The almighty NFCW

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The almighty NFCW

Postby HawkWow » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Holy moly this division is getting stout. That display by the Cards, whom I had picked to finish last in the division, was truly awesome in providing a very difficult match-up for our Hawks.....and not by coincidence, either.

At the beginning of the year, I picked the division to finish:

1) Hawks
2) Rams
3) 9ers
4) Cards

If I had to be wrong, I'm glad it wasn't about us (fingers crossed). The Rams had some misfortunes, as Rams do, and the Cards stunned me by getting anything resembling an NFL QB out of Palmer. The 9ers are also a couple games better than I predicted they would be (I underestimated Kaep and felt Gore was done) but I think it would be a mistake to see the Rams as no better than their current record. I still maintain they will soon be our biggest threat. Very soon.

At the top I said I didn't believe any of this to be coincidence. The Rams and Cards have drafted and brought in FAs with 2 things in mind: Beat the Hawks, beat the 9ers. I suppose to some degree, SF and our Hawks have done the same thing, but more fine tuning and looking at the future (Michael / Lattimore) than Zona and STL.

Now, after constantly being harassed by the Mrs, while writing this, I forgot where I was going with this...but trust me...it was going to be good. Perhaps real good (!?).

LOL...anyway, I think we all know what I am saying here. The Rams are a QB away, IMO, from being our worst nitemare and the Cards gave me nitemares last night. They also need a QB and I see them and the 9ers playing for 3rd place and us and the Rams playing for 1st for the next several years. I do hope the Rams blow it in this draft and I think they might (Manziel).

Am I over rating the Rams, perhaps putting too much on that demon pass rush they feature? Thanks to the Skins, They seem to be adding pieces that will create havoc for years to come....and yes, they do worry me. You?
HawkWow
Legacy

Re: The almighty NFCW

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:35 pm

At the beginning of the year I thought it possible that each team in the NFCW could go 3-3 in the division. It looks even more possible next year with the Rams getting more high picks and the Cards now believing in their new coach. These next few years could be a lot of fun and maybe anguish, but no more "NFC Worst".
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:57 pm

NorthHawk wrote:At the beginning of the year I thought it possible that each team in the NFCW could go 3-3 in the division. It looks even more possible next year with the Rams getting more high picks and the Cards now believing in their new coach. These next few years could be a lot of fun and maybe anguish, but no more "NFC Worst".

Yep. From the outhouse to the penthouse. We will beat each other senseless, softening each other up for the others...like the Bucks, 76ers and Boston used to do while LA rested, waiting for whatever was left. But if it don't kill ya....
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:14 pm

And if the trend continues, it will become more difficult to secure a top seed in future seasons. Important to nail it down this year.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:16 pm

I was sad when we moved out of the AFC West. Didn't want to lose the rivalries we had. But this is gonna go to another level. And we aint the ugly stepchild anymore
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:16 am

Clem7 wrote:And if the trend continues, it will become more difficult to secure a top seed in future seasons. Important to nail it down this year.

That's my point. Our window isn't as wide as some believe. In addition to seeding, it may even make it more difficult to bring top FAs in. Not many diva WRs are going to want to face these D's 6 x a year. Just ask Percy Harvin.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:34 am

With each team in the NFCW beating each other up, it will probably be more difficult to get a WC from this division as well.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:36 am

On another forum in August, I believe I had our division finishing as...

Seahawks (12 or 13 W's)
49ers (11 or 12 W's
Rams (7 W's)
Cards (6 W's)

I really underestimated AZ, and figured the Rams to be about where they are now, though they have had some solid wins this season, and even manhandled a couple (@Indy, vs Chi, vs N.O.)

That said, they are 2-5 on the road this year. And while we can't take anybody lightly after what happened last week, the Seahawks just need to play their game to take this. I do agree that the gameplan needs to be a lil' more dynamic, to say the least, to offset the pressure that Long and Quinn bring.

Screen passes, wheel routes to RB's, using Miller and Luke over the middle would go a long way in keep Stl off balance.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:51 am

In another thread someone suggested playing Michael. Maybe they are right, and it's time. I don't mind Turbin as a backup, but Michael just might have a little extra something to spark the Offense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:58 am

NorthHawk wrote:In another thread someone suggested playing Michael. Maybe they are right, and it's time. I don't mind Turbin as a backup, but Michael just might have a little extra something to spark the Offense.

I think Turbin might have two fumbled his way off a spot on the team next year. I am exaggerating, and his performance has been decent until last Sunday. I'm with you NorthHawk, I want to now see Michael play. He may be the spark that might help our o line. He has decent speed so this would be a nice twist.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Zorn76 wrote:On another forum in August, I believe I had our division finishing as...

Seahawks (12 or 13 W's)
49ers (11 or 12 W's
Rams (7 W's)
Cards (6 W's)

I really underestimated AZ, and figured the Rams to be about where they are now, though they have had some solid wins this season, and even manhandled a couple (@Indy, vs Chi, vs N.O.)

That said, they are 2-5 on the road this year. And while we can't take anybody lightly after what happened last week, the Seahawks just need to play their game to take this. I do agree that the gameplan needs to be a lil' more dynamic, to say the least, to offset the pressure that Long and Quinn bring.

Screen passes, wheel routes to RB's, using Miller and Luke over the middle would go a long way in keep Stl off balance.

They manhandled us, to an extent, as well. Austin took a bit longer to grasp the O than I expected and I thought Bradford would remain healthy for a year...why? I don't know. But had Bradford stayed healthy, I'd have to think a couple more wins would have been possible...then they are right up near the top along with us and the others. But regardless of this year, I sincerely believe they have made the most of their drafts...with more to come. Zona did better than expected for sure, but us nor the 9ers really compare when it comes to the draft classes of the other 2 teams in the division. Sooner or later, we will feel that.

I hear you on Turbin, Eagle, I have done my best to consider his limitations to be the byproduct of his limited reps, but fumbling twice on KOs??....while I put most of that blame on Pete, Turbin has to own some of that too, whether familiar with the role or not. We better pray Michael has something to offer and is not a TO machine as reported. God forbid we lose an aging, battle scarred Lynch. Happy with this year for sure...worried about our near future..for sure.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:56 pm

HawkWow wrote:
Zorn76 wrote:On another forum in August, I believe I had our division finishing as...

Seahawks (12 or 13 W's)
49ers (11 or 12 W's
Rams (7 W's)
Cards (6 W's)

They manhandled us, to an extent, as well. Austin took a bit longer to grasp the O than I expected and I thought Bradford would remain healthy for a year...why? I don't know. But had Bradford stayed healthy, I'd have to think a couple more wins would have been possible...then they are right up near the top along with us and the others. But regardless of this year, I sincerely believe they have made the most of their drafts...with more to come. Zona did better than expected for sure, but us nor the 9ers really compare when it comes to the draft classes of the other 2 teams in the division. Sooner or later, we will feel that.

I hear you on Turbin, Eagle, I have done my best to consider his limitations to be the byproduct of his limited reps, but fumbling twice on KOs??....while I put most of that blame on Pete, Turbin has to own some of that too, whether familiar with the role or not. We better pray Michael has something to offer and is not a TO machine as reported. God forbid we lose an aging, battle scarred Lynch. Happy with this year for sure...worried about our near future..for sure.

Putting Turbin back there to return KO's has never been fully explained, or at least I've never heard it explained. Turbin is built to run through things, not around them. I wonder if losing Rice and Harvin's failure to launch has caused us to shy away from putting one of the WR's back there?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:18 pm

That's my thought, RD. Kearse got dinged and while Baldwin looks more the part, rather risky, potentially taking him out of the offense. I assumed Pete drafted Michael for such duties while grooming him to replace Lynch. I sincerely hope he didn't think Harvin would handle those duties with regularity. But who knows? Michael seems to like running through people too, but at least he has a burst (In theory). ; )

Watching Kearse return kicks was bad enough, but Turbin? I said a few weeks ago that if I were the opposition, I would NEVER kick deep. My kicker would be on the practice field until he could consistently kick the ball high, dropping it at the goal line, to whatever body Pete decides to place there.

Watching our offense this past week, I gained a new respect for Sid Rice. Not that I think he was worthy of more than about 3 -4 mil per, but his absence seems to be taking it's toll on our other guys. Nobody requires extra attention and it's allowing the D to cheat like crazy. The Rams D is, IMO, our worst nitemare. A great front and solid corners (not to mention great LBs). I think how we do Sunday will be very telling going forward (SF, Carolina).
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:12 am

Turbin now just will be tasked with running the ball. But as you suggested RD and S Wow we don't know why he was even put there in the first place to KO. Why wasn't that question asked during the Presser? I swear the soft ball questions they ask sometimes is just ridiculous. I have noticed this sometimes, not all the times though. During one Sherman press conference, 5 questions were asked about his dance moves. Ridiculous.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:42 pm

It seems C. Michael is groomed to replace Marshawn. Maybe they are trying to preserve the tread on his tires for now. I would like to see him worked into the game plan and we may yet see that this year.

Michael can hammer people like Marshawn (ok similar). But the speed and effortless change of direction in stride he exhibits is the best on the team imo (running backs). He will knock Turbin down a notch when given the chance.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:11 pm

People seem to think that somehow Michael is a better back than Turbin and that he isn't getting the playing time because he is being "groomed" to replace Beast. Or perhaps that we're playing Turbin to get our money's worth out of him ...

Nonsense. If Chris were a better back right now he'd be getting the playing time right now. He's got a better burst perhaps than Robert does, and maybe more eventual upside but there's got to be something about his game (pass pro is my guess, which could be the same as saying assignment correctness) that is not yet up to Turbins level.

Also, we all know the dollars are not the issue with Pete but Michael is costing us almost twice what Turbin is. Turbo was a 4th rounder, Chris a #2 ... the only reason not to play him has got to be his game.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:34 pm

..or attitude.

I agree this notion that we're saving Michael can't be close to reality. Aside from the reported poor pass blocking and potential for being a ST liability (!?) I think there's more to the story. A&M passed with great frequency and he's been coached for 6 months by some of the best coaches on the planet. Still he can't pass block? Still he can be trusted on ST?

Unsure if I want there to be more to the story, or not. His inactivity is not promising regardless of the reason. And as far as back-up backs go..Turbin's not scaring people, but he does his job and holds onto the ball (from the position). I'd like to see us upgrade and hopefully that upgrade will eventually be CM, but Turbin IMO, is serviceable in the interim. After being something of a goat all week, I think he makes something happen tomorrow. Go Turbo.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:41 pm

No doubt you guys are most likely on point about Michael.

If so, I do remember Tate went through similar "on the bench" for various reasons and extended time. He has turned the corner I would say.

The "upside" on Michael is huge, so I hope he pans out.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:02 pm

You and I both, Clem7. I hate to think Baalke outsmarted us with the Lattimore pick. Reports suggest he's ahead of schedule and better, he's a great kid (no baggage). Not doing the hindsight Nostradamus thing, but if it looked like Michael would sit the year, we could have traded that 2 back and picked up both Keenan Allen and Marcus Lattimore for the price of Michael alone.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:23 pm

This is what makes the NFL the best professional sports league by a mile. In 2010 this div was a national joke. 3 yrs later it's unquestionably the best div in the NFL. And as with all divisions, there figures to be more unexpected turnover in future yrs due to draft, FA and injuries. Seattle and SF both have very strong FOs, so you'd expect them to remain in the mix. But even in a div like the North - where the Pack have arguably the NFL's best QB and all around talent - it took a miracle for them to win their Div for the 3rd consecutive yr. The only constant I expect is consistent turnover at the top of the division
Futureite
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Futureite wrote:This is what makes the NFL the best professional sports league by a mile. In 2010 this div was a national joke. 3 yrs later it's unquestionably the best div in the NFL. And as with all divisions, there figures to be more unexpected turnover in future yrs due to draft, FA and injuries. Seattle and SF both have very strong FOs, so you'd expect them to remain in the mix. But even in a div like the North - where the Pack have arguably the NFL's best QB and all around talent - it took a miracle for them to win their Div for the 3rd consecutive yr. The only constant I expect is consistent turnover at the top of the division

I definitely think Rodgers is the best QB in the league. GB struggled because of injuries to the line and their inability to run block, or identify a solid back to run the ball. Which is a bit surprising, as they have always had very good if not great RBs, sometimes, more than 1 in the same backfield. Now they have their back (or 2) and will likely, ultimately benefit from the experience their line back ups have received (similar to us). I don't closely follow the Pack so I'm uncertain exactly where the line is at, but I'd give odds they win their division next year and will likely go deep in the playoffs, too. Not suggesting they are finished this year but the 9ers match up really well against them and are also built for cold weather football. The 9ers should torment Rodgers, who's not had much practice, and win by no less than 10 pts, IMO.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Trying to respond to post above by Hawkwow. Sure I will figure this out at some point.

Anyhow, the Packers are a tough team to figure out. In 2010 I believe they had a top 5 D and despite being decimated by injuries, their secondary held through the entire postseason. I belueve they beat Chi 21-14 in the NFCCCG that yr, with Cutler going down early in the 2nd qtr and Caleb Haney filling in. They then lost Charles Woodson to injury in the SB, but held it together with Williams et al filling in. They were incredibly deep on D that yr, and most around the league expected that deoth to carry them for yrs.

Fastforward to 2011 and every yr since - their D has sucked it up. They are a prolific passing team now, without much else on either side of the ball (I post that knowing Lacy had a great yr - just don't believe they can line up and run v any good D). The constant is Rodgers, who is almost always brilliant. I wish I had the same confidence in my home team as you do in the enemy; I think the Pack are the worst possible draw we could have had in the 1st RD. They have their MVP back, Randall Cobb, homefield and a ton of momentum. They scare me for sure.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Definitely not saying the Pack shouldn't be a concern to the forward motion of your 9ers, they are, but the Bears D isn't the 9ers D. I could be wrong, but looking at the highlights from yesterday's game, I think the always dangerous on the move Rodgers was as fortunate as he was good. Especially on that broken coverage TD toss to Cobb. I don't see the 9ers giving up that play and I definitely think the 2 months of missed practice will hurt Rodgers worse vs SF that it did vs. Chicago.

We've already established that I'm not a huge fan (yet) of Kaep, but he brings an element to the table Cutler never dreamed of. Further, as of now, I believe Matthews is out ...that I don't understand (it's a firkin thumb...right?) but with him out, I see Harbaugh moving Kaep probably more than usual and I just think SF presents MANY more problems for GB than did the Bears yesterday. With a gun to my head, I'd call it 28-20 SF.

BTW...I spent my youth in Milwaukee. There was a time I loved the Pack as much as I love the Hawks today. So it's not easy for me to make the above prediction. Just the way I see it playing out.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:23 pm

We will play the niners in our first game. You can bank on it.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:02 pm

HawkWow wrote:Definitely not saying the Pack shouldn't be a concern to the forward motion of your 9ers, they are, but the Bears D isn't the 9ers D. I could be wrong, but looking at the highlights from yesterday's game, I think the always dangerous on the move Rodgers was as fortunate as he was good. Especially on that broken coverage TD toss to Cobb. I don't see the 9ers giving up that play and I definitely think the 2 months of missed practice will hurt Rodgers worse vs SF that it did vs. Chicago.

We've already established that I'm not a huge fan (yet) of Kaep, but he brings an element to the table Cutler never dreamed of. Further, as of now, I believe Matthews is out ...that I don't understand (it's a firkin thumb...right?) but with him out, I see Harbaugh moving Kaep probably more than usual and I just think SF presents MANY more problems for GB than did the Bears yesterday. With a gun to my head, I'd call it 28-20 SF.

BTW...I spent my youth in Milwaukee. There was a time I loved the Pack as much as I love the Hawks today. So it's not easy for me to make the above prediction. Just the way I see it playing out.

I hope you are right. Everything is a struggle this yr. I am happy with 12-4 regardless. You cannot win every yr, or even most yrs.

Btw, Malcom Smith is balling. I got mad when his pick 6 highlight came up during Niner game, like this f'er nearly had one the last game! Lol. The speed and depth on your D is pretty incredible right now. I am hoping Tank Carradine does the same for us next yr.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:47 pm

The Rams could've well won the NFC north, NFC east, AFC south and had a shot at the AFC north with a back up QB and rookies at RB & WR. Cards & niners would've for sure. It worked out this year that playing in the most solid division seems to have strengthened rather than weakened us.... But that is certainly not a foregone conclusion year in and year out.

For the record, I was teased mercilessly for fearing the Rams and Cards as much as the niners. Some could see the potential for the rams but I was laughed at for giving love to the Cards. Their D is straight up solid. i'm thinkin' I'm due some respect. ;) I think their D is better than the niners right now. Had C P not thrown 4 INTs, we would've lost by more than a TD. They moved the ball on as at the clink better than most.

I'm all at once glad and worried by the strength of the Division. The Rams & the hawks are still very young too. It should be a fun 5-7 years if we don't all each other 1st.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:56 pm

You and I both. I picked the Rams to finish 2nd in the division. A prediction I don't regret. Things (Bradford) just didn't work out for them this year. They are young, aggressive and remind me a lot of us in many ways. I don't believe that to be coincidence. ; )

The Cards have a nice mix of young and old, but their older players will be hard to replace. Despite the split (again) this year, I believe we have the 9ers number. And I think the Rams are just a couple players shy of having ours. Again, not coincidently.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:The Rams could've well won the NFC north, NFC east, AFC south and had a shot at the AFC north with a back up QB and rookies at RB & WR. Cards & niners would've for sure. It worked out this year that playing in the most solid division seems to have strengthened rather than weakened us.... But that is certainly not a foregone conclusion year in and year out.

For the record, I was teased mercilessly for fearing the Rams and Cards as much as the niners. Some could see the potential for the rams but I was laughed at for giving love to the Cards. Their D is straight up solid. i'm thinkin' I'm due some respect. ;) I think their D is better than the niners right now. Had C P not thrown 4 INTs, we would've lost by more than a TD. They moved the ball on as at the clink better than most.

I'm all at once glad and worried by the strength of the Division. The Rams & the hawks are still very young too. It should be a fun 5-7 years if we don't all each other 1st.

You got my respect girl! Always have ;)
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:28 pm

I remember having this conversation with CP ( thank god that idiot hasn't shown up yet, though Future unfortunately has) back in 2011 that the NFC west was on the rise and would be the best division in the NFL within three years ( though it came early) I was dead on, along with being the first person I know of to coin the NFC Least moniker. I almost wish he would show up so I could rub his sanctimonious nose in it ( course he would just ignore it, it's what he did after all)...LOL
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:24 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:I remember having this conversation with CP ( thank god that idiot hasn't shown up yet, though Future unfortunately has) back in 2011 that the NFC west was on the rise and would be the best division in the NFL within three years ( though it came early) I was dead on, along with being the first person I know of to coin the NFC Least moniker. I almost wish he would show up so I could rub his sanctimonious nose in it ( course he would just ignore it, it's what he did after all)...LOL

Ahh, CPR. I disliked that cat more than any poster since I got hooked on this thing 10 years or so ago. But I loved every minute of debating him. He was an easy target.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:26 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:
Hawk Sista wrote:The Rams could've well won the NFC north, NFC east, AFC south and had a shot at the AFC north with a back up QB and rookies at RB & WR. Cards & niners would've for sure. It worked out this year that playing in the most solid division seems to have strengthened rather than weakened us.... But that is certainly not a foregone conclusion year in and year out.

You got my respect girl! Always have ;)

Thank you BOB!. :roll:

I really think BA has his redbirds pointed in a good direction. It is funny how 3 years ago, the Rams seemed like they had the best QB situation in the group with the potential in Bradford. I am not saying he is garbage and does not have potential, just that he is not the QB class of the Division.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby monkey » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:45 pm

HawkWow wrote: I assumed Pete drafted Michael for such duties while grooming him to replace Lynch. I sincerely hope he didn't think Harvin would handle those duties with regularity.

Wait...what??
Of course Pete wanted one of the games most electric kick returners returning kicks...why wouldn't he want that?
Harvin most certainly is expected to be the kick returner, and Pete most certainly traded for him with EXACTLY that in mind! I guarantee it. Why wouldn't you want that???

As for Christine Michaels, he can barely block, and is not exactly known for his hands. He's never been a kick returner, and there is no reason to assume he'd be any good at it...
There was a reason we drafted him in spite of his being a career backup in college, but it wasn't for kick return duties. It was with the hope that someday, with patience and coaching, maybe, just maybe Christine would learn how to do all those little things like block, that he doesn't seem to care about, and never did in college.
Christine Michaels may be the most talented running back on the roster right now, he really might, he's an incredible pure runner, but running backs have to do so much more than just that, and to this point in his career, including college, he's never really been eager to learn. That's why he was a backup in college despite being the CLEARLY superior runner.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:20 pm

MIcheal may be a bad blocker and mediocre reciever. Oh well we had a guy named Shawn Alexander that had the same rap and he wound up doing some special things. Frankly I havent seen a guy with a burst like Micheal in a Hawks uni in quite a while. He will be big time someday, mark my words.

Bruce Arians should be NFL coach of the year for what he did in Zona. Palmer is a washed up hack and they still were on the cusp of the postseason.

IMO Harbaugh was blessed with an extrordinary amount of talent and draft picks coming in the door. He'll start on the road this year against a very deadly opponent, we will see if his running back, er quarterback can hold it together. We will also see if Hairball has a sideline implosion. Bet on it..One and done.

I lost a lot of respect for Fisher after that debacle on Sunday. Thats the kind of embarrasing performance that can leave a hangover.

As far as building quickly from scratch Seattle is the class of the division.Only 4 players remain from Moras team.They have whiffed on the reciever corps, Just like Holmgren and Ruskell before them, but with Wilson spreading the ball around it has been manageable. We will learn a lot in the next few weeks. If Caroll has a weakness it is game management in critical situations. If he can avoid hormonal moments Seattle should be representing in NY in February
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Hawktawk wrote: He will be big time someday, mark my words.

Bruce Arians should be NFL coach of the year for what he did in Zona. Palmer is a washed up hack and they still were on the cusp of the postseason.

IMO Harbaugh was blessed with an extrordinary amount of talent and draft picks coming in the door. He'll start on the road this year against a very deadly opponent, we will see if his running back, er quarterback can hold it together. We will also see if Hairball has a sideline implosion. Bet on it..One and done.

First, I said the same thing once, exactly the same thing regarding Christine Michaels. If he LEARNS to do the little things, then we will be right, if not...well then we'll have egg on our faces. For the moment though, he is NOT going to be returning kicks, and shouldn't be.

Arians did do a heckuva job, but don't forget that, Arizona's defense last year was awesome as well. So he too inherited a ton of talent. No, he doesn't have a good QB to work with, but he has a top three defense for sure! Any coach would look pretty good coming into that situation. I think Zona (and St. Louis as well) is very underrated, and has been all season long. Seattle is just in a BRUTAL division, easily the best division in football by far.
As for betting on San Fran being one and done....boy would I LOVE if that would happen!
Actually, if there is one absolute LOCK in this weekends games, I think it is that San Francisco will PUMMEL the Packers.
Green Bay is anything but a good team. Even with Rodgers back, they are far from a good team. That defense is atrocious!!! They cannot stop anyone.

If I were going to bet, (and I don't) that would be the game I'd bet on, San Fran is just a MUCH better overall team. The Packers will need a lot of luck if they want to get a win, even at home.

Still I'll be hoping like crazy that you are right though! I'd love nothing more than to see the Niners knocked off. Plus it makes our road through the playoffs so much easier! If we get to play the Packers in Seattle, I'll die of happiness, because we'll flipping KILL the Packers! That's one matchup I'd love to have....unfortunately I think the matchup will be the Niners, if not first, then the second game.
One way or another, I think the NFC will be decided by a Seahawks Niners game.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:01 pm

monkey wrote:
HawkWow wrote: I assumed Pete drafted Michael for such duties while grooming him to replace Lynch. I sincerely hope he didn't think Harvin would handle those duties with regularity.

Wait...what??
Of course Pete wanted one of the games most electric kick returners returning kicks...why wouldn't he want that?
Harvin most certainly is expected to be the kick returner, and Pete most certainly traded for him with EXACTLY that in mind! I guarantee it. Why wouldn't you want that???

As for Christine Michaels, he can barely block, and is not exactly known for his hands. He's never been a kick returner, and there is no reason to assume he'd be any good at it...
There was a reason we drafted him in spite of his being a career backup in college, but it wasn't for kick return duties. It was with the hope that someday, with patience and coaching, maybe, just maybe Christine would learn how to do all those little things like block, that he doesn't seem to care about, and never did in college.
Christine Michaels may be the most talented running back on the roster right now, he really might, he's an incredible pure runner, but running backs have to do so much more than just that, and to this point in his career, including college, he's never really been eager to learn. That's why he was a backup in college despite being the CLEARLY superior runner.

Pete has said he had / has no intention of using Harvin full time on return duties. So there's that. "Michael never returned kicks before" and so you are certain Pete had no designs of using him in such a capacity. Hmm, ever hear of Jermaine Kearse? How about Robert Turbin?? They had never returned kicks before either. Returning kicks is not exactly rocket science. The rest of your post is too speculative to counter. Happy new year, just the same.
Last edited by HawkWow on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Anything can happen in the playoffs - we should know that better than most. Just as the Hawks beat the Saints in 2010 and lost to the Cards (@ HOME w/ the Division there for the taking) in 2013......anybody can win on a Sunday. It could be as simple as one team being on fire, or missing opportunities, or the ball bouncing a certain way (or D-jack gets an OPI, Lock gets pinched for holding, etc ;-)). Tis why we watch the game. The way too used expressions "any given Sunday" and "it's a game of inches" became expressions for a reason.

I expect that the teams with the worst defenses in the playoffs (Philly and Green Bay) will lose. While the weather may help Philly slow down the Saints, I really think it'll help SF. GB cannot stop anyone and the weather will likely force this game out of the air and onto the ground. If that is the case, I like the Niner D vs. Eddie over the Packer D vs. Frankie. But then again, who the hell knows? It would be great to have an all NFC West NFCCG. Should be fun.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby monkey » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:17 pm

HawkWow wrote:
monkey wrote:

Wait...what??

Pete has said he had / has no intention of using Harvin full time on return duties. So there's that. "Michael never returned kicks before" and so you are certain Pete had no designs of using him in such a capacity. Hmm, ever hear of Jermaine Kearse? How about Robert Turbin?? They had never returned kicks before either. Returning kicks is not exactly rocket science. The rest of your post is too speculative to counter. Happy new year, just the same.

I've never seen that, if you could provide a link? What was the context for that statement? Was he talking about in one single game (the Vikings game) because of his surgery recovery, or was that a blanket sstatement about Harvin and kick return duties?

I ask because by now I think everyone has seen where Pete said that he wants Harvin to be his return guy.
He's said it multiple times in multiple interviews actually, and he's also said that HArvin's return abilities are a part of why they wanted him so badly in the first place.

I've never heard Pete say or even hint at anything otherwise....

As for the rest being speculative, I suppose scouting reports are sort of, inherently speculative...
Last edited by monkey on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:21 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Anything can happen in the playoffs - we should know that better than most. Just as the Hawks beat the Saints in 2010 and lost to the Cards (@ HOME w/ the Division there for the taking) in 2013......anybody can win on a Sunday. It could be as simple as one team being on fire, or missing opportunities, or the ball bouncing a certain way (or D-jack gets an OPI, Lock gets pinched for holding, etc ;-)). Tis why we watch the game. The way too used expressions "any given Sunday" and "it's a game of inches" became expressions for a reason.

I expect that the teams with the worst defenses in the playoffs (Philly and Green Bay) will lose. While the weather may help Philly slow down the Saints, I really think it'll help SF. GB cannot stop anyone and the weather will likely force this game out of the air and onto the ground. If that is the case, I like the Niner D vs. Eddie over the Packer D vs. Frankie. But then again, who the hell knows? It would be great to have an all NFC West NFCCG. Should be fun.

I totally agree with you on everything other than the Saints knocking off Philly. I do share your thought process on why the Saints should win...but they are going to have to win a road playoff game (they never have) before I would *risk a dime betting they will advance in 2014. I think SF by 8 and Philly by 7. But chances of me picking both correctly, our like 1 in a million.

*If anyone is betting these games, don't worry too much about the spread. The winning team in the playoffs typically cover about 75% of the time. So with that, just pick the team you believe will win, don't dwell too much on the line.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Monkey. Not looking for an argument, bro. I don't have a link but I did read or hear this. If "everyone" has seen Pete say Harvin will be the full time return guy, that should be a very easy link for you to provide. I will retract my statement if and when you do. The reason I recall Pete saying he did not plan on using Harvin full time, is because I recall immediately thinking...well, who the hell are we going to use if not Harvin? That made me think Michael, which would make the most sense, if for no other reason, we don't have anyone else that we can spare.

I've read countless reports on Michael as well. The biggest things that jumped out for me was "sometimes poor attitude" and "tends to fumble". So if we add those two UGLY comments about him, to the items you list, the bigger question here would be just why the hell did we use our first pick in this past draft on him?

I believe Michael was expected to see MUCH more playing time than he has and believe there may be an attitude issue that has prevented this. Ironic that we've seen little of him since the RRR where he starts rapping like an imbecile about smoking pot. We didn't see much of MRob after that either and to my knowledge, the RRR. Now I'm not saying that is the reason behind Michael being MIA, but it may have contributed. Regardless, as of now, I am calling it a stupid pick. RBs are cheap these days and I find it hard to believe Pete used our 1st pick on a guy that he planned on using "some time, some day". And if he did, keep him out of the war room this next draft. We shoulda' taken a lineman, especially coming of Turbin's rather productive rookie campaign. Just my opinion.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:20 pm

What in the name of sense is the RRR? and where have I been? M-Rob was in trouble - do tell as I have zero idea what this means.

I think the Saints are the better team and I think they will come to play - the Philly D made Orton and Dallas look good last weekend. If they get the weather the predict - that could well be the game changer the Eagles need. I am sorry, but Skipper or Chippy or whatever the chubby frat boy coach is named makes me gag.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum