The RIP thread

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: The RIP thread

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:17 am

I was never much of a boxing fan and haven't watched a full boxing match since Ali retired, so all I know about Marvin Hagler is that I recognize the name.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:26 am

Hagler was absolutely as tough as they come. Was a big fan! RIP.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:35 am

His fights against Antifurmo (sp) were savage. I couldn't believe how much punishment each delivered and took in those fights.
Duran was the same way, but not quite as bloody.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:43 am

His battle with hit man tommy hearns involved one of the most violent 3 minutes in boxing history in the first round . I drove to Spokane with my best friend to watch him vs sugar ray on closed circuit . Leonard stole round after round with late flurries although he never hurt Haggler. Marvin retired after losing by decision and neither Sugar Ray or Haglers agent could change his mind about a mega deal rematch worth many millions . He said he had seen too
Many fighters who stayed too long shuffling and drooling. By all accounts he had a great retirement , moved to Italy and did some acting, kept his money and had a great life til it’s premature end . Rip
Marvin .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:49 am

Hawktawk wrote:His battle with hit man tommy hearns involved one of the most violent 3 minutes in boxing history in the first round . I drove to Spokane with my best friend to watch him vs sugar ray on closed circuit . Leonard stole round after round with late flurries although he never hurt Haggler. Marvin retired after losing by decision and neither Sugar Ray or Haglers agent could change his mind about a mega deal rematch worth many millions . He said he had seen too
Many fighters who stayed too long shuffling and drooling. By all accounts he had a great retirement , moved to Italy and did some acting, kept his money and had a great life til it’s premature end . Rip
Marvin .

Your drive to Spokane to watch Sugar Ray vs. Hagler highlights one of my reasons for falling off the boxing bandwagon. It used to be that heavyweight championship bouts were shown live on network TV in prime time. Once they went to closed circuit TV and it's offspring pay-per-view, they cut off casual fans like myself.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:58 am

They are having championship fights now. But Boxing isn't what it used to be, either.
I've seen some good fights lately, but the names aren't memorable like they used to be.
Mostly because they are younger fighters who haven't made much of a name for themselves.
I suppose the popularity of MMA has drained the viewership and probably athletes from boxing, as well.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:41 pm

NorthHawk wrote:They are having championship fights now. But Boxing isn't what it used to be, either.
I've seen some good fights lately, but the names aren't memorable like they used to be.
Mostly because they are younger fighters who haven't made much of a name for themselves.
I suppose the popularity of MMA has drained the viewership and probably athletes from boxing, as well.

And yet MMA does not make the money boxing does. I don't know many boxers any more. I also stopped following MMA as well after they went to rounds and different rules. I watched MMA when it first started because it was the closest thing to a real test of martial skills against each other that existed. Boxing is a sport, not a fight. MMA used to be a fight, now it's closer to a sport. Top level boxers still make more money than top MMA guys. But MMA seems more popular given the sheer volume of shows MMA seems able to support.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:47 pm

NorthHawk wrote:They are having championship fights now. But Boxing isn't what it used to be, either.

By network TV, I mean ABC, CBS, NBC, and nowadays Fox. I might be mistaken and I'd appreciate a correction if I'm wrong, but I don't recall a WBA championship (or whatever the official organization is called) being televised on network TV in prime time for decades.

My dad told me that back in the 50's, boxing used to be on network tv in prime time 5 days a week. High schools had boxing teams and any town of any size at all had a boxing club. My cousin, about 6 years older than me, boxed for the Dayton (WA) Boxing Club and he participated in the Golden Gloves tournament held annually in Tacoma. I can remember "smokers" featuring local boxers being held occasionally in my home town of Walla Walla.

I'm curious if Hagler's death was related to any kind of head trauma he might have suffered. 66 is a relatively young age. I know it was a contributing factor in Ali's death.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:25 pm

I’ve seen some championship bouts on I think Fox in the last couple of months. Usually on Saturday nights.

66 is young and maybe his career was in part a cause but the last thing I read the cause was not disclosed. Normally when a sports
figure dies with a known cause we’ve heard he had that condition before his death.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:50 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I’ve seen some championship bouts on I think Fox in the last couple of months. Usually on Saturday nights.

OK, thanks. Of course, with the way TV is diluted with thousands of channels, network prime time doesn't have the audience it had prior to the 1980's.

NorthHawk wrote:66 is young and maybe his career was in part a cause but the last thing I read the cause was not disclosed. Normally when a sports
figure dies with a known cause we’ve heard he had that condition before his death.

HIPAA laws protect certain information contained on death certificates from release to the public without consent of the family or some sort of expressed desire by the deceased, so it's very possible that Hagler could have had some long term traumatic injury that contributed to his passing but that his family or Hagler himself chose not to release the information.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:40 am

Just read this morning that tommy hearns is pushing a story that hagler was vaccinated 2 weeks ago and had a reaction which led to his death . Can not make it up . Just what the anti vax crowd wants to hear
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:46 am

Hawktawk wrote:Just read this morning that tommy hearns is pushing a story that hagler was vaccinated 2 weeks ago and had a reaction which led to his death . Can not make it up . Just what the anti vax crowd wants to hear

Yeah, that's all we need. I see where Facebook is tagging all posts about vaccines in order to counter this misinformation that's being spread.

Hank Aaron died a few weeks after receiving a Covid vaccination, too. I'm surprised that the anti vax crowd didn't pounce on that opportunity. Aaron was a far larger figure than Hagler.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:51 am

Hawktawk wrote:Just read this morning that tommy hearns is pushing a story that hagler was vaccinated 2 weeks ago and had a reaction which led to his death . Can not make it up . Just what the anti vax crowd wants to hear

So far there have been 0.0018% reported deaths among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine. CDC and FDA physicians review each case report of death as soon as notified and CDC requests medical records to further assess reports. A review of available clinical information including death certificates, autopsy, and medical records revealed no evidence that vaccination contributed to patient deaths.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:18 am

If you vaccinate 100% of the population, there will still be deaths.
So far, the evidence I have seen and heard from researchers is the rate of death after being vaccinated is the same as those not vaccinated and falls within the normally occurring range.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:05 am

Colin Powell died yesterday at the age of 84 from complications from Covid.

Powell was fully vaccinated, however, he was fighting multiple myeloma, a blood cancer that significantly hampers the immune system.

The man was truly a pioneer, the first black National Security Advisor (to Ronald Reagan), first black Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (under Bush 41), and first black Secretary of State (under Bush 43).

Rest in peace.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:50 am

R.I.P. Colin Powell. I thought he would run for president. I probably would have voted for him. He always seemed like a level-headed man.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:56 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:R.I.P. Colin Powell. I thought he would run for president. I probably would have voted for him. He always seemed like a level-headed man.

Yep, me, too.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:42 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:R.I.P. Colin Powell. I thought he would run for president. I probably would have voted for him. He always seemed like a level-headed man.

RiverDog wrote:Yep, me, too.

Me three. When it comes to picking a president character over political affiliation every time.

RIP Sir.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:15 pm

Former Senator, VP nominee, and POTUS nominee Bob Dole died today at age 98.

Dole was a decorated WWII veteran, seriously wounded by a German shell that struck his upper back and right arm, shattering his collarbone and part of his spine in April of 1945 in Italy during the waning days of the war. Dole never regained full use of his right arm. He was Gerald Ford's running mate in the 1976 presidential election, Senate Majority Leader in the 90's, and was the Republican nominee for POTUS in 1996.

Nice guy, good sense of humor. If I had the power, I'd replace the current administration and about 535 members of Congress with Bob Dole clones.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:34 am

There’s no Bob Dole in the congress . A man who entered congress as a partisan and wound up a statesman , a bridge builder. A great man that would have been a great president , he just couldn’t BS as well as his opponents . RIP. Thank you for your service .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:27 am

Dole had a great sense of humor. After his 1976 VP debate with Walter Mondale, which didn't go well for him, Dole said that "I went for the jugular, but it was my own." He also had a funny commercial with a young, sexy Britney Spears.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:33 am

RiverDog wrote:Dole had a great sense of humor. After his 1976 VP debate with Walter Mondale, which didn't go well for him, Dole said that "I went for the jugular, but it was my own." He also had a funny commercial with a young, sexy Britney Spears.

I remember during the campaign with Clinton Dole fell off the back of a stage . Probably 10 feet at least . He came to the microphone and said he had 3 personal injury attorneys calling him before he hit the ground . :lol:
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:07 am

Dole also referred to the Nixon Administration as "See no evil, hear no evil, and evil (Nixon)." Can you imagine how Trump would have reacted if a member of his party made a similar reference? Geez, I miss him already.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:07 pm

RIP John Miles, singer-songwriter, guitarist and vocalists in one of my faves, The Alan Parsons Project.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:34 am

Add Demaryius Thomas dead in his home of undetermined causes at 33. That was a man . RIP
https://www.nfl.com/news/former-broncos ... -age-of-33
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:13 am

I saw that last night.
So very young, and so very sad to lose him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:51 am

Yeah, I saw that, too. Quite a shock. They didn't disclose an exact cause, only that it was a medical issue.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:24 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, I saw that, too. Quite a shock. They didn't disclose an exact cause, only that it was a medical issue.

RIP.

On NFLN they said it could be related to an auto accident he had in 2018, which leads me to think something like a blood clot.

Tragic. RIP.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Al Unser died today at 82 as well. No cause given in the article I read. Fast dude.

RIP.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:35 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, I saw that, too. Quite a shock. They didn't disclose an exact cause, only that it was a medical issue.

RIP.

c_hawkbob wrote:On NFLN they said it could be related to an auto accident he had in 2018, which leads me to think something like a blood clot.

Tragic. RIP.

They're now saying that he died of a seizure:

The family of Demaryius Thomas believes he died from a seizure, relatives told the Associated Press.

The former Broncos wide receiver “had been suffering from seizures for over a year,” LaTonya Bonseigneur, Thomas’ cousin, said Friday.

Bonseigneur — who grew up with Thomas in Montrose Ga., and considered him a sibling — said the family believes he suffered a seizure while he was showering.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/10/demaryius ... d-seizure/
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:07 pm

Seizure? Damn. Terrible to pass at 33. R.I.P. Thomas. Too young an age to die.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:54 pm

RIP John Madden. Best color commentator in NFL history, and a hell of a coach.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:55 pm

He may have been even more popular after he retired, but was a damn good coach, too.
I'm glad he got to the HoF early enough to hear the respect from other coaches and players and his influence and memory
will continue with the video games.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:08 pm

I just saw that. I sort of felt something was up as they were doing some specials on him this weekend so it must have been more or less expected.

He was an average to above average coach but between his commercials, broadcasting career, and video games turned himself into a household name and face of the league. When judged by his entire contributions to the game his gold jacket was well deserved.

I started out not liking him as I was as anti Raiders as the come and didn't like him when he started out as a color commentator. But as he matured and quit ending every sentence with "boom", I felt he was the best and most insightful commentators in the industry. Plus he seemed like a very likable man, a guy you could sit down with and have a beer with.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:59 am

Madden was one of the big faces and personalities of the NFL for years. R.I.P. You made football fun to listen to.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:17 am

For much of his early adulthood, Madden acted like a little kid on a sugar high, like Pete Carroll on steroids. He was getting close to being over exposed. You see him break through a poster once and it's funny, but when you see it for the 50th time it tends to lose its effectiveness, like "oh, no, not him again." I found him extremely annoying.

Then sometime in the mid-late 90's, he started to change. He was a lot more level headed, quit yelling over the mike, explained the finer aspects of the game in simple terms that a layman could understand, and was without a doubt the most insightful and intelligent color commentators in the business. I have a hard time coming up with another color man that equals what he was able to do during the last 10-20 years or so of his broadcasting career.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:24 am

I saw Madden exactly the same as a broadcaster . Better as he aged . I think they were planning a special on him on NFL network which was the reason for all the ads . His death was described as unexpected . I related to the madden cruiser . I wish I had one for long trips because like him I fear no man but when the wheels lift off pure misery . Still recall he and Micheals trying to make sense of the abortion that was XL. Like John on Locklears hold *shawn wasn’t bad there” or Micheals “ that looked a lot like a horse collar but they probably aren’t going to call that “( both men laugh :D )

rip coach . You were a great one
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:26 pm

RIP Betty White, one of my favorite characters ever.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:16 pm

Just before her 100th birthday, too. So sad.

My favorite roll that Betty White played was that of Sue Ann Nivens, a sort of narcistic, somewhat slutty middle aged woman on the Mary Tyler Moore show, one of all time favorite sitcoms of the 50's. Fantastic acting.

RIP
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:48 am

RiverDog wrote:Just before her 100th birthday, too. So sad.

My favorite roll that Betty White played was that of Sue Ann Nivens, a sort of narcistic, somewhat slutty middle aged woman on the Mary Tyler Moore show, one of all time favorite sitcoms of the 50's. Fantastic acting.

RIP

Apparently that was supposed to be a one time guest appearance, but she portrayed that character so well that she became a big part of the cast.
I guess she was one of the last links to the glamor age of the late 50's to the 70's but she was lucky to do what she loved for so long and didn't
slowly succumb to the ravages of old age and suffer from major health issues.
NorthHawk
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic