feet in bounds. It would have required a phenomenal catch. Plus there was zero chance of him gaining any yards after the catch. Certainly Kearse can and has made those types of catches before, but the situation did not call for that type of pass to be thrown. IMO the additional 5 or 10 yards we would have gained on a completed pass was not worth the sure 10-15 yards he would have gained had he kept it. It was an ill advised decision.

Ahh it was not Kearse it was Baldwin and he caught it with his feet in and then dropped it when he hit the ground, I think you are thinking of a different play.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:50 pm

RiverDog wrote:Really RD? You lost respect for Russell due to one mistake?? WOW! Every player and person for that matter makes mistakes, heck RD, I bet you have even made one once or twice in your life. Talk about over reaction.

You heard me right. I lost respect. Not all respect, but definitely a lot.

I'm not throwing Russell under the bus. You're right, he's human and is going to make mistakes. What I am doing is conveying my disappointment in him. My expectations are pretty high for Russell, and he simply can't make those kinds of blunders if we are to get to the Super Bowl. It's stupid phuck ups like those that has kept Tony Romo from becoming a great, clutch quarterback. We can't afford drive killing mistakes like that in the close games that are sure to come.

wow its a wonder any QB wins a SB because I have seen Manning in his first 2 years make even worse mistakes, Brady, and many others. I think your expectation are rightfully high, but I think you need to remember he is only in his 2nd year. Heck Luck did the same thing about 3 games ago, it does happen.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Kearse and Baldwin are almost interchangeable, and I often times get them mixed up.

Like I said before, I am not throwing Russell under the bus. If it were Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, I'd be calling them out, too. That wasn't a rookie mistake, either. Every quarterback at every level is responsible for knowing the down and distance after the completion of each play and before starting the next. It's basic football that you learn the first time you set foot on the field, like knowing what the score is and how many timeouts you have left. Hell, it isn't even anything coaches have to remind quarterbacks, it's assumed that they already know that aspect of the game.

I also agree that Russell hasn't been mentally right as of late. Another example is that timeout on 2nd and 25 that he burned in the second half of the Niners game. He acts as if he has Romoitus.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:12 pm

IMO the offense including Russel has been off for 3 games. He hasnt been sharp when it really mattered the most, stats, qbr etc be damned. The Giants game it was enough with the D pitching a shutout. Against the 9ers the team had a chance to punch the ticket with 1 more play. And I sat in the rain Sunday and watched the entire offense get pantsed. It starts with Bevell and there is not one name on offense worthy of praise. It was a TERRIBLE performance, embarrassing. All that being said Seattle controls their destiny. But I have the sense its like Tiger Woods on a bad day with the yips trying to line up the tricky 10 footer to win the tournament.Will he or wont he?
They are in a fight for their lives, their manhood.They have fumbled and stumbled until they are staring over the precipice into the abyss of one of the most monumental collapses in Seattle sports history. And if they fall off just wait if you think the pundits are piling on now.
I hope for the best but I have a sinking feeling. I hope Im wrong....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:16 pm

RiverDog wrote:Kearse and Baldwin are almost interchangeable, and I often times get them mixed up.

Like I said before, I am not throwing Russell under the bus. If it were Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, I'd be calling them out, too. That wasn't a rookie mistake, either. Every quarterback at every level is responsible for knowing the down and distance after the completion of each play and before starting the next. It's basic football that you learn the first time you set foot on the field, like knowing what the score is and how many timeouts you have left. Hell, it isn't even anything coaches have to remind quarterbacks, it's assumed that they already know that aspect of the game.

I also agree that Russell hasn't been mentally right as of late. Another example is that timeout on 2nd and 25 that he burned in the second half of the Niners game. He acts as if he has Romoitus.

LOL yeah I can see why you might mx them up.

Yeah he has been off, but for some reason I think he is not been happy with the play calling, you could see it in his non verbal communication after the SF, NY, and AZ games when they talked about play calling, the subtle corner of his mouth clenching. This usual means not happy, and I cannot blame him, I would not be happy when we only call a small portion of the passing playbook and we keep repeating it and it fails. Then only to call all of it for one drive, watch us score and then go back to the same predictable one type of pass play offense. I also worry it will make him force things to make something happen. Sure hope they fix that this weekend or it is over.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Anthony wrote:
RiverDog wrote:Kearse and Baldwin are almost interchangeable, and I often times get them mixed up.

Yeah he has been off, but for some reason I think he is not been happy with the play calling, you could see it in his non verbal communication after the SF, NY, and AZ games when they talked about play calling, the subtle corner of his mouth clenching. This usual means not happy, and I cannot blame him, I would not be happy when we only call a small portion of the passing playbook and we keep repeating it and it fails. Then only to call all of it for one drive, watch us score and then go back to the same predictable one type of pass play offense. I also worry it will make him force things to make something happen. Sure hope they fix that this weekend or it is over.

If that's the case, then Russell is not being true to his own creed of "screening out the noise" and concentrating on the task at hand. But I doubt very seriously if he harbors doubts serious enough about the play calling that it clouds his judgment.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:07 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Anthony wrote:

If that's the case, then Russell is not being true to his own creed of "screening out the noise" and concentrating on the task at hand. But I doubt very seriously if he harbors doubts serious enough about the play calling that it clouds his judgment.

Just a thought I doubt it too. I think this whole thing is just about bad play calling.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:45 pm

RiverDog wrote:Really RD? You lost respect for Russell due to one mistake?? WOW! Every player and person for that matter makes mistakes, heck RD, I bet you have even made one once or twice in your life. Talk about over reaction.

I'm not throwing Russell under the bus. You're right, he's human and is going to make mistakes. What I am doing is conveying my disappointment in him. My expectations are pretty high for Russell, and he simply can't make those kinds of blunders if we are to get to the Super Bowl. It's stupid phuck ups like those that has kept Tony Romo from becoming a great, clutch quarterback. We can't afford drive killing mistakes like that in the close games that are sure to come.

Meh. River, Russell has been carrying this team on his back for the entire year, buying time to find the open receiver, etc. I find it laughable that you play the "I lost respect" card in a year where a stand out 2nd year QB is having a MVP type season just for making a few mistakes. Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, Matt Stafford, Ben Rothl and many more experienced QB's have made much worse decisions than RW did in this game. Give the dude a break.

In the spirit of the Holidays I will end it there. Merry Christmas RD.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Distant Relative wrote:

Meh. River, Russell has been carrying this team on his back for the entire year, buying time to find the open receiver, etc. I find it laughable that you play the "I lost respect" card in a year where a stand out 2nd year QB is having a MVP type season just for making a few mistakes. Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, Matt Stafford, Ben Rothl and many more experienced QB's have made much worse decisions than RW did in this game. Give the dude a break.

I treat Russell as if he were my kid, player, employee, etc. He made an inexcusable mistake. That differs from unforgivable. Hopefully he learns from it and all will be good and I can go back to heaping tons of praise upon him. But right now, he's making bad decisions, and we're paying dearly for them. He's going to have to take his medicine, part of which is dealing with disappointed fans like me that have seen what he is capable of. I'm not abandoning him. I'm challenging him to play better.

And Merry Christmas to you, too, DR!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:45 am

Pete said in the presser that one official signaled 1st down. RW, Lynch & Co saw it and called a 1st down play that nearly worked. And you lost respect for the kid for hearing what his teamMates did? For Baldwin dropping the same play he's made time & time again? For a kid who showed up at work at 4:30 am the next day to get better?? What?

Yes, he was not good, not lights out in 1 game and was only better than average in the previos two games. & yes there have been some decisions he'd like back. Did u guys ever play sports at all? Did you play at NFL game speed? Crazy talk!

I'm all for a healthy debate, but losing respect under theses circumstances is as harsh as it is strange. I love ya rd and wish u a merry Christmas too.... Gotta add I'm Glad you aren't my boss, I'd have an inferiority complex fast.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Seahawker » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:23 am

The only way I could lose respect for Russell is if he kissed his bicep, wore another NFL teams cap or pulled his shirt open to reveal an imaginary S. Not even a bad piss test would phase me, but if in 2015 he holds out for unreal $, then the meter could drop. RW is working too hard, he's burning the candle at both ends while balancing it in his nose. When we get HFA, he needs to take a 2-3 day break with his wife.
Seahawker
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:33 am

RiverDog wrote:
Distant Relative wrote:

I treat Russell as if he were my kid, player, employee, etc. He made an inexcusable mistake. That differs from unforgivable. Hopefully he learns from it and all will be good and I can go back to heaping tons of praise upon him. But right now, he's making bad decisions, and we're paying dearly for them. He's going to have to take his medicine, part of which is dealing with disappointed fans like me that have seen what he is capable of. I'm not abandoning him. I'm challenging him to play better.

And Merry Christmas to you, too, DR!

"were paying for it dearly" so I guess you put the Az loss and SF loss on him really? pretty pathetic, I will say it again, Baldwin caught the ball, he was in bounds he lost it, he Baldwin lost it period, does not matter if he could also have run for a 1st down, Rw made a play out of nothing, threw a strike to Baldwin who messed up, and your saying it is RWs fault. Let me remind you he has been doing way more than any QB should have to do, playing behind a horrible o-line for a time worse in the league, loosing what should be his #1 and #2 wr, loosing his TE for several games, loosing most of his o-line for most of the season, dealing with bad play calling, a run attack that has been at best pedestrian and so he plays slightly better than AVG for 2 games and then a clunker that was not helped by bad play calling, bad o-line, several drops, really. There is a difference in challenging fans and over the top fans you my friend are getting way over the top.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:08 am

So just who is it you have ever been a fan of Dog that has never had a bad game?

If perfection is what it takes to retain your respect you've been disappointed a lot in life haven't you?

On a 'who gives a spit" LOL note, did you see TD has us 3rd in his power ranking with his Donkeys 2nd and the Niners 1st? ... he's trying so hard not to look like a homer he's just looking stupid.
Last edited by c_hawkbob on Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:24 am

River, are you REALLY comparing Russell Wilson to Tony Romo?? Lighten up my man...
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Pete said in the presser that one official signaled 1st down. RW, Lynch & Co saw it and called a 1st down play that nearly worked. And you lost respect for the kid for hearing what his teamMates did? For Baldwin dropping the same play he's made time & time again? For a kid who showed up at work at 4:30 am the next day to get better?? What?

Yes, he was not good, not lights out in 1 game and was only better than average in the previos two games. & yes there have been some decisions he'd like back. Did u guys ever play sports at all? Did you play at NFL game speed? Crazy talk!

I'm all for a healthy debate, but losing respect under theses circumstances is as harsh as it is strange. I love ya rd and wish u a merry Christmas too.... Gotta add I'm Glad you aren't my boss, I'd have an inferiority complex fast.

I'll admit that 'losing respect' might be a little harsh as it evokes a personal appraisal. Disappointed might be better.

I'm not letting RW off the hook for not knowing the first down. Yea, I can understand how he might have been confused, but it's not an acceptable excuse IMO. He's the GD quarterback. Next time, perhaps he'll take a nano second to glance to the sidelines and confirm that the chains have moved and the down marker has advanced. And like I said, regardless of what down it was, his decision to forgo a sure 10-15 yard gain to throw a low percentage 15-20 yard sideline pass that the receiver had to lay flat out to catch, just barely keeping his feet in bounds, was not a good one. And that's just one play. There were others. In this league, anytime an offense nets just 89 passing yards, you can surmise that the quarterback didn't have a very good game.

Russell is not playing well, and the numbers bear that out: 11-27, 41% completion percentage, 1 TD 1 INT, 108 yards, 11.5 QBR, 49.6 RTG. Granted, there's a lot of reasons besides his poor play, the running game isn't going well, the OL is struggling, and receivers aren't getting open, but if we are to heap tons of accolades on RW in victory, he needs to accept his fair share of the blame in our losses. He's not made out of Teflon.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:32 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Hawk Sista wrote:Pete said in the presser that one official signaled 1st down. RW, Lynch & Co saw it and called a 1st down play that nearly worked. And you lost respect for the kid for hearing what his teamMates did? For Baldwin dropping the same play he's made time & time again? For a kid who showed up at work at 4:30 am the next day to get better?? What?

I'll admit that 'losing respect' might be a little harsh as it evokes a personal appraisal. Disappointed might be better.

I'm not letting RW off the hook for not knowing the first down. Yea, I can understand how he might have been confused, but it's not an acceptable excuse IMO. He's the GD quarterback. Next time, perhaps he'll take a nano second to glance to the sidelines and confirm that the chains have moved and the down marker has advanced. And like I said, regardless of what down it was, his decision to forgo a sure 10-15 yard gain to throw a low percentage 15-20 yard sideline pass that the receiver had to lay flat out to catch, just barely keeping his feet in bounds, was not a good one. And that's just one play. There were others. In this league, anytime an offense nets just 89 passing yards, you can surmise that the quarterback didn't have a very good game.

Russell is not playing well, and the numbers bear that out: 11-27, 41% completion percentage, 1 TD 1 INT, 108 yards, 11.5 QBR, 49.6 RTG. Granted, there's a lot of reasons besides his poor play, the running game isn't going well, the OL is struggling, and receivers aren't getting open, but if we are to heap tons of accolades on RW in victory, he needs to accept his fair share of the blame in our losses. He's not made out of Teflon.

I agree he deserves his fair share of the blame and he has taken it but in my opinion you are going way over board, you can complain all you want about the throw to Baldwin but that is a play NFL WR make, the pass was on target, he caught it, feet in, and then dropped it when he hit the field, that's on Baldwin period and he said as much. If he makes that play who knows what happens, as to your eluding that Rw had 10-15 yard of running, well we really do not know that, AZ is a fast team, I am betting he would have gotten 8 at most and been killed as he would have had no place to get out of bounds and little room to slide.

I just think you are going way over the top

I said in other threads RW played bad he needs to pick it up, that is all it takes, given without him we are not were we are. I mean what your doing is bordering on a Witch hunt, okay he played bad it happens he has played way above avg 95% of the time and avg to slightly above avg 4.9% of the time, so while he should be called out that .1% he should not be persecuted to the level you are doing. IF this is the way you will be when ever he plays bad then you are going to be in for a long career because it will happen again, it does to all QB, Brees, Manning (both), Brady etc.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:18 pm

I can see RDs point though.Theres something for the pundits to be calling us out for. A month ago pundits were crowning Wilson as an MVP . And in Seattles offense he absolutely is. But he has been below the standards he has set for 3 consecutive games capped by the Sunday debacle.I hope its a minor thing and not an accumulation of hits making that baseball gig look better all the time. Lynch is running out of gas and our recievers are pedestrian. This team is cooked if Wilson doesnt discover his A game and soon. Sunday will tell us a lot about RW and these Hawks.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I can see RDs point though.Theres something for the pundits to be calling us out for. A month ago pundits were crowning Wilson as an MVP . And in Seattles offense he absolutely is. But he has been below the standards he has set for 3 consecutive games capped by the Sunday debacle.I hope its a minor thing and not an accumulation of hits making that baseball gig look better all the time. Lynch is running out of gas and our recievers are pedestrian. This team is cooked if Wilson doesnt discover his A game and soon. Sunday will tell us a lot about RW and these Hawks.

In a away I agree but it will say less about Rw and more about the o-line, wr, and especially the OC. To me I think the biggest issue is the OC and play calling he is not calling a lot that allows Rw to do what he does. He is calling a lot of plays were Rw is forced to only do one thing and that is the issue. We are at our best when Rw can improvise and has multiple types of pass offenses going on, short, , long, quick, screen, etc. the last 3 games except for an occasional drive it has been very one type. That is on the OC
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I can see RDs point though.Theres something for the pundits to be calling us out for. A month ago pundits were crowning Wilson as an MVP . And in Seattles offense he absolutely is. But he has been below the standards he has set for 3 consecutive games capped by the Sunday debacle.I hope its a minor thing and not an accumulation of hits making that baseball gig look better all the time. Lynch is running out of gas and our recievers are pedestrian. This team is cooked if Wilson doesnt discover his A game and soon. Sunday will tell us a lot about RW and these Hawks.

A buddy was sharing a similar opinion about Lynch. I guess I havent noticed him slowing down tho I wouldnt describe him as a burner to begin with. I see the same fight for every inch every time he touches the ball. I'm a bit surprised we havent seen more of Michael down the stretch. He seems electric for the few carries he's had this season. Assuming he has difficulty with blocking assignments or something? He seems to talented to not have a single touch the past few weeks.

As for the receivers... time to abandon the barrage of deep throws until we establish the underneath stuff. Tate, Baldwin and Kearse will each fight for the ball, but neither can get the separation for the deep ball without some help.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:11 pm

I definitely see Marshawn experiencing the effects of creating his own holes the bulk of the year (and last). Most great RBs, but Lynch in particular, get stronger as a game goes on and they've established their rhythm. Over the past few weeks, I've seen Lynch attack like a madman to start games, then I've seen him fade as the game progresses.

Coincidently, I am seeing a similar body language coming from RW. I suppose an easy explanation for this is our record. How the hell did we get to 12-3 with all the line issues etc?..Lynch, Wilson and Tate, to name but a few, giving a ridiculous amount of effort play after play is what got us here. If their exhaustion becomes the deciding factor in us NOT winning the SB...then I'm just fine with NOT winning the SB. Not much more could be expected from this team than 100% effort, and I do believe we got that....and perhaps a bit more. Go Hawks.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:34 pm

HawkWow wrote:I definitely see Marshawn experiencing the effects of creating his own holes the bulk of the year (and last). Most great RBs, but Lynch in particular, get stronger as a game goes on and they've established their rhythm. Over the past few weeks, I've seen Lynch attack like a madman to start games, then I've seen him fade as the game progresses.

Coincidently, I am seeing a similar body language coming from RW. I suppose an easy explanation for this is our record. How the hell did we get to 12-3 with all the line issues etc?..Lynch, Wilson and Tate, to name but a few, giving a ridiculous amount of effort play after play is what got us here. If their exhaustion becomes the deciding factor in us NOT winning the SB...then I'm just fine with NOT winning the SB. Not much more could be expected from this team than 100% effort, and I do believe we got that....and perhaps a bit more. Go Hawks.

And while I still think play calling has been a bigger issue, what you say about exhaustion could be as well, Rw and Lynch have burned the lions share on offense, and it could be they are worn down. Rw took a lot of hits this year more than any other QB in the league. So it could be.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Yeah..he sure did, Anthony. I cringe every time I review the Rams game (in my head). I REALLY wanted RW on the bench for the 2nd half vs STL this weekend, Lynch too. But instead we find ourselves in a must win situation against that damn Fisher and his hateful defense. Fish is capable of anything, especially back to the wall. He outcoached Pete last year and that will again be his mission statement for Sunday. We definitely need our A game because that bye just may be the difference in our overall health going forward.

I've not been overly thrilled with the playcalls either, but have to assume there is something more to that story. I can take Bevell or leave him, but Pete has a ton of confidence in the guy and they both have forgot more than I will ever know about such things, so I just kinda' stay away from the dynamics of the play calling.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:43 am

I agree he deserves his fair share of the blame and he has taken it but in my opinion you are going way over board, you can complain all you want about the throw to Baldwin but that is a play NFL WR make, the pass was on target, he caught it, feet in, and then dropped it when he hit the field, that's on Baldwin period and he said as much. If he makes that play who knows what happens, as to your eluding that Rw had 10-15 yard of running, well we really do not know that, AZ is a fast team, I am betting he would have gotten 8 at most and been killed as he would have had no place to get out of bounds and little room to slide.

Way overboard? 41% completion percentage, 89 net yards passing? It's pretty hard to go overboard when our guy puts up numbers like that. It had to be one of Russell's worst performances of his career as a Seahawk, and his play was one of the primary reasons why we lost.

No place to get out of bounds? There was no one between him and the sidelines. It was a catchable pass, but not "perfect". He led the receiver out of bounds and the defender was a couple of steps behind. He had enough space to throw a few feet to the inbounds side so that Baldwin would not have had to lay out for it. Russell was on the move and running away from his throwing side. That is not a situation where he is at his best. It was a low percentage throw compared to other situations, ie stationary or moving to his right. You need to go back and re-watch that play as I have. And like I said, that wasn't the only play where he made a bad decision. There were others, quite a bit more than usual for him.

It's not some sort of sacrilegious statement to call out one of our players when they had a bad game, even when it happens to be our best player.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:41 am

Wilson seems to play better when he takes advantage of running opportunities. I think it's part of putting pressure on the Defense. When he doesn't do that, and takes a chance on a much lower probability play, it plays into the Defenses hands because the run threat is removed.

It seems to me that most successful games by RW have drives sustained by a few runs by him. I think when he gets back to that the Offense will get back 'On Schedule' to use one of their terms.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:12 am

NorthHawk wrote:Wilson seems to play better when he takes advantage of running opportunities. I think it's part of putting pressure on the Defense. When he doesn't do that, and takes a chance on a much lower probability play, it plays into the Defenses hands because the run threat is removed.

It seems to me that most successful games by RW have drives sustained by a few runs by him. I think when he gets back to that the Offense will get back 'On Schedule' to use one of their terms.

I agree. Sometimes I get the impression that Russell is a little sensitive to being labeled as a running quarterback and hence throws the ball in situations when his best option is to run.

We're going to have a fierce pass rush to deal with this weekend. I'd love to see Russell break out of the pocket a few times and put those pass rushers on their heals. Last game vs. the Rams, I didn't think we got him outside the pocket enough.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:29 am

"Way overboard? 41% completion percentage, 89 net yards passing? It's pretty hard to go overboard when our guy puts up numbers like that. It had to be one of Russell's worst performances of his career as a Seahawk, and his play was one of the primary reasons why we lost." RD

Your missing the point. Yes! We can talk about RWs lousy games/plays. The point of the OP was to point out that it's all or nothing. Even used the point that Kaep was great, Kaep is a loser roller coaster.

RW is a rising star with lots of promise. He had a horrible game.....I shouted so loudly at a 3rd & 8 inc that I scared my dog. Russ was off. I was frustrated. It's ok.... Remember there are 53 dudes on the other side of the field who all want what we want. They train, pound, grind, sweat, eat, drink & sleep it.

Sure, hold RW accountable- he is the 1st to do the same. But to lose respect for a kid who has lifted your O on his shoulders all season and, along w/ the Beast, drug the rest of the team to a 12-2 record, is a major overreact, IMHO.

As to the fatigue of the guys.... Russ has a saying #notimeforsleep. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but sleep is important. At work late, in by 4:30..... One cannot be at their best w/ out sleep. I hope he's getting some.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:07 pm

RiverDog wrote:I agree he deserves his fair share of the blame and he has taken it but in my opinion you are going way over board, you can complain all you want about the throw to Baldwin but that is a play NFL WR make, the pass was on target, he caught it, feet in, and then dropped it when he hit the field, that's on Baldwin period and he said as much. If he makes that play who knows what happens, as to your eluding that Rw had 10-15 yard of running, well we really do not know that, AZ is a fast team, I am betting he would have gotten 8 at most and been killed as he would have had no place to get out of bounds and little room to slide.

Way overboard? 41% completion percentage, 89 net yards passing? It's pretty hard to go overboard when our guy puts up numbers like that. It had to be one of Russell's worst performances of his career as a Seahawk, and his play was one of the primary reasons why we lost.

No place to get out of bounds? There was no one between him and the sidelines. It was a catchable pass, but not "perfect". He led the receiver out of bounds and the defender was a couple of steps behind. He had enough space to throw a few feet to the inbounds side so that Baldwin would not have had to lay out for it. Russell was on the move and running away from his throwing side. That is not a situation where he is at his best. It was a low percentage throw compared to other situations, ie stationary or moving to his right. You need to go back and re-watch that play as I have. And like I said, that wasn't the only play where he made a bad decision. There were others, quite a bit more than usual for him.

It's not some sort of sacrilegious statement to call out one of our players when they had a bad game, even when it happens to be our best player.

Actually given that compared to the other 14 games yeah you are going over board dude, he had a bad game it happens let me remind you 3 drops, no blocking , wr getting no separation, bad play calling, penalties ending drives, I mean the way you are talking its like you blame him for everything, HE is human he could not for once make up for the mistakes of the rest of the offense, that does not mean you have to go all Romo on him. He did not loose the game for us, in fact he gave us a lead that our defense thanks to dumb penalties could not hold.

As to you being over critical of the pass, you wrong

let stry it again,

Did Baldwin catch the ball in bounds...yes
did he have possession..yes
did he loose possession when he hit the ground...yes

SO that makes in on Baldwin all the experts said the same thing, the announcers etc, just deal with it,

ITs not the its bad to call him out we all said he had a bad game, but what you are doing is boarding on Jacknut stuff.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:10 pm

Then you should just stop watching the game because I guarantee you he will make another mistake at some point they all do. You keep saying we cannot afford those mistakes and I agree but we also cannot afford to rely on him to make something out of nothing all year like we have, others need to step up. SO you are really being jacknut esk with your whole approach. its pathetic dude, really.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:"Way overboard? 41% completion percentage, 89 net yards passing? It's pretty hard to go overboard when our guy puts up numbers like that. It had to be one of Russell's worst performances of his career as a Seahawk, and his play was one of the primary reasons why we lost." RD

Your missing the point. Yes! We can talk about RWs lousy games/plays. The point of the OP was to point out that it's all or nothing. Even used the point that Kaep was great, Kaep is a loser roller coaster.

RW is a rising star with lots of promise. He had a horrible game.....I shouted so loudly at a 3rd & 8 inc that I scared my dog. Russ was off. I was frustrated. It's ok.... Remember there are 53 dudes on the other side of the field who all want what we want. They train, pound, grind, sweat, eat, drink & sleep it.

Sure, hold RW accountable- he is the 1st to do the same. But to lose respect for a kid who has lifted your O on his shoulders all season and, along w/ the Beast, drug the rest of the team to a 12-2 record, is a major overreact, IMHO.

As to the fatigue of the guys.... Russ has a saying #notimeforsleep. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but sleep is important. At work late, in by 4:30..... One cannot be at their best w/ out sleep. I hope he's getting some.

You must have missed my post where I revised my "lost respect" tag. It implies too much of a personal appraisal. I changed it to disappointed. You're right, it was over the top.

But I stand by anything else. I'm not one to accept excuses, like not knowing the down and distance. I'm calling him out and challenging him to reinforce my opinion of him as one of the top QB's in the league and to show me that last Sunday was an anomaly. Sorry if my tough love approach doesn't fit some of you folk's style, but I call a spade a spade, and that performance Sunday was awful.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:43 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Hawk Sista wrote:"Way overboard? 41% completion percentage, 89 net yards passing? It's pretty hard to go overboard when our guy puts up numbers like that. It had to be one of Russell's worst performances of his career as a Seahawk, and his play was one of the primary reasons why we lost." RD

You must have missed my post where I revised my "lost respect" tag. It implies too much of a personal appraisal. I changed it to disappointed. You're right, it was over the top.

But I stand by anything else. I'm not one to accept excuses, like not knowing the down and distance. I'm calling him out and challenging him to reinforce my opinion of him as one of the top QB's in the league and to show me that last Sunday was an anomaly. Sorry if my tough love approach doesn't fit some of you folk's style, but I call a spade a spade, and that performance Sunday was awful.

Its not that the "tough Love" approach does or does not fit, but you are doing it with the 1 guy you probably do not need to. Were is your tough love for tate and his drop and less then great play, or Kearse and his 2 drops, or Baldwin and his drop, OR the o-line and their horrible play OR lynch, or the defense and there scoring drive maintain dumb penalties, or ST and there fumble, block fg, or the OC and his horrible play calling etc. You are picking on the one guy who has carried us and hidden the issues with the WR, o-lien, Ruin game. That is the point here, you are going all Jacknut on Rw but nothing anyone else who have as much if not more culpability than Rw. We and he knows he played bad and we and he know she will play better, can you say the same about the others? Were they in at 4am the next day? That is the point.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:38 pm

One thing that has to be considered in this dialogue regarding RW, Anthony, especially when designating a percentage of blame, you can't deny that Tate and Baldwin have bailed RW out more times than they've let him (us) down. I think that is one reason RD has put a bit more emphasis on RW than he has his receivers (this time around)...and I agree with his sentiment (this time around). Consider the many circus catches all of Wilson's receivers, including Miller, made both this year and last. I think RW is one of the finest QBs in the league but is still going through some growing pains.

If he were almost any other QB, we wouldn't bat an eye, but his performance last year raised the bar so high that we now see him as sub-human. And worse, RW has to live up to that and knowing him like we do, it would be easy to believe he is now forcing the game much more so than necessary. I think that is RW's problem. The team has been hammered by injury and Harvin. I sincerely believe that the weight is taking it's toll on Wilson and disallowing him from letting the game just come to him. I believe he will play his way through this and this will come as no surprise to any of you when I say I blame Harvin, at least in part, for what we are currently experiencing in the passing game. The loss of Rice and the Harvin fiasco is putting a huge strain on both RW and his WRs. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this BS Harvin melodrama is negatively impacting the entire offense. I could be wrong but we have no way of knowing...not until Sherman writes his bestseller.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Its not that the "tough Love" approach does or does not fit, but you are doing it with the 1 guy you probably do not need to. Were is your tough love for tate and his drop and less then great play, or Kearse and his 2 drops, or Baldwin and his drop, OR the o-line and their horrible play OR lynch, or the defense and there scoring drive maintain dumb penalties, or ST and there fumble, block fg, or the OC and his horrible play calling etc. You are picking on the one guy who has carried us and hidden the issues with the WR, o-lien, Ruin game. That is the point here, you are going all Jacknut on Rw but nothing anyone else who have as much if not more culpability than Rw. We and he knows he played bad and we and he know she will play better, can you say the same about the others? Were they in at 4am the next day? That is the point.

The discussion in this thread has centered around RW's performance, not Kearse, Baldwin, Lynch, play calling, or special teams. If you want me to comment on other aspects of the loss, then make a post about it, or better yet, start a thread about it, and I'll weigh in. Russell is our quarterback, and as such, he is the most influential, most responsible, and most visible player on our team. Whether it's fair or not, he receives the most credit when we win and the most blame when we lose. Criticism of his play, especially in bad losses like we had Sunday, comes with the territory.

Oh, and please cease with the "going all Jacknut" comments. Let's not spoil this new forum by starting a pissing contest. Attack the post, not the poster.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:12 pm

HawkWow wrote:One thing that has to be considered in this dialogue regarding RW, Anthony, especially when designating a percentage of blame, you can't deny that Tate and Baldwin have bailed RW out more times than they've let him (us) down. I think that is one reason RD has put a bit more emphasis on RW than he has his receivers (this time around)...and I agree with his sentiment (this time around). Consider the many circus catches all of Wilson's receivers, including Miller, made both this year and last. I think RW is one of the finest QBs in the league but is still going through some growing pains.

If he were almost any other QB, we wouldn't bat an eye, but his performance last year raised the bar so high that we now see him as sub-human. And worse, RW has to live up to that and knowing him like we do, it would be easy to believe he is now forcing the game much more so than necessary. I think that is RW's problem. The team has been hammered by injury and Harvin. I sincerely believe that the weight is taking it's toll on Wilson and disallowing him from letting the game just come to him. I believe he will play his way through this and this will come as no surprise to any of you when I say I blame Harvin, at least in part, for what we are currently experiencing in the passing game. The loss of Rice and the Harvin fiasco is putting a huge strain on both RW and his WRs. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this BS Harvin melodrama is negatively impacting the entire offense. I could be wrong but we have no way of knowing...not until Sherman writes his bestseller.

Yes and no, you could easily argue that RW trusting them to make the play and putting it were they can set them up to be better than they really are. Again I have no problem saying he played bad, he did, or putting blame on him he deserves it, but the length and depth of is it ridiculous.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:13 pm

RiverDog wrote:Its not that the "tough Love" approach does or does not fit, but you are doing it with the 1 guy you probably do not need to. Were is your tough love for tate and his drop and less then great play, or Kearse and his 2 drops, or Baldwin and his drop, OR the o-line and their horrible play OR lynch, or the defense and there scoring drive maintain dumb penalties, or ST and there fumble, block fg, or the OC and his horrible play calling etc. You are picking on the one guy who has carried us and hidden the issues with the WR, o-lien, Ruin game. That is the point here, you are going all Jacknut on Rw but nothing anyone else who have as much if not more culpability than Rw. We and he knows he played bad and we and he know she will play better, can you say the same about the others? Were they in at 4am the next day? That is the point.

The discussion in this thread has centered around RW's performance, not Kearse, Baldwin, Lynch, play calling, or special teams. If you want me to comment on other aspects of the loss, then make a post about it, or better yet, start a thread about it, and I'll weigh in. Russell is our quarterback, and as such, he is the most influential, most responsible, and most visible player on our team. Whether it's fair or not, he receives the most credit when we win and the most blame when we lose. Criticism of his play, especially in bad losses like we had Sunday, comes with the territory.

Oh, and please cease with the "going all Jacknut" comments. Let's not spoil this new forum by starting a pissing contest. Attack the post, not the poster.

Actually the title was pundits calling us out, they called out the wr, the play calling and the o-line as well, so again were is your ire for them?
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Anthony wrote:
RiverDog wrote:Its not that the "tough Love" approach does or does not fit, but you are doing it with the 1 guy you probably do not need to. Were is your tough love for tate and his drop and less then great play, or Kearse and his 2 drops, or Baldwin and his drop, OR the o-line and their horrible play OR lynch, or the defense and there scoring drive maintain dumb penalties, or ST and there fumble, block fg, or the OC and his horrible play calling etc. You are picking on the one guy who has carried us and hidden the issues with the WR, o-lien, Ruin game. That is the point here, you are going all Jacknut on Rw but nothing anyone else who have as much if not more culpability than Rw. We and he knows he played bad and we and he know she will play better, can you say the same about the others? Were they in at 4am the next day? That is the point.

Actually the title was pundits calling us out, they called out the wr, the play calling and the o-line as well, so again were is your ire for them?

The original post, started by sis, was almost entirely about RW and the criticism he was being subjected to, as was nearly all of the subsequent posts by everyone else that weighed in. I merely added my two cents worth on the premise presented in the original post.

If you would like to discuss wide receivers, play calling, Marshawn Lynch, the offensive line, et al, then be my guest. I'm all ears.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:19 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Anthony wrote:

The original post, started by sis, was almost entirely about RW and the criticism he was being subjected to, as was nearly all of the subsequent posts by everyone else that weighed in. I merely added my two cents worth on the premise presented in the original post.

If you would like to discuss wide receivers, play calling, Marshawn Lynch, the offensive line, et al, then be my guest. I'm all ears.

uhh the first thing she said was

"{Tim Hass says our receivers are mediocre & RW has been keeping it together and hiding the glaring weakness @ wideout."

That's a negative about our WRs and yet you focused on Rw.

Now that said What discussion would you like to have about our WR not being very good the last few games, or the horrible play calling or the porous o-line and mediocre run game. You see that is my problem with your outburst, yes Rw played bad, but 1 bad game in a season were he carried us, hid our weaknesses like when the o-lien was in shambles, and you want to lay in on as thick as you did. its pretty pathetic, heck Jacknuts in the other forum is being better about it then you and you know how anti Rw he is, but even he is like, okay he had a bad game, was bound to happen given how much we were asking of him and he believes he will bounce back, but you your off the hill on it.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:57 pm

"{Tim Hass says our receivers are mediocre & RW has been keeping it together and hiding the glaring weakness @ wideout."

Now that said What discussion would you like to have about our WR not being very good the last few games, or the horrible play calling or the porous o-line and mediocre run game. You see that is my problem with your outburst, yes Rw played bad, but 1 bad game in a season were he carried us, hid our weaknesses like when the o-lien was in shambles, and you want to lay in on as thick as you did. its pretty pathetic, heck Jacknuts in the other forum is being better about it then you and you know how anti Rw he is, but even he is like, okay he had a bad game, was bound to happen given how much we were asking of him and he believes he will bounce back, but you your off the hill on it.

Uhh, that wasn't the first thing she said. Go back and re-read the IP and you will see that it says as follows:

As predicted, the 12-3 Hawks are getting hammered in the media and as predicted, criticism of RW was waaay bigger than this game.

I've about had it with discussing this topic with you. Despite my pleas for you to stop, you continue to attack me, saying I'm "pretty pathetic", comparing me to another poster, etc. If you want to have an intelligent discussion, then fine, I'm game. But let's not go down the path of attacking each other personally.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Uhh, that wasn't the first thing she said. Go back and re-read the original post and you will see that the first sentence reads as follows:

As predicted, the 12-3 Hawks are getting hammered in the media and as predicted, criticism of RW was waaay bigger than this game.

And so what if I "focused on RW"? Are you trying to tell me what I can and can't comment on?

I've about had it with discussing this topic with you. Despite my pleas for you to stop, you continue to attack me, saying I'm "pretty pathetic", comparing me to another poster, etc. If you want to have an intelligent discussion, then fine, I'm game. But let's not go down the path of attacking each other personally. I'm entitled to my opinion.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:06 am

RW has been so overwhelmingly clutch that, while plays like this one are frustrating, they certainly don't take away from who he truly is as a QB. He's gonna make the right decision much more often than not. People can ague or debate a point any way they want to. What's interesting is the focus and the importance placed on the situation. It cuts both ways, and the bottom line is Wilson is gonna win tons more games than he's gonna lose for us, including a SB(s), IMO.

EDIT: This by no means is a personal attack on you, RD. Looks like you and Anthony have had an intense debate going on, though admittingly I haven't read through the whole thing.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:35 am

RW has been so overwhelmingly clutch that, while plays like this one are frustrating, they certainly don't take away from who he truly is as a QB. He's gonna make the right decision much more often than not. People can ague or debate a point any way they want to. What's interesting is the focus and the importance placed on the situation. It cuts both ways, and the bottom line is Wilson is gonna win tons more games than he's gonna lose for us, including a SB(s), IMO.
EDIT: This by no means is a personal attack on you, RD. Looks like you and Anthony have had an intense debate going on, though admittingly I haven't read through the whole thing.

My comments about RW have been limited pretty much to this last game. I agree that he's going to make the right decision more times than he's going to make the wrong decision.

Anthony thinks I'm picking on Russell, and to some degree, he's right. Russell can play better than he did last Sunday, and he has to play better if we are going anywhere. I'm fully confident that he will. The debate that we're having is that he insists that I include other members of our team in my critical remarks. So long as my remarks conform to the general forum rules, no one's going to tell me what I should or should not be discussing.
RiverDog
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum