The RIP thread

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: The RIP thread

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:04 am

Betty white kind of made her luck . So positive minded and humorous . Amazing . Rip
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:16 am

RiverDog wrote:Just before her 100th birthday, too. So sad.

My favorite roll that Betty White played was that of Sue Ann Nivens, a sort of narcistic, somewhat slutty middle aged woman on the Mary Tyler Moore show, one of all time favorite sitcoms of the 50's. Fantastic acting.

RIP

NorthHawk wrote:Apparently, that was supposed to be a one time guest appearance, but she portrayed that character so well that she became a big part of the cast.

I guess she was one of the last links to the glamor age of the late 50's to the 70's but she was lucky to do what she loved for so long and didn't
slowly succumb to the ravages of old age and suffer from major health issues.

I never realized that her character was supposed to be one and done, but you're right, she was perfect for that role of Sue Ann Nivens and played it extremely well with her back handed compliments and flirtatious attitude that always got a laugh out of me.

She, indeed, was very fortunate to have kept her wits about her as she aged.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:26 pm

R.I.P. Sidney Poitier. A real trailblazer. I always enjoyed his acting performances and Stir Crazy was one of my favorite Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder combinations that he directed. Great actor who always carried himself well.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:02 am

Sidney Poitier was truly a pioneer, and the films he appeared in back in the late 60's and early 70's, including "In The Heat Of The Night", "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?" and "To Sir, With Love" helped highlight the civil rights issues for many of ordinary Americans of all races and generations and was without a doubt one of my favorite actors that helped form my own attitude.

RIP
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:28 am

RIP Meatloaf. Bat Out of Hell was a masterpiece.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:38 pm

RIP Howard Hessemen. Dr. Johnny Fever was my favorite character on WKRP in Cincinnati. Enjoyed him in almost anything he was in.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:45 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:RIP Howard Hessemen. Dr. Johnny Fever was my favorite character on WKRP in Cincinnati. Enjoyed him in almost anything he was in.

Aw, man, that sucks. WKRP was one of my all time favorite sitcoms, and Hessman played Johnny Fever to a 'T', actually spent 3 months in jail once for marijuana possession so he fit the role perfectly. But I had a lot of favorites on that show. They were all great actors/actresses.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:41 am

RIP Dwayne Haskins.
Struck and killed by a car in Florida. He was only 24.
His career didn't go as planned, but he looked to be trying to get it back on track.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:45 am

Tragic accident.

He was on foot on an interstate freeway in south Florida and struck by a dump truck at about 6:30am on a Saturday morning. Investigation is ongoing.

Very unusual to say the least.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dway ... OmDaMC5CSo

RIP
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:35 pm

Although some questions remain, they've released a few more details surrounding the accident that killed Haskins:

“Mr. Haskins was walking on a limited access facility highway/expressway for unknown reasons,” FHP said in a statement. “He was attempting to cross the westbound lanes of Interstate 595 when there was oncoming traffic. Unfortunately, he collided with an oncoming dump truck.”

Haskins was pronounced dead at the scene, FHP spokesperson Lt. Indiana Miranda confirmed to The Associated Press.

WPXI-TV, citing DK Pittsburgh Sports, said Haskins was driving to the airport to return to Pittsburgh and stopped his vehicle to get out when he was hit by the dump truck.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/ste ... 2jhjbQ_IqU
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:03 pm

I heard a report he may have run out of fuel . I certainly hope it wasn’t intentional. His career wasn’t much but he was a gentle soul and a friend to many . RIP Duane .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:20 am

Hawktawk wrote:I heard a report he may have run out of fuel . I certainly hope it wasn’t intentional. His career wasn’t much but he was a gentle soul and a friend to many . RIP Duane .

There has been no indication whatsoever that foul play was involved. It was a commercial vehicle, a dump truck, so it would be very, very unlikely to have been intentional. Reports are that Haskins was crossing lanes of traffic when he was struck. The driver of the dump truck has been described by the police as being in full cooperation.

Running out of fuel also seems strange. On an interstate freeway in south Florida, there should have been plenty of gas stations available, and with today's instrumentation, you start getting warnings when your estimated range dips below 100 miles or so. You just don't see people running out of gas like you used to. Besides, if I were to run out of gas or have some other car trouble, I'd whip out my cell phone and call 911, a friend or roadside assistance before I'd leave my vehicle on foot. In south Florida in April at 6:30 in the morning on an interstate freeway, I'd just make sure the car was in a safe spot, turn on the 4 way blinkers, raise the hood (a distress signal) and sit in or by it until help arrived.

At this point, nothing makes sense, and it's way too premature to speculate as to what Haskins was doing in the middle of an interstate freeway at 6:30am on a Saturday morning. I'm sure the driver of the dump truck will have to submit to a blood test and that a toxicology exam will be performed as part of the autopsy on Haskins.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:16 am

Honestly I don’t want to go there but my fear is that Haskins committed suicide by dump truck . He’s had a lot of problems in the league with depression and an inability to learn . I sure hope not .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:52 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Honestly I don’t want to go there but my fear is that Haskins committed suicide by dump truck . He’s had a lot of problems in the league with depression and an inability to learn . I sure hope not .

Haskins had been working out with QB Mitch Turbisky and a couple of the Steelers receivers and tight ends, so if he was suffering from depression, he kept it pretty well hidden. But it is one of the few possible explanations that would make some sort of sense.

I haven't heard if his car was found on the freeway and if so, what kind of condition it was in.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:51 pm

Daryle Lamonica passed today.
The Mad Bomber of my youth was 80 years old.
In a running league he was throwing deep at a seemingly crazy rate.
Or so my memory thinks it was how it went.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:24 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Daryle Lamonica passed today.
The Mad Bomber of my youth was 80 years old.
In a running league he was throwing deep at a seemingly crazy rate.
Or so my memory thinks it was how it went.

Oh, jeez. Another of my childhood favorites gone.

The Raiders weren't my favorite team as I liked the Chiefs in the AFL back then, but I liked how Lamonica could chuck the rock. His "Mad Bomber" moniker was well deserved. One thing that sticks out about him in my memory was those thick, black eyebrows of his.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:50 am

James Caan died today.
He played Brian Piccolo.
He was 82.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:32 pm

Sonny finally went down for real. R.I.P. James Caan. Old school tough guy that doesn't much exist in acting today.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:22 pm

Man, another one of my favorite actors.

Brian's Song was literally a Godsend. I can remember when it was released and seeing it on TV. The nation was just coming out of a lot of turmoil with some of the worst race riots the country had ever seen, and it was extremely refreshing to see a true life mixed race friendship. It helped with the healing process. Caan played the role to perfection, as did Billy Dee Williams portrayal of Gale Sayers.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:19 pm

R.I.P. Uhura aka Nichelle Nichols. Part of the Star Trek crew that made America want to travel where no man has gone before.

R.I.P. Bill Russell. Not much of a Celtics fan, but Bill's NBA accomplishments were nothing short of amazing. The player of his era.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:12 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:R.I.P. Uhura aka Nichelle Nichols. Part of the Star Trek crew that made America want to travel where no man has gone before.

I saw an interview with Nicole Nichols once, and she was going to quit the cast of Star Trek over a pay issue but got talked out of it when Martin Luther King called her and told her how important she was to young blacks to have her on that cast. She was also half of the first interracial kiss (William Shatner was her partner) telecast nationwide.

Aseahawkfan wrote:R.I.P. Bill Russell. Not much of a Celtics fan, but Bill's NBA accomplishments were nothing short of amazing. The player of his era.

Russell's playing days were just a little before I started watching NBA basketball, but I liked him as a commentator and as the Sonics head coach. He once talked about getting upset at his predominately black team excluding a white player from their social circle, chewed them out by telling them that he knew exactly how the man felt as he had to endure situations as the only black on an otherwise all white team.

RIP to both.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:38 pm

RIP to both.

I got to shake Bill Russell's hand when he was Sonics coach. Never met Ms. Nichols but I remember her and Kirk kissing and freaking my dad out.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:38 am

c_hawkbob wrote:RIP to both.

I got to shake Bill Russell's hand when he was Sonics coach. Never met Ms. Nichols but I remember her and Kirk kissing and freaking my dad out.

Cool! I've shook hands with just two HOF'ers: Bob Feller and Walter Jones.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:05 am

Vin Scully, the voice of the Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers for 67 years, died at 94.

Scully was featured in my favorite sports documentary, "Baseball" by Ken Burns, that I've rewatched numerous times.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:16 am

What I found fascinating was listening to Scully call baseball games all by himself even at the end of his career.
He could just talk about all things baseball for the whole show and be different the next game. He had a rare comfort with silence as the game was played and didn't try to shout over the cheering.
67 years in broadcasting for one team. A hell of a career.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:16 am

NorthHawk wrote:What I found fascinating was listening to Scully call baseball games all by himself even at the end of his career.
He could just talk about all things baseball for the whole show and be different the next game. He had a rare comfort with silence as the game was played and didn't try to shout over the cheering.
67 years in broadcasting for one team. A hell of a career.

Yeah, he and Hot Rod Hundley were my all time favorite broadcasters. RIP to the both of them.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:53 pm

Olivia Newton-John……
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:10 pm

R.I.P. Olivia Newton-John. I liked Grease and Xanadu.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:38 am

It's so sad about Olivia Newton-John. She was a hot babe in her day as I can remember myself and my college roommates making comments about our desires. One of my favorite female vocalists. RIP.

Another notable personality passed away yesterday. David McCullogh, a historian, author, and narrator, one of my all time favorites. I've read several of his books and watched a number of documentaries that he's narrated and injected his comments into. RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:06 am

RIP Len Dawson, Mr KC Chiefs.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:43 am

Dawson was a late bloomer but he made up for it once he got the starting job in KC.
He was also pretty good in the playbooth describing what was going on on the field.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:11 am

Franco Harris died on Wednesday Dec 20th.
One of the surprisingly good RBs who seemed to come out of nowhere and became a real star in the NFL even if you discount the immaculate reception.
Last edited by NorthHawk on Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:50 am

Spent some time in a Seahawks uniform too. RIP Franco.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:33 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Spent some time in a Seahawks uniform too. RIP Franco.

I'd forgotten about that.

There were more talented RB's during his era. I remember Jimmy Brown complaining that Harris was going to "break my record by running out of bounds", indicating that he wasn't the type of back to lower his head and fight for extra yardage. Brown went on to say that Walter Payton was legitimate. Nevertheless, he did gain the yards and was deserving of the HOF.

72 is way too young. RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:56 pm

R.I.P. Franco. One of the key figures in those Cowboy-Steeler matchups I watched when a small kid.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:50 pm

I am crushed! The best guitarist I ever saw just died.

RIP Jeff Beck: GOAT.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:02 pm

Lisa Marie Presley. So sad. She looked pretty awful at the Golden Globes the other night. Her son died of suicide two years ago. Poor lady. She’s had heart problems and obviously her dad did as well.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:10 am

Stream Hawk wrote:Lisa Marie Presley. So sad. She looked pretty awful at the Golden Globes the other night. Her son died of suicide two years ago. Poor lady. She’s had heart problems and obviously her dad did as well.

I'm not sure what the cause of Lisa Marie's heart problems were, but to say her dad had heart problems, while being a true statement, is a bit misleading as to his cause of death.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:30 am

Fair enough. Alcohol, drugs, heart disease, and probably more. RIP to Lisa Marie.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:29 pm

Oh no! The most beautiful woman that ever lived has died. RIP Raquel Welch.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/raq ... 25372.html
c_hawkbob
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic