NEW POLL - Topic Pruning or Removing of old Topics

A place to gather thoughts, ideas, etc. The 12th Man Think Tank.

How long should a topic exist?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:09 pm

10 days
No votes
20 days
No votes
30 days
44%
40 days
No votes
Never you Idiot! … or maybe a year.
56%

Total votes : 9

NEW POLL - Topic Pruning or Removing of old Topics

Postby ShackMod » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:09 pm

We have the ability to delete a topic at any moment. However, there is a way to remove a topic or "Prune" when a topic has not been commented on after a certain amount of days. We can also lock a topic so it won't be removed and only prune certain threads. We want to enable this functionality to save on system resources and to reduce clutter of the site. Please place your vote at your convenience. The vote will last 3 days.
ShackMod
Site Admin

Re: NEW POLL - Topic Pruning or Removing of old Topcs

Postby burrrton » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:14 pm

My opinion only:

If this forum tech allows it, or if you have DBA-type access to the backend, I'd only dump the images, or other things that take up space, and leave the text of the threads in place for a year or something.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like going back and finding old threads where prescient (or embarrassing!) predictions were made, see what everyone was saying about Player X, and so on.
burrrton
Legacy

Re: NEW POLL - Topic Pruning or Removing of old Topcs

Postby ShackMod » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:18 pm

burrrton wrote:My opinion only:

If this forum tech allows it, or if you have DBA-type access to the backend, I'd only dump the images, or other things that take up space, and leave the text of the threads in place for a year or something.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like going back and finding old threads where prescient (or embarrassing!) predictions were made, see what everyone was saying about Player X, and so on.

Good Point! I'll add an option of never... or a year or something. Thanks for the feedback!!
ShackMod
Site Admin

Re: NEW POLL - Topic Pruning or Removing of old Topics

Postby Anthony » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:27 pm

I voted 30 days but I think the real barometer should be days with no activity, if a thread or topic goes 3-5 days with no new activity delete it. If something started 30 days ago but there is still current activity it should stay on as it is generating activity.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:37 pm

I voted never/yr, but I did so under protest- I would never put "idiot" in there... :)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:38 pm

I'd say never if system resources weren't an issue. There have been many time I've wished I could go back and get some year old or older data I've compiled and was unable to after the upgrades (ahem) at the PI forum.

For instance back in 06 I did a very thorough compilation of stats of the top ten (at the time) running backs over the best three consecutive years of their careers to compare with Shaun's 03, 04 and 05 stats in response to many peoples assertions that Alexander was only good for one year. Norcal also did a sweet paper on Tubbs' lone healthy season that showed him worthy of the Pro Bowl or All Pro honors that year. I'll never see either of those compilations again (short of redoing the research again) ...

But if there is any sort of resource issue at all you make the call based on what's best for the site and I'm perfectly fine with it.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby yoder » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Poll should say 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, Never. I don't think "never" is a viable option, as long as I live this website will exist...and possibly after that (if my son wants to take over). Though in 30 years or so the internet will be an entire different world, if it even exists.

On second thought, it would be very cool for younger generations to come back and revisit our conversations from 10-20 years ago. Hypothetically, if a SuperSonics forum existed back in '78-'79 (I was only 3 at the time), I'd love to be able to go back in time and see peoples thoughts during one of the greatest sports moments in Seattle history. Right now, it feels like we're matching that level of excitement...if not exceeding it.

You guys put a lot of time and thought into your posts, it would be a shame to have them deleted forever.

Here's a better idea - The Hawk Shack Archives. After 6-12 months, we simply move them into a separate archive area. There are many ways to deal with storage issues, especially in this day and age.

For now, this baby is only two weeks old (literally). We'll give it a few months and see how it goes.

If the site gets bogged down for any reason, I'll do something about it.
yoder
Site Admin

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:07 pm

The Hawk Shack Archives

Brilliant!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:23 pm

For football Seahawk threads I do not mind keeping it for a year or more. I don't recommend forever for anything unless you can keep the servers located in another country. Even if its only football. I am a bit more sensitive to this type of stuff given what I have seen professionally and generally.

For O/T topics, i.e. Politics, you should remove after thread is inactive for 5 days. And delete the thread after 30 days.
People can be retaliated in the US for political speech unfortunately. (They are not supposed to but you read the news...)

Just my 2 cents.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:50 am

Naturally, whatever is decided if fine, but I do like the "Shack archive" idea quite a bit, Yoder.
Zorn76
Legacy

Return to Website Think Tank