Seahawk Blue closed.

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Seahawk Blue closed.

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:22 am

Wow.

Seahawkblue is closed. This site will no longer promote an organization who treats their fans like crap. #12 has always been there for the Seahawks organization, and they repay us by being the first organization to jump on this "dynamic" ticket crap. And people just go on with their lives and accept this? Well, I'm not. Greed is a very ugly situation that will eventually cost you. And today... it did.

--TC
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Seahawk Blue closed.

Postby RiverDog » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:36 am

Closing a popular fan forum because of dynamic ticket pricing? Holy Cow, I knew that TC character was a neurotic, but I never imagined he'd jump out a window over something as silly as a policy decision. How can a person call themselves a fan if they disown their team over ticket prices? I'm no less disgruntled about the cost of game tickets than anyone else, but it is not limited to the Seahawks and you can bet your bottom dollar that every team in the league will quickly follow suit. And just who does he think he's hurting? Does Paul Allen post at The Blue? The place was more of a club than it was a forum, but it provided a good venue for a lot of great Seahawk fans. Perhaps some of them will wander into here.

BTW, this policy was announced 6 weeks ago.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/seahawk ... icy/nmn5w/

IMO this thread belongs in the main forum as it is most definitely directly related to Seahawk football.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby ibis ti-mojo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:31 am

That's a shame.
Some good people over there. :|

Howdy doody HawkShack.
ibis ti-mojo
Legacy

Postby slidejob » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:25 pm

For real? That doesn't make any sense... WTH
slidejob
Legacy

Postby yoder » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:22 pm

Sad to see a staple of the #12 Man Community go down. I respect the reasons, yet it does leave quite a few out in the cold.

With that said, Welcome to The Shack! I know it seems like a tight knit community, but please don't hesitate to introduce yourself and join in on the conversations. The fire is warm (if not hot) and we'll keep the light on for ya!
yoder
Site Admin

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Wow, that's a bit off a shock, Hell more than a bit. The dynamic pricing sucked, but there were other ways, Personally spent 20 + hours to ensure my son got tickets to first game at the Clink, and my family could take in the Zona SNF game as a group. As much as the long hrs in the blazing sun sucked, along with NO bathrooms made available for the fans there until,Monday, as well as how poorly it was run, rules enforced etc. I can't imagine bailing on a team because I signed up to wait for season tickets and was offered extra tickets that I didn't have to wait in 95+ degree weather for hours upon hours. If they didn't like the costs, options were available.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:53 am

I can't believe that TC guy shut down the Blue over this dynamic ticket pricing. It simply doesn't make sense. First of all, who is he really hurting? Secondly, this policy was announced 6 weeks ago, on June 29th. Thirdly, dynamic ticket pricing might be new to the NFL, but other leagues have been using it for several years. The Mariners charge more for the Red Sox and Yankees than they do other games. And it's been used in other markets, like hotels and airlines, for decades. I'm surprised that it took the NFL this long to catch up. If you really want to get pizzed off over prices, there's other areas where they get you with outrageous price gouging, like concessions and parking. It's a privately owned business, and the team and the league are simply reacting to increased demand. Life's not fair, get used to it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:12 pm

Over-reaction - While the site owner thinks he is hurting the Seahawks organization with this action - he is Not -- Instead he is only hurting the forum users and lurkers.

Bet the site is back up within 10 days.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:06 pm

Never posted there, but if he thinks this is some kind of 'statement', he's a fool.

The pricing bullshit will sort itself out - throwing a tantrum over it helps nothing but makes you look like a child.

Oh well. Bye, Blue. Hardly knew ya.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:29 am

burrrton wrote:Never posted there, but if he thinks this is some kind of 'statement', he's a fool.

The pricing bullshit will sort itself out - throwing a tantrum over it helps nothing but makes you look like a child.

Oh well. Bye, Blue. Hardly knew ya.

TC is is a fool and subject to throwing childish temper tantrums, so it shouldn't surprise me that he finally jumped out of a window. I used to post over there for years, and my style there was no different than it is in here, no name calling (even though I was subjected to a lot of name calling, told by one poster to STFU), complied with all their rules, yet he banned me without so much as a PM or any kind of advance warning, a sucker punch. He didn't like my take on Percy Harvin, wanted to purge his little club of anyone he perceived as being negative, so he banned me. Ironic thing was that I was exactly right on the issue he booted me over. He has the little cop syndrome, someone that never had any authority all their lives, suddenly acquires some, then goes on a power trip.

Savvy could be right. It could be back up in a couple of days. Shutting it down over something as silly as dynamic ticket pricing, a decision that was announced 6 weeks ago, is absurd. There has to be another reason.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Ironfist » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:33 am

I lurked over there quite a bit, posted once in a blue moon. Since I moved to California, it was kind of my link to follow news. Before that I was at the PI...I joined here when PI closed, but haven't been here much. Guess I will be here more often now.
Ironfist
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:48 pm

Feel bad for some of them I suppose but I stopped posting over there when they banned River, which was absurd.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:45 pm

kalibane wrote:Feel bad for some of them I suppose but I stopped posting over there when they banned River, which was absurd.

Thanks, Kal. I'm glad you felt that way. Up until now, I never complained about it in the other forums I post in as I didn't want to sound like a cry baby or invite a debate about my posting style, but now that it's closed, I don't feel so bad talking about it. A couple other posters PM'ed me expressing an opinion similar to yours.
Last edited by RiverDog on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:58 pm

kalibane wrote:Feel bad for some of them I suppose but I stopped posting over there when they banned River, which was absurd.

The Bounced Riverdog from the Site? Lol

What did he do that was so bad to get bounced? Question a play call by Darrell Bevel? Or a dive by Shaun Alexander?

About the only thing that anyone should ever be bounced from any board is if a person is threatening another poster - other than that it should be a free reign of speech and commentary - - after all this is America.......
savvyman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:34 pm

savvyman wrote:The Bounced Riverdog from the Site? Lol

What did he do that was so bad to get bounced? Question a play call by Darrell Bevel? Or a dive by Shaun Alexander?

About the only thing that anyone should ever be bounced from any board is if a person is threatening another poster - other than that it should be a free reign of speech and commentary - - after all this is America.......

I was never given an explanation as there was no PM sent to me prior to or afterwards. The only thing TC mentioned was that I was being too negative and he was going to clean up the site, said I was the first of several to be banned. It occured during the time Percy Harvin was returning from his hip surgery and I was questioning his motivation for staying out and how he magically got healed when we were about to put him on IR that would have shut him down for the rest of the season and deprive him of his chance to play in a SB. I wasn't real popular as I was about the only one that didn't like Harvin at that time, but I never got into a name calling contest or used any profane words even though I was subjected to both. It was IMO very unfair, but it was his little club and his right as the adminstrator to ban anyone he doesn't like.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge, and the fact that I was eventually proven right about Harvin has given me a sense of redemption.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:57 am

Believe it or not I stood up for you over there when that happened, almost quit the place over it. TC didn't have any checks and balances over there, just did what he wanted, including getting butt hurt and closing shop.

It's back up now, supposedly under new management (Doc, evidently TC's partner when the site was born). TC said something about being overwhelmed by technical difficulties (that Doc says he can fix) while making no mention of the dynamic ticket pricing rant he used as his reason when he shut down. Some of the responses are funny:

Quote Originally Posted by Yo Dog View Post

Let me see if I can remember what I saw when I logged in a few days ago.

"I'm a little bit butthurt over the SEAHAWKS being greedy, so all you 12's who have called this place home for the better part of a decade can go **** yourselves because The Blue is gone forever. Bye bye now."

And the site was gone.

That's what I recall, or am I mistaken?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:58 am

savvyman wrote:

The Bounced Riverdog from the Site? Lol

The explanation given on the board was that River was too negative and the forum wasn't a place where they wanted "negative/anti-Seahawk posts". Basically what Riv said, they didn't like that he was being very critical of Percy Harvin and banned him over it. Which as he said is hilarious in retrospect.

If you don't want to have actual discussion with different points of view, why are you even in the message board business?

Thanks, Kal. I'm glad you felt that way. Up until now, I never complained about it in the other forums I post in as I didn't want to sound like a cry baby or invite a debate about my posting style, but now that it's closed, I don't feel so bad talking about it. A couple other posters PM'ed me expressing an opinion similar to yours.

No thanks necessary Riv, but you're welcome. There are a lot of people who I've disagreed vehemently on stuff over the years, a couple people I think are flat out stupid. But unless you're veering off topic to aggressively attack someone on a personal level, I'm completely against censoring alternate points of view.

Besides you were probably the last person I'd expect to be justifiably banned from a message board (this side of Hawksista) so my days were numbered anyway. lol
kalibane
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:26 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Believe it or not I stood up for you over there when that happened, almost quit the place over it. TC didn't have any checks and balances over there, just did what he wanted, including getting butt hurt and closing shop.

Thanks, Cbob. I wish you guys would have told me that when it happened. As you might expect, I was very pizzed off when it happened and could have used a word of encouragement, especially from posters I hold in such high regard as yourself and Kal. :)

I'm glad it is back up and running. I know it was home for a lot of good Seahawk fans.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:49 pm

Yep - I see they are back - as I said they would be - which was admittedly fairly easy to predict......
savvyman
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:25 pm

This time it looks like it's permanent.

RIP TC.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:34 pm

What? TC passed away? I haven't been there for a while, but he was a good guy like Yoder. Kept up the forum for no payment from the fans. Damn.

R.I.P. TC. He gave a lot of good years maintaining a place for Seahawk fans to chat.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:57 am

Jeez, not even 60 years old. My dad died two days before his 60th birthday, and it hit me like a rock. My condolences to the family.

As far as the Blue closing down, these online forums have been decreasing in popularity for some time now, so it may not have lasted much longer anyway. Our little group here has lost a lot of regular posters over the past few years and we're down to just a handful of us that post regularly. The other forum I frequent has suffered a similar decline in participation, and the theory is that more and more people are turning to social media like Facebook and Twitter. I don't care for those venues at all as there's too many casual fans, cheerleader type that dilute a good discussion as they don't have even a basic understanding of the game like those of us in here do.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:50 am

The other forum I frequent has suffered a similar decline in participation

Let me know when it's not such a madhouse, I stay away because it's way too big and full of snipers.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:05 am

Reading this thread I realized it's been a while since Yoder and Mak have asked anything of us so I looked up the link and dropped a duckett in the bucket. I'd hate to see this one go away ...

http://www.hawkshack.com/store/
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:32 am

RiverDog wrote:The other forum I frequent has suffered a similar decline in participation

c_hawkbob wrote:Let me know when it's not such a madhouse, I stay away because it's way too big and full of snipers.

I hear ya about it being so big. It was, and is, one of the main reasons why I limited my participation. There was so many commenting that I'd make a post and instantly there'd be 5-6 others that buried mine. I got the idea that no one was reading my musings. But as I said, there's not near the traffic that there was even a few years ago, plus they added a like feature so I could see that at least one or two were reading what I was writing. Since the pandemic ended, there's not a lot of sniping as there was before. There were a couple anti vaxxers/conspiracy theorists that would derail any conversation that inevitably involved Covid.

But I'm really hit or miss over there as I haven't developed the same bonds with them that I have with this group of crazies.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby yoder » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:41 pm

Hey Folks,

Yes, I'm alive and still here. I sincerely apologize for not being as attentive as a Mod. I was at a family reunion for a week and somehow managed to break two ribs (I'll spare the story). Number one rule I've learned, don't sneeze.

Also, Mak is caught up with kids/life/work, so we're running a one man show.

Anyway, I'm truly sad for the loss of Troy and Blue, their family and community...it was a staple. He was a TRUE fan and built a community. I'm expecting that more traffic will arrive to the Shack and I'm trying to decide what to do about it. As a few have said, a forum that has too much traffic ends up with your posts getting lost, spam gets out of control, arguments, etc.

Right now it feels like we're pretty cool. It's a family here and I want it to stay that way. New memberships were turned off 6 months ago as 99% of them were from bots (especially from Russia). I could open the doors again, but wonder if would be a Pandora's Box. Please give me you input.

For the site running slow, our database is getting clogged. I've been working on the issue, I'll get her back to standards, though we might need an upgrade.

Finally, thanks to Bob for the donation, it's very much appreciated, but not necessary, yet a kick in the ass...as in "What the hell Yoder, get moving" Also thank you to everyone that has helped me in the past. It was a lot to take on at first when we switched over from the Seattle P.I. I simply didn't want to the the community go away. I didn't quite know what I was getting into. With that said, I'm more than happy to host this place without any donations needed, unless things get out of control again and it becomes a full time job. My gut tells me that nobody wants it that way.

Again, send me your thoughts and I promise to be a better mod.

Sincerely,

Yoder
yoder
Site Admin

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:40 pm

Hey, Yoder! It's always good to see the Godfather of this place poke his head in here.

Especially in light of the Blue going down, it's too bad that you had to lock out new members, but I understand why. Is there anything we can do to help, ie is there some type of software that could be acquired that would screen out the bots? I'd be more than happy to chip in a healthy donation if cost is an issue.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby trents » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:20 pm

Yoder, et al.

I do have a suggestion for keeping spammers out but reopening the board to new members.

I am a member of the moderator team for another forum, one that exists for the gluten intolerant community.

Our administrator has set up the rules such that any new member posts must be approved by a moderator before they are visible to the public community. I think the first several posts (3? 5?), in fact, of any new member must be approved by a mod. Once that number of posts from a new member have been approved, then approval is no longer needed. This gives us the ability to filter out spam while making provision for new membership. If we continue to disallow new membership on this Seahawks forum the forum will eventually die.

So, my suggestion is that you create a team of moderators to filter new member postings, approving only those that are legitimate until it is apparent they are not spammers. It would probably only take a couple of mods to manage an online community of this size. They should be existing members who drop in frequently such that it is kept up with.
trents
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:35 pm

So, my suggestion is that you create a team of moderators to filter new member postings, approving only those that are legitimate until it is apparent they are not spammers. It would probably only take a couple of mods to manage an online community of this size. They should be existing members who drop in frequently such that it is kept up with.

Should you decide to go in this direction yoder I'd be willing to serve in such a capacity. I used to be a bouncer IRL, I can probably handle in from a keyboard and I usually check in at least daily. There's some good folks from the Blue I'd like to see able to post here.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:04 pm

trents wrote:So, my suggestion is that you create a team of moderators to filter new member postings, approving only those that are legitimate until it is apparent they are not spammers. It would probably only take a couple of mods to manage an online community of this size. They should be existing members who drop in frequently such that it is kept up with.

c_hawkbob wrote:Should you decide to go in this direction yoder I'd be willing to serve in such a capacity. I used to be a bouncer IRL, I can probably handle in from a keyboard and I usually check in at least daily. There's some good folks from the Blue I'd like to see able to post here.

I think that's a great idea, and I'd be willing to volunteer my services as well. Except for when I'm off grid, I'm in here every day.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby trents » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:35 pm

It occurs to me that if we had a team of moderators to handle some low level administrative tasks as I suggested, it would spread the board maintenance tasks around some to take pressure off of Yoder. Yoder could decide what privileges to grant the mods and which to retain for himself.
trents
Legacy

Postby yoder » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:15 am

These are great ideas, I'd be more than happy to have a little help. It's a bit late so let me figure out how to make this work. Again, thank you to everyone here, it's an awesome community and you are the ones keeping it alive!
yoder
Site Admin

Postby obiken » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:25 pm

I never even realized there was a Seahawk Blue site!!
obiken
Legacy

Return to Off Topic