How bout dem Cougs?

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: How bout dem Cougs?

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:36 pm

Mike Price was much more of a classical A-hole, Leach I think is just VERY different and tries to be funny and comes off that way. I'm sure a lot of his frustration with the situation of his Heisman quality QB being hurt was taken out on those reporters.

Can you elaborate on the player issues he has had? I don't know much about that.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:41 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:Mike Price was much more of a classical A-hole, Leach I think is just VERY different and tries to be funny and comes off that way. I'm sure a lot of his frustration with the situation of his Heisman quality QB being hurt was taken out on those reporters.

Can you elaborate on the player issues he has had? I don't know much about that.

I would provide you with a link but I'm not real familiar with my tablet, but if you Google Mike Leach fired Texas tech you'll find a lot more info than I can provide, but essentially he supposedly forced a player that was complaining of headaches to sit in a confined, dark room while the team practiced. The parent of the player in question just happened to be Craig James, a former NFL player and TV analyst. I think Leach filed suit against TT, but I don't know if it ever got to court or not. Hell, even if it was the best thing for him, a doctor won't force a patient to do something against their objection, not to mention a football coach that is not an MD.

Then there was some issues in his treatment of players at WSU, throwing his OL under the bus by making them publicly apologize for their performance in a post game press conference, had several players quit, lots of complaints from parents of players, etc. The guy is a prick. He'd be the last guy I'd let my kid play for.

Mike Price wasn't a prick, quite the contrary, he was an extremely friendly guy, well liked by all his players. His problem is that he was an alcoholic and a womanizer. Alabama fired him before he coached a single game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:23 am

Price went down in flames for sure. he was a controversial hire and them was busted burning 1500 dollars on the Alabama credit card with 2 hoes in his company before ever coaching a game.

Coming in behind the absolutely useless Paul Wulff I'm sure some kids needed a fire lit under their rear end and didn't like it much.Looks to me like Leaches kids are playing pretty hard now.
Jeezus Bear Bryant and Woody Hayes couldn't get a job in this namby pamby PC environment in college.

The thing with the James kid is weird. Almost to a man the players supported Leach. They viewed James as a spoiled wimp who was only on the roster because of his name.And really? Sitting in a room with the lights dimmed is some sort of torture or malpractice?
IMO if it wasn't for who his father was Leach might still be there. I think he may have actually recovered some damages from the school but not sure.
Either way I believe some coaches are Aholes by nature. Some are soft spoken and some in the middle but all approaches can be successful. Right now Leach is and I'm happy to have the Cougs be relevant.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:58 am

Mike Price was much more of a classical A-hole

He had his moments, but I can tell you from personal experience, he's a very friendly guy and will know your name months later after meeting you once (on a baseball field, even).

I won't defend whatever 'a-hole' things he did, but I like/liked him a lot.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:00 pm

burrrton wrote:He had his moments, but I can tell you from personal experience, he's a very friendly guy and will know your name months later after meeting you once (on a baseball field, even).

I won't defend whatever 'a-hole' things he did, but I like/liked him a lot.

I can confirm that. Price used to come down here once a year during the spring for a golf tournament and my boss got to meet him on several occasions and said essentially the same thing B has said. But he also said that the guy drank like a fish, which coming from WSU, isn't all that surprising. :lol:
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:59 am

the guy drank like a fish, which coming from WSU, isn't all that surprising.

Understatement.

I'll say, though, that drinking at a level most 25-40yo's don't is a common trait among 'higher achievers' in my experience.

I'm not saying it's necessary or majority, but I've partied a little with more 'upper management' types than I can count (and count a number among my close friends), and to a man, they can party until the end of the night and be giving the 7am presentation to a room of 100-1000 like they were in bed by 8pm.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:17 pm

burrrton wrote:Understatement.

I'll say, though, that drinking at a level most 25-40yo's don't is a common trait among 'higher achievers' in my experience.

I'm not saying it's necessary or majority, but I've partied a little with more 'upper management' types than I can count (and count a number among my close friends), and to a man, they can party until the end of the night and be giving the 7am presentation to a room of 100-1000 like they were in bed by 8pm.

Not so with Price. He got so drunk at a strip club that he didn't realize that a hooker was running up $1K on his credit card. That followed a reprimand by the school for closing down bars and flirting with the coeds. Likeable guy but couldn't stay away from the bottle or keep his pants zipped up.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:26 pm

RiverDog wrote:Not so with Price. He got so drunk at a strip club that he didn't realize that a hooker was running up $1K on his credit card. That followed a reprimand by the school for closing down bars and flirting with the coeds. Likeable guy but couldn't stay away from the bottle or keep his pants zipped up.

This is a separate incident than the Alabama one then? Cause with the Bama incident he was well aware of what was going on and intentionally ordered literally everything on the menu, and then refused to leave a tip.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:44 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:This is a separate incident than the Alabama one then? Cause with the Bama incident he was well aware of what was going on and intentionally ordered literally everything on the menu, and then refused to leave a tip.

The incident with Price and the strip club hookers was at a golf tournament in Florida about 5 months or so after his being hired at Alabama and the major event that led to his getting canned. I think Price ended up suing Sports Illustrated for a story they ran about it. IMO it was irresponsible for SI to run a story like that based on the credibility of the hookers, but Price deserved what he got for putting himself in such a compromising position. He might have gotten away with that kind of stuff in a backwater location like Pullman, but not in the middle of SEC country where there's so much competition from so many fierce rivals like Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, and so on. I wouldn't have been surprised if it came out that the strippers were being paid by some booster from Auburn or LSU. Those boys take their football serious down there.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Dear UW,

You're welcome.

Sincerely,

Falk's concussion
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:15 pm

It would have been a lot closer had Falk been able to go, but that was a pretty wide margin of victory to attribute the loss exclusively to one player.

Actually I'm optimistic about both UW and WSU for the near future. It would be nice if both would become relevant on the national scene.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:14 pm

The margin of victory was only so wide because of mistakes directly attributable to a backup QB playing.

I'm not really saying a WSU win was guaranteed with Falk in there, but I think the WSU team I saw with Falk under center would have *waxed* that UW team.

Anyway, this way we get two Washington teams (possibly) in bowl games, so it's a win for us fans.

[edit- this oughta shut up those dickhead Cougs in your office, though!]
burrrton
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:39 pm

I sure hope Falk is good to go for the bowl game. It is nice to see both teams be bowl eligible.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:16 pm

burrrton wrote:The margin of victory was only so wide because of mistakes directly attributable to a backup QB playing.

I'm not really saying a WSU win was guaranteed with Falk in there, but I think the WSU team I saw with Falk under center would have *waxed* that UW team.

Anyway, this way we get two Washington teams (possibly) in bowl games, so it's a win for us fans.

[edit- this oughta shut up those dickhead Cougs in your office, though!]

Not a chance! If a decade's worth of losing football..and basketball...games, including the last 3 straight and last 6 out of 7 Apple Cups isn't enough to shut them up, do you really think losing one game would? Losing does not deter them from acting like pricks. They're used to losing.

I've been off work for 8 weeks, but my understanding was that the Coug diehards had to wear UW gear today. They're lucky I wasn't there or else I would have plastered their cars front to back with UW bumper stickers.

But all that aside, I will be rooting for both teams in the upcoming bowl games.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:29 am

I think its a far different game with the Cougs starter in there. I don't know about a win. The Dawgs looked very good all day on both sides of the ball.
I'm glad to see the northwest schools becoming relevant again and I will have an extra bowl game to give a damn about unlike most years.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:08 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I think its a far different game with the Cougs starter in there. I don't know about a win. The Dawgs looked very good all day on both sides of the ball.
I'm glad to see the northwest schools becoming relevant again and I will have an extra bowl game to give a damn about unlike most years.

Truth.

The dynamics of the game would have undoubtedly changed if Falk played, but who knows how that would have turned out. I suspect that it would have been a lot more competitive, but whether or not that would have resulted in WSU winning is anybody's guess.

Injuries are part of the game, just like the officiating, the weather, and dumb luck.

Speaking of luck, good luck to both the Cougars and the Huskies!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:09 am

WSU will play Miami Hurricanes in the Sun Bowl December 26. (11 am)

UW will play Southern Miss in the Heart of Texas Bowl also on December 26. (11:20 am)

Its a shame that the bowl games are on at the same time.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:53 am

EmeraldBullet wrote:WSU will play Miami Hurricanes in the Sun Bowl December 26. (11 am)

UW will play Southern Miss in the Heart of Texas Bowl also on December 26. (11:20 am)

Its a shame that the bowl games are on at the same time.

That's why God invented Tivo... :)

Agreed, though- what are the chances two of what will probably be 4-odd bowls I give a crap about watching (judging by previous years' matchups) are on at the same dmn time? Sheesh.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:19 pm

The timing of the Cougs going to the Sun Bowl sucks. I have a former Coug friend from my college days that used to live in Las Cruces NM and he always told me to come down and visit some day when the Cougs played in nearby El Paso. He moved two years ago. That would have been a nice trip as I am also planning on going to Phoenix to watch the Fiesta Bowl and Hawks/Cards around New Year's Day, and I have a brother-in-law that lives an hour south of Phoenix. I could have killed 3 or 4 birds with one stone.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Both WA teams won!!! Im really happy with the result. I know most peeps root for one team or the other but I didn't go to either of those schools and I support my state schools in general (and root for the pac 12 other teams in the bowls to rep the conference, 4-0 so far!)
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Although these bowl games aren't worth popping your buttons over, hopefully this is just the beginning. This state's college football teams (outside of Eastern, that is) have sucked for over a decade.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:44 pm

RiverDog wrote:Although these bowl games aren't worth popping your buttons over, hopefully this is just the beginning. This state's college football teams (outside of Eastern, that is) have sucked for over a decade.

Hey, it's a big deal to the players involved and I always am happy when our state shows what we are capable of. First bowl win in over a decade for the cougs. I hope in a couple years its WSU vs UW in the national championship game
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:17 pm

WTG Cougs! How long has it been since the Cougars and the Huskies have both won Bowls games the same season let alone BOTH teams being eligible to go Bowling the same season??? OH, and Miami, The "U" was a big time opponent too.
The Sun Bowl wasn't one of those B.S. Bowls either. The Sun Bowl has always been just a notch below the Big Bowls.

P.S. WTG Huskies, Southern Miss kept right up with them and for 3 quarters I thought that the team that scored last would be the team that won the game. Southern Miss gave the Huskies all that they could handle. it was an enjoyable game.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:13 pm

Good day for the WA schools!!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:23 am

I feel I'm not alone in rooting for both WA teams here! In the pub I was in, a husky fan wanted to fight me and was hoping WSU players got injured. He referred to WSU as 'The Pig F-ers'. I know people love their teams but I haven't been threatened for rooting for a team since living in southern Oregon and cheering loudly for the hawks at a 49er bar. After displaying my taser though the guy declined to challenging me to a fight. Just ridiculous it happened, I was hoping UW won too...sheesh...
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:26 am

So how come there's so many more coug fans than Huskies fans on this site anyhow?

(Congrats to both teams BTW!)
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:25 am

In the pub I was in, a husky fan wanted to fight me and was hoping WSU players got injured. He referred to WSU as 'The Pig F-ers'.

Sounds like the UW analog to the dickheads from WSU that RD works with.

Insecure psychos.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:00 pm

burrrton wrote:Sounds like the UW analog to the dickheads from WSU that RD works with.

Insecure psychos.

The dickheads I work with are quite harmless and don't wish for other players to get hurt or call their opponents pig f**kers. But they are insecure and they are pricks.

I am glad that both teams won their bowl games. I just don't see either win as justification to go out and party like it's 1999. Hopefully both programs will progress to the point where bowl games like these are disappointments rather than spectacular achievements. I'd like to get back to having a horse to root for in a New Year's Day game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Off Topic