The RIP thread

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: The RIP thread

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:34 pm

Yeah, I saw that. My first true heart throb. Man, do I feel old. RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:33 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Oh no! The most beautiful woman that ever lived has died. RIP Raquel Welch.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/raq ... 25372.html

Totally agree.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:40 am

We lost Bud Grant at 95.
One of the greats. He had a hand in developing the Zone Defense in the early years, if I remember correctly and I will always remember him standing in the freezing cold of Minnesota as his teams rolled over the Rams.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:24 pm

NorthHawk wrote:We lost Bud Grant at 95.
One of the greats. He had a hand in developing the Zone Defense in the early years, if I remember correctly and I will always remember him standing in the freezing cold of Minnesota as his teams rolled over the Rams.

Boy, 95. At least he didn't get cheated.

Bud Grant coached in the CFL if I remember correctly. His defense with the Vikings was one of the best in the league and was known as the Purple People Eaters, and featured Carl Eller, Jim Marshall, Alan Page, and one other guy that I can't remember. One of them, Page I think, became a Minnesota Supreme Court Justice. They had some really great teams. Their only problem was that they couldn't win the big one, losing in the Super Bowl in all 4 of their appearances.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:31 pm

Just getting there is an accomplishment and like Marv Levy he never won it all.
Grant both played and coached in the CFL at a time when the money for some was better than the NFL. He became a coach in Winnipeg and was wildly successful which opened the eyes of the NFL teams and he went to Minnesota.
The rest, as we say, is history.

You mentioned Alan Page. He was so good that at the end of his career he dropped something like 30lbs as a DT and used his quickness and experience to dominate the OL. I remember being confused as to why he would do that but his explanation was he would be quicker and get into the backfield before the G/C could react without holding him. They weren't that big back then so he ended up playing at around 220 or 225lbs.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:11 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Just getting there is an accomplishment and like Marv Levy he never won it all.
Grant both played and coached in the CFL at a time when the money for some was better than the NFL. He became a coach in Winnipeg and was wildly successful which opened the eyes of the NFL teams and he went to Minnesota.
The rest, as we say, is history.

You mentioned Alan Page. He was so good that at the end of his career he dropped something like 30lbs as a DT and used his quickness and experience to dominate the OL. I remember being confused as to why he would do that but his explanation was he would be quicker and get into the backfield before the G/C could react without holding him. They weren't that big back then so he ended up playing at around 220 or 225lbs.

My recollections of Bud Grant are that he was very stoic, unemotional, all businesslike, quite unlike his contemporaries such as Vince Lombardi, George Allen, Al Davis, and Hank Stram. He never drew attention to himself, very seldom demonstrated over a bad call. Gotta respect a guy like that.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:23 pm

R.I.P. Rindi - My Brown Eyed Girl. My friend, my lover, my beautiful amazing wife. I loved her for 43 years and she was the foundation of our family. Smart, strong and the absolutely biggest heart every. She was the perfect fit for me....for all time. The pain is suffocating and immeasurable. Go home and honor your wife with your love.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:18 pm

Damn. R.I.P. to your wife, Tri. That's tough. Hope you have friends and family about you.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:45 pm

TriCitySam wrote:R.I.P. Rindi - My Brown Eyed Girl. My friend, my lover, my beautiful amazing wife. I loved her for 43 years and she was the foundation of our family. Smart, strong and the absolutely biggest heart every. She was the perfect fit for me....for all time. The pain is suffocating and immeasurable. Go home and honor your wife with your love.

Holy cow, Sam! My heart goes out to you, my friend! Please accept my sincere condolences. May she rest in peace. And what a beautiful suggestion.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:19 pm

TriCitySam wrote:R.I.P. Rindi - My Brown Eyed Girl. My friend, my lover, my beautiful amazing wife. I loved her for 43 years and she was the foundation of our family. Smart, strong and the absolutely biggest heart every. She was the perfect fit for me....for all time. The pain is suffocating and immeasurable. Go home and honor your wife with your love.

I have no words man, sorry just doesn't say it. RIP Rindy.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:18 am

Man I am so sorry . Hard to even hold up reading that . My condolences
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:06 am

I am so sorry to hear this and I wish that there was something I could do or say to ease the pain. RIP- Randi, it sounds like you were one of the good ones and you will be missed dearly by those you loved.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri May 19, 2023 12:46 pm

RIP Jim Brown. No one ever did it better.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri May 19, 2023 1:18 pm

The old tough guy has fallen. RIP Jim Brown. That was a hard dude.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon May 22, 2023 5:24 am

Jimmy Brown was the first football 'star' that I can recollect from my childhood. He was awesome, had a unique combination of speed and power. I still regard him as the best football player, or at least the best running back, that I've ever seen.

But Brown had difficulty compartmentalizing that toughness and attitude and limit to the football field. He had a number of off field incidents, mostly involving a woman, where he couldn't contain his temper. He was never convicted of a crime, but similar to the DeShawn Watson case, the number of allegations lodged against him makes it difficult to rationalize all of them. Additionally, you have to consider the days and times of the 50's-70's. Women were much less likely to file a sexually related accusation than they are nowadays. They would call the cops on him then refuse, or be talked out of, filing charges. Being the victim of a sex crime had a social stigma attached to it, made women feel like they were damaged goods.

But his other contributions to society at least to some degree tended to balance out his human flaws.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon May 22, 2023 3:13 pm

R.I.P. Ray Stevenson at 58. Way too young to go. Great actor. I really enjoyed him in the Rome series as Titus Pullo. He was good in the Clive Owen version of King Arthur as Dagonet.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon May 22, 2023 4:14 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:R.I.P. Ray Stevenson at 58. Way too young to go. Great actor. I really enjoyed him in the Rome series as Titus Pullo. He was good in the Clive Owen version of King Arthur as Dagonet.

I've really lost interest in the movies that have come out of Hollywood since the turn of the century, so I wasn't even aware of who Ray Stevenson was until this morning when I read of his passing. However, anytime I see someone pass away at that age, ie 58 years old, it makes me think about losing my dad. He died of lung cancer two days before his 60th birthday. It's one thing to lose a loved one when they've lived a long life....my mom died at 88 years old, and her passing wasn't nearly as traumatic...but when I lost my dad, I got the sensation that I had been cheated out of at least 20 years with my best friend.

So my heart goes out to Stevenson's loved ones. 58 years old is way too young. RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed May 24, 2023 1:09 pm

R.I.P. Tina Turner. I remember her videos on MTV when it first started back in the 80s. "What's Love Got To Do With It" was huge when she made her comeback. She was in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome as Auntie. I enjoyed her in that role.

Definitely an iconic music star of multiple eras. Big voice and nice legs.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed May 24, 2023 1:51 pm

RIP Acid Queen.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu May 25, 2023 3:16 am

In Jimmy Brown's obit, we were talking about his history of abusing women. Tina was a DV victim at the hands of her husband Ike Turner.

Tina Turner made some great music that spanned several decades. RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:38 pm

RIP Tony Bennet. Next to Sinatra my favorite Crooner.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:38 am

Bennett and Sinatra were a bit before my time, and I don't remember my parents playing a lot of their music. Nat King Cole, Herb Albert, etc, but nothing about hearts in San Francisco.

Bennett was quite a guy. He was an accomplished painter with works that are in the Smithsonian. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's back in 2016 but continued singing with his last performance coming last year on his 95th birthday. RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:03 am

Before my time too but even though I'm primarily a rocker both ore in my Prime Music mix.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:37 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Before my time too but even though I'm primarily a rocker both ore in my Prime Music mix.

If I listen to music from that period of time, it's usually jazz or the big band stuff, ie Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey, etc. But the old lady doesn't like having any music at all on, so I rarely listen to any music.

At 96, Bennett lived a full life and didn't sit still for time to pass him by.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:58 pm

RIP Robbie Robertson, one of my favorite guitarists.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:14 am

Yah, he was one of those people who the industry respected more than the audience, although there are a few who really understand how good he was, he wasn't celebrated as a guitarist and writer like others.
A real pioneer in Rock and he will be missed.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:46 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Yah, he was one of those people who the industry respected more than the audience, although there are a few who really understand how good he was, he wasn't celebrated as a guitarist and writer like others.
A real pioneer in Rock and he will be missed.

Agreed. He belongs in the same conversation as Springsteen and Neil Young. I was personally a bigger fan of his solo work as with The Band (not that I don't love them too!) and like another very underrated guitarist and composer Trevor Rabin he did a lot of work like movie musical score and production.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:25 pm

Johnny Hardwick passed on 08/08/2023

Voice actor, comedian, and writer. Most well known as the voice of Dale Gribble (a.k.a. Rusty Shackleford a.k.a. Sparky Wilson) on King of the Hill.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby yoder » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:19 pm

Alex Collins. I know there's a thread on the main forum, but he deserves a place here.
yoder
Site Admin

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:33 pm

yoder wrote:Alex Collins. I know there's a thread on the main forum, but he deserves a place here.

It's sad and I'm sure he was a nice guy and that his family loved him. We'll have to see what the investigation revels, but based on initial reports, it would appear that he got killed doing something stupid and that his death was self-inflicted and preventable. Perhaps his passing will be a wakeup call to others that insist on living on the edge.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:22 pm

RiverDog wrote:
It's sad and I'm sure he was a nice guy and that his family loved him. We'll have to see what the investigation revels, but based on initial reports, it would appear that he got killed doing something stupid and that his death was self-inflicted and preventable. Perhaps his passing will be a wakeup call to others that insist on living on the edge.

RIP.

I'm not sure how you see that as anything more than a possibility. What looks more likely to me is that the other driver made a left turn in front of him without ceding right of way. I don't see all y'alls assumptions in the other thread nearly as conclusive as you seem to, I wait till the real accident reconstruction experts report is available before declaring him at fault.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:38 am

RiverDog wrote:

RIP.

c_hawkbob wrote:I'm not sure how you see that as anything more than a possibility. What looks more likely to me is that the other driver made a left turn in front of him without ceding right of way. I don't see all y'alls assumptions in the other thread nearly as conclusive as you seem to, I wait till the real accident reconstruction experts report is available before declaring him at fault.

As we discussed in the thread about him in the main forum, Collins hit the large full-sized SUV, a 2002 Chevy Suburban with a gross weight between 5400 and 6200 lbs., so hard that it spun it around and projected him through the side windshield and into the cargo section, killing him almost instantly (he was dead at the scene). He had to have been going at a very high rate of speed in order to have hit the SUV with that kind of force. Judging by what can be observed of the accident scene on Google Maps, it was not a highway with a 60+ mph speed limit, to the contrary, it was a light commercial/neighborhood arterial street with sidewalks, a tree lined center median on one side of the intersection, and unlimited access. It's pretty obvious that Collins' excessive speed, if not the cause of the accident, was a major factor in the severity of the injuries he suffered. Additionally, one has to consider that Collins was riding a "crotch rocket", a low visibility bike requiring the driver to lean forward in the racing position and at night (10:20pm), facts that almost certainly were contributing factors to the accident.

Since I'm not a judge or a jurist, I'll go ahead and jump to my own conclusions based on the information we have available but will reserve my right to change my mind should other facts come to light.
Last edited by RiverDog on Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:12 am

Again, I question your assumption regarding the reconstruction of the accident. I witnessed a car vs motorcycle wreck at the end of my driveway wherein the car was pulling out of a driveway across the street and the bike was travelling about 50 MPH and the bike wound up a lot less recognizable as a motorcycle than Collins' did: Image
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:22 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Again, I question your assumption regarding the reconstruction of the accident. I witnessed a car vs motorcycle wreck at the end of my driveway wherein the car was pulling out of a driveway across the street and the bike was travelling about 50 MPH and the bike wound up a lot less recognizable as a motorcycle than Collins' did: Image

Collins' bike struck the SUV on its side, a T-bone collision. The bike did not get run over by the vehicle, which could account for it looking less damaged than the one you witnessed.

Did the motorcycle accident you saw spin a 3-ton vehicle? Take a look at Mack's post in the thread in the main forum where he did some homework on the physics of the accident. It's pretty obvious that he had to be going at a pretty high rate of speed in order to spin a Chevy Suburban.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:31 am

I've read it, all of it, and I still say none of you are qualified to properly reconstruct an accident.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:34 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I've read it, all of it, and I still say none of you are qualified to properly reconstruct an accident.

Neither Mack nor I ever claimed to be qualified to reconstruct motor vehicle accidents. However, a lack of qualifications does not preclude us from using our common sense in taking into account known facts: A small, low profile racing style bike at night on a city street colliding with enough force to propel a 220 lb human body through a shatter proof windshield designed to pop outward and to spin a 3 ton vehicle, killing him instantly.

If you want to ignore or rationalize those facts, be my guest. But unless compelling information arises that would cause me to change my mind, I'm standing by my assessment that excessive speed combined with low visibility were major factors in Collins' most unfortunate death.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:48 pm

Gary Wright died today. I saw him open for Peter Frampton in 75 or 76. RIP Dream Weaver.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:32 am

Jimmy Buffett also left us this past weekend. He sure made something of himself with his brand. It seems it was something a lot of the world was looking for with his songs.
Apparently he was one of the richest entertainers worth well over a billion dollars from his various enterprises and music sales.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:27 am

I always got Jimmy Buffett mixed up with Freddie Fender ("Wasted days and wasted nights").

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:22 pm

David McCallum has passed. RIP Ducky.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dav ... 15283.html
c_hawkbob
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic