A fork in the road

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

A fork in the road

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:21 am

I can't remember a Seahawks regular season game with two such differing paths dependent on the final result. The first path is that we win. We will have a well deserved first round bye, guys like Okung can use the extra time to get healed up, and all we will have to win will be two home games and we're in. I would give ourselves a 80+ percent chance of going to the Super Bowl if we win this game. The World Champion Seattle Seahawks! Nice ring to it, huh?

But if we lose, and assuming that the Niners beat the Cards, we will drop all the way to the 5th seed and in all probability be forced to win 3 consecutive road games against playoff quality teams in order to advance to the SB. I'd give us about a 10% chance of making it to the SB if we slide to the 5th seed. In addition, if we lose this game, we will have lost 3 of our last 4, including the last two home games, the last of which would be to a last place team, and if we were to be one and done in the playoffs, we'd complete a historic el foldo having fallen from the consensus best team in the league.

Comments?
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: A fork in the road

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:33 am

Plain and simple. We have to win. Win and we are in.
Lose and the odds go way down that we get to the Big Dance.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:52 am

C'mon Seattle........
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:18 am

A fork in the road not safe to eat with.

Besides, this is no fork, that implies two choices. We have only one choice, there is only one road ... losing this game would be driving off the road and into the ditch. That's not a choice.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:11 am

The consequences of losing are too awful for me to even contemplate. I've already projected out the possible playoff dates and times we would play with a #1 seed and taken vacation days accordingly to make sure I don't miss a game due to work. If we lose and the Niners win, I'm canceling them. I'd be so upset that I probably won't even watch the first round game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:52 pm

This season has been super fun so far & I see no reason to believe that the Seahawks train is going to derail. There's a reason we are in the drivers seat. We are a super bowl caliber team. I simply don't think the El foldo scenario is plausible. Not with the heart that this team has.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:This season has been super fun so far & I see no reason to believe that the Seahawks train is going to derail. There's a reason we are in the drivers seat. We are a super bowl caliber team. I simply don't think the El foldo scenario is plausible. Not with the heart that this team has.

I sure hope you're right. That Cards game shook my confidence to the bone. It brought back all those bad memories of failed Seahawk seasons of years past. It's almost as if there's some football God somewhere that's preventing us from taking that final step, football's version of the Curse of the Bambino. The Cards game was like a visit from the Ghost of Christmas Future.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:05 pm

If our defense wasn't playing up to snuff I might be a little more worried. But the fact is that this team, this game tomorrow is the beginning of the run to the Lombardi Trophy for us. The Rams have always played the Seahawks tough and the game will not be a walk in the park but we will win and get the number one seed.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:09 pm

I think your percentages are spot on, RD. Especially considering the current nature of those teams that would host us, should we be forced to go road.

I am concerned enough about hosting Carolina, going to their house would be just too spooky and the perfect scenario for them. They lose their 1st game of the season to us, then end ours. Gulp.

But it ain't gonna' happen. I promise. I was VERY concerned about the Cards last week and I fear the Rams D more so than Zona's...but Clemens, who is not all that bad, is going to fold @ the CLink and I give us a 90% chance of pulling off a hard fought win. And as you stated, that week of rest will be huge for us and we won't face another defense any tougher than the one we face tomorrow. My biggest concern is will I sleep tonight?
23-13 Hawks.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:18 pm

I agree River, its victory or death IMHO as well. We should beat the Rams and we probably will.

obi
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:51 pm

HawkWow wrote:I think your percentages are spot on, RD. Especially considering the current nature of those teams that would host us, should we be forced to go road.

I am concerned enough about hosting Carolina, going to their house would be just too spooky and the perfect scenario for them. They lose their 1st game of the season to us, then end ours. Gulp.

But it ain't gonna' happen. I promise. I was VERY concerned about the Cards last week and I fear the Rams D more so than Zona's...but Clemens, who is not all that bad, is going to fold @ the CLink and I give us a 90% chance of pulling off a hard fought win. And as you stated, that week of rest will be huge for us and we won't face another defense any tougher than the one we face tomorrow. My biggest concern is will I sleep tonight?
23-13 Hawks.

I sure hope you are right. But I'm still damn nervous about which team will show up, the one that showed up against the Saints or the one that showed up against the Cards?

I disagree with your statement about the Rams defense. IMO the Niners and Panthers D are every bit as tough as the Rams, not to mention the fact that it will be playoff time, where the intensity level rises. The Rams are not even in the hunt, and could fold like a KMart lawn chair if we score early.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:39 pm

I agree that in the short term it would be a disaster to lose tomorrow. I'll be sick if it happens, like I was sitting in the Clink last Sunday going OMG!

But I will play devils advocate.#1 if they go 0-2 to finish the season at the Clink HFA isnt worth a damn anyway. This is a mentally tough team that went 6-2 on the road this year, and they will be playing someone like the Bears, banged up Packers, Eagles, or Cowboys with Kyle Orton next weekend.Then its Panthers or 9ers, tough but far from impossible.
IMO the weight of expectations has put a bullseye on their chest and a 500 pound gorilla on their backs, which is why they have had such a hard time cashing the check 2 of the last 3 games. It might be surprising to see the results if they can step on the field and just play. Also, who is the last team to win it all with losses in 3 of their last 4 games and playing wild card weekend? UMMM Ravens 2012. The 2009 Saints lost their last 3 games of the regular season. The Giants won it in 2011 as a 9-7 team playing all the way on the road.

So until someone shoots a silver bullet in the heart of the big blue Hawk and it lays motionless on the field Im not counting them out no matter what happens tomorrow. But I hope we dont have to find out...
GO HAWKS RACK UP THE LAMBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:09 pm

RiverDog wrote:
HawkWow wrote:I think your percentages are spot on, RD. Especially considering the current nature of those teams that would host us, should we be forced to go road.

23-13 Hawks.

I sure hope you are right. But I'm still damn nervous about which team will show up, the one that showed up against the Saints or the one that showed up against the Cards?

I disagree with your statement about the Rams defense. IMO the Niners and Panthers D are every bit as tough as the Rams, not to mention the fact that it will be playoff time, where the intensity level rises. The Rams are not even in the hunt, and could fold like a KMart lawn chair if we score early.

Our offense against their defense, I see the Rams, man for man, as our worst possible match-up in the entire league. The Rams have built their D, through both the draft and FA, with one intention: Beat the Hawks / 49ers. They have superstars at every level, corners good enough to effectively play man, LBs that can stop the run and an interior D-line that create opportunity for the LBs, while the ends create havoc for Wilson / Kaep, disallowing them from getting to the edge.

On paper, the Panthers and 9ers may be better than the Rams (defensively) but we both know stats can be misleading. The Panthers and 9ers both have offenses that can take pressure of their defenses. Now, I'm not saying the Rams are better than either, but I don't fear either anymore than I do the Rams. Mark my words (which don't mean a lot), RD, if we don't start making better draft day decisions, the NFCW will belong to the Rams before we know it.

As far as the Rams being out of the hunt, it depends on how you look at it. Tomorrow is no less important to their franchise than it is to ours. They have the #2 pick sewed up and are playing for pride. With it being their last game of the season, and lots of rest ahead, you can believe they would love nothing more than to make a statement against the probable NFC champs. taking such a win into the off-season instills confidence in players, coaches and owner and it won't hurt when FA rolls around, either. We will have to agree to disagree on the subject...cuz their D scares the heck outta' me.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:14 pm

As far as the Rams being out of the hunt, it depends on how you look at it. Tomorrow is no less important to their franchise than it is to ours. They have the #2 pick sewed up and are playing for pride. With it being their last game of the season, and lots of rest ahead, you can believe they would love nothing more than to make a statement against the probable NFC champs. taking such a win into the off-season instills confidence in players, coaches and owner and it won't hurt when FA rolls around, either. We will have to agree to disagree on the subject...cuz their D scares the heck outta' me.

It's hard to tell how the Rams will handle tomorrow's game. They could go all out for 60 minutes, play inspired football as if there is no tomorrow, and maintain their focus the entire game. You're exactly right, we do not match up against them, especially our offense vs. their defense. Or they could go through the motions and be thinking about the offseason by the time the third quarter rolls around. I've seen both happen. Last season, they were out of the hunt and played us tight the entire game. But that was last year.

But if you gave me a choice of facing either a team that was not in the hunt like the Rams, or a team that is very much alive, like the Cards were last weekend, I'll take the team that's out of the hunt every day of the week. If we can put up a couple of scores in the first quarter, then my guess is that they'll mail it in the rest of the game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:34 pm

No question. And if at any point I suggested I'd rather play a live team, than a dead team, my wording must have been poor. My only point being that the Rams are loaded defensively and I don't think it coincidence that they match up so well against us.

With that, it's difficult for me to decide which out-of-division team hurt us more this year...The Redskins or the Vikings (?).
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I agree that in the short term it would be a disaster to lose tomorrow. I'll be sick if it happens, like I was sitting in the Clink last Sunday going OMG!

But I will play devils advocate.#1 if they go 0-2 to finish the season at the Clink HFA isnt worth a damn anyway. This is a mentally tough team that went 6-2 on the road this year, and they will be playing someone like the Bears, banged up Packers, Eagles, or Cowboys with Kyle Orton next weekend.Then its Panthers or 9ers, tough but far from impossible.
IMO the weight of expectations has put a bullseye on their chest and a 500 pound gorilla on their backs, which is why they have had such a hard time cashing the check 2 of the last 3 games. It might be surprising to see the results if they can step on the field and just play. Also, who is the last team to win it all with losses in 3 of their last 4 games and playing wild card weekend? UMMM Ravens 2012. The 2009 Saints lost their last 3 games of the regular season. The Giants won it in 2011 as a 9-7 team playing all the way on the road.

So until someone shoots a silver bullet in the heart of the big blue Hawk and it lays motionless on the field Im not counting them out no matter what happens tomorrow. But I hope we dont have to find out...

Very well put, Hawktawk. It ain't over till it's over. And we are good enough to overcome the rough road if that is what it will be.

It is unfortunate and somewhat of a lack of focus (for a team to have the weekly philosophy of 1 and 0) to not have sewn that #1 seed up before the last game. It was all set up.

Well all that said, I still EXPECT the win tomorrow. And as long as we are in the dance, we will be the major player to be feared.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:19 am

Hawktawk wrote:I agree that in the short term it would be a disaster to lose tomorrow. I'll be sick if it happens, like I was sitting in the Clink last Sunday going OMG!

dude I absolutely love this post it epitomizes everything that I'm thinking about the seahawks team at this place in time. There's so much at play & so much at stake. This situation & others like it are the measuring stick of a champion.The comparisons you make are encouraging & will soothe the restless beast that my beating heart becomes leading up to kickoff. Thanks for the tonic for my seahawks soul.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:31 am

Seahawks, 31-17.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:28 am

I'm not sure it's a fork in the road or a possible detour.
This team is going to be tough to play against any team they face.
Winning is everything to most of these guys and I think they are up to the challenge
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:07 am

This is it for me. We win tomorrow, I'll be turning handsprings. We lose, I'll be jumping out of a 10 story window.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum