Offensively offensive....

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Offensively offensive....

Postby curmudgeon » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:15 pm

Cable and Bevell....the NFL has figured you out..... :?
curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: Offensively offensive....

Postby Distant Relative » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Bevell needs to go!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:52 pm

I am not a huge fan of the offensive play calling, but today it was not to bad it was just drops, and o-line issues mostly, mainly o-line issues at least in pass protection.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:14 pm

Well, we are taking this group of coaches in our biggest playoff run since the SB. Hopefully we can take care of business at home.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:45 pm

We need an explosive wide receiver. Any ideas where we might get one?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:26 pm

RiverDog wrote:We need an explosive wide receiver. Any ideas where we might get one?

I agree, maybe he will play, but either way next year we need to draft a big, fact WR, pass blockers for sure
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:34 pm

I get the WR argument - I've been saying as much for a while now - but, honestly, it has A LOT more to do with our OL, particularly on passing plays. It was a jail break in the 1st half, with RW having about .5 seconds to throw.

In the 2nd half when the pocket was better, Wilson was fine when he had time. Bevell also Finally mixed in some short passing plays over the middle. IMO, it's OL 1st pick next April, and then WR regardless of how PH is next season. We may even see several offensive linemen drafted, who knows.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Zorn76 wrote:I get the WR argument - I've been saying as much for a while now - but, honestly, it has A LOT more to do with our OL, particularly on passing plays. It was a jail break in the 1st half, with RW having about .5 seconds to throw.

In the 2nd half when the pocket was better, Wilson was fine when he had time. Bevell also Finally mixed in some short passing plays over the middle. IMO, it's OL 1st pick next April, and then WR regardless of how PH is next season. We may even see several offensive linemen drafted, who knows.

I agree with those priorities.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:42 pm

My gracious. Can Foles do anything wrong? I wanted him badly in the draft, though I thought he'd go in the 4th. Not saying I'm unhappy with Wilson, I love the guy, but Foles is starting to look like the steal of the century. It's ridiculous.

Eidt..back on topic: I was very encouraged by our ability to run the ball today against (arguably) a top 3 D. Certainly we need a WR that can instill fear, but if we can run, and go play action, that changes the dynamics of both our team and the oppositions as well. Burn some clock, get the lead, and great things happen for this Hawk team. Any word on the severity of Willson's referee induced injury? that could be a huge loss right there.
Last edited by HawkWow on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:44 pm

HawkWow wrote:My gracious. Can Foles do anything wrong? I wanted him badly in the draft, though I thought he'd go in the 4th. Not saying I'm unhappy with Wilson, I love the guy, but Foles is starting to look like the steal of the century. It's ridiculous.

He looks good, but lets remember he is playing in a system, and has a better o-line and WR then we do, you could also argue as good or better RB.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:44 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Zorn76 wrote:I get the WR argument - I've been saying as much for a while now - but, honestly, it has A LOT more to do with our OL, particularly on passing plays. It was a jail break in the 1st half, with RW having about .5 seconds to throw.

Gotta say, I'm also tempted by yet another pass rushing prospect high in the draft as well. But in the end, yeah, it's OL and WR, since the offense needs much more of an upgrade.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:45 pm

Zorn76 wrote:
RiverDog wrote:

Gotta say, I'm also tempted by yet another pass rushing prospect high in the draft as well. But in the end, yeah, it's OL and WR, since the offense needs much more of an upgrade.

Exactly we have our franchise QB now time to give him toys to play with, and people to protect him.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Anthony wrote:
HawkWow wrote:My gracious. Can Foles do anything wrong? I wanted him badly in the draft, though I thought he'd go in the 4th. Not saying I'm unhappy with Wilson, I love the guy, but Foles is starting to look like the steal of the century. It's ridiculous.

He looks good, but lets remember he is playing in a system, and has a better o-line and WR then we do, you could also argue as good or better RB.

No question...and I want a similar system. I also believe McCoy is better than Lynch. Don't get me wrong, Lynch is my favorite player and God in my eyes, but McCoy is fresher and runs like it. At the beginning of the year, at .Net, I said McCoy would outrush Peterson. That was met with "you should be laughed off this board". Who's laughing now, dipsh*ts? McCoy is a machine and the Eagles are loaded at the position. They are the next big thing, IMO.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:01 pm

curmudgeon wrote:Cable and Bevell....the NFL has figured you out..... :?

I don't know if I agree with this...I understand the sentiment but not the logic. The truth is, every coordinator has every other one pretty much "figured out", they all know each others tendencies, favorite plays, strengths, weaknesses etc..., because they all spend tons of hours watching film on each others games.
It's not like they are inventing plays no one has seen before, on the fly, and have suddenly run out of fresh ideas...the NFL doesn't work that way.
It's about EXECUTION!!!
When a play is properly executed, and is successful, we say it was a good call. When a play is poorly executed and unsuccessful, we say that the play call was bad, but is that really true?
No...the play may very well have been the PERFECT call for the situation, but if the execution isn't there, it doesn't matter that it was the most clever call in history.

I've never been a fan if Bevell, though probably for much different reasons than you guys would think. IMO he doesn't adjust his game plan quickly enough or sometimes even at all, because he's a believer that the plan will work if given time, and executed properly. Personally I think he becomes too attached to his plan, too unwilling to exploit the opposing teams weaknesses as they surface, in favor of sticking to his plan.
But that doesn't mean that opposing teams have necessarily "figured him out"...no more so than any other coordinator IMO.

I just think it's about lack of execution more than the play calling personally.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:05 pm

monkey wrote:

I don't know if I agree with this...I understand the sentiment but not the logic. The truth is, every coordinator has every other one pretty much "figured out", they all know each others tendencies, favorite plays, strengths, weaknesses etc..., because they all spend tons of hours watching film on each others games.
It's not like they are inventing plays no one has seen before, on the fly, and have suddenly run out of fresh ideas...the NFL doesn't work that way.
It's about EXECUTION!!!
When a play is properly executed, and is successful, we say it was a good call. When a play is poorly executed and unsuccessful, we say that the play call was bad, but is that really true?
No...the play may very well have been the PERFECT call for the situation, but if the execution isn't there, it doesn't matter that it was the most clever call in history.

I've never been a fan if Bevell, though probably for much different reasons than you guys would think. IMO he doesn't adjust his game plan quickly enough or sometimes even at all, because he's a believer that the plan will work if given time, and executed properly. Personally I think he becomes too attached to his plan, too unwilling to exploit the opposing teams weaknesses as they surface, in favor of sticking to his plan.
But that doesn't mean that opposing teams have necessarily "figured him out"...no more so than any other coordinator IMO.

I just think it's about lack of execution more than the play calling personally.

Well said, Monkey.

Again, when the OL can execute (block longer than 2 seconds) on passing plays, we seem to do well, lol.
Anyway, I hear what you're saying. Just glad we won today and have a legit shot at reaching NY!
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:18 pm

monkey wrote:

It's about EXECUTION!!!

I do not agree if your o-line cannot maintain a block for more than 2 seconds you run different plays, that sure your talent and ability, you adjust to what they are giving you and adjust your game plan and play calling something we did a little of today, but none of last week, Execution is only part of the story, calling the right play at the right time and adjusting are also part of the story. Play calling for us, has been a huge reason for our struggles, I just hope the OC builds off of today and gets back to what he did in the No game, or the home game against SF>
Last edited by Anthony on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:40 pm

I think you bring up some great points, Anthony...but what a thankless job OC is, more times than not. If the run's not working...and you depend on play-action (a lot) when do you abandon the run? And when you have a back like ML, you better get the win if you stop getting him the ball or you're deader than disco.

I'm neither pro or anti Bevell. I don't feel I have the football savvy, despite my many years around the game, to make such a determination. Is he good..is he bad? hell...he's coaching the best team on the planet, hired by the league's richest owner....but his offense sputters too frequently. Is it the line...is it CABLE? I'm just not confident enough with my own knowledge to second guess DB or those that employ him.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby PACHawk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Cann't complain too much...first in NFC is saying something. We can always find something to improve...offensive line, play calling, etc, but which team doesn't have warts? I'll take my Hawks any day!
PACHawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:30 am

monkey wrote:

It's about EXECUTION!!!

Monkey, welcome to the Shack! I see your points. Hard to say on that point. For sure Bevell does not adjust fast enough. The question is why? He'll tell us we're 13 and 3. So it worked!. Why adjust your game plan quickly when it has resulted in a 13-3 record? What Bevell's plan requires is speedy WR's on the outside Tate and Baldwin, and speedy guys on the inside. Luke Willson, maybe we'll see him back for the SB. Then you have old man Miller crossing for the 5-10 yard routes.

One thing I noticed today is that they had Willson do some crossing routes(That was him with the drop), and this will be the clincher, because the slow DB's will will not be able to keep up with speedy TE's in that scenario. We saw that maybe once in our loss to the Cardinals but it was with a WR instead. So I agree with you Monkey. The guy does not seem to be able to adjust fast enough.
Granted it has worked for us so far, however I think PC and Cable should look into this little situation and fix it as needed.

They are going to have to adjust faster. And yes, execution counts.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:37 am

It seems like most defenses around the league have figured out the read option. Gotta find some other method of exploiting Russell's strengths.

Our other notable running quarterback, Jim Zorn, used to run the sprint draw a lot. When they passed off it, he was able to get a good, deep drop, which is what Russell needs to get away from all those big bodies so he can survey the field. I'm not sure if that's a viable play in today's NFL or not.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum