RIP Mr. Spock

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

RIP Mr. Spock

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:38 am

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: RIP Mr. Spock

Postby burrrton » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:49 pm

A true icon for the ages in every sense of the word.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:52 pm

burrrton wrote:A true icon for the ages in every sense of the word.

Yep - He always seemed like such a fine human being who oozed trustworthiness. Probably would have been everyone's favorite person in the room.

He was also a great multifaceted entertainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aik18TiJjA8
savvyman
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Satch was a fan.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:09 pm

I grew up in the "Space Age.". As a grade schooled, my parents would wake me up in the early morning hours to watch Alan Shepard, John Glenn, et al, lift off into space. One fall, perhaps in 1966 or so, I saw that the new fall series releasees included a program called "Star Trek", and it immediately became must see TV for me. I watched every episode, and continued my allegiance through syndication in the 1970's and the more popular movie adaptations in the 80's and 90's.

Over the years, mostly in my work career but also a lot of personal situations, I have many times thought about Mr. Spock and how he would have handled himself in various situations that presented themselves to me, and I adapted many parts of his cold hearted, logical mentality. In many situations, I found it a useful philosophy to employ in a number of problem solving matters.

I was very sadden to learn of Leonard Nimoy's passing. It's just one more thing stolen from my childhood past that has left in its wake nothing more than a memory. I am discovering the pain that my mother felt during her final years, ie the pain of having to witness the departure of everything in your life that you once held close to your heart. Life sucks.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:17 am

RiverDog wrote:
I was very sadden to learn of Leonard Nimoy's passing. It's just one more thing stolen from my childhood past that has left in its wake nothing more than a memory. I am discovering the pain that my mother felt during her final years, ie the pain of having to witness the departure of everything in your life that you once held close to your heart. Life sucks.

RD - It hit me a few years ago after the passing of someone close to me. Whenever anyone who had an impact on our lives dies - a little bit of us dies along with them. The greater the impact the person had on our lives - the more of a part of us passes away along with each of them.

Now that I am older have have more life experiences I understand and come to accept more the basic Buddhism teaching of "All life is inter-connected".
savvyman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:33 pm

savvyman wrote:[RD - It hit me a few years ago after the passing of someone close to me. Whenever anyone who had an impact on our lives dies - a little bit of us dies along with them. The greater the impact the person had on our lives - the more of a part of us passes away along with each of them.

That's one of the problems of living a long life. My mother died this past summer at the age of 88. She had to bear witness to her husband dying of a year long terminal disease as well as out living all of her brothers and sisters, the icon of her generation (Joe DiMaggio), favorite entertainers like Johnny Carson, and almost all of her friends, then when she dies, there's not many left to come to her funeral.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:25 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:[

Satch was a fan.

So surprisingly was Burt Reynolds who played such different roles throughout his career than Leonard Nimoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM1q1MhWVQ8

Always enjoyed Burt - especially in his later roles such as in movies "Boogie Nights" and "Mystery Alaska":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a80x06Wn91U
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sat May 02, 2015 3:02 pm

RD; I know just how you feel. I go by places that I have not seen in years and nothing looks the same. My old grade school still stands, but is an eyesore waiting to be demolished.

Several years ago I learned these two new employees had tagged everyone with "fun" nick names. I didn't think mine was funny, at first. They called me Mr. Spock. They said it was because I was always so "logical". Well, when they put it that way I wore it like a badge of honor. Quite frankly, I had not noticed it in myself.

RIP Mr. Nimory
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Return to Off Topic